[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starbound or Terraria

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 10

File: maxresdefault.jpg (72KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
72KB, 1280x720px
Terraria has recieved good reviews since the beginning, but Starbound released a new update that is getting very positive feedback on Steam.

What do you guys prefer and why? I'm trying to decide which one to star playing again. I own both.
>>
terraria, its simple and fun, i played it with people on /v/, /vg/, and people irl
now post tits, i know youre female
>>
>>359997146
Yeah post feet OP
>>
>>359996945

Starbound looks great but the last time I played it had about fifteen minutes of actual content all located in a single quest hub area surrounded by thousands of miles of emptiness.
>>
>>359996945
Since I've only played Starbound before there was a questing system I can't really compare on this fact. But back in the day the monsters in Starbound were way fucking harder than in Terraria, even regular ones. Planets were enjoyable to explore. Crafting on the other hand goes straight to Terraria. Also it just feels way more complete in general.
>>
File: IMG-004563.jpg (126KB, 1000x750px)
IMG-004563.jpg
126KB, 1000x750px
>>359997454
I'm honestly waiting for the PS4 version, it will be more comfy
>>
>>359996945
supposedly starbound is getting a new update soon
>>
>>359997947
Nice.

>>359997969
It just did recently. There is a deeper main quest now.

I just did a quick Google for polls and every poll seems to prefer Starbound
>>
>>359997947
who is this cute boy
>>
>>359998110
This was in like the last 15 hours
>>
Before anyone tell you Starbound is shit, quickly discard their opinions. People got pissy because the game took forever to update early on. As a game at this given moment (the present not the fucking past) it is far from being a bad game. Though it claim to be a sandbox with a story than a progressive game like Terraria. Starbound is a game where you explore, find new things, build a giant HQ while filling those empty rooms with colonists that will join your crew if you help them out enough. You make mostly personal progress, if you are expecting a world destroying sword for completing the main story then you may as well ignore the main story, there is nothing worthwhile to be gained from it. It is only there to encourage you to start exploring.

Starbound will get old and feel empty after a while (a mod call Frackin' Universe can help with that as it add it's own series of quests and content) but if you love to build and roleplay then you can easily get more hours off of it then Terraria. The issue though is a lot of people like to think they enjoy roleplaying but don't really.

With all of that being said Terraria while overall shorter (though mostly due to being more dense and less time wasting) is a much better experience. It can just give you the wrong mindset if you do ever get into Starbound as they require you to think differently to fully enjoy them. Most Terraria mods are shit or unfinished so thankfully it does have an ending though.
>>
Terraria is the better game by far, it isn't a contest.

That said, Terraria is for playan, Starbound is for buildan. There's a reason most people just build commie blocks. If Terraria 2 was just Terraria after cannibalizing everything good in Starbound I would be a happy man, there's so much shit in Starbound that I would love to have in Terraria
>>
>>359996945
Starbound, but i have never played terraria so I'm biased. I also have played starbound on and off for a few years now and am looking forward to starting a new character with the newest version.
>>
There's nothing to fucking do in Starbound except autistically stack blocks and roleplay as a faggot bird

Terraria has a worse looking player character but it's gameplay is 100 times better
>>
>>359998567
Your buildings don't fucking matter in Starbound though. You'll be off that planet and out of that system within one hour.
>>
>>359996945
starbound is shit
>>
>Spend 2 years talking shit about your amazing main story quests
>DUDE CLICK THIS FURNITURE LMAO
>>
File: 1480398143636.jpg (83KB, 355x369px) Image search: [Google]
1480398143636.jpg
83KB, 355x369px
>Starbound announced for PS4 3 years ago
>>
>>359996945
Starbound has infinitely better exploration, building, lore, and atmosphere. You know, the things people play these games for.

Terraria is a shitty MMO-lite loot treadmill about autistically grinding enemies for a 0.01% drop so you can beat the raid boss to unlock the next tier of armor so you can farm the next 0.01% drop so you can beat the next raid boss to unlock the next tier of armor...
>>
>>359996945
Starbound isn't horrible, it's just a huge missed opportunity. Most of the features in it are barely fleshed out, the story and filler quests are fucking terrible, all the races play exactly the same, all the planets play the same once you get the EPP upgrade, with how progression is there's no reason to revisit old planets, there's no fucking invasions or anything on planets which makes them boring as fuck to build on.

Great for building stuff and getting a few dozen hours of fun out of, but really shallow and obviously they had no idea what the fuck they were doing when they made it.
>>
>>359999476
>Wrong
>Wrong
>Wrong
>Wrong

As you can see here I have statistically proved your opinion incorrect.
>>
>>359999065
They changed it. If you on survival mode then you might want a farm. If you don't like killing random monsters with hunting spears/bows then you will need a farm for special items pooping animals. Silk alone would take moth traps and is required to upgrade your armor at some point. Also colonists will join your crew if you do enough quests for them, they of course require a colony. Unless you are using an old character then upgrading your ship isn't really a think to make room for all of the stuff you would want to keep. You need crew members to get the ability to expand your ship now (at least legally) and you can no longer make upgrade modules meaning you gotta earn them overtime, long after you need the extra space.

There is a reason why a flag can be made without a crafting station, it is there to serve as a teleporter to your favorite planet.
>>
>>359999476
A penny has been added to your account, thank you, friend for these glorious "facts."
>>
>Food rots over time
Name 1(ONE) good game with this mechanic

Just so you know, whatever game you say, I will call it shit to save face
>>
>>359999906
dont starve
>>
>>359999972
That game is shit, my friend
>>
>>359996945

I don't care, when I played Starbound back during alpha it was shit so it will always be shit
>>
>>360000097
Wrong.
>>
>>360000097
Your opinion is hot, but wrong, I am afraid.

Also, I am Bread. The whole goal of the game is to get cooked and not get so rotten and nasty that you're literally inedible.
>>
is there bosses in starbound
I liked that a lot with terraria
>>
>>360000097
>couldnt get past day 10
>"t-this game is shit!"
>>
File: Capture 2016-08-03 23_26_25.png (2MB, 2512x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Capture 2016-08-03 23_26_25.png
2MB, 2512x1600px
Is it true that Starbound it's better for building shit?

I only play Terraria for creative purposes, like Minecraft's creative mode but I like Terraria more because it's less bland and characters actually live in the things you build. Pic related of a thing I was working on.

My biggest grip with the game it's that you have to grind shitloads to get anything good in terraria, that's not even mentioning the shitty random events, and if you add mods the whole thing feels so barren and boring. It really seems like it was built to fight instead to build.

Is it true that Starbound is more free with it's playstyles?

>>356000000
>>
>>360000358
>>360000372
>>360000401
You were warned
>>
>>359999906
Rice doesn't rot while being stackable and if you make your literally-always-raining-lust--starter-planet your home planet as you are expected to as this anon had stated >>359999636 then you can grow a massive amount of it. Just teleport to your flag between each planet you explore and harvest. Without a doubt the planet had rain and grew your crops while you were gone as it is always fucking raining. Just carry a campfire or other such crafting station and cook the rice when you need food.

As for selling: http://starbounder.org/Terramart_Shipments

Unless you explore like 3 whole planets without selling your food tab then I highly doubt rotting food is that much of an issue for anyone.
>>
>>360000381
They're all terrible and main quest related, but yes.
>>
I liked starbound before they added quests
>>
>>360000381

There are, they're not great.
>>
>>360000467
This is called banter, friend. Warning or not, you're wrong, I'm right.
>>360000451
If you're in it purely for creativity, Terraria's still better. Some will argue the specific method for building is better in Starbound, but you can by far and away build far better structures in Terraria.

And yes, everything in Starbound plays identically.
Late-game Terraria is in a similar boat, but everything is flashy in different ways plus being far faster paced and varied damage outputs/defenses.
>>
>>360000290
Your opinion doesn't matter then, why would you even post?

>>360000381
Yea there are bosses in Starbound but admittedly they are shit.

>>360000451
Let me put it this way, Starbound lack a hammer-like feature and still have better looking buildings. It is amazing to build on and mods only help with that.
>>
File: TOW Transparent Logo Small.png (327KB, 500x306px) Image search: [Google]
TOW Transparent Logo Small.png
327KB, 500x306px
>>359996945
One game is still in development

Another game dropped development and moved onto something that looks like garbage so 1.4 will never happen, Also Terraria 2 will never happen
>>
File: aa4.png (9KB, 405x344px) Image search: [Google]
aa4.png
9KB, 405x344px
What have I started..
>>
>>359996945
Terraria does combat and interface better
Starbound does everything else better.
>>
Why did they remove so much content
>>
>>359996945
Terraria is miles ahead of Starbound, this isn't even a question.
>>
>>360000852
This thread is being pretty reasonable. Surprise people haven't been calling Starbound shit due to their shitty experience from 2+ years ago when it was a totally different game. If you want to see real chaos then go on /vg/ and ask Terraria general how they feel about Starbound and vice versa.
>>
>>360000451
Starbound has "more" but its ass ugly.
>>
>>360000980
Didn't the races have special abilities in the alpha?
>>
>>360000980
Because they knew they couldn't make it all work in their grand scheme and they already got everyone's money, so why put effort in?
>>
>>360000980
>They got rid of random monster generation
>All the enemies in the game are ugly as fuck and look like they were made with the old system

Why did they do this?
>>
>>360000980
Those are recolors.

Toxic Golem: http://starbound.wikia.com/wiki/Poo_Monster
Cleaning Bot & Repair Bot can be found in USCM Military Bases.
Serpent Droid is fucking everywhere with his annoying shield that block like 99% damage.
>>
>>360001117
No. There were plans for racial armor sets to give special abilities but that shit never happened.
>>
File: terrariaConspiracyRoleplay.jpg (2MB, 2124x3352px) Image search: [Google]
terrariaConspiracyRoleplay.jpg
2MB, 2124x3352px
>>359996945
But anon, didn't you hear?
Terraria is the greatest game of all time! It even simulates Jew-run economies!
>>
>>360001090
Does it have some stupid shit like the Crimson and Corruption?

If I can spend peaceful times building shit without needing to activate god mode than I could get through the fact that it's somewhat uglier.
>>
Why are there just penguins
>>
>>360001335
Yes, but they have no content.
>>
>>360001405
I don't care about content, I just don't want to move because suddendly some stupid shit started to grow near my house.
>>
>>359996945
I really used to hate Starbound. I somewhat enjoy it now, but it just doesn't have the hooks that Terraria does, especially in regards to progression.

It also suffers from procedural generation in the same way that No Man's Sky did where eventually you're just seeing different coats of paint on the same thing. Even the setpieces, towns, outposts, and dungeons can generate the exact same way multiple times on the same planet. I also feel like it's required to play with Frackin Universe mod in order to get some more diversity and depth in the game. My biggest complaint will always be that guns feel fucking awful to use.

The release of the first beta pretty much killed my ability to ever get hyped for a game again though.
>>
>>360001505
No, they dont grow.
>>
>>360001335
Nothing like that. What you see on a planet is what you get. Starbound is all about building. The newest update will allow you to change the planet biome at will.
>>
>>360001573
>>360001597

Well then I might just give it a try, terraria it's just too battle-focused for someone that just wants to build towns.
>>
>>359996945
when will game wars become a fucking bannable offense
everyone and their mother wants to market like blizzard now, it was bad enough when it was just them
>>
Tiy's still trying to market this thing, huh?
>>
File: 984075643762.gif (2MB, 388x268px)
984075643762.gif
2MB, 388x268px
>hate the spread of corruption / crimson and hallow
>look up ways to stop it
>think isolating the areas via tunnels pre-hardmode is enough to prevent further fuckery
>look it up in the wiki
> "As soon as the Wall of Flesh is taken down, two diagonal strips of Hallow and Corruption/Crimson will generate in a V shape. The location of these strips and distance between them is completely random (...)"

WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>360001738
Every alter you broke for the new ores also gave a chance for a random corruption.crimson block to spawn anywhere.

Terraria can be a pain in the ass if you want a long lasting world. You pretty much just have to accept the Hallow as at least the NPCs can live in that and it doesn't take the jungle/mushroom.
>>
>>360001932
I'm well aware of the altars fucking stuff up but you can always just fish instead, but this is just too much bullshit
>>
>>360002005
just fight the wall on throwaway worlds?
what's the issue
>>
>>360002206
a world is just not complete without the hardmode NPCs, events and the (well contained) hallow. I wanna have a world with all the added stuff, but containing the damn spread of hallow and crimson is a nightmare and I don't want none of that. I always just assign characters to worlds and not really use them elsewhere outside of multiplayer because it's just not fun to be fully leveled on a new world and steamroll everything within seconds of your arrival

It's conflicting
>>
>>360002665
Just use TEdit to quickly remove Corruption/Crimson you fucking retard thats what I do
>>
I usually just use dynamite and blow a giant gaping crater under and around the area I wanna live in. Then just clementator that shit whenever I see it. Its a pain in the ass but eh. Plus then you can use the giant hole as a boss arena.
>>
>>360001932
Nah man I section off huge blocks of underground and purify that shit
>>
File: 91a.png (7KB, 861x608px) Image search: [Google]
91a.png
7KB, 861x608px
>>360002771
>psshhh just cheat like I always do using a feature everyone clearly knows exists because I do so should they
>>
>>359997947
this is true, love pc terraria, but console is comfy as shit so i cant wait
>>
>>359998620
nigga what, pick up terraria some time, like during the winter sale,i probably have 500+ hours across all systems of just casual play
>>
>>360002771
Man you could have at least suggested terramap or something to view what the hell is going on with your world instead of going on full cheater mode
>>
Terraria is better for building everything except for space stations and farms (Farms only because Starbound has food crops). Building on planets is shit because the one dirt/stone color you can place will annoy the shit out of you if you didn't get a planet with the same type of dirt/stone and you accidentally break something you didn't want to. Also most blocks don't work well together like they do in Terraria unless they were specifically made to look well together. Also no slopes/half blocks, paint isn't as good and you can't do cool aesthetic shit with water like in Terraria.
>>
>>359999476
while i respect your opinion, were on /v/ so
shut your face you faggot fuck

besides that id say terraria has better atmosphere and music by far, but exploration and builing do go to starbound, no question
>>
>>359996945
>still no server browser

>im supposed to just look for some random fucking server on the internet and hope theres people there and that its dedicated

indie devs are fucking retards
>>
>>359998382
>Terraria while overall shorter
>shorter
>Terraria is presently somehow shorter than fucking Starbound
I require further explanation
>>
>>360003892
They made it so there is only one kind of dirt now (though other blocks such as wet dirt, etc still exist of course) that chance colors depending on the surrounding dirt. If you want to manually change the color then you can paint it or use a different block altogether.

Beside that though you made fair points.
>>
>>359997947
(male)
>>
>>360004121
but infinite worlds anon
infinite oh so unique and amazingly diverse worlds with so many different shades of yellow painting everything
>>
>>360004148
Well shit, That's not nearly as bad as I remember than. Good shit.
>>
>>360004121
Starbound really expanded their shit since 1.0 and that even when ignoring mods.

Since then they officially added a way to keep track of your collecting: http://starbounder.org/Collections_Library

And this was literally just added to Unstable: http://playstarbound.com/starbound-1-2-unstable/
>>
>>360001738
>The location of these strips and distance between them is completely random (...)"
>Completely random
>Are fuckhuge and always spawn in the same fucking places
>Completely random
What kind of fucking wiki are you reading
>>
>>360000760
>dropped development
is that what you call it?
the game came out years ago, and they still decided to improve it for years
>>
>>360004379
the original developers aren't working on the game anymore m8
>>
>>360004508
And the new content that's being introduced is of higher quality than ever.
>>
Maybe if starbound's combat didn't feel so laggy, even in single player
>>
>>360004084
this has always been my biggest issue with the game
>>
>>360000760
>Dropped development
>Content update a couple of weeks ago
>Moved on to something tha looks like garbage
I dont even know what you are saying here
>>
>>360004675
There are fixes for that but sadly the devs are too retarded to do them themselves. Unpacking the assets then using this: https://pnggauntlet.com/ and you can easily cut the file size to like 30% of what it was if not more. It is stupid. It can run well, you just have to jump through hoops for it when you shouldn't.
>>
>>360000760
Nigga what, Terraria is at the end of it's engine at this point, they can barely add any more shit anymore, people knew 1.4 would never happen before 1.3 even came out, and the only reason Red is doing Otherworld instead of Terraria 2 is because Engine was fucking shit up and Red didn't want them to fuck over the game he's spent so long build up in the first place, to the point where they had to replace both the project and the art leads that Engine had working on Otherworld as well as rework a shit ton of the stuff in it.
http://forums.terraria.org/index.php?threads/terraria-otherworld-bringing-you-up-to-speed.47302/
>>
>>359997947
post soles / feet more pelase

i dont care if its a guy
>>
>>360002665

>play random world until you get the DCU
>start new world and carve tunnels next corruption/hallow

?
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.