[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are old computer RPGs worth playing? I remember trying to play

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 43

File: download (1).jpg (10KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
10KB, 259x194px
Are old computer RPGs worth playing? I remember trying to play Icewind Dale and Baldur's Gate years ago, but didn't understand D&D playrules so I quit.

Recently I've started playing D&D and got the basics of the rules, so I was wondering if it would be worth giving these games another try, as I always see /v/ praising them so much.

If so, which is the best game to start with? And how should I learn to play the game correctly?
>>
>>345972783
absolutely not
>>
>>345972813
ignore this.
>>
remember when old RPGs used to mean games like early Ultima and Wizardry, not Icewind Dale and other really accessible modern games?
>>
>>345972992
>how does time work
>>
>>345972992
how the hell are IWD and similar really accessible/
>>
>>345972783
Baldur's Gate 2 is definitely worth playing. Still has one of the most immersive and dark worlds full of fleshed-out characters around and some incredibly high-stakes combat to boot.

The first Baldur's Gate is great too, but feel free to skip it if low level d&d is too boring for your tastes (you go from roughly L1-10 in the first game, L7-15 in the second, ultra high level stuff is all in the ToB expansion).

If you play it then ideally you'll want to play the original games with mods, but the 'Enhanced Edition' isn't the worst imaginable substitute for it. The main downside of EE is that you can't use the wide variety of custom mods available because they were all designed for the original games. My favourite is BGT + tweakpacks + banterpacks + unfinishedbusiness + a few custom NPCs.

Don't play SoD. Just don't.
>>
What of these games is the easiest and best for a beginner?
>>
>>345973035
They fully support mouse, for starters.
>>
>>345973292
They are all easy if you play on normal difficulty.
My first d&d game was NWN, where you control just one character, so it's probably the best for beginner.
>>
>>345973292
BG is really easy. you can defeat the end boss without ever seeing him.
>>
>>345973292
Baldur's Gate 2.

BG1 has a difficulty curve that's all over the place At first it's insanely easy to die from bad dice rolls alone, and the final boss is insanely hard compared to the rest of the game - and all magic using classes take far too long to come online, and IWD requires you to make your entire party immediately which can be daunting for a beginner. BG2 eases you into the game with what's essentially a tutorial level (but unlike BG1 one that actually resembles the rest of the game) and gives you a handful of top-tier NPCs to work with almost immediately.
>>
>>345973289
What's wrong with sod, haven't played it.
>>
>>345973575
Don't ask.
>>
>>345973289
Is there anything positive about the Enhanced Edition? What does it change?
>>
>>345973531
how?
>>
>>345973861
The pre SoD patch is alright.

The new writing is terrible, but the bugfixes and modern resolution updates are nice. Don't have to fuck around with mods for those now.

But Beamdog seriously fucked up with SoD.

Turns out that the people who are willing to spend 20 bucks on an expansion to a 15 year old CRPG don't enjoy it when you have the fan favorite characters spout GG references and make one of the previous romances into a raging bitch.

Not even kidding, they might go out of fucking business.
>>
>>345973292
Torment.
>>
>>345974336
Planescape is safe from Beamdog, right?
>>
>>345973575
>What's wrong with sod
It's broken, has problems with corrupting save files, multiplayer doesn't work, the writing is straight out of tumblr, and it never needed to exist in the first place.

When I say the writing is bad it's not just that it fails to hold up to the great standards of the original: it's on par with the worst of the fanmade NPC mods. It's like the author of the Chloe NPC mod was hired as the lead writer.

>>345973861
The main upside is that it doesn't require hours of fiddling around with mods to install properly and has a nice graphics overhaul. The new characters in BG1/2 ee aren't offensively bad or anything but they're no better than the best cutom NPCs that were already available for the original games.
>>
>>345974585
For now.
>>
>>345974646
>BG1/2 ee aren't offensively bad or anything
Neera is pretty bad m7.
>>
>>345974646
But are there actual differences between EE and vanilla BG aside from mod support?
>>
>>345974764
A few menu changes and some setting stuff.

A few new characters with associated quests.
>>
>>345972783
>Are old computer RPGs worth playing?

No, it's the most retarded approach to rpgs.

Basically a computer is already a place where you can live your adventures in a videogame without having to roll dice, yet these pieces of shit done whitout any imagination or intellect insist on simulating dice rolls for anything instead of allocating their efforts in simulating the narration of the adventure like a rpg should do.

Avoid
>>
>>345974859
Oh, I forgot the new patch.

The game also now looks like complete garbage and the character models are fucked.
>>
>>345974764
>But are there actual differences between EE and vanilla BG aside from mod support?
EE is the equivalent of vanilla with a specific visual overhaul, bugfix patch, and a handful of specific NPC mods attached.

Basically it looks different, and a handful of characters exist in EE that aren't in the original games.
>>
Just play the games man, it's not too hard to understand

Low AC and THAC0 = good

Don't play a pure mage your first time through, they're fucking useless at early levels if you don't know what you're doing

Spell system is sort of like a more complicated FF1. Bascically each spellcasting class gets "spell slots" for their spells (Think of it like a gun with magical bullets). After each rest, your mage reloads his gun with bullets, ready to fire them off until his next long rest.

And finally, this is AD&D 2e motherfucker, not your pussy ass 4e/5e. Combat at early levels is dangerous, save often and be goddamned careful. A couple of bad rolls and your down

Have fun!
>>
>>345974927
How is combat at early levels no dangerous in 4e/5e? Characters still have very low HP there
>>
>>345974927
>not your pussy ass 4e/5e
>being a gen warrior about D&D.

Dungeons and Dragons is objectively the most scrub system of all time.
>>
File: Why_not_both.jpg (14KB, 228x221px) Image search: [Google]
Why_not_both.jpg
14KB, 228x221px
>>345974876
>simulating dice rolls for anything instead of allocating their efforts in simulating the narration of the adventure
>because you have to pick one or the other
>because simulating a d&d engine is at all hard to do

One of the best things about CRPGs is that because the whole D&D system has already been established and balanced, the focus could be put on good characterisation and storywriting instead of designing a new balanced system from the ground up.
>>
>>345974927
Oh, also play the enhanced editions. I knoe that beamdog is a huge piece of shit, but (atleast for the first BG) The original UI is a clunky piece of shit.
>>
>>345974927
>Low AC and THAC0 = good
Also, low saving throws = good. That threw me for a while.
>>
>>345975073
How about you deal with it, like us non-tard dealth with it.
>>
>>345975057

We don't need to roll dice that contradict what's on the screen happening, you know?
>>
>>345975073
>The original UI is a clunky piece of shit.
Worth it for Imoen romance mod
>>
Did you know that CDPR localized Planescape?
>>
>>345975209
>roll dice that contradict what's on the screen happening
What do you mean by that?
>>
>>345975007
I shouldn't say that combat is NOT deadly in 4e/5e, it's just not AS deadly. I was using a bit of hyperbole admittedly. Anyways, theres a couple of things. If you're talking 4e, even 1st level characters have a decent array of powers. Second winds, unlimited at will powers, the whole shebang. Not to mention its a lot harder to die. 5e is better at it admittedly, but some classes ceartinly have a lot more of an advantage than 2e. Wizard cantrips are f'in ridiculous, and each class has many more oppurtunities to heal themselves with the new spell system being a lot more lax with prepared spells. Is this a bad thing? Absolutely not, I personally love 5e. But it's a matter of opinion
>>
>>345975280
Localize?
You mean the GOG version?
>>
>>345975206
I did deal with it, that's why I'm telling other not to touch it with a 10 yard pole. Why make it harder for yourself?
>>
>>345975407
To not support Beamdog. If you wanna pirate then i got no complaint.
>>
So, is it better to play the original Baldur's Gate or the Enhanced Edition?
>>
>>345972783

No. "Old computer RPGs" either mean the first generation wizardry dungeon crawlers which inspired the much more enjoyable mainline SMT games or the significantly more modern D&D games like baldur's gate which are absolutely not fun.
>>
>>345975456
Original souped up with mods > EE > Original with no mods

When I say souped up with mods I mean along the lines of http://tamrielfoundry.com/topic/the-ultimate-baldurs-gate-experience/
>>
File: Cotab.jpg (83KB, 498x657px) Image search: [Google]
Cotab.jpg
83KB, 498x657px
Fuck this modern shit, boot up DOSbox and play some golden box games
>>
>>345975318
>What do you mean by that?

>Fuckhuge fireball explodes in the face of silly useless enemy that's also weak to fire and is drenched in oil
>Does 1 damage because that's how dice roll

No really, there are better ways to illustrate things that depending on dice when you have a computer there.
>>
>>345975339
I mean when it came out.

They did the official polish version.
>>
>>345974764
EE uses the BG2 engine instead of the original. This leads to some serious changes especially in the case of BG1's balance, since they haven't touched the content of the game otherwise.

You can use the kits that were only meant for the epic-level sequel, so they are ridiculously broken in 1.
Thieves work like in BG2, have access to traps (broken as fuck), their skills are a bit more complex.
Mages use the BG2 spell library instead of 1's. This mainly means more spells, especially defensive spells, but BG1 enemies have zero counter to those since again, this was not how the game was designed. Some spells disappear, like teleport gate, some work differently, like summon, some work differently outside combat, like charm losing its non-combat use. Mages can now have familiars from day one, which have surprisingly good defenses, since again, they were meant for BG2 where you start at a higher level.
Other originally intended challenges are also missing, like opening the inventory, which now pauses the game. BG1 loading screens flat out tell you that it's part of the challenge to not be able to move around valuable resources like ammo or healing items mid-combat, but BG2 scrapped this, and thus so did the EE.

This just from the top of my head.
>>
>>345975456
>>345975531
Follow that guide for the most part but leave out:
bgt graphics overhaul
bgspawn system
sword coast stratagems
female edwina from the bg2 tweaks (pure autism)
one pixel productions

Don't go crazy with mods until your second playthrough. use the big world project for that
>>
>>345975550
>Fuckhuge fireball explodes in the face of silly useless enemy that's also weak to fire and is drenched in oil
>Does 1 damage because that's how dice roll
Drenched in oil? Since when was that a thing in the game? Sounds like you're just being salty about an unlucky fireball that happened one time.

Also it is pretty realistic that fireballs can potentially do very little damage because that's what happens in real life when you have brief fiery explosions with no projectiles: due to the way they dissipate in air (or someone managing to duck close to the ground) it's possible that it'll not heat up someone's face/throat/organs too badly.

Also you should use Skull Trap instead of fireball anyway.
>>
>>345975784
>Drenched in oil? Since when was that a thing in the game?

I'm not talking about any particular game, I'm talking about the limitations of this kind of approach in a theoretical way.

Also fuck mages, rogue forever
>>
>>345975751
>but leave out [list]
That's almost every mod I happened to leave out from my own install anyway!

>>345975751
>Don't go crazy with mods until your second playthrough.
Agreed on that much. There's plenty of fun to be had doing a good and an evil playthrough, and potentially even a solo one. Only then I'd start potentially running parties with things like custom npcs and extra items.
>>
>TPB down
>Kickasstorrents down
>no way to dl BG now

tfw
>>
Alright fuckers.

Did any of you notice that Disk 2 and 3 of BG2 were weirdly fragile?

I must have had Disk 2 break like 3 times over the years.
>>
>>345976047
Because you use them the most, obviously
>>
File: disgust.gif (83KB, 395x281px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.gif
83KB, 395x281px
>>345975932
>I'm not talking about any particular game, I'm talking about the limitations of this kind of approach in a theoretical way.
I can't speak for every CRPG, but as far as BG goes I've never experienced any sort of immersion-breaking experience in that regard. There might be theoretical boundaries, but if they're never experienced, it's no problem
>Also fuck mages, rogue forever
mfw
>>
>>345976251

>He doesn't like being a scoundrel that somehow saves the day by way of being a dick
>>
>>345975970
It's worse than that. Even some of the mods such as the BG1 NPC Project and BG2 tweaks pack are now gone.
>>
Reminder to always do Rasaads questline in BGII so you can be a cheeky little shit to every single NPC.
>>
File: 1388095444383.png (511KB, 798x803px)
1388095444383.png
511KB, 798x803px
>>345975784
>Skull Traps on a bard
>>
>>345975932
>rogue
How much I fucking hate this word. Why did they even stop calling them thieves or thief classes?
>>
Which campaign should I start with on Baldur's Gate? I started with Throne of Baal because I heard that was the best one but I feel like I'm missing shit that happened in a previous campaign. Is there an order to play them in?
>>
>but didn't understand D&D

Don't worry, nobody understands thac0.
>>
File: 1412428720953.png (16KB, 632x734px)
1412428720953.png
16KB, 632x734px
>>345976451
>I started with Throne of Baal
>>
>>345976435
>Why did they even stop calling them thieves or thief classes?

To place in there a very varied type of subclasses
>>
The magic system of BGII is very poorly explained. You'll basically need a guide to understand how the fuck to breach the defenses of enemy mages and liches. They can be OP as fuck.
>>
>>345975543
the gold box rpgs are awesome
>>
>>345976498
You mean to allow everyone to be Drizzt Do'Urden.
>>
Early BG is such bullshit. I spent an hour getting my fucking ass handed to me by Nimbul in Nashkel, they shouldn't put you up against someone that has unlimited magic missile volleys when you're level 1. Then finally, randomly my party killed him before he even used his duplicate power. Luck plays way too much a part of it in early game.
>>
>>345976486
I've literally never played the game before. Cut me some slack.
>>
>>345976381
No they aren't, gibberlings are back up.
>>
>>345973921
Fireballs and other AoE spells into the fog where he's located.
>>
>>345975276

Is it good? I've never tried it. Is it hot? Will I get a boner? Please respond.
>>
>>345976619
Starting with Throne of Baal is like watching Return of the King first. You're not gonna make heads or tails of the story. Play them in order or at least start with 2 since 1 is pretty skippable.
>>
>>345976739
Even if you put romatic content aside, it's probably the most in-character dialogue pack out there.

There is dwarf rape though.
>>
>>345976451
>I started with the expansion to the second game but I feel like I'm missing shit
Shocking.
Start with BGI then BGII:SoA then move on to ToB like it was intended.
BGI can be a little slow and frustrating as some other anons have already mentioned but you should still give it a go.
>>
>>345976613
>Level 1 in Nashkel

GEE BILL I WONDER WHAT YOU DID WRONG
>>
>>345976834
>since 1 is pretty skippable

Except you know, that ToB is more of a sequel to 1 than to 2, which feels almost like a very long filler arc. But ToB sucks balls so whatever.
>>
>>345976373
>said 'rogue' not 'thief'

I actually haven't tried playing one in a long time. Maybe I'll try an evil thief party when I've finished my current Archer run. I haven't used Edwin or Viconia in too long. How are the different thief kits, by the way? I've only really tried Bounty Hunter and standard.
>>
>>345976452
>Not understanding thac0
Nigga, subtract the number to AC. Negative + negative = positive
>>
>>345977109
Assassin is alright, but it relies on the backstabby gameplay that gets micro heavy.

Swashbuckler is "man I really wish I picked F/T instead"

Shadowdancer is hilariously overpowered at what it does, but has to sacrifice all thief skills for hide/move silently to do it well.
>>
>>345976965
I was a mage, needed 2500xp to get to level 2, cleared Nashkel and everything on the path, had 1300xp.
>>
File: viccy.jpg (81KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
viccy.jpg
81KB, 300x300px
>GOD TIER
Fallout 2
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate 2
>GREAT TIER
Fallout
Arcanum
Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer
>I LOVE TO CRAWL TIER
Icewind Dale
The Temple of Elemental Evil
>AT LEAST I'M NOT DRAGON AGE 2 TIER
Neverwinter Nights 2
Dragon Age: Origins
Icewind Dale 2
>>
>>345976640
Oh thank fuck. I was honestly worried that they were gone forever.

>>345976739
>Is it hot? Will I get a boner?
Yes and depends on your imagination and how 'in character' you're feeling.

There are some ridiculously cheesy moments, but it's genuinely loads of fun and many people use it in spite of what it is simply because of all the good banter it adds in.

Unironically my favourite mod.

>>345976848
>There is dwarf rape though
To be honest, there was already plenty of rape, it's just that in the original game it was left 'implied'. Remember the concubines, and how there weren't any in spellhold? Remember the cutscene with the mages in spellhold chatting about Imoen?
>>
File: 53.jpg (10KB, 258x261px) Image search: [Google]
53.jpg
10KB, 258x261px
>>345977261
>On the path
>>
>>345977246
>but it relies on the backstabby gameplay that gets micro heavy.
Not a fan of that. I only really start using backstab a lot when it's with Imoen because/once she has mislead. Then it becomes easy and fun. Until then, I always seem to fail at hiding in shadows.
>Swashbuckler is "man I really wish I picked F/T instead"
I was thinking about F/T as an option too. You're supposed to dual class them from F to T at L13 right?
>Shadowdancer is hilariously overpowered at what it does, but has to sacrifice all thief skills for hide/move silently to do it well.
>has to sacrifice all thief skills for hide/move silently
Well fuck that then.
>>
File: Betrayal_at_Krondor[1].jpg (75KB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
Betrayal_at_Krondor[1].jpg
75KB, 400x250px
Baldur's Gate 1 - boring shit

Baldur's Gate 2 - GOTY, full of content, one of the best RPG's ever and THE infinity engine game

I personally replay Betrayal at Krondor every year, gfx are dated but in some respects its a pretty modern RPG and it certainly influenced the genre a great deal.
>>
>>345977368
It's super unsubtle in the beginning as well.

Like when Imoen is talking to the Dryads.

Irenicus raped and tortured the shit out of her. The PC gets off pretty easy compared to her.
>>
>>345976451

Jesus christ

Throne of Baal is supposed to be the icing on the cake where once you finished the main game you go on to being a literal demigod and doing crazy fucking shit

but you really need to know what happened before and there's an ASSTON of stuff to do in BG2 SOA

Its also a bit of a gamey RPG where you get some challenges that aren't really necessary to finish the game but you end up really wanting to do them like liches and some dragons

Its the best port of D&D mechanics ever and just minmaxing that shit out is great fun.
>>
>>345977261
>I was a mage, needed 2500xp to get to level 2, cleared Nashkel and everything on the path, had 1300xp.
mfw
Did you even go to the Friendly Arm Inn like you were told to?
You should consider exploring the areas you're in instead of just racing from one major checkpoint to the next.
>>
>>345977568
>You're supposed to dual class them from F to T at L13 right?
Yeah, but obviously from kensai or berserker. Plain fighter doesn't make much sense for duals.

Or multiclass instead for those sweet shorty bonuses or half-orc 19str. I always kind of preferred multiclassing because dual downtime sucks.
>>
>>345977689

>Baldur's Gate 2
>challenges

All sense of challenge went away when I realized I can defeat all liches by using a single scroll of protection from undead or defeat any dragon by using harm or stacking so much resistance that they heal me. The only way you are going to be challenged is if you purposely limit yourself to shitty characters like wizard slayer, monk or the druid.
>>
>>345977689
>just minmaxing that shit out is great fun.
Definitely!

There's something extremely satisfying about finally reaching that level which gives you access to that spell which finally turns your character from a reasonably strong fighter into what's practically a game-breaking freak.
>>
>>345977732
>Plain fighter doesn't make much sense for duals.
Don't they still get the extra attack per round though? I thought Kensai was one used only to dual into mage too.

>>345977732
>I always kind of preferred multiclassing because dual downtime sucks.
Yeah, dual downtime is disgusting, especially in solo runs.
>>
Is it true you can dual into a kit in BG1EE?

It's definitely not possible in 2.
>>
>>345978315
>It's definitely not possible in 2.
Not without mods...
>>
>>345978290
They all have the same amount of attacks. The only disadvantages is that berserker is worse with bows (oh no!) and kensai has equipment restrictions that hurt less when you're a thief.
>>
File: smell the sjw.jpg (179KB, 489x873px) Image search: [Google]
smell the sjw.jpg
179KB, 489x873px
>>345974095
Beamdog fucked up so badly with SoD and subsequent forum fallout that their two lead writers are no longer involved with game creation and got relegated to CMs, pending their departure from company I imagine.
>>
>>345976435
Because rogue is a more wider archetype. And you had shit like kits that would specialize your class further, but that got dumped in favor of systems like talents in modern games. I miss when two thieves could be really different thieves and not necessarily even geared towards combat.
>>
>>345978290
The two downsides to the kensai is that they can't wear armour which makes them considerably less resilient and can't use ranged weapons meaning the have to fight in close combat or use shitty throwing weapons.
As long as you make sure your kensai/thief spends most of his time sneaking in and out of combat and scoring plenty of backstabs instead of soaking up damage I see no reason why it wouldn't work.
>>
>>345975327
To e fair you could make an argument original and AD&D essentially had players at the mercy of dice until they got to level 3 or so. Low-level AD&D games are notorious meat grinders.
>>
>>345977693
Would barely have made any difference considering as soon as you hit FAI you are told by khalid and fucboi to go to Nashkel once again, and by having both join you it's an even bigger drain on the xp.

>>345978315
Not true since it's mostly 2's engine
>>
>>345976557
gold box rpgs were really clunky, though. they were trying to do action rpgs but with no real interface to support things like quick inventory access and spellcasting. it was all new and amazing back then, but holy shit try to play them today.
>>
>>345975327
How is 5e with splatbooks? What always pissed me off in previous editions is how it devolved into a clusterfuck of addons.
>>
>>345977295
>Planescape: Torment

I'm hoping against hope Numenera will be at least decent because I can only replay Torment so many times.
>>
>>345979029

I'm not not optimistic after Wasteland
>>
>>345979029
Anyone here play the beta?
>>
>>345978950
>by having both join you it's an even bigger drain on the xp.
Yeah but you can easily handle Nashkel with the three of you either way - and if you're playing solo the outskirts of the FAI is one of the best starting points for grinding up a little nest egg of xp/gold.
>>
Has anyone managed to solo Baldur's Gate1/2/t as a Bard or a Wizard Slayer? Is it even possible?
>>
>>345979567
Blade is one of the most popular solo choices.
>>
>>345979567
>Bard
super duper easy, including vanilla unkitted bard

>Wizard Slayer
boring as fuck literal worst solo possible tier
>>
>>345979595
>Blade is one of the most popular solo choices.
Ah yeah I forgot about defensive spin.

>>345979648
>super duper easy, including vanilla unkitted bard
>including
Seriously? What sort of strats would you use to cheese Sarevok for example? Is a bard solo playthrough just about wand abuse?

>Wizard Slayer
>boring as fuck literal worst solo possible tier
I'm wondering if it's even actually possible to beat the game as one.
>>
>>345979275
Played an hour or so, but stopped because it feels pretty damn rough. I liked what I saw though, there might actually be too many interactables as I was in one of the first rooms for a solid 15 minutes or so.
>>
>>345975751
So I should install the BG1 NPC project mod? I wouldn't usually expect fanmade party members to be that good, but I'll trust you guys on this.
>>
>>345979818
>Is a bard solo playthrough just about wand abuse?
Yes, mostly.
Because the reality is wands are better than spells 99% of the time in BG1, and even in BG2.
In BG1 a Wand of Fire can trivialize almost the entire content, especially due to the special Arganazzar's Scorcher ability that actually deals more damage than the fucking spell itself and lets you kite all day
For Sarevok you are swimming in potions and scrolls and gear and he can't even see invisibility. Bards get up to like 10 in BG1.
In BG2 a wand of cloudkill trivializes 99% of the concent INCLUDING literally ALL non lich mage battles no matter what difficulty mod and ai enhancements you have because mages CANNOT make themselves immune to poison, the cloudkill stacks and they get disrupted forever as they also melt away from the hp drain. And guess what, you get a wand of cloudkill as soon as you leave the first dungeon.
In BG2 a solo bard will also quickly level and gain hlas and mage buffs like Spell Immunity, PFMW , high power Skulltraps and Dispel Magic etc

>I'm wondering if it's even actually possible to beat the game as one.
Of course it is. You seem to forget soloing in BG is 60% metagaming 40% cheese
Going to the basilisks first thing in BG1 for example gets you like 5 levels or so solo and it's piss easy
>>
>>345980202
The NPC project just adds extra banter and dialogue to the existing NPCs iirc. It's definitely one of the mods that will enhance your experience. There's no cheesy stuff added, just extra content that melds seamlessly into what's there.

Custom NPC mods are a whole different thing entirely.
>>
What spells does bard get anyway? All 9 mage levels?
>>
>>345979116
Did you play the first one? I'd imagine its a completely different experience if you haven't. I know the original inside and out so I was having a blast seeing whats changed.
>>
>>345980456
Up to mage 6 in BG. IWD is up to mage 8 I believe
>>
>>345980450
Oh, alright then, I just assumed wrong.
>>
>>345978616
>their two lead writers are no longer involved with game creation and got relegated to CMs

what happened? I haven't really followed the expansion.
>>
>>345980701
The only drama about the SoD was the tranny included in game that doesn't make any sense at all due to the setting.
Besides that people got mad over some supposed Safana personality changes when the reality is that she was ALWAYS a literal gold digger bitch as shown by BG2
>>
>>345980338
Thanks for writing that up!

I've always had my own strats for beating the games (Breach + Insect plague usually gets me through most of SoA) but have only recently begun to learn just how differently most of the more competent players handle things after seeing someone do a solo sorcerer run on youtube.

>For Sarevok you are swimming in potions and scrolls and gear and he can't even see invisibility.
So I guess you can just swap between wand of fire and invis potions then? I feel stupid for having such difficulty with that fight now.

>Going to the basilisks first thing in BG1 for example gets you like 5 levels or so solo and it's piss easy
I actually have done a solo run of BG1 as a Monk before and that was what got me through it. I stumbled across the basilisks by accident and was stunned at how much xp they give you!
>>
>>345980846
I thought they made Safana more womyn power and removed the more seductive, gold digging aspects.

Also, Jaheira is a way bigger bitch in SoD.
>>
File: Cloakwood BBQ.webm (2MB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cloakwood BBQ.webm
2MB, 900x600px
>>345981063
Jaheira was literally always a bitch
She's a stuck up cunt even in BG1

>>345981061
>So I guess you can just swap between wand of fire and invis potions then? I feel stupid for having such difficulty with that fight now.
Wands of fire aren't much help for Sarevok.
But against him you have mirror image, stoneskin, blur, improved invis, pots of 50% magic resist with cloak of balduran, dual wielding if BG2 engine, drowning him in monster summons if BG1 engine, there's a lot of stuff you can use
>>
>>345981361
She wasn't a MAN-HATING bitch.

She was just a bitch.
>>
File: Aerie_Portrait_BG2.png (152KB, 210x330px) Image search: [Google]
Aerie_Portrait_BG2.png
152KB, 210x330px
Be honest, how many of you noticed the deformed eyes when playing the game?
>>
Did anyone play shaman? Is it good? And why the fuck are both Black Pits buggy as hell?
>>
>>345981467
You do realize elves are supposed to have the aaaay look in D&D?
>>
>>345981361
Could they have chosen even less intuitive icons?
>>
>>345980846
>The only drama about the SoD was the tranny
Not just that:
They ruined Minsc's character with some obnoxious gamergate line.
They added 'girl power' into a setting which makes it look unrealistic.
Safana turned from 'an independent woman who uses her wiles to get by in an unforgiving world' into 'tumblr feminist'.
Multiplayer didn't work.
Inability to act in any ways deemed 'misogynistic', in a game which is all about being able to be good or evil.
Producers not only DELETED ALL NEGATIVE REVIEWS on multiple sites but also begged people to give them positive reviews for the sake of social justice: end result being a bunch of positive reviews from people who never even played the fucking game.
>>
>>345981361
Drowning him in monster summons then. I see.

Also lmao that webm.

To be fair though that's not a hard fight either way. Pretty sure you can just cast a silence and they fall easily enough.
>>
File: lnwzP - Copy.jpg (112KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
lnwzP - Copy.jpg
112KB, 500x750px
>>345981467
I noticed that Viconia was literally traced off a nude centerfold
>>
>>345978983
The first one is really basic imo. I only used haste and bless/prayer for my run. The beholder fight takes like a min with the +5 halbard.
>>
File: 200px-Viconia2.jpg (14KB, 200x314px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Viconia2.jpg
14KB, 200x314px
>>345981736
>>
>>345981467
I noticed. It's mainly her pupils that freak me out. It looks like they're both focused on ever so slightly different locations. She's still a cutie though. Top-tier party member would romance again
>>
File: Baldur 2015-05-12 14-59-16-45.jpg (239KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Baldur 2015-05-12 14-59-16-45.jpg
239KB, 1920x1080px
>>345981504
>Did anyone play shaman? Is it good?
pig disgusting, and I can't believe I was hype for it thinking I'd have a nice summoner
The summons are like shit for all BG1 and most BG2. And guess what, a fucking skeleton warrior is still better
If you want summon and druids go with Totemic, the summons are actually amazing and have great immunities and on hit effects like the wolf can fucking drain and level drain enemies, the snake poisons, the bear fears on hit, all are immune to a shitton of stuff

>>345981587

>They added 'girl power' into a setting which makes it look unrealistic.
Forgotten Realms has alot of womyn in positions of power, it isn't really medieval earth
Minsc was always trash

>>345981727
Depends on wheter you are using ai mods and let them prebuff. They will vocalize if you silence them
>>
File: noice.png (100KB, 241x207px) Image search: [Google]
noice.png
100KB, 241x207px
>>345981792
>>345981736
>>
>>345981736
>>345981792
No fucking way
>>
>>345981736
>>345981792
Seriously, how long has Bioware been doing this fucking tracing thing.
>>
>>345981891
this is how it used to be done.

comics, games, fantasy covers.
>>
Geneforge saga is 70% off on steam. You have no excuse.
>>
>>345981736
>>345981792
Are you saying we could have had Tali traced off a porn star?

Missed opportunity
>>
>>345981982
Forever to the point they had to redo some NWN portraits as they actually had the gall to trace well known celebrities until it culminated into the delicious Tali scandal
>>
>>345981982
It's understandable for an old budget game, but unforgivable for an AAA title like Mass Effect.
>>
>>345981854
>Minsc was always trash
You take that back!

Seriously though, he can wield pretty much whatever the heck you find and ends up being one of the best tanks in the game (at least out of the NPCs).
>>
>>345982113
How big was Vin Diesel in 2001?

Because Valygar is the most blatant trace out of all of them.
>>
What's the justification for druids using scimitars, but not any other metal weapon?
>>
File: IWD_portraits1.jpg (297KB, 754x2061px)
IWD_portraits1.jpg
297KB, 754x2061px
>>345981736
Their portraits were always really weak and looked like generic digital pieces compared to Icewind Dale.
>>
>>345981854
I love how his portrait looks like a mfw reaction to what's happening on screen.
>>
>>345982216
Minsc is Keldorn with less HP and without anything that makes Keldorn good.
>>
>>345982223
To be fair Vin Diesel was probably flattered considering his interest in D&D.
>>
>>345982278
Tbh I like the head+chest pictures better. Those lack detail in the face.

>>345982223
>Valygar
In my last run I was playing as a racist elf, so I killed him.
>>
File: KORGAN.jpg (299KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KORGAN.jpg
299KB, 1920x1080px
>>345982324
>>345982281
Minsc And Keldorn are Korgan without good saves, good HP, good proficiencies, good banter, good immunities
Come back when your fucbois can solo beholder armies without any buffs
>>
File: 1464468285640.jpg (145KB, 712x767px)
1464468285640.jpg
145KB, 712x767px
>>345982278
>2nd to bottom right
>>
File: this is how I fallen paladin.jpg (152KB, 750x1179px) Image search: [Google]
this is how I fallen paladin.jpg
152KB, 750x1179px
>>345982483
There's a hidden catch in that it took Justin Sweet a lot longer to draw all the art because they went with torso and head instead of just portrait.
>>
>>345982324
Minsc is Keldorn with a personality. If I want true seeing I just use Jaheira or Aeria. Keldorn's only real advantage is being able to use that +5 2h sword that I'm bound to misspell the name of if I try. Carsomeyr? You probably know what I'm on about.

>>345982365
I wouldn't be surprised
>not wanting your face made into a cool BG portrait.
>>
>>345982691
>Minsc is Keldorn with a personality
You are a shit tier fucker.

Keldorn is one of the better characters, and having him in the party tunrs OTHER characters into better characters.
>>
>>345982562
>can solo beholder armies without any buffs
Uhh, that's great and all but.
>not just using a Shield of Balduran or Spell Reflection.

I love Korgan's banter with Imoen though.
>>
>>345982562
>Come back when your fucbois can solo beholder armies without any buffs

Keldorn can, unless you consider equipment buffs.
>>
>there are people that have never fully explored Anomen's character.

I know that nobody ever plays a female PC, but still.

He's legit one of the best written characters in the game.
>>
>>345982838
>Keldorn is one of the better characters
Better?
>I'm too busy to come home and see my wife because of work.
>Oh look a random adventurer yeah sure I can spend all the time in the world with you why not?
He's an absolute fucking tool.
>and having him in the party tunrs OTHER characters into better characters.
>using Anomen at all.
>>
>>345982912
I play as a female PC sometimes and use a mod to enable yuri because I'd rather have one of the girls because Anomen is shit.
>>
Does anyone like Nalia at all?
>>
>>345983167
Nah.
>>
>>345978616
They are already out I think but of coruse it has nothing to do with the SoD drama. No, no relation between both things. Just a coincidence.
>>
>>345983167
someone post the "level 4 Thief"
>>
>>345983167
>I'm so good because I help poor people

The only way to like her is if her romance mods turn her in to a meathole
>>
>>345983167
She can't even pick the locks IN HER OWN FUCKING HOUSE.

If you want a mage, get Edwin, Jan, Aeire, or wait for Imoen to return. Every possible other option is better.
>>
File: bioware-Gaider.jpg (38KB, 257x372px) Image search: [Google]
bioware-Gaider.jpg
38KB, 257x372px
>>345983280
Not only was there obvious agenda pushing, but more importantly it wasn't some no-name indie game that would flop and devs would then complain it didn't do well because of whatever buzzword reason happens to be popular at the time. This was taking a shit on classic game with fanbase that stuck with it for over 15 years and they wouldn't be quiet about this. It's also obvious Beamdog has bigger aspirations as a company so getting rid of the undesirable element was perfectly logical. Now we just wait and see how badly Gaider is going to fuck it up and make Beamdog lose any credibility they have left.
>>
>>345981854
>EE update removed the double circle around the player
>Changed it to some really fucking weird angle shit or a single thin ring
Why?
What the fuck was the point in that?
>>
>>345983549
>Playing good but don't want to put with with god awful Aerie
Jan really is the only choice for non-edwin mage if you're not grabbing Imoen.
>>
>>345981854
Sorcerer? What level? I'm guessing that that's just before going to Spellhold.
>>
Want a Dragon Disciple sidekick for my character but I don't want them to be overpowered so I was gonna just grab them thematic dragon-like spells and in general spells the dragons in the games/setting use.
Is there any way to look up what spells the dragons use in the game?
The only spell I can remember them using that would be odd is Heal which I guess I could cheat in at a higher level.
>>
How many party members do you usually go with?
>>
>>345984024
Honestly, I like Aerie. I'll freely admit she's too whiny throughout most of SoA but she becomes incredibly useful in ToB and her personality greatly improves by then too although that might be partly to do with me using the Imoen romance mod.

I love being able to throw Holy Smites into a spell sequencer too. Against swarms of undead it's like you're unleashing a tactical nuke. So satisfying!
>>
I never used Edwin. Is he really that good?
>>
>>345984425
>although that might be partly to do with me using the Imoen romance mod.
>about to finish SoA
>BG2EE updates
>fucks mod over
>annoyed that I can't set set to not update
>don't play for a while
>fix my mods on BG1EE
>go to fix my mods on BG2EE
>another update has come out for both games
>haven't played either since
I backed the wrong horse
End my torment
this is suffering
>>
>>345984581
Well gee having +3 spell slots every single level, I wonder
>>
>>345984581
iirc he's basically just a mage who has more spells than he should. He also has loads of fun banter with lots of the other NPCs and a hilarious side quest. Definitely worth giving a go.

>>345984732
Just tor the original games and then install BGT with mods. It'll take most of an evening to get it all sorted, but it's totally worth it. The best part is being able to add or remove a new mod each playthrough.

Personally I recommend getting the Chloe NPC mod then immediately killing her and hawking her sword for profit.
>>
daily reminder: there are people asking beamdog about a planescape EE
>>
What's your party in your current game /v/?
>Elf Archer with Gesen
>Minsc with Heaven and Earth and Flail of Ages
>Jaheira
>Imoen
>Aerie
>>
>>345978616
>They fired Dave Gross for this
>>
>>345986207
Waifu brigade.
>19 CHA (male) paladin
>Jaheira
>Viconia
>Aerie
>Imoen
>>
>>345986523
>Paladin
Undead Hunter or just regular Pally?

Honestly if any random person who is trying out BG2 for the first time walked into this thread I'd recommend they use an Undead Hunter. UH is the most cruisey time you can have playing SoA.
>tank who is casually immune to vampires
It's not the strongest class, but I'm 99% sure it's the easiest.

Also how do you stop Viconia and Aerie fighting? You're not using the happy mod are you?
>>
>>345986782
>Undead Hunter or just regular Pally?
Inquisitor, actually. Had a hard time deciding between kits for both character-building and roleplaying reasons (at first I picked Undead Hunter, then I almost started a Cavalier before settling on Inquisitor) but I only adventure with other characters for their personal quest, so I just let Keldorn retire.

>Honestly if any random person who is trying out BG2 for the first time walked into this thread I'd recommend they use an Undead Hunter. UH is the most cruisey time you can have playing SoA.
>It's not the strongest class, but I'm 99% sure it's the easiest.
I agree with you on that, especially people who are new to Infinity Engine games. The main challenge of Vampires is how much fighting them will fuck you up, and none of the kits are 'must-haves' - they're all pretty good once you get Carsomyr.

>Also how do you stop Viconia and Aerie fighting? You're not using the happy mod are you?
Nope, just dealt with everyone's bitchiness before I locked in a romance by picking Aerie, because her epilogue a cute
They've sniped at each other a couple times since, but as long as I've been managing my reputation it isn't too bad. Why, will they eventually decide to fight it out? It's been a while since I've played
>>
>>345987458
From what I know if they're going to fight it'll be very roughly near the start of Underdark. If you're already in ToB it'll probably be fine. No guarantees though.
>>
>>345972992
yeah wizardry isn't relevant outside of japan anymore sadly
might and magic and ultima both met an unfortunate end thanks too the publishers EA and ubisoft
the infinity engine games are boring
>>
>>345987681
>From what I know if they're going to fight it'll be very roughly near the start of Underdark. If you're already in ToB it'll probably be fine. No guarantees though.
Huh, I'm about halfway through the Underdark now (from what I remember) so I seem to have missed it... thank goodness. I am playing with the Enhanced Edition, though, so maybe that's why
>>
>>345985953
Also daily reminder: Beamdog are too incompetent to even consider it
>>
>>345988101
EE? That's creepy. At least with the regular game you can just mess around with mods to fix things if everything unexpectedly goes tits-up.
>>
>>345978061
I feel like all the best rpgs have cheese like this that completely breaks the game, somehow, though. Like, if you've got that much shit going on in your game, somebody is gonna come up with ways to break it.
>>
>>345988409
I honestly love that about BG2. It's rewarding people for actually reading the spells and coming up with their own niche strategies. There are enough new challenges (such as enemies that use contingencies) that force you to come up with something different if you haven't come across something utterly game-breaking too.
>>
>>345988672
>There are enough new challenges (such as enemies that use contingencies) that force you to come up with something different
>Cloudkill.gif
>>
>>345988752
How do you find enough wands to do that? Surely a single cloudkill isn't going to win every fight?
>>
>>345980202
aside from the things on my list, the mods on that page don't add any terrible fanfic bullshit
>>
>>345989306
You can recharge wands by selling them to merchants and buying [spoiler/or stealing[/spoiler] them back
>>
>>345991005
I feel like that's cheating as much as using the underflow glitch is.
>>
Is Menzoberranzan any good? Did they ever make any turn based dungeon crawlers?
>>
Is Ranger/Cleric cheating?
>>
>>345992028
>You get both insect plague and aerial servant
It's pretty cool, but nowhere near as messed up as Sorcerers and Kensai/Mages can get.
>>
>>345992028
They fucking "fixed" it in EE
>>
>>345973564
Top tier.
Playing an evil char, immediatly told minsc and jaheeera and imoen to fuck off and tanked the dungeon solo
Also dorn il khan is bro tier
>>
>>345973861
Ee is good adds some legit npcs and classes bugfixes graphics quests etc
>>
>>345992391
>Playing an evil char, immediatly told minsc and jaheeera and imoen to fuck off and tanked the dungeon solo
That's nowhere near the best part about playing an evil char.
>Also dorn il khan is bro tier
>Dorn
No.

Edwin, Korgan and Viconia are where it's at. No need for baggage.
>>
>>345992963
Viconia is a shit character
>>
>>345993982
>I can't handle bants
>>
>>345992391
>Also dorn il khan is bro tier
You're a fucking idiot.

>>345993982
>Viconia is a shit character
And with poor taste, too. What a surprise.
>>
>>345992391
>dorn il khan is bro tier
when he proposed gay relationship with my pc I quit the game and haven't looked back since

>>345992963
>Edwin, Korgan and Viconia
this guy knows whats up
>>
No.

They are ugly, clunky and boring.
>>
>>345994054
>>345994146
triggered waifufags
>>
File: Blackrazor.jpg (68KB, 485x295px)
Blackrazor.jpg
68KB, 485x295px
Baldur's Gate 2 is the best of the lot, BG1 is hit & miss because it's low level D&D and in the old editions that shit was rough, BG2 starts you out at level 8+ or so where BG1 ends so you avoid this.

Icewind Dale 1&2 are dungeon crawlers, the storyline is very straightforward and is a good follow up from BG2 because you can now create a custom party of your choosing and dont miss out on companion interactions.

Neverwinter Nights is very hit n miss honestly i cant fucking stand any of the NWN games but they might be your thing, never understood why they went from a 6 man party focus to a single player/character CRPG in NWN1, NWN2 has some ass story and characters, the ugly ass engine doesnt help either but the original campaign has one of the best endings.
Mask of the Betrayer is a great story if you can tolerate the engine.
Storm of Zehir takes the gameplay in a different direction, your back to a fully custom party like in Icewind Dale and there's now a giant ass overworld map you move across and explore with a large focus on skills and crafting compared to previous titles, honestly it sounds alot better than it is but again i was never really sold on the NWN games.
>>
>>345994725
>the NWN2 original campaign has one of the best endings.
An anon of exquisite taste, I see.
>>
>>345991126
>cheating
More like an intended game mechanic.
Why the fuck would the game give you loads of wands with literally 1 charge only straight out of the first dungeon
Anyways you have to buy the wand backs at full charge price unless you steal them so i don't see the problem, it's not like recharging items is not part of D&D lore and mechanics
>>
>>345994725
>recently got Blackrazor on Minsc
Shit is so cash. I love it that I'm the one level draining others for a change.

>>345994525
>triggered waifufags
pssht no
Viconia isn't even my favourite, but she easily has some of the best bants and her magic resistance is hilariously good too. Not too mention that speedy access to Aerial Servant a.k.a. one of the most fun and powerful summons in the game. I was fighting some drow mages in that arena they have and decided to summon an AS, and it clobbered all three enemy mages to a pulp in no time. One of them it two-shotted, doing 66 damage in a hit.
>>
>>345994996
idk why but I feel like having what's essentially infinite wands is missing the point, in spite of your reassurances to the contrary.
>>
>>345995178
Well, 1 charge wands are definitely missing the point too. That's what scrolls are for.
>>
>>345995329
If wands were supposed to be used as a central mechanic I would have expected to see more of them, but outside of CI there are very few.
>>
File: 797549750.jpg (60KB, 580x436px) Image search: [Google]
797549750.jpg
60KB, 580x436px
>>345994725
>Storm of Zehir takes the gameplay in a different direction, your back to a fully custom party like in Icewind Dale and there's now a giant ass overworld map you move across and explore with a large focus on skills and crafting compared to previous titles, honestly it sounds alot better than it is but again i was never really sold on the NWN games.

Fact MotB overshadows SoZ to a point of almost nonexistence is one of great injustices. In my opinion SoZ is just as good as MotB, although in completely different ways.

>no epic story, it's just about restoring regional commerce and adventuring
>no detailed companion characters, you get to make your own party and deal with random mercenaries along the way
>overworld, skill checks that actually matter and party members chiming in with their areas of expertise

Only really bad piece of NWN2 content is Mysteries of Westgate because it's essentially a glorified mod sold as premium.
>>
File: EY1j9Tp.jpg (21KB, 198x311px) Image search: [Google]
EY1j9Tp.jpg
21KB, 198x311px
>>345982278
Cleric is waifu
>>
File: bg3.jpg (322KB, 800x1004px) Image search: [Google]
bg3.jpg
322KB, 800x1004px
>>345983746
They already tarnished BG1 with SoD. I'm still debating between having a heart attack or torching their office if they make BG3 and fuck it up, which I know they will. Worst thing is I don't trust ANYONE to make that game anymore.
>>
>>345995693
>I don't trust ANYONE to make that game anymore.
Honestly, I'm pretty sure there's nowhere to go after ToB anyway. The D&D mechanics don't really allow for much more interesting stuff after that point anyway, and the story has reached a wall with the MC basically now being a demigod.
>>
>>345995693
You can't tarnish a 20 year old game with fanfic DLC
There's no need for a BG3 and the one in the works was only Baldur's Gate in name because they could only publish DnD games under Baldur's Gate or Icewind Dale
>>
>>345986207
>Heaven and Earth

the fuck is that?
>>
File: omochikaeri.jpg (74KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
omochikaeri.jpg
74KB, 1280x720px
Any must-have mods for Planescape Torment?
>>
File: (1)New Picture (106).jpg (94KB, 423x500px) Image search: [Google]
(1)New Picture (106).jpg
94KB, 423x500px
>>345995590
That's nice, but NWN2 engine is a piece of shit, so even if SoZ has some nice idea I'd rather replay MotB for the story, chara and quest.
>>
>>345995693
even if they do make you know it's going to be nothing like bg1 and bg2. if only because it sure as fuck won't be ad&d ruleset. it's honestly kinda sad how dungeons & dragons went from amazing quality games to not existing at all with occasional shit like daggerdale and sword coast legends.
>>
>>345995693
SoD was pretty fun though, good dungeon, encounter design and some neat design.

Plot is kinda meh and characters are lame, though.
>>
>>345995934
+3 or +4 1h Mace you get after the final Bodhi fight which gives +2 str, might have been from an itempack and not the main game. Either way it's insanely good.
>>
>>345976723
Isn't he immune to magic damage other than pure magic like Magic Missile?
>>
>>345995927
>You can't tarnish a 20 year old game with fanfic DLC

They actually tarnished both the first game and BG2 because they made it bridging material, so you run into Irenicus and shit.
>>
>>345996058
>good dungeon, encounter design and some neat design.
>Plot is kinda meh and characters are lame, though.
It's like you're describing a good looking person who's missing a brain.
>>
>>345996115
You see, the thing is that you don't need to play SoD, so it doesn't have to exist in your experience.

BGT and Tutu both manage to bridge BG 1 and 2 without any reference to that aforementioned piece of shit, so it is in no way tarnished.
>>
File: imoen lemon.jpg (102KB, 306x700px) Image search: [Google]
imoen lemon.jpg
102KB, 306x700px
>>345975276
>Imoen romance mod

>Adds some dreams about Imoen in Chapter 2/3
>Dreams adding backstory to you and imoen, about your life at candlekeep
>somewhat sultry scenes
>Annoyed by going against the established writing and characters
>Later on meet up with Imoen and bring these dreams up
>She says that of course none of that stuff ever happened in the past
>Proceeds to call the dream-imoen a batty tart

Made it much better for me. And yes, the additional banter and fun it adds is pretty good and in character, good stuff even without the Romance.
>>
>>345996115
You can't retroactively ruin a game with optional content.
>>
>>345996285
>>345996439
It canonically exists. That's all that matters.
>>
>>345996154
I bet most of you fags didn't even play it and think the game is 20 hours of tranny NPC anyway.

Jesus, ToB is far worse gameplay and plot wise.
>>
>>345996369
>She says that of course none of that stuff ever happened in the past
>Proceeds to call the dream-imoen a batty tart
I didn't mind all the extra bullshit rapey options in the dialogue between the MC and her either. They felt like a bunch of traps to catch out players with aspergers, which didn't detract from the overall writing.
>>
>>345996504
Baldur's Gate in general isn't canon
>>
File: handsome dorf.jpg (100KB, 640x525px)
handsome dorf.jpg
100KB, 640x525px
>>345976848
>>345977368
That Druegar didn't actually rape her, she used awakened murder powers to nuke the fuck out of it before it got ponos to vagoo.

It did slopper and molest her of course.
>>
>>345996537
>I bet that-
You lose.
>>
>>345973035
You can buy them from gog and they work on modern pc :)
>>
>>345996605
>That Druegar didn't actually rape her, she used awakened murder powers to nuke the fuck out of it before it
Believe that if you want. I want to believe that too desu.
>>
>>345996551
Please. There's no way those options aren't an indication of the overall quality of the writing.
>>
>>345972992
Remember when old RPGs mean Curze of the Azure Bonds or Pool of Radiance??
>>
If I use Baldur's Gate Trilogy, can I spec Imoen differently than her canon BG2 dual class?
>>
>>345996805
>implying extra options detract from the overall experience
The writing is really good as long as you act like a reasonable human being towards her.
>>
>>345972783
>Didn't understand D&D rules so I quit
Baldur's Gate is pretty easy, even if you don't even know what D&D is; I'm guessing you didn't read the manual?
>>
File: aerie slut.png (55KB, 110x170px) Image search: [Google]
aerie slut.png
55KB, 110x170px
>>345996551
The lowest dialogue options are almost always stupid and bad in all romances in my experience. Like how you can call Aerie a disgusting crippled, mutilated freak all the way up until the end of the Romance chain if you want so that you always have the option to break it.

I don't see anyone ever actually picking that option once they got that far but it is indeed there.

Aerie is a whiny bitch though, although with the imoen romance her banter with Imoen is pretty fun. Neutral Good Imoen is a bad influence on her sometimes.
>>
File: Crom Faeyr.jpg (41KB, 485x295px) Image search: [Google]
Crom Faeyr.jpg
41KB, 485x295px
>>345996995
you can use EE keeper for shit like that
>>
>>345973861
Fixes nothing that Tutu doesn't fix and runs like shit somehow
>>
File: 1459699716559.jpg (464KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1459699716559.jpg
464KB, 1920x1080px
>they actually tried to make BG for sjws
>>
>>345997134
>25 str
Fucking broken. I hate items that negate the effort you put into getting good stats in the first place. Just make it +3 str or something.
>>
>>345997221
There is only one in the game and you likely have 3 frontliners in the party.
>>
>>345972783
OLD RPGs worth playing and that can be enjoyable for non-retrofag:
If you are into dungeon crawl: Ultima Underworld 1/2, Wizardry 7 and 8, Might and Magic 6-8.

CRPG: All of the Infinity Engine games BG1/2 (with fan patches, avoid EE like plague - it ruins a lot of things and improves nothing that fan patches can't do) IWD1/2, Planescape.

Neverwinter Nights - first campaign is garbage, but expansions are worth a play, also there's an awful lot of really good community modules.

Diablo-like H'n'S - Dark Stone if you are into retro.

Revenant - it's like a Dark Souls of Diablo clones, with amazing combat system combos, blocks and dodges. Accursed Farms trashed it because his own incompetense (he tried to played it like Diablo without using the combat system and failed miserably since it's the same as trying to beat Dark Souls by running forward and mashing attack).

Nox - a rather arcadey h'n's, but very well worth a play.

SoulBringer - if you aren't offput by graphics.
>>
>>345994725
Baldur's gate 2 is the superior game both mechanically and in gameplay, although the mechanical changes can (and should) be backported onto BG1 too.

BG1 is still a fun game though and I like how it is more connected and grounded. You actually get to explore the countryside a bit, and the schemes have a more slow but controlled buildup toward the end.
Low Level dnd is rough on melee but since saves are still under control in BG1 you can enjoy different spell combos, such as Stinking Cloud + undead on the passed out or charm person to create allies when most will make the save in BG2.
>>
>>345975057
>because the whole D&D system has already been established and balanced
The post was made six hours ago but I still must imply.
>>
>>345997334
>with fan patches, avoid EE like plague - it ruins a lot of things and improves nothing that fan patches can't do

At launch maybe, it's been fixed and new QoL shit added that mods can basically never do because they don't have access to source code.
>>
>>345997410
In video game context, it is relatively balanced. It's true that in tabletop casters reigned supreme, but vidya puts your vancian mages against hordes of mobs and that makes fighters shine more often.
>>
>>345988409
It makes the game bearable. I'd never be able to suffer through combat without my invulnerable fighters and sneaky mages with cheese wands.
>>
>>345994725
>why they went from a 6 man party focus to a single player/character
It was the only good idea they ever had. Herding cats for hours on end was a chore.
>>
>>345997564
and then came 2.0 that made it worse again
>>
>>345973289
Tweaks, banterpacks, UB and most, if not all custom NPCs do work with Enhanced Edition though.
>>
>>345997410
AD&D 2e (without all the splats which aren't in the pc games) is rather balanced. Fighters can do their job regardless of stats, wizards are overpowered, but the way the turn works means they can get interrupted easily if there's no meat-shield, and so on.

it's 3e/3.5e and pathfinder that game D&D a bad name.
>>
>>345997221
>effort you put into getting good stats
good job repeatedly clicking that button, fatso, here 18/00
>>
>>345998662
More like collecting all the tomes in BG1, picking the right choices in hell and going through watcher's keep. 18/00 is entry level.
>>
>>345997334
>no World of Xeen
>>
>>345998821
In a system that replaces personal skill dice rolls, the difference between clearing dungeons and clicking on reroll repeatedly is fairly philosophical. The only challenge is coming to grips with the time you've wasted to get that +1.
>>
>>345999936
Are you an idiot? Combat takes tactical skill.
>>
>>345972783

Yes. They are. They're all very fucking accessible so that even an idiot could play and beat it. Start with Fallout 1, then play 2, then play Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, then play Icewind Dale 1 and 2 since those are in the same universe, then Planescape, then Neverwinter Nights 1/2 and you're good.
>>
File: haha buy my game will ya.jpg (92KB, 630x666px) Image search: [Google]
haha buy my game will ya.jpg
92KB, 630x666px
Recommend me some old RPGs other than the ones that I've played you nigger
Here's my list:
Baldur's gate 1 2
Neverwinter nights
Divine Divinity
Icewind Dale 1 2
Fallout 1 2
PST
Morrowind
Gothic 1
Arcanum
Kotor 1 2
>>
Tactics + SCSII for fun.
>>
File: Best_Fallout.jpg (30KB, 324x401px) Image search: [Google]
Best_Fallout.jpg
30KB, 324x401px
>>346000643
planescape torment and temple of elemental evil seem pretty obvious

An best fallout, of course
>>
>>346001191
I already mentioned PST
>>
File: my job here is done.jpg (44KB, 474x960px) Image search: [Google]
my job here is done.jpg
44KB, 474x960px
>>346001570
>>
File: Baldr000.jpg (625KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Baldr000.jpg
625KB, 1920x1080px
>>345986207
I started BG2 awhile ago but haven't made it out of the tutorial/Irenicus' dungeon yet, so my party is Imoen, Minsc, Jaheira and Yoshimo.
>>
>>346000180
Not much of it.
>>
>>346000643

Ultima IV, V, VII, Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom, Gothic 2.

>>346001928

>EE

Why?
>>
>>346002912
Because it was easy and anything you don't like you can ignore.
>>
File: 1459199742149.jpg (955KB, 1383x3520px)
1459199742149.jpg
955KB, 1383x3520px
>>
>>346000643
>>345972783

Betrayal at Krondor and Wizardry 8 for oldschool crawlery

Arx Fatalis - was made freeware, has a nice sourceport - it's like Morowind+Ultima Underworld with amazing magic system and much better combat

Vampire: The Masquerade - Redemption (often forgoten in the light of Bloodlines)

Rage of Mages 1/2 (also known as Allods) - looks like Warcraft 2, but is in fact a bladurs-gate-like tactical RPG

Hexplore.
>>
>>346003546
I don't get why something like Dungeon Siege is even on the list.
>>
>>345994226
Not wanting to fug that sexy half orc, what are afraid of anon
>>
>>346003546

What dumbass put Daggerfall in mid tier, NWN 1 AND 2 in low tier, Oblivion in low tier, and the original Wizardries there too? Those games don't belong with IW and Fallout 3.
>>
>>346003546
>Summoner above shit tier
>Nox is there but no Revenant
>No Soulbringer
>Divinity 2 is above Divine Divinity
>Sacred and Torchlight on same tier as Diablo 1 and VtMR

Pleb list.
>>
>>346003546
>shadowrun, invisible war, both neverwinter nights, and ultima in low tier

The guy who made this pic needs to be lynched.
>>
File: lewd.png (20KB, 188x250px) Image search: [Google]
lewd.png
20KB, 188x250px
>>346003903
I am a pure. A pure you hear me!
>>
File: 21.png (4KB, 302x237px) Image search: [Google]
21.png
4KB, 302x237px
>>345973289
>The main downside of EE is that you can't use the wide variety of custom mods available

Pretty much all the mods have been updated to work with EE and the new ones that are coming out are EE only. If you dont even know about this i doubt you played SoD.
>>
>>346004459
Is there a mod that replaces pig disgusting EE journal and spellbook with original ones?
>>
>>346005218
If it exists its here https://forums.beamdog.com/categories/ui-modding
>>
>>346004202
I never played them but they do look incredibly boring.
>>
>>346006205
I meant to just include neverwinter nights series not invisible war or shadowrun. I like the shadow run series.
>>
>>346003546
Very outdated
>>
>>346006378
I don't really get the idea behind keeping series like lands of lore or advanced dungeons and dragons on these lists. They aged like milk and are so old.

I cant imagine someone born in the late 90s or 2000s looking at this list and say hmm looks like I should try dark sun shattered lands for my next wRPG. According to /v/ its a better game than Witcher 2.

I know graphics and animations aren't a huge factor in creating a good game but still... I don't want to play a game that aged like milk. I don't care how good it was when it released.
>>
>>346006946
Thank you for the blogpost
>>
>>346007132
I don't think you know what those are lad.
>>
>>346006946
I got Land of Lore from gog. Playing it for the first time and enjoying it. You should actually try playing those games instead of assuming that they aged like milk.
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.