[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it okay to use Yuri to escape from all my real world problems?

This is a red board which means that it's strictly for adults (Not Safe For Work content only). If you see any illegal content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 7

File: sad mei.jpg (46KB, 500x521px) Image search: [Google]
sad mei.jpg
46KB, 500x521px
Is it okay to use Yuri to escape from all my real world problems?

I mean, life is pretty rough right now. I have no gf, no good friends, and I don't really do anything.

But when I lose myself in a good yuri manga, those problems go away. I've been finishing series at a really fast rate lately. In one day, I'll finish multiple series, reading like 30+ chapters in a short span of time.

Is this escapism healthy? More importantly, is it sustainable? What if I run out of Yuri series? Then, there will be no more places for me to run to.

Are any of you guys using Yuri to run away from your problems?
>>
It can be good as it can help boost your mood and motivation
But if you are extremely dependant and it causes harm to say your way of life or health or your job then I think you should try and wean off it
>>
>>2291050

Like anything else, Yuri is good in moderation.

If the only thing you do in your free time is read Yuri, try to find something else to do. Talk to some friends or find another hobby.
>>
>>2291067

I don't think it's killing me just yet. Maybe dig a little deeper?

>>2291075

If I start something, I really do have to finish it.
>>
I share the problem of being afraid to run out of Yuri.

I guess a potential solution would be to learn Japanese??

Every day, I camp /u/ hoping for something new and exciting.
>>
>>2291050
It's good in moderation, but you should see a psychologist. Not much to talk about the yuri, but to find a better way to solve your problems.
>>
>>2291081
>>2291075
>>2291067

So how much do you guys generally read a day?
>>
A thread died for this.
>>
File: gjgyukytjg.jpg (352KB, 816x634px) Image search: [Google]
gjgyukytjg.jpg
352KB, 816x634px
>>2291050
I wish I were born a girl badly but life dealt me a bad hand so I use it to live vicariously.

I'll never be truly happy but I can delude myself long enough until I die.
>>
>>2291193
>I wish I were born a girl
Anon, you can get surgery for that now.
>>
>>2291223
I'm not insane. I don't want to cut off my dick and balls like a crazy person.

I'll never be biologically female. I'm not happy about it though.
>>
>>2291080
I started to learn moonrunes for a different cause but now that I'm somehow not satisfied with the amount of yuri we have right now, I started an own scanlation group, recently picked up learning Japanese again, learned how to edit and spread more Yuri.

>>2291050
Imo, find a proper hobby. It can even be yuri related. I'm much of a shut-in myself when I don't go study, but I found some other things that isn't just reading yuri.
have no gf either, only one or two good friends but none are really close,I feel like my life is dull. but I started to learn moon runes to play some untranslated yuri VNs and not be dependent on translation groups.
Though I consider yuri as a hobby I'm very passionate about, rl money-earning related things is another part in my life what must be done.
like, job/studying=stressful. Yuri=releases stress. I can live fine with it.
/blog
>>
>>2291342
Wow learning Japanese is very impressive. I want to but it seems so daunting.

>>2291312
>>2291193
>>2291223

>tfw you'll never be a qt girl who dates other qt girls

Honestly, why did life deal me this hand. Why can't everyone just be qt girls.
>>
>>2291050
I pretty much did that. Read everything till I ran out. Played most games too, although not all of them.

Found some other ways to satisfy my emotional needs along with following whatever series are ongoing.

Also this feel >>2291193, I know the despair too well.
>>
File: starbright1.jpg (12KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
starbright1.jpg
12KB, 384x288px
>>2291050
Starting horseback riding lessons helped to fill my void a bit. When I'm riding I don't feel depressed, it's like I forget all bad things.
>>
It's my "problem" too, but not just with yuri, I have this feel of escapism in all pop japanese culture stuff (i put in this terms because it's too much involved).
And, in this point of my life, without this, my family and (thas not stupid, believe me) vaporware stuff, i think i would killed myself
Ps.: sorry for the bad english
>>
>>2291592

It's kinda weird, because a few years ago I was all "haha weaboos amirite" but now I'm the epitome of a weeaboo. Why can't I be born Japanese and grow up in Japan?

>>2291512
Yeah, the combined yuri output rate (accessible to me) is just not fast enough. I'm going to run out of material eventually. If I knew Japanese though, I'm sure that I could keep myself occupied for much longer. There's so much unaccessable to me just because I only speak English.

Recently, I've tried to slow my rate of consumption. I've picked up more hours at work (as a wagecuck) and I've started reading lesbian romance novels (which aren't yuri, but help fill the void). Books take a lot longer to finish and there's a lot of english ones.

>>2291549
That's what yuri is for me. I guess you're suggesting another escape route. Horseback riding sounds nice but I don't have that kind of money. I used to love books but now all I read are lesbian romance novels.

Honestly, all it comes down to is, why am I addicted to such a limited and obscure genre?
>>
File: IMG_9360.png (219KB, 724x400px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9360.png
219KB, 724x400px
>>2291936
>Honestly, all it comes down to is, why am I addicted to such a limited and obscure genre?

It depends, why does yuri make you feel better? Do you want a supportive and cute relationship like you see in yuri or is it as if yuri helps you deal with shitty things that happen just because it makes you happier? In any case, if you rely on yuri alot then eventually it will feel like youve got limited options and nothing new to preoccupy you.
>>
>>2291936
Because Japanese escapism =/= Japan. You'd probably be in the exact same state in Japan minus the need for translators, which might have been what you meant.
>>
>>2291050
Same here, anon. I don't know if it makes me more or less depressed to know I'm not alone.

Only advice I can give you once you run out is that, at this point, you probably have a decent unconscious understanding of the tropes. Homebrew your own to tide yourself over while you wait for more releases. Quality doesn't matter if you're the only audience.

Also, good luck in improving your life, anon. I'm rooting for you.
>>
>>2291944
I just like the romance between girls. I'm not a man hater but I just feel that girl-girl relationships are superior to boy-girl relationships. It's just so pure and so lovable, even if I can never be a part of one. Also, I love how the two partners are equal.

There's just something that het relationships lack that make yuri relationships so good.

>>2291946
But there would be more yuri. I'm almost sure that the amount of yuri creation (accessible to nips) is enough to match my current consumption of yuri. If it isn't the difference is so small that it would be sustainable for a long time. Even if the above isn't true, as Japan becomes more imperialized (influenced by western progressive values) we will get more yuri production that will eventually outpace my consumption.

In short, I won't ever be afraid of running out of yuri. I can enjoy yuri forever.

>>2291957
Ahh thanks anon. I'm really glad that others have the same problem. Anyway, I've written some fanfiction before but I'm afraid that my writing skills really are not that great, or even decent.

Also, I'm the only one who gets to enjoy it. I wish I was better at creating my own stories and better at sharing them.
>>
>>2292039
>I'm afraid that my writing skills really are not that great
If you read /u/lit you should know by now that published authors can't write for shit half the time either.
>>
File: IMG_9486.jpg (156KB, 507x589px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_9486.jpg
156KB, 507x589px
>>2292039
Much luck to you anon. I'm cheering you on. Alot of other /u/sers feel similar and we've all got eachother to commiserate with atleast. Hopefully more translation groups are started and more and more works can be released for non moonspeakers. In the meantime, there's always yuri discussion on /u/ and you can always reach out and meet other yuri fans through the internet.
>>
I'm honestly considering writing a couple of full length books based on my yuri fantasies. The characters have been fleshed out over years, the story is cute I think.

What I want to do is hire a good yuri artist and commission some good art work for the story/cover etc and see how it goes.

Would I be a complete tool if I kept my identity and gender ambiguous or pretended to be a female using a pen name?
>>
>>2292225
Not a complete tool, it's understandable because males writing yuri stories are considered creepy while females doing it are considered cute.

But I guess you readers might want to know what kind of person you are?

>>2292100
Thanks anon. Here's to hoping for more translation groups.
>>
Keep your tranny tears in /lgbt/ please.
>>
>>2292225
I'm trying to write a story with yuri in it too, but it is not going anywhere. I don't even know what the plot is going to be and I'm embarassed of writting. Even though I'm the only one reading it, I just feel so embarassed at my retarded ideas.
>>
>>2292410
Don't feel bad. No matter how bad your story is, you're still doing more than the people writing nothing at all.
>>
>>2292322
I just feel weird about lying but I read somewhere authors will hide their gender when writing certain types of stories to appeal to certain readers. I figured from the start my stories would be a little more appealing if they were written by a girl and not a guy who wishes he were born a girl.

>>2292410
I feel you. I still need to develop a plot and more characters and stuff. Work on the main characters interpersonal relationships etc. I have kind of an idea of the driving force behind the plot though, at least for the first book.

One of my problems i'm having is, do I write the story from one characters perspective or both of the main love interests? Do I follow their story exclusively or also follow the stories of the other characters?

I kinda want to do the latter. The whole book would follow a handful of the characters including the two main ones. Throw in some b-plots and stuff etc. Maybe intertwine their personal problems.

It's sort of a secret romance type story so it'd be fun to see other characters perspectives from outside of the two main characters.
>>
>>2292726
You don't need to lie outright. Many writers initialize their first name when publishing a book.
>>
>>2292322
>because males writing yuri stories are considered creepy while females doing it are considered cute.
By like a minority of insane people that fit the tumbleh stereotype.
>>
>>2292960
Naw normies too. I read somewhere some author used a female pen name because then romance story he wrote wouldnt be accepted by his target audience otherwise.
>>
>>2292726
Best answer to your question is probably "try it and see". You might find that writing it from both perspectives is more fun/interesting and gives you a break from writing a single perspective all the time. Or you might find that you absolutely cannot stand writing lengthy stretches of one character's perspective and you're better off just cutting out that POV.
>>
>>2292988
I might do it like, one chapter focusing on one of the main characters, another focuses on the other and then do some b-plots with other characters for fun.

I used to roleplay a lot and would always end up with lazy rp partners who only played their character so i'd have to play like ten characters plus mine so i'm used to writing from different perspectives.
>>
>>2292982
But if they find out the truth they might get even angrier.
>>
>>2291050
Anon, I hope you don't end as a person who collect pictures of frogs and eating only chicken tendies

shitposting in /u/ and asking advice on /adv/ might lessen your anxiety
>>
>>2292322
>males writing yuri stories are considered creepy while females doing it are considered cute

I never know if this is about a fear of men, or if this is some hardcore feminism, or just retarded.
>>
>>2293271
I mean, their logic is that men are doing it out of fetishism
>>
>>2291050
Talk to me
>>
>>2293636
Yuri is what I live for right now.

So when I run out, will I run out of reasons to live?
>>
File: 百合好きの人.jpg (131KB, 700x956px) Image search: [Google]
百合好きの人.jpg
131KB, 700x956px
>>2291050
The one good thing about being slow at Japanese is that I take a lot of time reading, so one worry I don't have is running out of yuri content. Between published manga series, scavenging pixiv and twitter, etc (and when I get faster I'll be more willing to tackle games and novels), I can't read every single thing ever, so I gotta prioritize the stuff I want to get to. I'm not saying you have to be learning the language, but for me Japanese is something I love and would be studying anyway, so it works out.
My real worry is artists and authors I like disappearing or deleting their accounts, or, you know, if the internet went away forever.
>>
>>2294176
>artists and authors I like disappearing or deleting their accounts
This happens too often and worst of all is when it is too niche and hasn't been backed up anywhere.
>>
>>2294191
I was pretty upset when this person http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?id=19319667
deleted everything and then thrilled when they came back, but here I am again being too lazy to read the stuff I never got to. I guess I should do that now. Or tomorrow.
>>
>>2294124
I asked myself the same question recently.

Here's hoping I figure things out. I'm going to try and schedule an appointment to see a therapist. Not for my love of yuri but the suicidal depression i've been suffering from all year.

If I start taking medication for it will it hurt my love of yuri?
>>
>>2294291
Love for yuri never leaves if you keep a place for it in your heart. Hope you get the help you need to love a life full of yuri even more anon.
>>
>>2291050
Learn Japanese. Then work so you can start buyfagging. Being able to read untranslated opens up a whole new world. Hell, there are plenty of untranslated /u/ friendly manga that are completely free to read on Pixiv, etc.

Then learn to drawfag. Because despite there being plenty of stuff to consume, you become picky. Become good enough to draw the kind of yuri you want to see. The journey to create the ultimate yuri series that eclipse the classics such as Girlfriends or Sasamekikoto should fill up the remainder of your life fairly nicely.
>>
>>2294355
Any resources on how to draw?

Especially qt. 3.14 grills, if I could draw that my life would be complete
>>
>>2291050
As long it's not Yuri on Ice.
>>
>>2294573
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1r76FugZ2pZIE74LdSEBMwGJ7HxweawNdoGrNT6hrOfs/edit
>>
>>2294597
Ok that's drawing on tablets. Is there traditional drawing? Like drawing on paper?

Or is it the future and drawing on tablets is the only way to go?
>>
>>2294597
>>2294607

Nvm there's both
>>
File: IMG_0048.jpg (4MB, 2851x3600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0048.jpg
4MB, 2851x3600px
Don't worry nigger, you just wan't to be the little girl. Everyone who browses here want's a gf, and hids their soul-crushing despair with lesbian cuteness.

Read Baudelaire if you hate everyone, everything, despise happiness and love, and still want some lesbian action.
>>
>>2291050
>no gf
Wishing they were all lesbians won't get you there.
>>
I runned into the same problem
Then I started reading VN's
When the VN's were over I started reading fanfiction
>>
>>2294723
Don't be so mean. Honestly, if my gf cheated on me with another girl i'd be chill

>>2294724
I'm willing to make that sacrifice for a better world
>>
>>2292380
This
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.