[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and many other contemporary auteurs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 5

Zack Snyder, Christopher Nolan and many other contemporary auteurs point to "love" as the solution to the world's problems.
What exactly does that 'love' entail? Is it sexual love also?
>>
>>87770674
It is the energy of the soul. Our bond to those that care about us that keeps us going. People who love and are beloved live far longer than the ones without love.
>>
Abrahamic God
>>
>>87770674
I hate this shit ideology because it implies one can be rid of hate. Which you can't. Hate is inherent to the human condition.
>>
>>87770674
Love means putting others ahead of yourself. It means trying to understand others, looking for common ground and things that unite us, rather than cataloguing all the ways they're "bad" and lesser than yourself.

Selflessness and love move humanity forward, selfishness, fear and hate drag us down. It's not a contemporary idea, it's a universal truth that has been proven again and again throughout history.
>>
>>87770865
Hate is better than indifference. Hate is also a fuel to our soul. Honestly, it doesn't surprise me that so many lonely people are hateful. Being hateful is easier and better than being indifferent. Eventually that hatred might become indifference which is of course an admission of defeat.
>>
>>87770865
You can't choose how to feel, but you can always choose how to act.
>>
>>87770674
i feel like an alien when i see movies with this. i don't get it at all. although, that's probably because i've been depressed since hitting my teens.
>>
>>87770865
Literally no one in the history of time has ever fought for what they loved without deep hatred in their heart.
>>
>>87770945
I agree with everything you just said, but love being used in shitty flicks as a nebulous plot device fills me with the need to destroy something
>>
Love is indeed the solution to all the world's problems, but you shouldn't tell that to people in the West. You should tell that to warlords in the Third World, State authorities in Far East, drug lords of South America...
>>
>>87771137
>>87770865
You can take it further, can we even love without fear? Fear of death makes us seek love. Love is a potent distraction of death. The fearless may very well be loveless.

I think taking out the element of fear out of these films is dishonest. Fear is basically the source of all our feelings.
>>
File: 1496516724144.jpg (111KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1496516724144.jpg
111KB, 720x1080px
>>87770674
so did they fuck or not?

never went to see this flick
>>
>>87771266
Damn, dat hair
>>
check these septuplets
>>
>>87770674
they have no actual answers
>>
>>87770674
Contemporary western civilization knows nothing about values. We are robots doomed to die. Whatever. Enjoy the show.
>>
Snyder points to moral complexities and hope, often having his characters start his movies from the lowest, most cynical point in their lives and only through dramatic changes in character and through emotional shock do they really change. And he does this with grandiose, hyper-stylized fantasists vision that depict consistent themes and ideals. When Snyder breaks into characters' "love" it's usually exploring the things that attract two people together, including personality, personal context and yes sexual appeal.

Nolan on the other hand is the ultimate cynical robot, dehumanizing his characters, creating dumb, exposition-spouting robots while simultaneously pointing to the fallacy of the non-debatable concept of "Love" without understanding personal nuance or subjectivity, or even how it can occur. He never explores how or why people come to "Love" he just points out that "They do Love". He is an inhuman robot who abhors violence and grit yet relishes in death and dread in cold sterile blue television cinematography. Like a Michael Mann without any sense of heightened style or machismo, or a Fincher without the horror aspect. And without the sexuality of either. A eunuch machine making movies for emotionally and sexually stunted manchildren.

To compare the two is very silly.
>>
>>87770674
>Is it sexual love also?
Two kinds of love babyfig.
Eros and Agape.
>>
>>87771467
I'll render you agape!
>>
>>87770945
Can you really love when you have never been loved?
How can a man transcend hate when the society he lives in works by this principle?
>>
>>87771420
good post desu
>>
>>87771559
>Can you really love when you have never been loved?
If not, how did love come to be? I say we love because there is no better way to cope with the coming death than love. A bit cynical maybe.
>>
>>87771559
You should listen to Geto Boys
>>
>>87771237
I disagree there. Non-romantic love exists and I'd go so far as to say the love of a parent for their child is the most unbreakable love in the known universe. It's not a love born from the fear of lacking a legacy, you could argue that instead ties in to romantic love as well. It's a love born from having the legacy, but it's not truly yours, a child is its own being. Watching something that was a part of you grow in to its own.
>>
They mean the pump and dump.
"Love" the beta lie men mostly use to cover sexual degeneracy since the dawn of time.
>>
File: tumblr_npxar837b11qi1sr2o1_250.gif (572KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_npxar837b11qi1sr2o1_250.gif
572KB, 245x184px
the power of love is the shittiest, lowest common denominator trope there is
>>
>>87771467
Heinlein argues Eros is equally as important
>>
>>87771420
Great post, underrated
>>
>>87771420
Is this post kino?
>>
>>87771559
You can only be loved if you approach others with love. This is gonna sound corny as fuck, but the whole world changes depending on how you look at it. You'll see a completely different side of people when you show them a different side of yourself. Good people kind of just appear out of the woodwork when you show them an act of goodness.

This is going to sound counterintuitive, but just think of people like animals. Because that's what we are, it's just more complicated because we have the ability to speak to each other. Understand that most of the time, we're using language to posture and disguise our true feelings and intentions, rather than to verbalize and explain them.

What happens when you encounter a wild animal? Their first response, almost always, is fear and caution. They'll either run away from you, or find some aggressive way to show you that they're strong and dangerous and it wouldn't be a good idea to attack them. If you meet their fear with fear, that'll be it, you'll run away from each other and have no meaningful interaction. If you meet their aggression with aggression, there will be a fight, or one of you will back down or run away and the end result will be the same as previously mentioned.

What if you want it to go a different way? What if you want to show that you're friendly, and have a moment of connection? Then you ignore your own fear and apprehension, you disobey your own fight-or-flight instinct and do neither. You make yourself still, stable, calm and approachable. And be patient. Give the animal time to get over its fear, and prove over a period of time that you're not a threat, and it's not a trick or a trap. Wait for the animal's fear to go away and turn to curiosity, and let it approach. Make a peace offering of some food, if you've got it.

Don't get mad at the animal for being afraid of you, or seeing you as a threat. Understand why it feels that way. And prove it wrong, through your own actions, over time.
>>
>>87771859
Pointing out "tropes" is the lowest form of criticism imaginable. Real life is mostly tropes and cliches. Authenticity is better than unpredictability every time
>>
>>87772250
>You can only be loved if you approach others with love
You usually need to have been taught that. A good family can teach this worldview to their kid.
If you 've been indoctrinated that there is a jungle out there, it is almost impossible to overcome your programming
>>
>>87770674
Be aware that you are asking this question to a bunch of basement dwelling kissless virgins.
>>
>>87770794
this, the only reason why i haven't off'd myself is because some people love me and i love them back.
>>
>>87770674
it doesn't mean anything, it's sentimentalist trite with no substance
>>
>>87772810
It's not easy for anyone, and you'll get burned sometimes. It IS a jungle out there, but you'll make your own life and many others better by making the effort.

Jesus was crucified. Martin Luther King was shot to death. Gandhi was shot to death. All of the above encountered a lot of hate and ignorance before they were killed, too. And so on, and so on. But they made a difference, and we remember them, because they didn't give up and they didn't let that negativity change their message. Because they encountered and inspired a whole lot of positivity to balance it out and make it all worth it.
>>
>>87770674
Love is a willingness to sacrifice.
>>
>>87773015
>But they made a difference, and we remember them, because they didn't give up and they didn't let that negativity change their message.
Yes, and we also remember people like Julius Caesar, Alexander, and Gengis Khan, who left behind them rivers of blood.
>>
File: 1306007394024.png (291KB, 680x680px)
1306007394024.png
291KB, 680x680px
>Zack Snyder will never make a mythic Hitler film
>>
>>87773142
Love is seeing your values reflected in another.
>>
>>87773150
Yeah, and grubby little weasels like Jeffrey Dahmer or Elliot Rodger, too. Anyone who acts upon their worldview and takes it to a memorable extreme makes history. If your only goal is notoriety there's a lot of ways to achieve it. I was focusing specifically on people known for promoting love and peace.
>>
>>87773201
probably because he's not a racist neo-nazi
>>
>>87772250
go join a seminar instead of writing self-help books on /tv/
>>
>>87773308
>promoting love and peace.
lol, what a fag
>>
>>87772307
I have nothing against the usage of tropes, except shit ones, like the power of love
>>
>>87771237
Your whole post couldnt be more retarded and non sensical
>Fear of death makes us seek love
Most people dont even acknowledge the fear of death if not directly faced with it
>>
>>87773201
Actually he plans to in a funny kind of way. He made the George W. Bush of comic book movies with 300 and the Trump of comic book films with BvS. He wants to make George Washington larger than life and when he does I know they will call it the Hitler of X movies. Snyder has to suspect this there's no way he doesn't get miffed at the cookie cutters calling him a fascist who started the alt-right.
>>
>>87774003
Them not acknowledging it doesn't mean it's not there. From the moment of birth, fear of death guides our every decision. Even those crazy suicide bombers are doing it hoping for eternal afterlife. You can't escape this fear. It will be with your every choice. The only thing that's real is our doom.
>>
>>87773688
No
>>
>>87774322
No its not, we dont live by fear, its very much the opposite, we live by enjoyment, , thats what we base our decisions on, doing things cause they will make us feel good or at least we hope. And thats why love is a thing, and not fucking fear, jesus christ
stop spouting nonsense you dont understand
>>
>>87774545
What is the basis of all that feels good? It is to escape death. To eat good food. To kiss and love a wife. To hold your child in your hands. All done under the shadow of death. We try to tell ourselves our whole lives that we will live up to the very moment we don't. Everything to suppress the realization of the inevitable death. Everything to push away that constant fear that resides in us that we desperately mask with joy and love but is actually the reason for our everything.
>>
>>87770674
Love-craftian
>>
So have you actually read any King besides IT and The Mist?
>>
Gal has really fuckable feet. It's retarded how there's not a single shot of her pressing her bare foot against a faggot's throat. A lot of these bitch's can't act. Why not show off what they're good for?
>>
>>87775003
I take it this is the wrong thread but there's not a WHOLE lot worth reading from King outside of those two things tbqh
>>
>>87775141
I thought this was one of the 10 IT threads up how embarrassing. I have a lot of tabs open.
>>
>>87775239
don't worry about it my famalam it happens to the best of us

The Mist was his best story tbqhwymfpfam
>>
>>87771420
>And without the sexuality of either. A eunuch machine
i think you may have stumbled on the reason for his popularity actually. his work is perfectly inoffensive and accessible for this exact reason, no one watching is necessarily confronted with emotional intensity in these aspects of the human experience, with snyder's reception being explained by the exact opposite. as richardy brody said, "he wants to see"
>>
>>87774724
As i told you before, most people completely disregard death in their average life. Escaping death is not the basis of what feels good, it simply doesnt apply, if everyone lived by fear, now one would even leave the house. Do i decide to eat good cause i fear for death? Do i study to get a good job cause i fear for death? People do things for the thrill of happiness, an how could they ever if they were all in fear, its completely contradictory
Thread posts: 60
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.