[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0 u4jFmE78 Is this the gr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 12

File: 123215326.jpg (116KB, 1680x714px) Image search: [Google]
123215326.jpg
116KB, 1680x714px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0u4jFmE78

Is this the greatest film scene of all time?
>>
>>87721659
Fuck no. Not even the best scene in a Roman themed film/movie.
>>
>>87721659
This isn't even the best scene in THAT MOVIE
>>
The gladiator fight with Pullo and Vorenus in Rome is way more poignant.
>>
File: reclaim_rome.png (411KB, 846x463px) Image search: [Google]
reclaim_rome.png
411KB, 846x463px
I HAVE COME
TO RECLAIM ROME
FOR MY PEEEPAAAAAAAAAAAL
>>
>>87721659

Daily reminder that Gladiator triggers every /his/ tard
>>
>/tv/ doesn't like Gladiator

I am going to bomb this website
>>
NO! IT'S NOT! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING SPECIAL IN THIS SCENE! IS JUST MAXIMUS INTRODUCING HIMSELF AND TERRIFYING COMMODUS! JUST THAT! NOTHING ELSE AT ALL! THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING BADASS IN THAT SCENE! IT'S A PURE MEH SCENE THAT WAS RUINED BY COMPLETE RETARDS THAT SAY IT'S SUCH A BADASS SCENE XD!!!
>>
>>87721982
being his accurate is shit for film, gladiator is kino
>>
>>87721982
>gladiator triggers the liberal history revisionist board
good
>>
>>87721659
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBE-uBgtINg

ANOL SHALOM
ANOL SHELEH
>>
Rome > 300 > Gladiator
>>
File: Nothing-Personal.jpg (12KB, 264x352px) Image search: [Google]
Nothing-Personal.jpg
12KB, 264x352px
What the fuck was his problem?
>>
Why did Maximus say his lines so quietly?
Didn't he know he was in the Colosseum?
Didn't he want the people to hear who he was?
>>
>>87722858
>revisionist
The characters backstories are entirely fictional, also they even fucked up the thumbs up gesture (sparing a gladiator was done with a thumbs down)
>>
>>87722974
300 is pleb trash
>>
>>87721737
> My father once said you were like a son to him. I guess that makes us brothers. Smile for me now brother.

>>87722015
Stay thy hand brotha. Gladiator is my single favorite movie of all time
>>
Pointless film

Maximus should have bent the knee and then fucked off home... or if he truly cared for Rome, stay close to your fucking army and stage a proper fucking coup... instead his wife gets raped and hung and his son butchered....
>>
His name should be Decimus Maximus Meridius
>>
File: a big emperor.jpg (13KB, 700x327px) Image search: [Google]
a big emperor.jpg
13KB, 700x327px
>>87721659
I wish they'd portrayed Commodus how he really was - literally a batshit insane psycho who liked to chop the limbs off unarmed slaved in the arena, beat ostriches and lions to death with a club, wear a wolf skin etc.
They actually toned him down because they thought modern audiences would find a more realistic portrayal of him too fanciful.
>>
>>87723567
Based LVCIVS AELIVS AVRELIVS COMMODVS AVGVSTVS HERCVLEVS ROMANVS EXSVPERATORIVS AMAZONIVS INVICTVS FELIX PIVS
>>
>>87721659
Phoenix is such a good actor
>>
>>87723092
They didnt "fuck up", retard. They made a conscious decision because of the modern connotations associated with thumbs up (positive) and thumbs down (negative).
>>
Reminder that virtually everyone on this board would do exactly what Commodus did and end up getting BTFO by Maximus
>>
File: 1403875679523.jpg (949KB, 3307x1999px) Image search: [Google]
1403875679523.jpg
949KB, 3307x1999px
>But the Senate is the people, sire. Chosen by the people to speak for the people

This is the one line that triggers me the most
>>
>>87724121
Indeed. The senate was an oligarchy.
>>
>>87723935
>pandering to retards
>good decision
>>
>>87721659
I love the disbelief on his face when commodus gives the thumbs up. Commodus knows he should have him killed right there and then, that there's bugger all anyone can do about it, it will solve this massive problem and that the only reason hes not doing it is because he desperately wants to be loved by the people. Silly commodus

Also the music is absolutely perfect, especially the way it punctuates particularly lines, like the mournful trumpet when marcus aurelius is mentioned.

Its a very good scene, and i do think its probably the best in the film
>>
>>87724181
>Making a movie for a niche bunch of historytards and losing millions of dollars
>Good decision
>>
>>87724160
Even moreso during the mid-Imperial period. I don't even know why they were shown fulfilling administrative tasks. Any role in government that the Senate enjoyed was long gone by the late second century.
>>
>>87723567
That's because ancient sources were made to be batshit retarded to maximize disapproval of emperors that the ruling class of Rome disliked. The stories of Nero, Claudius, and Commodus have as much credibility as Noah's Ark.
>>
>>87724270
A thumbs down would have been far more memorable. It would have added some much needed historical accuracy and would have spiked the curiosity of audiences. Instead they just dumb it down a la capeshit style.
>>
>>87724310
We know from statues, inscriptions and other sources that he was a crazy megalomaniac , not just the writings of senators. While you're right, much of it is likely exaggerated, he certainly did fight as a gladiator, which was scandalous. The instability of his reign, financial issues of the state at the time, and the fact that there were dozens of plots to have him killed - not to mention his eventual assassination - all point to the conclusion that he was a real cunt, and a very shitty emperor.
>>
>>87724349
A thumbs down would have made the audience think he had just ordered the guard to kill them (for a moment). It would have added momentary shock and suspense at a moment where it was not appropriate, and followed it with confusion, all based on the audience's ignorance of a piece of historical trivia

It would have ruined the scene

If you dont understand that you are autistic and dont actually understand films or are just trying to show off that you know some roman history
>>
>>87723984
u mean wanna fugg ur own sister?
>>
>>87724471
Those other sources are total BS. Only a few sources give a depiction of Commodus and they are very flawed. What we do factually know is that he was hated by the Senate but stayed in power because the people and the army supported him.
>>
>>87724595
Go to bed Joaquin
>>
>>87724595
The people and army supported Caracalla, and he was one of the worst rulers in recorded history. Just because he threw the army a donative or two, and provided the plebs with some games doesn't mean he wasn't a massive autistic faggot. He managed to stay alive for a few years because he:
A: Abandoned his father's Marcomannic Wars to the relief of the Danubian legions
B: Spent his entire reign pissing away money with no regard for the health of the empire
C: Was the son of Marcus Aurelius, which at first afforded him considerable respect and legitimacy.
>>
>>87724721
>A
Technically correct, but only because of the Roman system being too dependent on wars of conquest at its core. Stopping an expensive war has clear economic benefits, and the flaws of the Roman system were not evident at the time.
>B: Spent his entire reign pissing away money with no regard for the health of the empire
The only historical accurate source for this is Commodus granting more power to Cleander, who was wrongfully blamed for a food shortage in Rome. Cleandar also sold public offices, and this did cause unrest, but cannot be attributed to any massive instability.
>C: Was the son of Marcus Aurelius, which at first afforded him considerable respect and legitimacy.
The Senate didn't give a shit at all. They still tried to assassinate him constantly because they suffered from increase taxes.
>>
File: 1505225023818.jpg (53KB, 378x376px) Image search: [Google]
1505225023818.jpg
53KB, 378x376px
>be a philosopher king, with wisdom so profound your meditations are still widely read 2000 years after your death
>produce a son like Commodus
What the FUCK went wrong?
>>
>>87725179
Who knew following a philosophy based entirely on suppressing your emotions would promote bad parenting
>>
>>87725179
Education of others is not easy desu.
>>
File: ralphie.jpg (4KB, 180x135px) Image search: [Google]
ralphie.jpg
4KB, 180x135px
WHAT WE DO NOW ECHOES IN ETERNITY
>>
>>87721659

>Commodus gets slandered in this fucking hatchet job

it's kino, but it's as partisan as Richard III the play was
>>
>>87721659
AM I NOT MERCIFUL?!?!?!11111oneoneone
>>
>>87723237
thats what i was thinking
why the fuck would you reveal your power level so soon... play along for now then revolt
>muh honorr!
>>
>>87725249
Total plebeian tier understanding of Stoicism.
>>
>>87721659
ridley scott is a hack

gladiator sucks

this scene gives me goosebumps
>>
>>87721659
It's unironically a masterpiece
The writing is so cliched and contrived. 90% of actors/directors would have fucked it up
But it's done so perfectly in Gladiator
>>
>>87726736
It works great because Joaquin Phoenix is a great actor. The best movies always have the best villains as well.
>>
>>87726736
I agree. Gladiator is like a western Final Fantasy, it's genuinely done enough to sell you completely on the over idyllic story.
>>
File: Inherent-Vice-Wallpapers.jpg (336KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Inherent-Vice-Wallpapers.jpg
336KB, 1920x1080px
>>87721659

Phoenix has incredible range, it's a sea of difference between this and something like Inherent vice, and he can pull off both like nothing
>>
File: pls.jpg (16KB, 352x151px) Image search: [Google]
pls.jpg
16KB, 352x151px
>>87727215
>>
File: Proximo.jpg (28KB, 946x411px) Image search: [Google]
Proximo.jpg
28KB, 946x411px
Best thing about the movie right here.
>>
>>87726929
am i not merciful?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5tM3FOjTZc
>>
>>87721659
No, but it is one of the greatest “first confrontation” scenes in history.
>>
>>87727415
The internet was a mistake
>>
>>87727517
>You sold me queer giraffes
>>
>>87726736
this desu
also the ost
>>
Phoenix is so talented.
After Maximum revelation, he doesnt say anything but his body and his lips are telling everything, brillant.
>>
>>87721659
Always found it a waste that none of his fellow gladiators show any reaction whatsoever. The guy is basically one of the highest commanding Roman officers and no one even blinks
>>
>>87728390
They already know who he is. One of them literally says: "I served with you at Vindobona" like 5 minutes earlier.
>>
>>87727840
Best line of the movie
>>
File: 1502280694509.gif (2MB, 268x375px) Image search: [Google]
1502280694509.gif
2MB, 268x375px
>>87727415
>comments section
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.