[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Stephen King sucks. I have no idea why he's hailed as such

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 94
Thread images: 7

File: fucking asshole.jpg (360KB, 1536x983px) Image search: [Google]
fucking asshole.jpg
360KB, 1536x983px
Stephen King sucks. I have no idea why he's hailed as such a god. His books are always tedious and dumb. But his movies, oh man, his fucking movies. They are AWFUL. Every last one of them.
>>
>>87695386
Misery, Shawshank Redemption, Green Mile are objectively great. And sometimes his source material is used to create something very special, like Kubrick's the Shining.

I'll grant you he's written a shitload of shlock however.
>>
But he's only made one movie.
>>
>>87695386
I'm from Maine and met him once as a kid. He was eating a burger and my dad spotted him and had me shake his hand.
>>
>>87695612
I doesn't matter. If his name is associated with a movie that's based off a story he wrote, with his personal permission, it becomes in part, his property. And with his property ownership comes his responsibility when said movie flops
>>
>ywn be a white guilt cuck who lives in an all white town within your secluded residence away from non-whites who gets to say Trump voters are racist for not allowing coloreds to kill them.
>>
>Christine
>awful
>The Shining
>awful
>Carrie
>awful
>Stand By Me
>awful

Maybe you just have shit taste, OP.
>>
>>87695386
I've never read one of his novels, but read some of his short story collections when I was younger. There were some really good ones in there.
>>
I don't know why he has so much trouble sticking a landing.
>>
>>87695386
Shawshank
Green Mile
The Shining
Stand by Me
The Mist (mostly because of the fucked up ending)

All great movies
>>
>the running man
>the dead zone
>>
>>87695828
The Shining and Stand By Me
>awful
well, you're retarded
>>
>>87695913
Not him, but your reading comprehension is awful. Work on that.
>>
File: yosh.png (75KB, 182x265px) Image search: [Google]
yosh.png
75KB, 182x265px
>people actually like The Shitting
>>
>>87695907
Christine is very good too.
>>
King has amazing ideas for stories but they're almost always horribly executed.

Most of his stuff is pretty shit but every now and then he comes up with something great, its just surrounded by lots of crap.
>>
>>87695965
I've not seen that one, only seen it referenced in Futurama
>>
>>87695386
What a cuck.

The Road,
>>87695449
everything here
That JFK time travel story. Pet Semetary's book, Running Man, Stand By Me, that movie about the hotel room, Whatever it was called with Johnny Depp and the window, Creepshow 1 and 2 (maybe 3 was him too?). And much more.
King is shit till you watch or read his work.
>>
>>87695386

Kindly fuck off. The Dark Tower novels are fucking great. The movie is awful true, but that´s hardly King´s fault.
>>
File: rage.png (174KB, 424x470px) Image search: [Google]
rage.png
174KB, 424x470px
I don't hate King by any means, but

>mfw someone refers to him as the best thing in horror literature after Poe and Lovecraft
>>
>>87695386
i'll never understand hollywood hardon for this hack's books.

any anonymous writer could come up with better movie ideas, and the audiences don't seem care for him either.
>>
>>87695688
Fuck, I thought you met King when HE was a kid.
Still, you were lucky.
>>
>>87696045
>The Road
That's Cormac McCarthy
>>
>>87695907
>>87695965
>christine
DUDE A CAR LOL LIKE OMG WTF DUDE ITS A CAR KILLING BULLIES!!! WHOA!
>>
>>87696063
that would be Ligotti or Barron
>>
>>87695985
They aren't actually that bad at all. At worst, it's the endings that falter and that he adds too much shit. The Stand is fucking amazing just too long. Not that it really bothered me though. When you read old classics, THEN You'll see some tough shit
>>
>>87696115
Must suck being a reductive douchebag with bad taste in movies.
>>
>>87695941
reddit
>>
>>87696092
Sorry, I mean the Long Walk. Under his pseudonym.
I read both, so I mixed them up.
>>
>>87695386

I enjoy some of his books and I like his Dark Tower series but I'll never understand why he's hailed as a pop culture icon as he is when all his novels are just copy and pastes of one another.
>>
>>87696115
Christine is among the few stories I DIDN'T like and it's still pretty damn good. Can anyone actually name a BAD book by him? I can name bad film adaptations but purely bad book? Not many.
>>
>>87696158
Nice rebuttal, retard.
>>
>>87696196
IT
>>
>>87696214
more reddit
>>
Me and King used to be lovers back in the 80's, we used to do a shitload of cocaine and then bang.
Misery was written about me, last page you'll see a "dedicated to John" , that's me.
>>
>>87696196
Tommyknockers wasn't good. Not awful though
>>
>>87696196

Duma Key? I couldn't finish it. Just found it a bore. Is Lisey's Story worth reading? I don't think I've read any of his 00s stuff except for Cell.
>>
>>87696242
nah that books is good, wolves of the calla was bad and made me drop the series for good.
>>
File: 19963506._SX540_.jpg (47KB, 540x276px) Image search: [Google]
19963506._SX540_.jpg
47KB, 540x276px
i like these ones
>>
>>87696242
Literally his best book, even though neither movie is especially great.
>>
>>87696257
Please do not spread lies about me. I have never had a gay relationship with anyone.
>>
>>87696242
I actually didn't read that one. One of the few. Still, trusted friends said it's good, I am iffy.

>>87696262
Eh, yea, that's weak. It's not bad, as you've said. It's a weird choice.

>>87696274
Duma Key is honestly probably okay. It suffered from a lot of his generic bullshit.

>Lisey's story
I dont know that one. Short story?
>>
>>87695386
I would give my left nut just to be able to write as much as him, but yes he has a very specific set of themes and plots he works with and his works come across as very repetitive.
>>
>>87696291
>>87696311
>book has an underage orgy scene
course you guys would like it
>>
>>87696291
It worth going on but yea, that's a weak book.
Well, I guess it's really how invested you were. It definitely gets better.
>>
Pet Sematary and The Running Man are very entertaining books and films. Considering how long the book It is, I remember zipping through it very quickly. He can write a page turner.
>>
>>87696340

I think Lisey's Story is his first book released this millennium I believe. I remember buying it on release day and I don't think I've read it.
>>
>>87696311
Didn't watch the second but the first was hilariously bad.
>>
File: the-shining.jpg (210KB, 710x400px) Image search: [Google]
the-shining.jpg
210KB, 710x400px
>the best movie adaption his work is the one that made more changes
You can't make this shit up
>>
>>87696343
Nah, it's just elements.
>New England
>Writer
>Alcoholic/drugs
>horror
>previous trauma
Other than those, it's unique enough.
But I tend to be forgiving. Michael Crichton wrote some 'good' books. The IDEAS they talk about are fucking great but his characters are horseshit: just enough characterization to get the story to flow.
King uses the same background to do stories.
I really was anti-King when I was young but I tend to appreciate him more now.
>>
>>87696129
Now that you mention them can you recommend me horror similar to Ligotti or Barron? I read both of their stuff and I want more
>>
>>87695386
Drider?
>>
>>87696439

Perdido Street Station was good for new horror. Not sure if it's 100% horror but there's definitely elements. Go and read Gormenghast too.
>>
>>87695386
funny how nobody on 4chan ever brought him up until his movie got popular and now contrarian faggots have come out of the woodwork to keep making this thread over and over, really activates my almonds
>>
>>87696430
Misery is better though and some of the changes were BAD in the Shining. As in, very bad. The changes you are talking about aren't major plot changes, you know.
Did you read the book or just read reviews, anon?
>>
>>87696484
you're new, i see
>>
>>87696519
I'm not him but King wasn't discussed much till IT came out. We rather rarely spoke about him. Don't bullshit us, anon.
Only now do we see 3-4 threads about him daily.
>>
>>87696488
>some of the changes were BAD in the Shining. As in, very bad.
Name them. I haven't read the book in 10+ years, but I saw the miniseries that King wrote not long ago and that was (narratively) worse than Kubrick's Shining in every way I can think of.
>>
>>87696560
do you only browse /tv/?
>>
>>87696310

Good taste. Drawing of the three is still one of my favorites.
>>
>>87696579
How Black guy dies
What happens to the hotel
A lot of Danny scenes are removed
Jack's descent into madness is a bit different
Even I'm scrapping my memory. It's been a while since I saw the film OR read the book.
>>
>>87695803
>ywn be a deranged brainwashed memespouting faggot who lives in terror of Da Joos and brown people
feels pretty, pretty good
>>
>>87696597
Nah. /a/ sometimes, /v/ a bunch, /lit/ occasionally, /wsg/ weekly. Rarely /b/ honestly.
>>
>>87696196
Salem's Lot is so insanely boring at the beginning that I never made it past 50 pages or so
>>
>>87696366
>it offended me so that means it's bad! >:(
grow a pair bitch
>>
>>87696692
Apparently it's very good anon. Haven't read it personally but it's very popular. Some stories do start slow honestly.
>>
>>87696674
Get the fuck outta my house Larry you bald prick
>>
>>87696722
Books like 30 years old. And people are talking about THIS? When the miniseries/2movies came out in the 90s, were people talking about that scene too?

It's really not a huge deal.
>>
>>87696808
the movies didn't use that scene
>>
For every 10 books he writes, one is gold other are garbage. He's a factory of print
>>
>>87695386
No, you suck
>>
>>87696619
same here. i was pretty pissed when elba was announced as roland and it was speculated detta would be a white bitch.
>>
>>87696636
Halloran's death in Kubrick's film is better than him saving the day in King's book. The Overlook claiming Jack in Kubrick's film is better than it exploding in King's book. The Danny scenes Kubrick doesn't use don't serve his narrative. Kubrick portrays Jack as an alcoholic abuser from the start whereas King does nothing but make excuses for him and blames his downfall on an external source (the Hotel) rather than his own demons, largely because he's a blatant self-insert.

I get why King hates the movie, but he's wrong, it's better than his story in every way that counts.
>>
>>87696937
Yea, but it's big news now despite it STILL not being in the movie.
>>
>>87697145
Nah, Halloran dying might be okay but the way he died was really shit. Actually, I still prefer him saving the day.
THe Overlook blowing up was dumb though.
Kubrik fucked up the alcoholism. Him falling was better than always being bad.
Nah, I think Kubrik is great but he didn't improve the Shining. He just made a different version. I DO like the movie of course. It's just not the same. Though, honestly, neither were amazing storywise.
>>
File: 14898502120.png (457KB, 529x768px) Image search: [Google]
14898502120.png
457KB, 529x768px
>>87696488
what a waste of dubs
>>
File: 1449541785628.jpg (46KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
1449541785628.jpg
46KB, 600x400px
King is certainly schlock-tier if you're comparing his books to high literature.

But he does have a tendency to capture certain themes very well, like in It with the themes of growing up and overcoming your fears.

I hate to say that monetary success=talent but in King's case if you're one of the most popular writers in the world then obviously you've tapped into something that resonates with people.

Also I should note that his son, Joe Hill, has pretty much surpassed King already in terms of writing quality, since he's learned from King's major mistakes.
>>
>>87697435
Really? I heard his son was good but wow.
King would be great outside of writing too if he didn't discuss Trump. I can't take anyone seriously who discusses him pro or anti.
Great guy though. Loved his meeting with George RR Martin. Total opposites in terms of writing.
>>
>>87697435
>Also I should note that his son, Joe Hill, has pretty much surpassed King already in terms of writing quality
ugh, I don't agree with this at all, Horns was terrible.
>>
Gotta say, reading IT right now and the first few chapters are incredibly fucking boring. I don't need 20 pages telling me how similar Eddie's wife is to his mother, I understood what he's getting at in about 20 seconds
>>
>>87697107

I thought something of the sort too... not because Elba couldn´t pull it off as an actor (even though both Eddie and Jake describe Roland as blondie/ the man with no name/ Clint Eastwood... heck Eddie even compares him to King) but because the fear Detta had for Roland and Eddie when they first met is such a big part of her character... and it kind of never goes away either. I have no doubts that´s one of the reasons Mia was white too.

It seems to me they wanted to avoid the issue all together and roll with the inclusive trend at the same time... which not only ends up coming as more racist but it also fucks up for no reason at all.

After all, Susannah is a handicaped black woman that kicks ass. They really could not get more inclusive than her and part of that charm is that she is broken, just as Eddie´s charm is that he was once a hopeless yonki and Roland´s awesomeness comes from the fact of everything he has lost including his lack of fingers and his reuma.
>>
>>87695386
i read an interview with "der spiegel" where he said he wrote most of his books either on cocaine or drunk and that he just started writing sth and seldom knew how his books would end.
he even said there's a tiwst (at the end of the second book of the dark tower seires iirc) that really suprised him when he came up with it.

not memeing, this is legit and you can look it up if you don't believe me
>>
>>87695964
i read it when i was like 13 and it really spooped the shit out of me. going to the bathroom was terrifying
>>
>>87698019
WELCOME TO STEPHEN KING.
Learn to skim I guess. A lot of his books are overly long in places. Just skip parts.
>>
>>87695688
>be stephen king
>enjoying life in the 80s as a rich bastard with relative anonymity given no internet
>mmm this is a tasty burger
>feels good man
>some dirty commoner child comes up to you
>probably outside playing in dirt and picking his nose
>"hey mister love your books can i shake your hand
Your dad btfo'd that homo
>>
>>87698119
Dude, we believe you. It's well known he's a drug/alcohol freak.
>>
>>87695386

>Every last one of them.

Shitting on someone popular isn't cool or intelligent. He has had objectively good material, if your unable to recognize that it just means your an idiot.
>>
>>87695386
Stephen King is a really creepy dude. Some of his ideas are pretty neat, but his writing is sloppy. He is 100% into rape/ children though, a lot of his works leave you feeling the wrong kind of uncomfortable.
>>
Stephen King was only good on coke. The only movies that work out are those that keep him as far away as possible.
>>
>>87696692
Salem's Lot is one of my favorite horror novels desu
>>
>>87695386
Your seething hate for King tells me one of two things:
1. You're an angry /pol/baby who is angry because King doesn't like King Cheeto
or
2. You simply have no good taste.
>>
>>87695386
Why is he such a weird sex pervert? Why do 99% of his books include some sort of depraved sexual act?
>>
>>87695803
Does Stephen King pay rent or is he just living in your head rent free?
>>
>>87696115
I liked the shot of the car driving while on fire. Pure kino
Thread posts: 94
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.