[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let's pretend I'm trying to write a perfect horror

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 4152857700_ffd6e5cf7e_o.jpg (522KB, 888x1429px) Image search: [Google]
4152857700_ffd6e5cf7e_o.jpg
522KB, 888x1429px
Let's pretend I'm trying to write a perfect horror script. What are the things that I shouldn't do? What are the things that are I should?
>>
>>87617657
Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrj5oQtodCc
And one very important thing to note is that characters do NOT have to be stupid or make stupid decisions, look at the characters in Carpenter's Thing for example, very few if any of the deaths in that movie are caused by the character doing something stupid and more that they are completely out of their depth and the monster/force is beyond what they thought it was capable of.
>>
>>87617657
ask /tv/ for advice
>>
>>87617902
>characters do NOT have to be stupid or make stupid decisions
This should apply to pretty much every single script. Resorting to stupidity to make the thing move is lazy as hell.
>>
>>87618001
It is fun to talk with you guys
>>
Do your best to try to minimise the amount of jump scares you have. I watch a lot of horror films and especially with modern ones they rely on jump scares too much. It's gone to the point where I can watch a horror movie or a trailer for a upcoming horror film and predict the jump scare.
>>
>>87618280
My idea is to have either one or two. I know I want to have one near the end but I don't know if I will use another one in the middle.
>>
>>87618400
Well if you have it in your head to have one near the end then use that. But the other one you seem less sure so try not to because it might come off as awkward or forced.
>>
>>87618539
Yeah, that sounds sensible
>>
>>87617657
Give it to me. I ll make a short film out of it for cents, and Del Toro will get me into Hollywood to remake It again.

>>87618013
Not really. Not every character should take the best decisions at all times. Its not realistic. The issue you are talking about and falsely calling it plothole is just erratic human nature.

I dont blame you tho, youtube pleb critics are focused more and more on plotholes than actual cinema. Honest trailers and RLM popularized this anti-filmic understanding of the medium. Stop watching that shit asap so you unpleb yourself.
>>
>>87619893
It's not them making the Best decisions or even good decisions, they can make bad decisions but not overtly stupid ones. There's a specific shade there.
>>
>>87620237
>bad decision
>stupid decision

Explain the difference.
>>
>>87620538
Reacting in a selfish way is a bad decision that could bring bad consequences but it's not really a stupid decision. Reacting quick and viscerally in a situation that would require - but doesn't allow - cold reacting would be, also, a bad decision but it's not really stupid. Pure bad luck in choosing could count as a bad decision but it's not really stupid neither. Stupid is just stupid for the sake of merely advancing the plot. But there are tons of bad decision that you can understand that made some logic in the mind of the character that made them.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.