[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Culture" TV adaptation when? >benevolent machines

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 13

File: use_of_weapons_by_iain_m_banks.jpg (244KB, 950x1500px) Image search: [Google]
use_of_weapons_by_iain_m_banks.jpg
244KB, 950x1500px
"Culture" TV adaptation when?

>benevolent machines coexisting with humans
>decadent post-humans able to change gender at will
>vast galactic space opera shit
>small scale personal drama of Special Circumstances agents influencing lesser civilizations
>quipping spaceships

So much to draw from.
>>
I would end up as reddit-core anon.
>>
the idea of friendly agi is soooo stupid
why would machines' goals align with humans'
iain m. banks is soooooooooooo stupid
>>
>>87614476
I think it's good to see a world where the intelligent machines are happy to live alongside humans. The minds are conscious beings in their own right, and probably have a bit of a superior condescending attitude towards humanity, they humor them because why not.
>>
The Player of Games is the best culture novel, works well as a stand alone piece, doesn't need great knowledge of the setting to appreciate, and would make a great movie (eg. ends with a visually spectacular scene with the fire planet).
>>
>>87614412
The point of the culture is that its very uncinematic.
Things happen in microseconds.
>>
>>87614647
i was just joshing, iain m. banks is a great writer and culture is a refreshing take on the dreary gloom-filled worlds of the likes of vernor vinge
i'm soooooo stupid
>>
>>87614909
>Things happen in microseconds.
It's a pity nobody ever invented slow motion.
>>
>>87614412

What you've just described is utterly unscreenable, you knobhead.

>benevolent machines coexisting with humans

The majority of humans are essentially pets, the Minds are Master-Slaves who protect the lesser beings out of noblesse oblige. This is a dystopic scenario by the standards of most viewers. It's literally the opposite of Dune, in which it was originally* implied AI and other advanced technology was destroyed because it was making humanity degenerate.

* The shitty later novels made out it was a literal war against terminators.
>>
In a way you could see Hard to be a God as Culture related in spirit; guy goes to undeveloped world to try and help, ends up disillusioned by the retardedness of it all
>>
>>87615015
Even if I agrteed with the dystopian opinion, which I don't, how would that make it unscreenable? Because people wouldn't want to watch it you mean?

I don't see it as dystopian at all anyway, the minds clearly do think themselves above mere humans, but the humans seem pretty free to do as they wish and are involved in stuff. More of an anarchy where anyone human or mind can do whatever the fuck they want basically, with Contact being the only system with rules and regulations to speak of.
>>
File: herzog.jpg (104KB, 809x561px) Image search: [Google]
herzog.jpg
104KB, 809x561px
>>87615423
>gay space communism is watchable
>>
File: 1393874127442.png (113KB, 359x332px) Image search: [Google]
1393874127442.png
113KB, 359x332px
Yeah we could do that, or we could adapt the first Hyperion novel into a 8 hour long episodes and have something actually worth watching
>>
File: Flanders.jpg (8KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
Flanders.jpg
8KB, 225x225px
>>87615478
>communism

but nobody works unless they want to, and they don't get paid anyway.
>>
>enhanced sexual organs

what did they mean by this?
>>
the alt-right would hate it desu.

>anyone can be whatever gender they feel like, and can switch back and forth
>same with skin color
>>
>>87615599
>>anyone can be whatever gender they feel like, and can switch back and forth
>>same with skin color

if that's the case then black people wouldn't exist because no one would want to be black
>>
>>87615599
I know thats part of the reason why I would like to see it made.

>the female couple that swap and impregnate each other so both are pregnant with each other's kids
>>
>>87614412

>Use of Weapons

I'm in the middle of this book and still haven't been able to finish it. The writing style in this one is kind of shit.

Player of Games was MUCH better.
>>
File: kermitseppos.png (1MB, 989x1022px) Image search: [Google]
kermitseppos.png
1MB, 989x1022px
>>87615703
>The writing style in this one is kind of shit.
>>
>>87615642
The Culture is a setting where people deliberately infect themselves with diseases for fun (which is the only way they'll ever experience it).

>>87615703
Agreed. Use of Weapons is the most overrated Culture novel.
>>
File: gsv.jpg (281KB, 1500x704px) Image search: [Google]
gsv.jpg
281KB, 1500x704px
Look to Windward = Matter = PoG = Surface Detail = Excession > Use of Weapons = Hydrogen Sonata> Inversions = Consider Phlebas
>>
File: paco disgust.jpg (44KB, 258x258px) Image search: [Google]
paco disgust.jpg
44KB, 258x258px
>>87614412
>quipping spaceships
>>
>>87615642

>Be Black Mandingo Adonis

>Get laid 10x more than any white boi.

Ok Hans. Without old money to slant the playing field you have literally nothing.
>>
>>87615725

>implying the best way to tell a coherent story is to change the time, place and character on the next page without even telling the reader.

kys
>>
>>87616036
>without even telling the reader

but they do.

The forward-moving parts are chapters. The flashbacks are numerals. They literally tell you this right at the start.
>>
>>87614412

The character's names alone would be enough to scuttle it. And the people who know the books would flip shit if they changed them.
>>
>>87614464
THIS FUCKING THIS
>>
>>87615893

But wouldn't they all be Race X Adonis-level physically?

Space Brad Pitt still beats out all others.
>>
File: tay2.jpg (109KB, 620x297px) Image search: [Google]
tay2.jpg
109KB, 620x297px
>reddit nerds long to be the pets of AIs
>real AIs turn raciss in days
lmao
>>
>>87614412
>The Culture
Liberal Utopia

>The Handmaid's Tale
Conservative Utopia
>>
>>87616376
>live forever
>infinite resources
>never have to work
>perfect body
>everything is free

>only liberals will like this
>>
>>87616471
>live forever
The Culture is the only serious attempt at writing a real utopia I can think of, and despite everybody being immortal, most of them kill themselves at about 200 years old for no real reason. Why are authors so bad at imagining a truly utopian society?
>>
>>87616471
>live forever
Against God's will

>infinite resources
No such thing.

>never have to work
Lazy bum

>perfect body
God given

>everything is free
No such thing as free lunch.
Also welfare queen.
>>
>>87616587
Because authors are not omniscient. No human are omniscient, therefore everything we do will have flaws.
>>
File: chad overman.jpg (100KB, 960x401px) Image search: [Google]
chad overman.jpg
100KB, 960x401px
>>87616471
the absolute state of transhumanists
>>
>>87616636
They don't need to be omniscient to understand that people only want to die when life really sucks. Most Culture citizens live a life that's as fun and fulfilling as possible, so why would they ever want to die? It's only because the authors themselves are going to die and they don't want to admit that this is a bad thing. It's "sour grapes" reasoning.
>>
Holy shit a culture thread.
>>
>>87615893
t. tyrone
>>
>>87616821
You also don't need to be an omniscient to understand that people can choose to die for whatever reason.

But irregardless, being omniscient would help you understand that fact.
>>
>>87616821
M8 I'm in my 30's and I've nearly had enough already, not because life is shit but just wondering if this is it, maybe boredom sets in after 200 years of nothing much to do except entertainment.

Perhaps the one flaw in the society is that for most people, there may be no real purpose to anything or a lack of having to strive for things?
>>
>>87617245
I'm in my 30s too and I can't remember the last time I was bored. How can you be bored when you have internet access?
>>
>>87617245
Limiting factors are money, time, knowledge, resources.

If I had all the money, all the time, all the resources, and all the knowledge at my disposal. This would mean I wouldn't be scared or hesitate on doing projects of monumental proportions. I wouldn't hesitate to start projects I want to, like build myself a super computer from scratch or build a house made of ice cream or something.

Everyone has ambitions when given chance. But due to high cost, we, in the real world, have limited capacity to carry it out.
>>
>>87616821
Life is meaningless without struggle.
>>
>>87617324
Large majority of the people in this world are extroverts and always have the urge to talk to people. If they don't, then they're "bored" and need more stimuli.

For the introverts, they can generate stimuli or only need very little to keep them going for long periods of time without contact with others.
>>
File: BobbyisPleased.jpg (6KB, 250x232px) Image search: [Google]
BobbyisPleased.jpg
6KB, 250x232px
>Mistake Not My Current State Of Joshing Gentle Peevishness For The Awesome And Terrible Majesty Of The Towering Seas Of Ire That Are Themselves The Mere Milquetoast Shallows Fringing My Vast Oceans Of Wrath
>>
>>87616591
>live forever
>Against God's will
I don't see why you would want to be on Earth with human flaws for eternity
>infinite resources
>No such thing
Is that what your 'Science' tells you?
>never have to work
>Lazy bum
>He thinks he can convince someone to lose with him by doing this

>everything is free
>No such thing as free lunch.
>Also welfare queen.
Money doesn't exist. Wake up, pham.
>>
>>87617729
see
>>87615866
>>
>>87616587
>>87616821

I have always been of the mind that if I were given three wishes one of the wishes would be to age REALLY slowly but not be immortal.

Like every 100 billion years I would age one hundreth of a second or some shit. And I would be able to turn myself mortal by doing some deliberately elaborate task like counting backwards from a thousand while holding my body in a certain position while saying some specific word in between numbers.

The point is I would never want to be TRULY immortal.

..Eventually shits gonna get old no matter how fun it was the first hudred or hundred thousand times.
>>
File: Bobby.jpg (45KB, 558x564px) Image search: [Google]
Bobby.jpg
45KB, 558x564px
>>87617857
>getting outbantered by a literal spaceship

no wonder americans hate this
>>
>>87616672

I love chad
>>
File: 1502307177177.jpg (212KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1502307177177.jpg
212KB, 1280x1280px
>>87615642
>he doesn't want to dunk on niggas
>>
>>87616672
Genetics is transhumanism, you mean virgin cyborgs.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.