[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Maybe because I have very low expectations, but this turned out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 118
Thread images: 6

File: Untitled.jpg (115KB, 666x999px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
115KB, 666x999px
Maybe because I have very low expectations, but this turned out to be watchable. Better than the 3rd or 4th one at least.
>>
>>87476800
>Maybe because I have very low expectations
Honestly that's the only way to watch movies. People don't seem to understand that unrealistic expectations ruin more movies than bad filmmaking.
>>
>>87476800
>better than the 3rd
get out
>>
>>87476800
I thought it was the worst of the five
Events just happen without any reason. Like the ending, Barbossa was actually with them the entire time apparently, just watching them fight and doing nothing
The story was borderline nonsensical

And the opening scene with young Henry and Orlando was fucking appalling. Terrible acting, terrible dialogue, just terrible
>>
>>87476800
Jack Sparrow became his own parody they really shifted the character from its roots.
He is now a cartoon character with slapstick comedy.
He used to be eccentric but also clever and has some sort of nobility now just drunk clown.
Worst one in the series imo
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1920x800px
Man the CG was really bad. I think the 2nd movie had better CG than this shit. Young Sparrow looked awful. They can do young RDJ and Kurt Russell in the MCU, why can't they do young Depp?

Also that green screen at the end where they were hanging off anchors.
>>
>>87477160
Young Russel looked awful what the fuck.
>>
>>87476889
3rd one was non-sensical and too long. this one at least had the grace of being just 2 hours long and having a generic but understandable plot.
>>
>>87476800
God damn this board has shit taste. It is legit 1/10 2/10 trash. I had no expectations and it was still that bad
>>
>>87476842
>having an expectation of quality from the media you consume is a bad thing, because then you'll not enjoy all these shitty movies and end up having decent taste or something

n i c e
>>
i love first three movie mostly watch them back to back.
4th one is bad but i like the mermaid qt in it.
new one is just trash.
>>
>>87477396
So it's worse than the 4th one? Because that was seriously, really fucking bad.
>>
It was decent with some laughable moments, shame they completely Flanderized Jack Sparrow but at least we had Barbossa to be competent as always.
>>
>orlando bloom and keira knightley playing parents to a 20-year old

lol
>>
>>87477515
Yep

1 4/5
2 3.5/5
3 2.5/5
4 1.5/5
5 1/5
>>
>>87477515
yeah, they are both bad but i would put 4th one before 5th one.
Blackbeard was better than Salazar
Mermaid stuff was neat
i genuinely laugh at "someone make a note of that man's bravery" scene
i hate the penelope cruz's character
the new movie i just dont care,
Jack completely retarded
new characters has no charisma,
new bad guy just a bad rehash of barbossa from first movie.
tired cliches.
>>
>>87476800
i liked kaya's tiddies in it
>>
>>87476800
>That wedding scene
I'm sorry but you're fucking WRONG
>>
>>87478066
but the "I do" scene is kino
>>
>>87477160
You sure about that?
>>
the fourth one was bad but i loved the idea of christian guys going around destroying the fountain of you because eternal life can only come through salvation
I want more movies about heretics getting btfo
>>
>>87476800
So, I downloaded that trash. Couldn't get past the girl introduction. She's lived all her life on her own yet became an astronomer, of course accused of being a witch by backward priests because religion is bad and stronk womyn is good. lockpicks the door and slams it on priest face, YASS QUEEN .
Salazar looks like a very crappy version of Davy Jones, he keeps repeating "death" like a retard. Less than 10 minutes in and I was sick of it already
>>
Literally only plebs thought the fourth film was bad
1 > 4 >2 >>3 >>>>>>> 5
>>
>>87477160
Young Sparrow wasn't CGI though. Why do people not do research before looking like idiots?
>>
>>87476800
i hated that they felt they needed not will and not elizabeth. just have a pirates movie with pirates, the non pirates have drug down every one of these movies. that dude who played salazar did a good job though
>>
>>87479013
>"We found a young actor who looked similar, not quite like Johnny, and was a pretty good actor,” Bruckheimer told the group. “You take Johnny through the same scene [that De La Torre filmed], and then you kind of mesh them together. A company called Lola does this."
>>
Watched it a few days ago. Story was meh. Hated Jack Sparrow, but liked the tributes part when he first became captain.
>>
>>87476800
Definitely not better than the third but it was a big improvement over On Stranger Tides.
>>
The chick they added was atrocious. You could remove her completely and the plot wouldn't change at all, the only scene that would need major re-writing is at the very end.
Aside from her is was acceptable.. ish. The script sucked, some of the performances saved it. Geoffrey Rush was on his A-game, but he's always on his A-game.
>>
Are any of these movies worth watching? If so, when do i stop?
>>
>>87480115

>>87479013 btfo
>>
I actually liked it.

1>5>4>2>3 fucking fight me
>>
>>87480846
First two are great. Third is okay. Fourth varies wildly depending on which characters it's focusing on, Geoffrey Rush chews the scenery raw and it's clear he's having a blast with his role and the fun is contagious, but when he's not involved the quality dips.
Likewise in the new one. Except Barbossa doesn't get as much screen time so there's less fun to be had.
>>
>>87476800
Am I the only one who liked the third one?
>>
>>87480986
3rd one is pure kino and the best in the series, I've no idea what people's issue with it is. Loved the whole expansion of the mythos and how grandiose and epic it was.
>>
>>87480986
I think it's great. I consider the first three Pirates movies to be just as good as Indiana Jones.
>>
>>87480965
>Geoffrey Rush
Seriously though, when is he ever not great in something?
>>
>>87480986
i like the third one too.
All Gore Verbinski trilogy was good imho.
Davy Jones was most BASED character in recent history tbqhwy senpai.
>>
>>87481036
The second best in the series for me, really loved the Davy Jones/Beckett part.
>>
>>87481036
Half the movie is spent focusing on Elizabeth being a shrill, annoying mary sue.
>>
Why do they keep making these without Gore Verbinski at the helm?
Fuck I love the first three movies so much and it's a shame this franchise is going to die because of shitty direction.
>>
>>87481036
>I've no idea what people's issue with it is
Its really bloated and is all over the place. The setpieces were fun but it never feels like a logical procession of the story. Also seems like they flush most of what they established in part 2 down the toilet in the opening act.
>>
>>87481069
>>87481095
The Verbinski movies were made the old fashioned way and it shows. They actually went out and filmed at remote Caribbean locations instead of just doing everything in a massive studio covered in green screens.
>>
>>87480986
I've always liked it too even though it's the weakest of the first three, it's kind of like Return of the Jedi with pirates if that makes any sense.
>>
>>87481142
The directing in the new one was passable, but the script itself was atrocious. Some of the scenes were great, the last one with Barbossa was fantastic. But it's competent movie making trying to shine from underneath an awful script. It's the opposite of Stranger Tides, which was just a shitty movie with a great script.
>>
>>87481188
but most of the original trilogy were just filmed on californian shores lol
>>
>>87476800
>be disney
>create jack adventure kino
>decide to make 2 part movie
>everyone is sick of will orlando and knightly
>decide to go back to jack kino
>decide to do it like 3year later
>implying hype will not dye, and fans will not re watch the previous works
>impossible a movie three years later flops, it must be jack is not kino anymore, orlando and knightly where the kino
>decide to film a movie 6 years later try to recreate orlando knightly kino + have them cameo it flops
>holy shit who would of guess
>>
>>87481298
That was only for the first one I think. They really stepped it up for 2 and 3.
>>
>>87476800

That film at least had like 2 or 3 genuinely good jokes and not that many bad ones, whereas shit movies like Guardians 2 are 95% cringe.
>>
How did On Stranger Tides cost $410 million to make?
It looked way cheaper than the previous movies and felt more like an episode of a tv series.
>>
>>87481142
>>87481219
The OG writers left after 4th one.
Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio also worked with Verbinski at The Lone Ranger
>>
>>87481318
None of them flopped but like this anon >>87481411 said, OST was insanely expensive for some reason.
>>
>>87481411
Actors. I'm not sure of the specific rules for whatever associations Depp and Co are in, but a lot of Actors unions require that an actor be given an increased salary for every subsequent appearance. It's what led to Kiefer Sutherland being used for Voice Acting in Metal Gear Solid V, the Voice Actors union mandated that for every subsequent Appearance the original VA had to have their pay increased by 26%. After 14 appearances, that became a whole lot of money To the point that hiring a B-list hollywood guy was cheaper.
>>
>>87481585
What you're talking about is called "scale". A giant movie star like Johnny Depp is way above that kind of stuff. His salary and back end points are negotiated by his agent.
>>
>>87481501
flopped in quality to me man fuck your jew numbers

worst part of stranger tide is where are back to Orlando and knightly shit for 2 movies. Mother fucker why can they not just do jack kino. The franchise is dead when jack is dead, they "killed" barbosa
>>
>>87481651
What about everyone else though? The midget crewmember has been in every movie, so have the two former navy lackeys. How much are they getting? Sure, Depp might get substantially more individually, but these movies have like 30+ recurring extras.
>>
>>87481685
Next time word your post better, anon. How did you think people would interpret the word "flopped"?
>>
>>87476800
I agree. It's a solid 6/10.
>>
File: mermaid.jpg (22KB, 610x325px) Image search: [Google]
mermaid.jpg
22KB, 610x325px
>>
>>87481708
Sorry for being a stickler for terms but an extra is just a background person getting minimum wage. Those guys are in recurring supporting roles that they had to audition for. But yeah, they certainly got paid more for their subsequent appearances.
>>
>>87481759
So did she eat the priest or not?
>>
>>87478066
WHERE DID IT EVEN COME FROM
>>
>>87481759
>tfw no qt partly evil mermaid gf
I didn't like most of the movie but damn she was one of the few characters I almost went waifufag for
>>
Except it was great, and the "Sparrow" scene was an excellent origin. The reveal that him prattling about tribute was a reference to when his whole outfit is made up out of gratitude tribute from a whole ship that he saved was absolute kino
>>
>>87481874
yeah what happened to that storyline?
>>
>>87477211
3rd had its share of problems but at least for me personally the entire Pearl vs Dutchman fight in the maelstrom saves it.

Still the 5th movie was much better than 4.
>dat feel when the implications of Cottons Parrot in the bottle in the 4th movie likely ment the entire crew starved to death/ate each other then starved to death in the 5 years between PoTC 4 and 5.

Also was shitty just how fast the Queen Annes Revenge and Blackbeard/Barbossas magic sword was removed from the picture.
>>
>>87480986
I love it, and it has the most rewatch value, but that's because it is ludicrously packed to the brim with plot, and it's genuinely hard to catch everything on your first or second viewing. It's probably not a good film, but it was so much fun to pick up on all the nuances in later viewings that I can't help but forgive it.
>>
>>87480986
It was atrocious
>muh worldwide Pirate organisation with hierarchies
>Chinese ninja pirates omg so kewl!
>Jack is actually super important and not just some random pirate
>Davy Jones and the Kraken teaming up with the British Empire casually
Absolute mess of a story which completely fails to understand why the first two were so good
>>
>>87482342
>and the Kraken

wat
>>
>>87482376
Kraken was Davy Jones pet but he couldn't control it so much as summon it and just let it loose, so Becket forced Davy to kill it
>>
>>87480986
It killed the kraken off for no reason
It was a convoluted mess
Way, way too much magic. Pearl had no magic beyond the treasure, dead man doubled the magical stuff and then in tides there's so much magic bullshit that I just don't give a fuck about the story since magical bullshit will save the day.
The beckett scene was amazing though.
>>
>>87482581
I still liked all the magic in the third one, since none of it was predictable or controllable. Releasing Calypso, for example, just created a fucking whirlpool instead of actively helping the pirates.
>>
>>87482447
How did it die anyways?
I was kind of hoping it would show up during the final battle to attack the british ships.
>>
I see a lot of confusion ITT so i might as well enlighten you with the truth

3>1>5>2>4
>>
>>87482765
1 > 2 > 3 >>> 4 >>>>>> 5
>>
>>87482756
Never stated, we just know Davy Jones killed it
>>
>>87482814
Three is better than two. Does two have even a single truly memorable scene?
>>
>>87482756
>>87482824
Beckett forced Davy Jones to make it climb on to the dry shore.
>>
>>87482914
That's a fair headcanon, but there's no real evidence to back it up
>>
>>87482837
The threeway fight is legit great
>>
File: davyjones.jpg (112KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
davyjones.jpg
112KB, 1680x1050px
>>87482837
Do you fear death?
>>
>>87482756
best guess is the Dutchman pulled up beside it underwater and opened fire with all its cannons.

5 was decent but the thing is /tv/ shitposting threads came up with more fun plot of the movie than what the studio came up with.

Thing I remember most is the whole idea of
>Silent Mary whipping the Queen Annes Revenge and any other ships asses
>Jack gets the trident
>uses it to make all the ships trapped in the bottles back to full size
>turns into a clusterfuck as Barbossa starts controlling all of them with his sword to beat back Salazar while Jack and co get on the Pearl
>Turner and the Flying Dutchman pops up towards the end to finish off Salazar and crew and take them to the afterlife they deserve (heaven, hell, purgatory, the Locker, etc)
>>
>>87482956
Alright, fair enough, that's a good line. Three's got a lot more than that, though, between Beckett's death, the battle in the whirlpool, and the genuine complexity caused by every main character having a different set of goals they were clearly pursuing.
>>
>>87482837
Releasing the Kraken?
>>
I was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed the new one. It was much more fun than the fourth which was a drag.

1 = 2 > 3 > 5 > 4
>>
>>87483008
don't you ever bring up the fucking whirpool scene. The final 20 minutes of the 3rd movie were such a fucking abortion.
>>
>>87482931
They literally show the body in the movie.
>>
>>87483116
Yes, but that doesn't mean it was forced to crawl up onto shore. Giant Squid wash up on land sometimes when they die, it's not that uncommon.
>>
>>87480935
this
>>
>All the opening scenes
>Muh pirate lore
>Intricate enough plot
>Actually interesting characters
>The whirlpool scene despite what this abysmal faggot says >>87483081
>This scene https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_54IUIv97nI

3 was the best out of them all. It's a shame they actually renounced building a better cinematic universe just because it was a bit too long and normies didn't like it.
>>
>>87483170
Fair point
>>
>>87483333
The first is still the best. Its charm was a fluke, and that level of pure wondrous adventure was never reached again.
>>
>>87482975
I wonder some times how ideas that seem so simple but so satisfying, such as this, are neglected over shit that actually makes the final cut
>>
>>87476842
>watch a movie in a series that is insanely good
>being disappointed by a later entry is your fault because you hoped for the quality present in earlier titles

wow i feel so enlightened. everything is my fault always and i need to throw money at whatever I'm expected to
>>
>>87483333
Why didn't they fire their cannons?
>>
>>87483420
I enjoy 3 the most if I'm drunk. 1 is the best movie and endlessly re-watchable. The characters are at their absolute peak there.
>>
>>87483493
They wouldn't have had time to evacuate, and there was no way the ship was going to survive even if they did
>>
>YAG SPARLOWL!
>>
>>87483420
I can understand this opinion only because 3 was objectively too ambitious
>>87483493
It's a scene women and faggots would never understand
>>
Don't forget the Calypso and Davy Jones relationship it was great.
it was original and tragic
>burried his heart
>1 day on shore after 10 years
>betrayal
>>
>>87483531
It's amazing how they managed to make Salazar less intimidating when hes a Ash Ghost compared to when hes alive.
>>
>>87483674
>>87483531
He sounded like a fucking idiot. I couldn't tell if he was supposed to be funny
His introductory scene was fucking shit

Easily worst antagonist in the entire series
>>
>>87483615
provided the 6th movie does get made I fully expect Calypso to be the final villain of the series

>trident gets broke and all curses of the sea stop working
>Jack the monkey is still a undead monkey
>Aztec curses >>>>sea curses
>>
>>87483715
>"Will you do that for me?"
>Cheeky fucking grin
Remove this and the movie would jump from a 0.5 to a 1 in my book.
>>
>>87482975
The ending what was pissed me off since Salazar becoming human again was never stated to be an option, it really fucked up the character
>>
>>87484319
Also, remember when he randomly possessed Henry somehow without any explanation of how or pre-establishment that he had this ability?
>>
>>87476800
I felt it was better than the 4th until Barbossa died like a bitch it didn't help that certain characters advertised in the film barely showed up and did nothing even then.
>>
>>87477211
3rd one at least had Davy Jones and Beckett, and a Barbossa who didn't fill out the background then die for no reason. Also the timeline makes zero sense.
>>
>>87484612
yeah, that was very half-assed send off to such great character
>>
>>87482581
Kraken's great but too OP, it's bad enough that most pirate villians were immortal.
>>
>>87476800
2>1>3>5>4
>>
>>87484816
They could have introduced whatever reason Davy Jones has for not just wrecking everybody with the Kraken, but three was already convoluted enough, so it didn't need it
>>
the worst part about the new movie was how salazars curse or the cave or the compass or anythign was never explained, they just magically connected for no reason
>>
>>87480935
I liked it, but I still think they should have stopped at 3.

My order is
2>1>3>5>>>>4
>>
>>87484709
He'll be back if for no other reason than Disney knows full well Johnny Depp can't carry a PoTC movie by himself.

Geofforey Rush meanwhile works wonders with everyone they put him on screen with.
>>
>>87481708
>The midget crewmember has been in every movie, so have the two former navy lackeys. How much are they getting? Sure, Depp might get substantially more individually, but these movies have like 30+ recurring extras.

They weren't in On Stranger Tides and the British guys skipped Dead Man's Chest.

That's why On Stranger Tides had the scene of Barbossa telling a story about why all the supporting Pirates that aren't Gibbs didn't come back.

Between that, the "Let's destroy Sao Feng's map so we don't have to draw new artwork for it even though the whole point of this prop is to be a cool visual device to find weird supernatural places in all potential sequels" part and Blackbeard's Voodoo Zombies having such a bland makeup job that you have to be told that they're zombies, On Stranger Tides just came off as a cheap piece of shit that spent all its money on Depp.
>>
>ALL THE MAGIC ON ALL THE SEAS IS CONNECTED TO THIS ONE ARTIFACT THAT WE JUST HAPPENED TO HAVE A WAY TO FIND

Yeah okay
>>
>>87476800

It wasn't better than the third, are you dumb?

Not that the third was all that great, but it was still leagues better than this trash.

Fourth and fifth are exactly the same; pure fucking garbage.
Thread posts: 118
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.