[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do many of you hate American Sniper? There is no propaganda

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

File: 1200x630bb (2).jpg (39KB, 420x630px) Image search: [Google]
1200x630bb (2).jpg
39KB, 420x630px
Why do many of you hate American Sniper? There is no propaganda on it. It's just a story of a man that goes to war for a cause he believes it's right, suffers from PTSD afterwards, and manages to defeat his own demons in a corageous way. America is not the main issue of the film. Chris Kyle, a man, is. Bradley Cooper does a solid performance and Clint doesn't disappoint, as usual.

Why all the hate?
>>
>>87456061
no way he killed the jordanian sniper
>>
>>87456152
He was Syrian, you racist motherfucker
>>
compared to saving private ryan, das boot, the thin red line, full metal jacket, it is shit.

you have to realistically portray war for it to be a good war movie.
>>
Creepy rubber baby.

Also they could have made an honest biopic about Kyle, including both his service, his legal troubles and his penchant for...let's say...exaggeration.

But instead they went for the standard "noble sacrifice" military movie.
>>
>There is no propaganda on it
>
>>
>>87456061
>only people who die in this movie are shitskins who think raping children is acceptable because muh quran
If this movie triggers you, then you must be one of those idiots who held up signs saying 'Welcome Refugees' when Merkel opened the floodgates.
>>
File: cry cry.jpg (187KB, 960x918px)
cry cry.jpg
187KB, 960x918px
Most of 4chan is shitskin and butthurt about US/Israel
>>
>>87456429
What are you talking about? Like two of his SEAL buddies died. And plenty of other random soldiers.
>>
>>87456061
I wanted to like it. It did glorify him too much. He was just one guy, one of many snipers, and there was alot of guys there risking just as much and being just as courageous who dont have movies about them and that because they didnt come home and write books about how heroic they are.

My dad was in Vietnam, and both my grandfathers were in WWII. They will talk about what they did in the VFW, or to each other, but they will never saw a word of what happened to me or my brother. We only get details we can get from my mom about things that happens in my dads nightmares that come and go, or conversations she overheard hears ago. So I guess it just seems alien, ridiculous, and somewhat un-American that this guy comes back and writes a book about his adventures and killing people and then gets a movie made about himself.
>>
>>87456892
Part 2:
It seemed celebratory and uncritical. I'm not saying that it should have been critical of the war. I'm saying it should have been critical of the way he portrayed himself. Because there's a stark difference between him and soldiers who came home from past wars. I think Clint had good intentions but to the rest of the world it looks like bloodthirsty propaganda. Maybe its fitting tribute to a man who felt the need to brag about how many he killed. I cant imagine my father ir grandfathers ever gloating about having to blow people away or.making money from those stories. Maybe Clint was being ironic. I dont know. It just paint a realistic picture of the man, the war, or the society. It didn't even have a strong philosophical bend in it to even claim a spot as propaganda for anything. It was just as overblown and self serving as they guy it was about. I think the other guys without books and movies who served, and our society deserved better. We deserve to appreciate the sacrifice of everyone without glorifying any one individual over the others, and without glorifying the war. We can be supportive of those who served and cast the war and the societies involved in a nuanced and accurate light. We can look in the mirror and see ourselves, our history, and our wars, and our heroes without spiffing them up and romanticizing them and we can still be proud of all of it, out society, our wars, and our heroes.
>>
File: IMG_0375.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0375.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>87456061
He claimed to be more than he was, not that he wasn't accomplished enough. Not exactly rare among career service-members overall, making themselves into legends.

He was the stereotypical West-Coast SEAL/WC Marine, with Hollywood ideas of grandeur.

SEALs only justify the joke they are as "silent professionals" by every other SEAL misrepresenting/overselling their individual service in a tell-all book.

I have a Purple Heart, and my tour was not exactly boring, but I'll never talk about it in more than anon-boards, or seek greater financial reward through publication.
>>
>>87457247
This. The guy was a bit of a braggart and by all accounts of his persona and the things he wrote about himself made him seem like a tool 2bh whereas in the film, they portrayed him as some troubled, silent cowboy-type, which makes sense considering Eastwood directed.
>>
>>87456061
>There is no propaganda on it

Only if they changed his named from "Chris Kyle" to "Generic Navy SEAL".

The propaganda comes in when you make up stories and paint a disingenuous picture of a real person.
>>
>>87456061
I hate it for it's poor filmmaking. It plays like a stupid highlight reel than a proper picture. Clint is old and so is Mel. They cater to the lowest common denominator of the right wing.
>>
>>87457247
>getting a participation trophy
>>
>>87457247

While he certainly claimed more than he was, I see nothing wrong with people telling their story. I for one find them very interesting. The thought of me even making it through day one in BUD/S for example is ridiculous, these guys went through that and ten times worse, it's interesting.
>>
>He went to war

>He saw and did some shit

>He came home and felt bad about it

Boy I've never seen his military movie before

Its not terrible just really generic
>>
>>87456296
came here to post this. that cheep rubber piece of shit is a giant "fuck you" to the audience in a big budget film. it's says "fuck you, you'll watch it. I don't even have to try"
>>
>>87458044
Mel aint that old and he really can make kino when he wants
>>
>>87458589
>Mel aint that old
He ain't no spring chicken either.
>>
>>87456892
>>87456936
Pretty much this and top of people disproving his book when he was alive.
>Shooting looters at Katrina, turns out he was never there
>Fucked up Jesse Ventura at a bar, Ventura said he said hi and that was the end of their interaction
I been to that bar and their cheese fries are pretty good.
>"Killed" two dudes who tried to rob him, yeah dude totally happened you got off scott free
How are people supposed to take the book/movie seriously if we know some of it is straight up bullshit.

>>87457247
Anon pls meet me at McP's so I can hear your stories.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.