[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some horror movies that are actually good movies? Good

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 8

What are some horror movies that are actually good movies? Good acting, cinematography, interesting story that would hold your attention even if it didn't scare you, but it actually does.

Semi-related as it's a fun horror movie if not that scary. My granddad showed it to me when I was eight years old and it was my favorite movie for years after that.
>>
File: creep.jpg (9KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
creep.jpg
9KB, 197x256px
>>
File: manas.jpg (174KB, 736x1092px) Image search: [Google]
manas.jpg
174KB, 736x1092px
>>87380168
This will change your life for sure
>>
>>87379259
The Fly
Alien
The Thing
The Shining
It always comes down to the same few flicks.
Horror movies that hardly even count as movies are a fairly recent phenomenon.
>>
File: image.gif (3MB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
image.gif
3MB, 800x600px
how you feel about jump scares in horror?
>>
>>87379259
>even if it didn't scare you,
Bitch poltergeist 1 and 2 traumatized the shit out of me as a kid.
When coach pukes up the demon tequila worm it made me terrified of puke for years.
>>
>>87382235
usually cheap and unsatisfying I know it can be done OK but I guess subtlety is something they lack?
>>
>>87382235

Jump scares are terror and not horror. They have their place in horror movies but shouldn't define them. Otherwise they aren't horror movies.
>>
If you're looking for something recent, A Dark Song is fucking amazing.
>>
>>87379259
The Conjuring and Insidious are two fairly recent ones. James Wan is a competent director and both have a good cast of character actors.
>>
Psycho
Night of the living dead
The exorcist
The shining
Alien
The thing
Babadook
The vvitch
The conjuring
>>
The Wailing
El Orfanato
Session 9
Candyman
The Mothman Prophecies
The Others
>>
>>87385090
Great list.
>>
>>87384870
I was really hyped for this movie but it didn't screen anywhere near me. I am no joke in the process of downloading it right now, I saw it was on freeleech. Can't wait.
>>
>>87380168
trash
>>87380221
good
>>87380375
all great. I would also add in The Fly from the 50's which is a slightly superior film than the Cronenberg version.
>>87385090
Yeah you were doing good until you brought up Babadook. That garbage doesn't belong in the same fucking sentence as The Thing or The Shining, let alone a list of good horror films.
>>87385287
Only really good one here is Candyman
>>
File: bait.png (146KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
bait.png
146KB, 625x626px
>>87385090
>the babadook
>the witch
>>
>>87379259

A lot of them. Do you not know horror?

>The Innocents
>Evil Dead II
>Bride of Frankenstein
>Night of the Hunter
>Repulsion
>The Haunting
>Suspiria
>Scream
>>
>The Innocents
meh
>Evil Dead II
What is wrong with you? The first one is far superior and is the more creepy and suspenseful film. The second one was basically they rehashing the first one but adding retarded slapstick.
>Bride of Frankenstein
The trilogy are all great films
>Night of the Hunter
good movie
>Repulsion
The Tenant is better but all three apartment trilogy films are good.
>The Haunting
Assuming that you are referring to the good one
>Suspiria
Great flick with awesome visuals, but I don't think it's a good film on a technical level.
>Scream
Trash. It just tries to make fun of the formula while still using it. Bland killer, characters, and story.
>>
>>87388328
>>87389531
>hating on the Babadook
>hating on the Witch
this is how you spot the brainlets with pleb taste
>>
File: babashit.jpg (35KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
babashit.jpg
35KB, 500x500px
>>87389867
found the underage normie.

Take your shitty movies elsewhere.

Nothing personal, kiddo.
>>
Top this film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wRNX94fU94
>>
>>87389800

>The Innocents
>Meh

Look, I can see why you'd dislike Scream. That's fine. I think it's a masterpiece of the slasher genre and one of the few great horror films of the 90's. But look here, The Innocents started plenty tropes we see today in films like The Conjuring. Don't ever say 'meh' again about the GOAT again, my man.

The Scream characters make fun of the slasher cliches and make the same mistakes because it's a satire, by the way.

As far as Evil Dead goes, I think the original has no memorable dialogue and very bland acting. My argument is that 2 is more memorable, better directed and the acting is superior. I appreciate the rawness of the original, but it's just a bit too hammy. I saw a screening recently and the audience just laughed at it.
>>
>>87389949
One of the very few horror films that can be classified as cinema. Not a single jumpscare either.
>>
>>87389969
>I think the original has no memorable dialogue and very bland acting. My argument is that 2 is more memorable, better directed and the acting is superior.
That's because they were playing it straight in the original since it is a horror film. The only reason why anyone remembers the dialogue in the second film is because of the one liners. They were actually trying to lighten up the film unlike the original. I don't think a bunch of silly one liners makes a film better That just seems like a personal preference and not one I agree with. As far as better directing goes. It's a more polished film since they actually had experience and a decent budget to work with this time. The cheap grittiness of the original is what makes it a fantastic movie. As far as people laughing at the screening goes.. People now see the franchise as a comedy more so than what it originally was because of ED2 and AOD which blinds people into thinking the first movie is funny. It does have some corny moments like most horror films have intentional or not, but I do think the main reason is because fans are alienated.
>>
>>87380221
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacob's_Ladder_(2017_film)
>>
>>87385024
Literal Hollywood "blumhouse" trash. Can't believe no one's said silence of the lambs a perfect 10 suspense horror
>>
>>87389867
Babadookie is gay tho
>>
>>87390532
you probably haven't even seen them if you associate them with the average blumhouse movie
>>
>>87390532
SotL is a great horror film but it's honestly not that scary. The end scene with Buffalo Bill is the only real suspenseful part of the movie. Even Hannibal Lecture is not really someone who adds suspense even though he is a great character,
>>
File: Cure 1997.jpg (378KB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Cure 1997.jpg
378KB, 960x1440px
This is literally the best horror ever made.

PRO TIP: DONT WATCH TRAILER OR READ DESCRIPTION
>>
>>87390623
Nah get your weeb shit out of hero. The only ones welcomed here are Hasu, Kuroneko, and Onibaba.
>>
>>87390585
Incidious had to use face paint due to Blum jewing the producer x10 look it up
>>
>>87390699
t. Utter pleb
>>
>>87390739
>How dare u say something negative about my fav moovee u pleb
>>
>>87390790
>no constructive critics just calls it weeb
>posts entry level jap art horror
Okay then
>>
>>87390919
and calling someone a pleb is clearly constructive criticism. Makes sense.

Last I checked, no one asked for reasons for any remarks. If you want to be a crybaby about it, Go back to reddshit
>>
>>87391684
why reply in the first place? cunt
>>
>>87391684
How can I criticize a non-statement like:
>Nah get your weeb shit out of hero. The only ones welcomed here are Hasu, Kuroneko, and Onibaba.
SYM PUSSYCLART.
Cure is most definiety not reddit, and I am certain I've been here longer than you
>>
>>87391784
>I am certain I've been here longer than you
mods.
>>
>>87379259
Recently some horror movies started appearing on S&S best of the year lists. It Babadook, It Follows, The Witch and Raw all achieved mainstream success among the critics.
>>
>>87391845
Too bad they're terrible horror films.

It Follows and Badadook especially. It amazes me how something I see as bottom of the barrel bad can seem good to other folks. I would be rich if I were to count all the problems they have. What happened to the days when horror films were creative instead of "oh no that naked person is slowly walking towards me". It's truly disgusting. Good films still come out like Crimson Peak which I thought was a decent ghost story aside from the excessive amounts of CGI. They can still be made but I feel most of the films that get the most coverage and hype turn out to be awful.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.