[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Japan's government really this incompetent? From my

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

File: 300px-SG_-_Godzilla_3rd_Form_wz.png (166KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
300px-SG_-_Godzilla_3rd_Form_wz.png
166KB, 300x300px
Is Japan's government really this incompetent?

From my understanding, pic related is supposed to be an angry reflection of how the Japanese government and prime minister handled the earthquake and fukushima disaster. All i know is that they told the public there was 'some damage at the core' or something, when there was a core meltdown. What really happened?

Anyways, they made them look pretty stupid.

>clear to shoot godzilla
>OH NO TWO PEOPLE ARE IN THE WAY. CALL OFF THE ATTACK
>WHAT DO WE DOOOOO
>>
File: just robots.jpg (15KB, 272x154px) Image search: [Google]
just robots.jpg
15KB, 272x154px
>>
>>87340869
Are you understanding that it's a fictional movie?
>>
>>87340869
the fuck are you talking about ? im pretty sure japs invented godzilla after world war 2
>>
>>87340869
I think it is more complicated than that, but yeah I agree for the most part. In the scenario you mentioned, I don't necessarily believe they made a wrong decision in hindsight, as Godzilla probably would have survived and evolved a bit sooner. I think it is just highlighting how politicians might make decisions just to achieve good optics rather than owning up to stuff and making hard decisions, which the MC mentions at the end.
I think the film takes a swing at politicking in general, and provides some allegory specific to Japan's lack of planning for disasters, the neutering of Japan's military and government powers by foreign nations, and obviously nuclear weapons.
>>
>>87341719
as an allegory for real events
>>
>>87340869
Yeah japs think saving face is more important so they played down the disaster and still are. The movie is saying that japan wants to be a big boy country, but can't handle big boy events and that this is all arrogance and hubris.
>>
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Shin Godzilla. The symbolism is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of Japanese anthropology most of the dialogue will go over a typical viewer's head. There's also Godzilla's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Takemura Sessyu literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these visuals, to realise that they're not just awesome - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Shin Godzilla truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the depth in Godzilla's existential catchphrase "Skreooooooooongk," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Anno's genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them.
>>
>>87340869

Japan has always been a country where fear of disgrace has led to piss poor decision making.

Did you know that the pacific war started because nobody in the japanese military staff dared to suggest the obvious: That Japan was no match for America in any way, shape or form?
>>
>>87342531
If the american carriers had been at pearl harbor and the japanese hadnt got memed at midway they would have 'won' (not an unconditional victory of course)
Japanese naval combined arms tactics were absolutely next level
>>
>>87342520
Kek
>>
>>87342779

Fucking bullshit.

If the american carriers had been at Midway it would have been a temporary setback. Compare the amount of industrial output between the US and Japan. Japan stood absolutely no chance.

In regards to Midway, it was "a good idea" but the war was already lost and Yamamoto knew it. The moment the carriers weren't destroyed at Hawaii he knew for sure that they were in for the long haul. Compare the oil output of Japan to the US during the war. There's just no way.

Also tactics do not win wars. Strategy and logistics win wars. And Japan was horrible at both. Prior to Pearl Harbor the Japanese naval staff wargamed the scenario fozens of times and even simulated the exact scenario which would then come to play out. Their deduction? "This couldn't possibly happen, let's just ignore the results".

The Japanese were fucking idiots.
>>
File: yaguchi.jpg (520KB, 1280x2894px) Image search: [Google]
yaguchi.jpg
520KB, 1280x2894px
>>
File: 1504483168557.jpg (162KB, 1600x1203px) Image search: [Google]
1504483168557.jpg
162KB, 1600x1203px
Fukushima is the most exaggerated disaster, possibly, ever.
>>
File: 2x4prkgqko5y.gif (498KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
2x4prkgqko5y.gif
498KB, 500x368px
>>87342936
This is kind of bullshit, because the Japanese were not incompetent and "over optimistic".

They were aware that the US was a sleeping giant that would fucking WRECK Japan by fully utilizing its industry.

THAT is why they carried out Pearl Harbor. The US navy was believed to be mostly stationed there. Unfortunately for them, they got unlucky, as much of the navy was unusually out doing something else.

The plan was to disable the US to ensure safe colonial expansion in Asia. Also, they weren't aware of nuclear bombs, of course.

Don't trust dumb, reductionist directors over historians.
>>
>>87343060
Okay then>>>/his/
>>
>>87341719
This is the stupidest post Ive ever read
>>
>>87343060
You are more annoying than Godzilla
>>
>>87340869
>backups generators were same place as generators
>nuclear facilities on faultlines
>inspections were phone calls where inspectors just asked if everything was up to code
It was bad.
>>
>>87343060
nice gif fag
>>
>>87343060

>They were aware that the US was a sleeping giant that would fucking WRECK Japan by fully utilizing its industry.
No, they weren't. A few shunned naval admirals were.

>THAT is why they carried out Pearl Harbor. The US navy was believed to be mostly stationed there. Unfortunately for them, they got unlucky, as much of the navy was unusually out doing something else.
They didn't get unlucky. They got a perfectly reasonable outcome to a rather drastic and extremely risky mission. They hinged the outcome of the entire war to come on one single mission, and a mission that they had a pretty poor chance of succeeding with in the first place. How is that "unlucky"?

Besides, there are way too many direct oversights to deem the japanese command to be anything other than incompetent. They didn't protect their oil transports of supply convoys, leading to incredible losses - which in turn hampered every part of their military strategy. Did they learn from this? No. In 1944 only around 15% of their oil convoys actually reached their destination. In 1945, 0% did.

They didn't recoved downed airplane pilots, leading to an enormous drain on experienced flyers as soon as the war started.
>>
Is Shin Godzilla too Japanese for non-Japanese audience
>>
>>87342531
also because the central government barely had any control over the military, and the high command only had tenuous control over their officers in the field
>>
>>87342520
pasta when? they could even add stretching godzilla legs when they went for a walk
>>
Anno is a fucking genius
>>
>>87342520
>Takemura Sessyu
>>
>>87341719
>>87340869
It's based directly on the Japanese government's mishandling of the Fukushima incident.
>>
>>87342531
>Did you know that the pacific war started because nobody in the japanese military staff dared to suggest the obvious: That Japan was no match for America in any way, shape or form?

This. I spent near a decade in japan and people is too afraid to broke hierarchy. Thats the reason of why japan become stale over the years. There is a lot of mediocre people in every work, they didnt get high ranks on bussines becuse they are good, but because they are the typical yes-man.
>>
It's Japan in general. From small businesses to government agencies, bureaucracy is the universal stop sign for their culture. You always need permission from someone higher than you and majority of the time, arbitrary paperwork prevents thjngs from happening. Leave it to a country that still uses fax machines for fear of data being "hacked" through e-mail to not get anything done.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.