[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What did I just watch? I feel like I'm missing something.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 5

File: 00000 what did i just watch.jpg (31KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
00000 what did i just watch.jpg
31KB, 640x360px
What did I just watch? I feel like I'm missing something. The movie feels incredibly incomplete. What was the point of the movie exactly?
>>
>>87332452
How to waste 2 hours of your life: the movie. Now don't you feel enlightened and thought provoked?
>>
>>87332452
i watched this the other day for the first time and agree, the movie just sort of ended.
>>
itt: brainlets
>>
Whether or not this is bait, there is going to be a whole gaggle of ackchyuallies coming in to tell you that this movie is deep. It's not. It's mostly boring. The scenes with the autismo are the best. Everything with Tommy Lee Jones grinds to a halt. You barely get to know any of the characters except for the autismo and he's essentially the grim reaper. The Coens made so many much better movies.
>>
There were like, no explosions in this movie???
>>
You're missing a brain
>>
File: 1494466041733.png (254KB, 472x410px) Image search: [Google]
1494466041733.png
254KB, 472x410px
Literally a 2 hour Rick and Morty episode for people in community college philosophy classes
>>
>>87333837
More like "why did the main character die off screen to some nobodies and why didnt the main plot point get resolved?"
>>
>>87332452
The climax of the movie happens off-screen because that's sophisticated, I guess. The more unsatisfied, frustrated, and bored you are by movies, the more "highbrow" they are.
>>
well i certainly didn't leave the movie feeling incomplete, it's weird that you would watch 2 hours of ridiculously masterful filmcraft and then somehow feel shortchanged because it wasn't wrapped in some sort of aesopian moral

but if you want to speculate on what the movie is saying, i think the monologue at the end makes it pretty clear:
>And in the dream I knew that he was goin’ on ahead and he was fixin’ to make a fire somewhere out there in all that dark and all that cold.
>And I knew that whenever I got there, he’d be there.
>And then I woke up.
ie there is nobody waiting ahead with a warming fire, there is just cold and dark.
there's no heroic death for the protagonist, despite all his struggles he's eventually just dispatched offscreen; at this point even chigurh has become just a banal aspect of some sort of "this is the world we live in" dismal worldview
>>
>>87332452

Cos like the sheriff guy didnt have the balls to waste this creep earlier on because he thought he might be in the building and then got all sad that the criminal mind is evolving and stuff you get me bruv
>>
The movie felt like I was shopping at Sneeds
>>
I'd like to hear someone who fellates this movie counter any of these points or make some of their own, but I think those people all secretly hate it and are trolling, or they're too proud to admit that they're pseudointellectuals who can't argue for something they claim to like. Anyway:

>Brolin is barely a character, the only thing we learn about him is he's a risk-taker and a simple guy with a simple plan (by the way, A Simple Plan is a way better movie)
>Bardem is the best part of the movie and that's only because when he's around, the tension is kept high becaues he's a wild card and nobody is safe
>Woody Harrelson's character does fuck all and it's asinine how Bardem just finds him instantly and Woody doesn't even try to escape knowing what's coming
>Jones is a boring character whose archetype was done better in the movie Misery by Richard Farnsworth--who you cared about more as a character
>That 2deep4u ending is lame, the message that "times are changing" is in this movie is boring because the character who delivers it is boring and you don't care about them
>Bardem getting t-boned at the end is a nice detail but it's hardly profound, Jones could've stepped into frame and said "Life comes at you fast..." and proceeded with a Nationwide commercial and it would be only slightly less deep
>>
>>87334047
So, what should have happened?
The movie clearly establishes Chigurh as a killer.
He says he's going to make good on his word.
Was the wife supposed to have a shootout or something?
Why would they have shown that at all?
Why does it bother you that they didn't show what you knew was going to happen?
What would you have rather seen?
The fucking drug deal money shit was a backdrop for the old cop, who had no place anymore.
It's a pretty straightforward movie with relatively little stylistic flair, which certainly isn't for everyone.
If you don't like that what exactly do you like?
>>
>>87332452
All Joel and Ethan Coen movies end prematurly
>>
>>87332452
I think it helps if you know the tittle is a reference to Sailing to Byzantium.
>>
>>87334047
Yeah it's part of the new art movement designed to train people to accept randomness and lack of fulfillment.
It's really high-brow to be fans of lack of resolution and mediocrity after great promise.
See also: Twin Peaks and The Twentieth Century in general.
>>
>>87334129
>ie there is nobody waiting ahead with a warming fire, there is just cold and dark.
How profound.
Humanity created art in order to provide such bold and inspiring pieces of anti-life.
>>
>>87334226
>A Simple Plan is a way better movie

Lol, it was decent a notch below NCFOM though
>>
>>87334226
Chigurh getting t-boned in the end wasn't profound at all, and that was the point. He is no harbinger of death, he is not immune to capture or defeat. He's just some some fucking weirdo.
>>
It's the cool thing on /tv/ to pretend that this movie isn't exciting even though 80% of it is the chase. Somehow, because the other 20% is exposition, this makes the film boring and """highbrow"""
>>
>>87334009
The point is to not give you a big shoot out. They're trying to break the western mold or some shit like that
>>
>>87334489
Yes, and that point--that he is just some fucking weirdo not immune to harm--is what he's saying is not profound. Nice skim job.
>>
i liked this movie. i liked that the main character was scared and despite all of his tracking, hunting and street smarts he and his wife get killed by the villain who was seemingly unstoppable until the very end.
>>
>>87334432
So are you upset because it has a dark tone or what?
>>
>>87334660
I'm neither of those guys

Are you retarded? >>87334489's point is that the t-bone scene is not meant to be profound, so using "this scene is hardly profound" like >>87334226
is not an argument and pure retardation.

Don't say that people are skimming when you lack reading comprehension
>>
basically tommy was like "shit's so crazy and fucked up with the cartels now man"

and leeeweelllewlywelyn was like "i can be a little bit fucked up when it benefits me, like i can put my toe in the fucked up, but later i can go back to a comfortable, normal life"

and haircut man is like "i AM The Fucked Up"

but in the end they all get memed on

tommy's uncle tells him that shit's ALWAYS been this way, the civilization tommy thinks is unshakable is really just a patina floating underneath and between aeons of horrible shit, and the shit's gonna get horrible again real soon. tommy can't handle this and gives up.

lllleeewweeelllyllkyyweewyn was wrong, once he decided to enter fucked up shit, he was in that world for good. so he had a higher chance of getting capped in his day-to-day life than you or i, and even with his best laid plans on how to handle chigurh, there were threats he could never see coming or defend himself against.

chigurh thought he was some enigmatic badass who was ~*The Agent of Fate*~ or some shit, but really he inhabited the same random ass, indifferent universe as all the other characters, which means sometimes your ass gets T-boned no matter who you are.
>>
File: 1478144098588.jpg (210KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1478144098588.jpg
210KB, 1280x720px
>>87334009
They wherent nobodies. If you can look back and recall the few times we do see death in the film, who did it and why? Does it then make sense we dont see that death?
>>87334226
We learn plenty about him, from being in the war, to the way he loves his wife, to what hes willing to do to get out of the world he lives in. What he does is not smart but he is not smart.

Bardem is an amazing actor and the coens forsight to use him as the main antag was nothing short of genuis....i see no problem?

He is better fleshed in the book but in film seems to be used to help us better understand the situation from a corprate perspective and help display just how other-wordly chigur is.

Boring in what sense? He is our lead behind and moral center point to help us understand the old worlds view of the current and future. His opening monolouge about the young boy shows that hes behind and out of touch. The same was he always shows up to the crime scene, hes always too late.

Its not too deep for anything. Its an old man feeling out of his depth in a world that has no room for him. Symbolically its the simple man being pushed out by the complex and interconnected business to criminal world thats taking over.

What did you dislike about that sequence? I think showing that not even completely random acts of fate stop him is rather chilling. That even when god turns a blind eye this man walks away without blinking.
>>
>>87334829
He's saying it's profundity is that it's NOT profound. Like a hipster.
>>
>>87335065
I was saying thats why they included it in the film, as opposed to not.
>>
>>87334226
>I'd like to hear someone who fellates this movie counter any of these points or make some of their own

that would require actually reading the rest of your post which i'm not gonna do

no country for old men is a great film TAG NO BACKSIES
>>
>>87334432
some art's message is "there is nothing profound to say, isn't that a dreary thought?"

what's wrong with expressing that in some works of art? should all art express your personal philosophy? kinda selfish of you to impose that on everything you watch
>>
>>87334633
Why the fuck would they want to do that? They ruined the final act on their movie just so they could say they were different and original? Don't break the mold just for the sake of it, do it if you're gonna do something cool and surprising
>>
>/tv/ hates No memes for old men now
What happened?
>>
>>87333837
Are you forgetting the drug store?
>>
ITT: people who would defend a movie where a guy sits in a chair literally watches paint dry
>>
>>87335366
Probably a lot of false-flagging, and all the brainlets who think the point of the film is "LMAO nothing makes sense, nothing has meaning, so nihilistic, so deep" aren't helping either.
>>
File: 1492565456943.jpg (182KB, 882x586px) Image search: [Google]
1492565456943.jpg
182KB, 882x586px
>>87335366
A general change in moon and culture. Cross posting and the current state of the US make talking about past and future cultures difficult and awkward. The same reason people no longer like pic related.
>>87335496
Better then the sequel where he gets up and does something with his life. Why the fuck should I care what happens with his brother? And the sub-plot with that fucking gardener dude? How pleb can ya get?
>>
>>87334236
Pros
>The whole first act
>Sugar killing people with the silenced shotgun
>Game of cat and mouse
>Woody harrelson
>Border crossing scenes
>Action shootout in the street in the middle of the film
>Coin toss

Cons
>The whole final act
>Every scene with Tommy Lee Jones fucks the pacing
>Tracker is too poorly hidden to have gone undiscovered
>Protagonist is killed offscreen by literal whos
>Pointless """ambiguous""" ending
>Sugar stands behind a motel room door

Pretty simple
>>
>>87334854
dude gets it
>>
>>87334191
Huh, I thought it felt more like shopping at Chucks
>>
>>87334236
>what should have happened?
>what exactly do you like?
These questions make it pointless to address anything in your post. Have fun being a brainlet who thinks edgy shit is deep
>>
>>87334009
Llewelyn Moss isn't the main character you fucking retard.

I am so fucking tired of some retard discovering this movie and making the same thread every week. The same things get discussed every time. It is not a complicated movie at all
>>
>>87333792
Wow someone who makes sense on /tv/. You're right, a lot of it is boring especially the Tommy Lee Jones scenes. The one where he visits his uncle to talk is a prime example. And the ending is lame as fuck, there I said it.
>>
>>87336240
Your expectations were that of a standard rote crime thriller a la Ronin and you got something different that tries to say something about the world in which it takes place and now you're upset because it was too smart for you. There I said it.
>>
>>87334331
This. If you don't get it, read Yeat's poem. If you still don't get it, read the novel. If after that you still don't get it, you're a brainlet and there's no hope for you.
>>
>>87335366
It's just not the 10/10 masterpiece the redditors think it is.
>>
>>87336240
>these scenes were boring
>these scenes weren't
>wow another guy who says the same things are boring and not boring as me but also doesn't back up his reasoning YOU MUST BE SO SMART TOO JUST LIKE ME
>>
>>87333792
I agree with you entirely anon

>>87336306
I could take a shit on your carpet. That's unexpected too. It doesn't make it good.
>>
>>87336306
>I'm defensive about my preference for boring pseudointellectual movies over interesting ones
>>
>>87336401
So you WERE expecting a standard crime thriller like Ronin or The Italian Job. I'm glad this movie fucked you up the ass. Maybe now you'll think twice before trying to watch a good movie again and shitting all over it with your horrible opinions.
>>
>>87334226
The moral is not that times are changing, on the contrary, things were always shitty but we rarely find out because we hold thight to nostalgia and an idealized past.
>>
>>87336498
You're replying to two different people by the way. I'm >>87336240 , and no I wasn't expecting the Italian Job I was expecting a good Coen Bros movie that happened to be an action/western/neo-noir type, exactly what I had heard about it.

And that's what I got for the most part, I liked the movie. But to think the Tommy Lee Jones scenes were the weak parts is crazy huh? Really triggered you.
>>
>>87332654
Not until I come up with half baked theories and call myself a genius by proxy.
>>
>>87334009
explain to me how the main plot point wasnt resolved
>>
>>87336306
Nothing about no country for old men is smart though. You don't have to be a genius to work it out. So the film is intentionally unsatisfying, well then the Coens fucked up because you shouldn't sacrifice the quality of the film just to get your message across. Paths of glory, animal farm, lord of the flies, taxi driver, Apocalypse now, there's so many films that have more complex and deep themes and ideas than no country for old men but they still have proper endings and are enjoyable to watch so you don't get psudointellectuals telling people those films are too smart for them, even though they're a lot smarter than NCFOM
>>
>>87337000
It's funny you mentioned taxi driver because that movie also a spouse's similar themes of how the world is rotten to its core and unforgiving with a similarly unconventional execution. No Country for Old Men was absolutely satisfying in the same way that tax driver was. It is not a complex film I will give you that, but it doesn't need to be. The message of both those movies is so important and needs to be scene spite the fact that it may be a simple message.
>>
>>87336498
I wasn't expecting anything. I went into the movie without knowing what it was going to be about. It ended pretty weirdly without much closure on anything.
>>
>>87332452
>>87333642
Very normal feeling after watching it the first time, next time more will dawn on you. Coen brothers best movie.
>>
>>87336306
You're projecting. You're the one who was expecting a film like that. When you got something else it was refreshing to you and you thought it was deep and profound. But it's still not, friendo.
>>
>/tv/edditors think fucking no country for old men is slow and boring
Have any of you fuckers tried to sit through There Will Be Blood
>>
>>87337000
I'd say the message of NCFOM, while not necessarily more complex, is delivered in a more nuanced way than in those films you listed.
>>
>>87332452
life is incredibly incomplete
>>
>>87337000
There's plenty about it that is smart. The way it grounds its cat-and-mouse sequences in extraordinarily well detailed geographic reality is a very challenging thing for filmmakers to achieve...if you look at shittier films it is very hard to portray the same authentic level of detail. The movie grasps what it would be like to go through something like this in a more realistic, mundane way that lends an element of reality to Llewellyn's plight. It lets you connect with the moment to moment reality of what is happening on screen and makes you feel like you are there and it is real. That is smart filmmaking. There's a basic mastery of cinematic language here that you seem to be completely immune to.
>>
>>87337952
I completely agree with you, I don't have much of a way with words but you nailed it. It's some really great filmmaking from the Coens. But here's the thing, thats not what all these psuedointellectuals are spouting is so "smart" about the movie.

And for the record, I liked the movie and its themes and its undertones and all that. But to say it's 2deep4u is ridiculous.
>>
>>87335366
Faggot contrarians/10
>>
>>87333879
They sound like nice people
>>
>>87337346
It being 'slow and boring' had nothing to do with it. I love tarkovsky movies and have sat through the bridge on the river kwai half a dozen times. Movies being slow is irrelevant. No country for old men was just bad. You were sitting through the movie for essentially nothing. It was incomplete. It felt like I sat down and randomly watched season 3 of some BBC tv show without watching the previous seasons or watching the rest. It was pointless. not in any good or artistic way.

>>87337630
This is the only interesting related point
>>
>>87334432
Goes to show how absurd life can be.
>>
>>87332452
>What was the point of the movie exactly?
Old people have no place in the modern world

It's written in the movie's title, you dipshits millenials
>>
>>87340249
God, you're a brainlet.
>>
>>87340249
BAHHAHA
>>
>>87340249
Kek
>>
>>87340327
>t.reddit summerfag
>>
It feels incomplete because the main character, who we've seen dodge so many dillemas in the first 30 minutes of the film, just straight up dies
>>
>>87341020
>implying that Chigurh wasn't the main character
>>
>>87332452
>I feel like I'm missing something.
Yeah, you're missing a brain you fucking pleb. Stick to video games.
>>
>>87334283
This guy gets it.
>>
>>87334226
>the message that "times are changing" is in this movie
literally the opposite message is in the movie you utter fucking retard
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.