[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can a Cucknisher fan (a fan of The Punisher) explain how 3 different

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 13

File: punisher 1 2 3.jpg (57KB, 488x325px) Image search: [Google]
punisher 1 2 3.jpg
57KB, 488x325px
Can a Cucknisher fan (a fan of The Punisher) explain how 3 different directors couldn't make a single good movie of The Punisher?

What is fundamentally wrong with your favorite character or what is it that the movies just can't deliver?
>>
Whats wrong with the Punisher that u call him a cuck?
>>
today was like a flood of stale/failed memes
>>
The problem is that a good Frank Castle portrayal is that he is an unlikable cunt, and that doesn't always translate well to a visual medium
>>
>>87327494
Punisher: Warzone was a great Punisher movie. It's how Punisher should be, brutally violent and over-the-top. Plus Ray Stevenson is the best Punisher to date.
>>
but warzone was hilarious. pure entertainment. i'd rather watch warzone than 99.9% of comedy movies.
>>
File: 1494390683121.jpg (75KB, 602x816px) Image search: [Google]
1494390683121.jpg
75KB, 602x816px
>>87327494
>Cucknisher
>>
The Tom Jane version is a perfectly good action/revenge movie. People shit on it because it wasn't violent enough, but they also forget that it came out before Batman Begins when capeshit was still colorful, cheery, and sanitized for the the most part. If you're willing to accept it for what it is, it's enjoyable.
>>
>>87327592
How so? He was pretty sympathetic in the first 2 Garth Ennis Punisher runs ("Welcome Back, Frank" and the one where he fights against Kingpin).
Castle doesn't seem so unlikable, even in the Max Comics.
>>
>>87327494
>Punisher
>Cuck
How many years until that word disappears from every shitpost?
People used to say stupid things but with a modicum of originality, now everything and everyone is cuck related.
>>
>>87327816
Blade I & II had come out by that point and did well with R-ratings. They cost more than Punisher too. Lionsgate just didn't have balls.
>>
File: give.png (29KB, 778x512px) Image search: [Google]
give.png
29KB, 778x512px
>>87327494
Will the TV show be any good or no?
>>
>>87327494
>war zone
>bad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JPHJrhKC75I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9g0bmCPFsi8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuqQMoU436o
>>
>>87328131
How is it any different from slapping fag onto everything to make it a noun like we've been doing for more than a decade?
>>
The second one was good. Go vacuum clean a desert, faggot.
>>
>>87327494
Warzone was the best Punisher. Fix the writing and it would be good.
>>
>>87327494
i liked all of them. i've watched lundgren one at least 50 times on vhs
>>
>>87327846
I never said he wasn't sympathetic, just that he acts like an outright cunt all the time, that effectively is his character, not saying he doesn't act that way unjustly, its just the way he is
>>
>>87329105
GOAT punisher and gore, love the scene where he rips the chin off a bad guy and chucks it another
>>
File: 1488494303866.jpg (282KB, 1200x1614px) Image search: [Google]
1488494303866.jpg
282KB, 1200x1614px
>>87329309
>Go vacuum clean a desert, faggot.
Now that you've had time to cool off and reflect, do you have any regrets?
>>
>>87328502
Unless it is on premium cable, no.
>>
>>87330226
it's on Netflix and Berendal is playing him
>>
>>87327610
no we need a gritty nolan reboot. if he can make superman look kinda sinister considering how flat and 2 dimensional the character is with the whole boring nobody faggot who does the right thing just because

well think of what he could do with a psychologically damaged soldier who kills bad people because his family is dead and he has free time now that the kids are gone

i want to see something that would give ex-cons PTSD
>>
>>87330376
what did Nolan actually do in Man of Steel
>>
>>87330275
Well, I will have potential, then. We'll see. I still don't think it will be good, it just has that "Hulk" stigma of always being an afterthought in the Superhero Universe. I hope I'm wrong, though. Punisher was my favorite character as a kid.
>>
>>87327494
Nothing wrong with the character, the studio people just didn't care to remain faithful enough to the source material. As a fan, I felt alienated as a result. They always just cherry picked bits and pieces of the character, here and there, but never used the whole package.

Dolph Lundgren, still the best in the sense that his version nailed the character's tortured mind and traumas down to a T, and it helped that Lundgren had the right physique for the role. The problems? Other than the nickname, there was almost nothing there to indicate that he really was the Punisher. The Lundgren-movie always played him out as just some generic vigilante character, I mean he didn't even wear the skull T-shirt for fuck's sake. They threw out the most iconic and recognizable thing about the character, the skull logo.

Also, no New York Central Park mafia execution of his family (replaced by a generic car bombing instead), and no special forces training. Lundgren's Castle was just some rank and file cop. Add to this a low B-movie budget, and the end result is a pretty forgettable film in the end.
>>
>>87330551
You need to watch season two of Daredevil. Or these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWh6A6ZIpfo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aOgDyEeQDUM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdMQk2fL_qA
>>
>>87330592
Tom Jane, solid performance and certainly a better actor compared to Lundgren, plus the skull T-shirt was finally there and some nice references to some of the comics. And the fight vs. The Russian was a hoot. But being a smaller guy than Lundgren, Jane's Punisher never felt as intimidating as Lundgren's. And abandoning the gritty, dark streets of New York in favor of Florida just felt wrong. Plus, still no Microchip, and john Travolta's villain felt like a joke character. But still, a marked improvement.
>>
>>87327494

Bad scripts + bad directors don't help. A good Punisher movie is clearly possible observe.

https://youtu.be/bWpK0wsnitc
>>
>>87331239
As has been stated. War Zone was a good Punisher movie.
>>
File: 1504400692065.jpg (7KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1504400692065.jpg
7KB, 250x250px
>>87327592
>comics
>not visual
>>
>>87331151
Ray Stevenson, also a really good show from him, and the movie finally got plenty of details about the character right. We finally got to see Microchip in action for example, and Ray's Punisher was really unforgiving and brutal. The problem with Punisher: War Zone lies within the writing and direction. The camp level at times goes higher than it should, as the whole affair plays out like an episode of the late Adam West's Batman TV-show. The guy playing Jigsaw tries too hard to be like The Joker, and this unfortunately does not work, it feels hokey. Also, Lexi Alexander almost threw out the skull logo again, until somebody thankfully smacked some sense into her.

Overall, the best Punisher film to date, although it gives off the feeling that the studio didn't have much faith in it, thus the rather small budget, which shows.
>>
>>87330471
Tried to stop zack
>>
>>87329105
>Keep hearing Warzone is bad
>Fucking finally watch it because I love Ray Stevenson
>It turns out to be one of the best Marvel universe movies to date
Literally what the fuck is wrong with these critics? Warzone's easily up there with Blade 1.
>>
The Thomas Jane movie is really cheesy and goofy, but I really like him and like that one the most. Maybe shane punisher will turn out pretty good.
>>
>>87327494
So here's your answer to the 3 directors.

1) Dolph lundgren's the punsisher
A) Okayish dumb action movie from the 80's.
B) Worst performance.
C) Farthest from the source material, but at the time, the punisher was an extremely pulpy comic book that lacks depth.
(bonus) yakuza, samurai sword battles, R rated.

2) Thomas janes the punisher.
A) director more interested in spaghetti western aspects than adaptation.
B) Great performance by thomas jane, affects the comics deeply with a change in how the punisher was portrayed.
C) Not very close to source material.
(bonus) also an origin story.

3) Ray Stevensons Punisher: war zone.
A) Director offered job after oscar award winning short film, basically in it for the cash, studio essentially didn't know what they were doing with this one and just pushed for it to be made. Compared with other superhero movies at the time, warzone has less than half the budget on alot.
B) Best performance by Ray Stevenson, religiously read all the comics, and portrayed the punisher as close as possible to the comics at the time, specifically the marvelknights/ punisherMAX version and a few forgettable unrelated comic runs that came out after.
C) Closely inspired by the 'warzone' punisher run, which is very pulpy and cartoonish. Studio's aren't aware of what made the punisher popular at the time. Ultimately, fans were looking for an adaptation that is surprising, dark and tackles controversial themes. Instead recieves poorly plotted, garish, forgettable action film with lots of blood.
(bonus) R rated, excellent prosphetic work.

>secret round
4) Adi shankar's dirty laundry
A) a 15 minute long youtube video.
B) Return of thomas jane.
C) Excellent followup to 2004 punisher. Not necesscarily close to the source material, but tackles similar themes in a well done matter.

And then there's netflix punisher, which can go either way
>>
>>87327610

Fucking totally agree. WZ is so fucking underrated; miles above the others.
>>
I have a cautious amount of faith in Netflix Punisher, largely because it's not hard-tied to the Defenders so they have more creative freedom. I also like that Bernthal's Frank is like a savage dog, but he still has a little kernel of good guy deep down. Punisher is a stone cold killer, but he'd still run into a burning building to save a child.
>>
>>87332020
>>87327494
Now for what's wrong with my favourite character?

The most recognisable part of the punisher is his origin story. The punisher doesn't make that interesting of a character unless you include a wider mythology. He's not iron man. He doesn't overcome his flaws and become a better person. He's ex-super-special-forces with internal torment that essentially makes him an extreme right-wing figure of symbolic justice.

The comic's strength are it's villains. For every world destroying laserbeam in cinematic movies. There's someone engaged in human trafficking and pedophilia. For every conspiracy, there's an organised gang boss stringing up communities into heroin and people stuck in a spiral of crime.

The punisher's influence extends beyond it's mild adaptations. In other films, the punisher is seen as a figure of vengeance. American Sniper uses the punisher logo to illustrate it's protagonists character arc. In real life, soldiers pass around comics and wear punisher shirts along with call of duty Ghost masks.

The punisher is a figure that takes time to emphasize with. He's an extreme anti-hero. He tortures people. Murders indiscriminately. His logo is a skull and his past is filled with death and passing capital punishment.

Screentime makes this harder to show. We need to emphasize with the victims the punisher rescues, just as much as the victims he brings retribution to. We need to feel for the punisher as a flawed, fallible human being. And worse, we need to hate his Villains, who need to be seen as real people effecting the world. We need to cheer for the murder of Villain, who won't come back a second time.

That's what's tough about adapting the punisher. Sucking in an audience to an edgy morally grey story where the light at the end of the tunnel is a gunshot to a rapist.
>>
>>87331449

AND the Dirty Laundry short proves they can be even better than War Zone.
>>
>>87327494
Meanwhile...
>Starred in hundreds of stories
>Ripped-off by Marvel to make Punisher

>ZERO movies, not even a TV show
>>
Will Punisher be a Vietnam veteran forever?
>>
>>87333039
This is why I'm cautiously hopeful for the Netflix show. They just have more time to show Frank as a character and build a world around him.

Punisher in DDs2 got way more development than he did in the movies.
>>
>>87333371
>Will Punisher be a Vietnam veteran forever?
Theres about a hundred different interpretations of the punisher, and in alot of them, he isn't a vietnam vet.
>>
I don't know about you, but the fight with The Russian in the Thomas Jane one was pure fucking kino
>>
File: Punisher_2099.png (2MB, 862x1337px) Image search: [Google]
Punisher_2099.png
2MB, 862x1337px
>>87333471
I'm only familiar with this one.
>>
>>87333461
Yeah it can go either way. I'm hopeful it'll be on par with DDs1, or at least any of the DDs2 punisher parts.
But those are the best parts of netflix marvel. And if it's not up to par, like netflix's recent work, then it'll likely be another nail in the coffin of punisher adaptations.
>>
File: stop_acting_so_stupid_futurama.gif (503KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
stop_acting_so_stupid_futurama.gif
503KB, 500x379px
>>87327494
>Start threat with NuFag insult
Why even bother? Your a underaged fag who came in as a visitor's visitor's visitor, you automatically look like a fool slinging around the brainlets insult, you sniveling mongoloid gutter trash.
>>
File: IMG_0066.gif (939KB, 500x206px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0066.gif
939KB, 500x206px
>>87327494
>Implying War Zone isn't murderkino

Get out.
>>
File: WarZone.jpg (62KB, 1950x930px) Image search: [Google]
WarZone.jpg
62KB, 1950x930px
If you don't like War Zone, you probably just have shit taste.
>>
>>87333645
>not even one of the better versions of future frank.
>>
File: wait I'm not the body double.jpg (26KB, 497x204px) Image search: [Google]
wait I'm not the body double.jpg
26KB, 497x204px
>>87333692
>It was at this moment that goon #1439 knew... he fucked up.
>>
>>87330148
>Go vacuum clean a desert, faggot.
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>87327494
All three are pretty good action flicks just not good Punisher movies tho.
>>
We simply need a movie based on the Franken-Castle saga.
>>
File: punisherandDenimDankillasians.webm (3MB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
punisherandDenimDankillasians.webm
3MB, 1024x576px
I unironically enjoy all 3 films.
>>
>>87333180
He doesn't have a skull on his shirt tho
>>
>>87333371
He's an Iraq/Afghanistan vet in the Netflix series
>>
>>87331897
Literally the same thing happened to me I can't believe it took me 9 years to watch this kino
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.