[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, the show The Orville debuts in 1 week. What do you think

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 6

File: Orville Popcorn.jpg (42KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Orville Popcorn.jpg
42KB, 500x500px
So, the show The Orville debuts in 1 week. What do you think /tv/, is this going to be rejected on site for some rip off Star Trek wannabe? Or because of the horrible reputation that the new series, Star Trek Discovery has garnered will the trekkies back this horse instead of Discovery, which also debuts this fall? Does the show The Orville have any legs to stand on?
>>
I think The Orville would be much better received on /tv/ if it didn't have a voice actor trying to be a real actor.
>>
Orville will be mediocre and /tv/ will say that it's the best shit ever.
STD will be mediocre and /tv/ will say that it's the worst shit ever.
>>
>>87284353
What are the chances of live action keeping Seth under control?
>>
seth is such a talented actress, i cant wait
>>
File: Discovery-vs-Orville.jpg (674KB, 1200x1118px) Image search: [Google]
Discovery-vs-Orville.jpg
674KB, 1200x1118px
Are any of you of the opinion that this show will some how become part of the Trek Cannon if Star Trek Discovery bombs?
>>
>>87284353
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jekSow9aw8I
>>
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fien-print/take-me-pilots-orville-1032717

>Seth MacFarlane's new Fox sci-fi comedy isn't the Seth MacFarlane sci-fi comedy that Fox wants you to believe it is.

...the show isn't at all what it's being sold as. It happens that it's easier to sell The Orville as a rollicking comedy filled with Seth MacFarlane one-liners, goofy aliens and sci-fi gags, rather than as a very earnest homage to the original Star Trek in which an hourlong runtime allows for some character-driven comedy, but also a lot of sincerity. It's not Galaxy Quest...

>The retro-futuristic effects are fine, the production design is top-notch, and the humor is mostly lazy, with a few exceptions. MacFarlane does many things spectacularly well, but I don't find him a very interesting leading man — and he's definitely meant to be that here. His character also comes across as more of a dick, and as more of a dick more consistently, than MacFarlane or the show realizes. Scott Grimes and Adrianne Palicki have the most screentime of anybody in the supporting cast and both are fine, with Grimes having the more fully realized role. It's funny/odd to see Halston Sage buried in makeup as an alien security officer. And the joke with the Norm Macdonald-voiced goo, a central piece of early trailers, is that character's only appearance in the pilot.
>>
>>87284353
it will be shit and full of on the nose references that lack subtlety

like family guy
>>
>>87286984
FUCK. I hate that he's a dick.
>>
>>87287248
Why?
>>
File: DARK STAR.png (107KB, 194x260px) Image search: [Google]
DARK STAR.png
107KB, 194x260px
STAR TREK SHOULD HAVE BEATEN THAT ONE NOTE CUNT MCFARLAND AND DID A COMEDY STAR TREK SHOW THEMSELVES INSTEAD OF ANOTHER DEADLY SERIOUS SNOOZE FEST LIKE DISCOVERY WHICH I WILL NEVER WATCH!!!

I WOULD HAVE MADE A 12 EPISODE SERIES FOR NETFLIX, MADE IT R-RATED AND FILLED WITH SWEARING, FUCKING, KILLING AND CALLED IT STAR TREK: DARK STAR AFTER THE 1974 JOHN CARPENTER/DAN O'BANNON CLASSIC!!!

I'VE EVEN GOT THE SONG I'D USE FOR THE THEME RIGHT HERE!!!FACT!!! https://youtu.be/DdKsrotr6PU
>>
>>87284353
No joke, I'm waiting to see what /tv/ thinks before I download it, and if the majority acts like they hate it and it's the worst shit ever, I know it'll be great.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>87288155
Clever girl...
>>
File: meanwhile on star trek.gif (2MB, 300x226px) Image search: [Google]
meanwhile on star trek.gif
2MB, 300x226px
>>87284353

It will probably end up being a better Trek show than the new Trek will be.

Doesn't help the new Trek show that its being released on a proprietary streaming service instead of being shown on TV. The average pleb will watch the first episode then wonder where the next one is the next week. Eventually CBS will realize how badly they've fucked up and try to show the rest on TV. By then everyone will be watching Orville and no longer care.
>>
File: 1389982915853.jpg (77KB, 500x385px) Image search: [Google]
1389982915853.jpg
77KB, 500x385px
It'll end up doing better than Trek because it isn't alienating its fanbase by shoehorning in boardroom approved ""diversity""
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.