[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just finished for the thousand time the shining. Still don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0998.jpg (57KB, 270x406px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0998.jpg
57KB, 270x406px
Just finished for the thousand time the shining. Still don't get it, let's talk about it.
>>
>>87240821
Red pulled movie trying to warn us about the growing pedophilia movement in Hollywood, the holocaust was a lie and the moon landing was faked.
>>
>>87240821
You mean over rated full of itself the movie?
>>
What aspect of it were you not able to understand?
>>
>>87240896
Not op but for me it was the photo at the end.
>>
>>87240963
Oh well, there are different interpretations based around that photo. One theory says it meant that Jack's character was a ghost and he was haunting the two torrances the entire time, which explains the dream-like atmosphere and Danny hinting at one point that he has no father.
>>
It was about the genocide of the native Americans you fucking imbical
>>
File: kubrick quote on power.jpg (69KB, 850x400px) Image search: [Google]
kubrick quote on power.jpg
69KB, 850x400px
>>87240963
In the context of the film's plot, the hotel's malevolent spirits had taken Jack away from the world of the living and placed what remains of him (his soul? his visage? we don't know) in a photograph.
The Kubrick essence shines through when you realize that it's a photograph of many prominent political and financial figures from the 1910s, including Woodrow Wilson or his associates. This was NOT in The Shining book, nor was the Gold Room in the film either. This is Kubrick criticizing the removal of the gold standard, the creation of the federal reserve, and many other shady deals that occurred behind closed doors at that time.
>>
It's about domestic/sexual abuse
>>
>>87240963
the capability to do evil, or to e evil lies inside every human being
that's literally all there is to it
dont listen to redditors like these>>87241232
>>87241317
>>
>Dunkey
>>
>>87241406
Who?
>>
File: steven king.png (1MB, 960x1440px) Image search: [Google]
steven king.png
1MB, 960x1440px
>>87241404
>"capability to do evil that lies in every human being"
>Jack is presented as slightly off the whole film (having a previous incident with Danny, being hostile to his wife, etc)
>Jack is the only person directly depicted in this film to have committed evil acts, both before visiting and at the hotel itself
>while the malevolent spirits assault each family member, they are only open to Jack
It's not about the capacity to do evil in "each human being," that sort of idea would fit FMJ or A Clockwork Reddit better.
>>
>>87240821
Read the book, dummy.

King adaptations are always inferior because of no internal dialogue or sudden minor detail/character development tangents to clear things up.
>>
>>87241613
>King adaptations are always inferior
>he thinks the book was better than the film
That's the case for nearly all King-based films, but you can tell that Stephen is still salty TODAY about how Kubrick outshined him in this regard.
>>
dunkey is a fat piece of shit
>>
The book was better
>>
>>87240821

It's just a story, OP

>hotel built on Indian burial ground, hence the Indian-chic decor
>evil spirit resides there and can cross over into our world via people who have the shining
>Grady daughters had the Shining since they tried to burn down the hotel
>they sensed it was evil
>Danny sensed it was evil
>Jack sells his soul for a drink and kills everyone
>hotel becomes 7spooky

That's really it.
>>
File: Grot.jpg (23KB, 220x306px) Image search: [Google]
Grot.jpg
23KB, 220x306px
>>87240821
It's easy...disintegration of the family unit under extreme duress. Ask anyone with kids and a wife about this..it rings.

I treat the book and film different because they're practically separate entities about the same topic.
>>
>>87241811
I think the Indian bural approach was movie only. In the book various battles with indians are mentioned but overall the hotel is "possessed" by an evil force.
>>
The Overlook hotel saw a weakness in Jack and it manipulated him and rewarded him for doing the hotels bidding.
It made him believe he was making great progress in his book and gave him liquor, eventually it eroded Jacks psyche turned him into a puppet to kill Danny so it could eat his shining.
Jack died and was absorbed by the hotel like the previous caretaker Grady, the dead lady, bear guy and the rest.
Theoretically Danny can return to the Overlook and encounter his father as a ghost, and Hanson too for that matter.
The portrait is proof that Jack is trapped forever in that New Years Eve party.
>>
>>87240852
Agree on everything but the holocaust. It was not even 1/10th of what is now claimed though
>>
>>87241981
>>87240852
fuck off Pajeet

you can't speak English

your boss should fire you
>>
>>87240821

I was thinking about this the other day. Do you think Stanley Kubrick himself knew the answers, or nah?
>>
>>87240963
Once the hotel ensnares you, you have always been there.
>>
if you look at what propels the narrative forward, the central motif of the story is destiny foretold and cyclicity. characters are constantly forewarned about danger but either disregard it or can't escape it, and their mistakes and misfortunes are repetitive, seemingly in perpetuity.

the very first scene is jack being told about grady and assuring ullman that the same thing won't happen to him. it does anyway.

tony warns danny not to go to the overlook. he still ends up there.

wendy tells the social worker about jack's prior abuse of danny but insists that it's all in the past. it isn't.

hallorann lectures danny not to go into room 237. danny still goes in.

the recurring image of the bloody elevator, recurring image of the twins, the way we're introduced to each key location in the hotel in banal everyday circumstances before the same spaces become transformed (down to repeating many of the same shots, e.g. the horizontal dolly move that reveals the gold room), the maze mirroring the labyrinthine layout of the hotel, the motif of reflections, jack's conversation with wendy about everything in the hotel feeling familiar, jack's conversation with grady (who is NOT the same grady that ullman mentioned -- listened to the first names), the ghosts' anachronistic speech and dress which emphasize that they're repeating in death what they did in life, etc. etc.

it's all about being trapped in cycles of violence and negativity. in interviews kubrick often talked about continental philosophy and i think the shining was in some ways his dramatization of nietzsche's idea of eternal return. jack nicholson said that kubrick once told him that ghost stories were inherently optimistic because they promised an afterlife, and the true horror of the shining is that that afterlife is the same miserable existence you're experiencing in life.
>>
>>87242852
as long as i'm doing this: people also seriously misunderstand the jack character and jack nicholson's performance imo. go back and look at the way jack interacts with ullman and the other guy at the beginning. all smiles, convivial, but studied and glib. there's nothing behind the eyes. it's an act.

then look at the way jack talks and acts when he's on the phone with wendy, and later in the car with wendy and danny. that's the real jack. he already resents and hates his family. the overlook just frees him of his inhibitions and reveals what's already inside him. after the 'turn' he's not just constantly enraged and scowling, he's giddy and playful, because he's having a fucking blast trying to kill wendy and danny. he's finally free to be his worst self.
>>
Anons please weigh in: I understand that the book is much different than the movie--trivia has it that there were many arguments in vision between Kubrick and King during filming. So WHAT VISION IS WHAT? King even did his own version in 97...heavyweight against heavyweight here...vision of the author or vision of the director?

Anons steeped in both...please break it down so I can understand.
>>
>>87243748
director trumps all in a film

Kubrick's shining is his own vision - King's shining is his. That's all there is to it.
>>
>>87243748
They're different stories told with the same concepts and locations. Even the characters are different. In the book, Jack is a good man. In the film he is spiteful and evil.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-clDpRH3iA4
>>
>>87244008

Which makes his character arc less interesting. Book!Jack had a history of violence and alcohol abuse as well and the hotel was using those demons to drive him into a murderous rage. But he still seemed like mostly functional personal until he snapped.

Nichsolson was playing Movie!Jack with a sense of barely supressed rage from the very first scene and he was obviously resentful, if not outright hostile, to his own family. The hotel wasn't so much corrupting him as it was just pushing him over the edge. What I'm saying is, I have no doubt this version of him would have lashed out against his family, even if it wasn't for the supernatural forces in the hotel.
>>
this movie is an excellent pleb filter for bookfags
they can either accept that cinema is the superior genre or die shouting "b-but the book is better"
>>
They could've called this movie Boo! Haunted House and it would still be the same thing. Talentless hacks like Kubrick and King really go together. You can't make something out of nothing.
>>
>people think Kubrick made the layout of the hotel impossible on purpose in order to evoke an eerie atmosphere
>it was probably just done to save time on set building
The cult of Kubrick makes this film (and every other of his) impossible to discuss.
>>
File: ShiningLloyd.jpg (81KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
ShiningLloyd.jpg
81KB, 900x506px
>your money's no good here
I've read a really good interpretation for this Lloyd quote but I forgot what it was
>>
>>87244563

Kubrick was pathologically perfectionist, if there's something in hism ovies chances are it's that way for a purpose.
>>
File: IMG_0983.jpg (99KB, 614x403px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0983.jpg
99KB, 614x403px
>Gold room and end of gold standard in starting federal reserve

>Pedohpilia and incest in Hollywood

>haulocaust and genocide of American Indians (aka history always repeat itself and foundations always built on blood of others)

> Kubrick apollo 11 faked confession (All work = A11 work apollo 11)

>mind control mk ultra

> fairy tale theme of Greek minatour

>movie can be played backwards and forwards at same time (images superimpose) google it , some guy did it there are videos of it matching
>>
>>87240963
The hotel had jack from the start. It was always with him.
>>
>>87244496
>They could've called this movie Boo! Haunted House and it would still be the same thing.

what would this naming convention be for other kubrick movies

Zoom! Spaceship
Pow! War
Succ! Orgy
Boom! Nukes
>>
>>87244725
don't forget his famous Yawn! Wigs and Cucks
>>
>>87244584
Hes talking about the gold standard being retracted.

Before, when the gold standard was a thing you could trade your cash in for physical lbs of gold at any time, in any bank. Money had a physical tie to a precious metal so it always had a through line in terms of value and couldnt be manipulated through inflation/deflation by the goverment. Money's value was always tied to it's economy and always had a safety net because gold is ALWAYS going to be valuable. Since the retraction of the gold standard money can be manipulated by goverments to achieve goals that are against the interests of it's people.

The hotel's evil is that of the ruling class (a theme kubrick put in to a lot of his work) exploiting those for it's own existence and gain. This ties in to the indian genocide themes as well as the moon landing stuff in the shining.
>>
File: 1504431049471.jpg (320KB, 1072x1124px) Image search: [Google]
1504431049471.jpg
320KB, 1072x1124px
>>87244628
Kubrick is a lazy, aviophobic hack.
>>
>>87244878
yes that was it, I remember reading it on Rob Ager's site once, I actually believe it because there are many pieces of evidence pointing to it that make sense
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.