[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it so difficult for Hollywood to make a successful live

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: v1.jpg (25KB, 206x305px) Image search: [Google]
v1.jpg
25KB, 206x305px
Why is it so difficult for Hollywood to make a successful live action anime? Has there ever been one?
>>
wasn't die hard based on an anime
>>
speed racer was ok
>>
i think Ghost in the Shell would have been good if Scarjo wasn't the lead
>>
>>87195418
It's interesting to me that with cinematic universes being all the rage studios aren't chomping at the bit trying to adapt anime. You'd think at least someone would've tried an Evangelion trilogy, same with DB. Maybe it's too silly, even for them.
>>
Riki-oh: The Story of Ricky is live anime kino if you havent seen it yet
>>
>>87195418
You need to think of your source material as something different than "CHILDSHIT" to make a decent movie. Same as vidya.
No director currently does.
>>
File: 1501394028785.gif (240KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1501394028785.gif
240KB, 320x320px
>>87195418

It should have been dodge ball 2 judging by the cover.
>>
>>87195585
>Hollywood
>>
>>87195418

they don't fit the hollywood demographic formula because underneath it all anime is redpilled.

neither death note or dragonball should have taken place in an american high school.

further
>>
>>87195659
kek
>>
>>87195418

Because not everything needs a live action adaptation.
>>
>>87195566
would shinji jive well with mainstream audiences? just watch pacific rim
>>
>>87195857Yeah, but this is the audience that Hollywood wants:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7JmILUPlOY

Not hardcore animu fans.
>>
File: 1-1024x1024.jpg (219KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1-1024x1024.jpg
219KB, 1024x1024px
>>87195418
*teleports behind you*
hollywood should take notes
>>
Because Hollywood is terrified of not being able to pander to the biggest audience possible. It can only go so many ways:

1. Speed Racer and Warcraft are literally the best adaptations out there because there was a shit ton of love for the material put into it, regardless of whether the general viewerbase liked it. They are the best movies that possibly could have been made from already kind of weak source material. Its supposed to be alienating, its supposed to be specific and nostalgic and FUN. Both are cult classics.

2. Shit like Death Note and DBE happens because Hollywood is terrified of being true to the source material and the movie needs a diversity quota. These are bastardizations, and are only liked to laugh at.

3. Shit like The Last Airbender, where it looks and feels exactly like the cartoon but is so poorly directed and acted that its just straight up fucking terrible. This is the dissapointment category.
>>
Speed Racer and Edge of Tomorrow were ok
Neither of them were big hits though, only Edge of Tomorrow did well in the box office
>>
>>87195418
>live action
>anime
there's the problem
>>
>>87196380
I always forget that Edge of Tomorrow was anime/manga source material

Does it really count since it's a relatively unheard of franchise?
>>
>>87196319

Best post.
>>
>>87196380
EoT only pull those numbers cause Tom Cruise was staring in it.
>>
>>87195895
Wait Iris is black in this show? Jesus Christ
>>
>>87196319
Speed Racer isn't just a "cult classic" dude, everyone I talk to loves it. Was it panned on release?
>>
File: 148hlog.jpg.png (155KB, 605x470px) Image search: [Google]
148hlog.jpg.png
155KB, 605x470px
>>87195418
They can't decide if they want to completely americanize it and remove what makes it iconic and special or if they want to stay true to the roots and risk not having mainstream appeal.

So they half ass it in the middle and fail at both.
>>
File: who hiei.jpg (146KB, 1024x516px) Image search: [Google]
who hiei.jpg
146KB, 1024x516px
>>87195418
They just haven't hit the right material yet. Dragonball could of been good but it came to soon to ride on the capeflicks but now if they get a strong group of relatively popular actors thats all it needs add some quips and its golden.
>>
>>87197182
She was in the later comics.
>>
edge of tomorrow/all you need is kill
at the time it was only a novel though so it's not like they were working of pre-established designs
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.