[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did a show like the Wire ever get made, and then last 5 seasons?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: The_Wire_Avon.jpg (52KB, 506x316px) Image search: [Google]
The_Wire_Avon.jpg
52KB, 506x316px
How did a show like the Wire ever get made, and then last 5 seasons? And will we ever see its like again?
>>
it was a different time
>>
it was a big show for everyone
>>
>>87081236
Ironically this.

HBO hasn't been the same since Wire/Sopranos ended.
>>
Are you saying it wouldn't be allowed to air nowadays?
>>
>>87081236
You always know what to say anon
>>
That was back when HBO was just starting to make gritty dark controversial shows and took a lot of risks.
>>
When does the show get good? I watched the first season and couldn't understand what was going on. Does any exciting shit happen?

Redpill me on The wire.
>>
>>87081407
>couldn't understand what was going on
Sorry anon, the show was written with the explicit goal of "fuck the average viewer" and it sounds like you are that. I would recommend more suitable shows such as Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Rick and Morty.
>>
>>87081298
The CEO who was in charge all the way back from Sex and the City and Sopranos through the Wire and Entourage left in 2010 for Starz.
>>
>>87081407
Try putting your phone down and actually watching the show.
>>
>>87081537
REEEE IM NOT A PLEB!
>>
>>87081407
>The state of /tv/
yea dude a leviathan appears in season 2 it's helps epic
>>
>>87081537
Not him but I felt the same way. The characters are horribly boring. The only ones I remember liking is the black gangster who robs from the drug dealers and the trio of black boys who work for the main gang in season 1. If I don't care about the characters, why even watch it? I didn't give a shit about any of the police officers. This isn't a "they are bad people so I hate them and find them unlikable" mindset, I mean I hold absolutely no strong feelings towards any of the police officers at all.
>>
>>87081407
many people find the first season underwhelming compared to the others. try watching season 2 and you won't be disappointed.
>>
>>87081407
the redpill is that you're retarded
>>
>>87081407
S1 is pretty boring til the end. I didn't really get into it until season 2
>>
>>87081407
>>87081537
all the police jargon fucked me up a bit, but how can you not understand the overall plot?
>>
>>87081679
He would probably hate season 2 even more.
>>
File: 1494547075940.png (25KB, 669x514px) Image search: [Google]
1494547075940.png
25KB, 669x514px
>>87081407
Brainlets shouldn't even try
>>
>>87081676
>The characters are horribly boring.
Sorry anon, the show was written with the explicit goal of "fuck the average viewer" and it sounds like you are that. I would recommend more suitable shows such as Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad, and Rick and Morty.
>>
>>87081725
>>87081679
>>87081407

Season 2 is/was considered the one you could skip. And I fucking love Season 2.

If you're not invested by the end of Season 1 you probably won't ever be. And that's not coming from an elitist standpoint either. Different tastes my man.
>>
David Simon had to literally beg HBO to not cancel it 3 times.
>>
>>87081676
>The characters are horribly boring.
Shit bait
>>
>>87081223
There will be a medievial GoT-esque show about the opium trade that will be the wire for r/generation.
>>
>>87083220
Season 2 seems to be pretty polarizing. It's either the best or the worst season depending on who you ask.
>>
you have to remember that when shows like Sopranos and The Wire first went on the air their audience were a completely different generation. these shows are almost 20 years old.

modern HBO is shit like Game of Thrones because that's what people want now. the audience became a bunch of infantilized fucking babies who want the escapism of fantasy spectacle.
>>
>>87083303
Season 2 is the ultimate pleb filter. A lot of people can't get past the show changing focus to a new set of characters.
>>
>>87083220
You're absolutely right. This is one of my favorite shows ever but if someone isn't interested after the slower first season and polarizing second season it's pretty hard to still push them.

"Just keep watching! Season three is amazing!!"
>>
>>87081223
never made to season 2 because it's so boring shit.
>muh faggot niggers
>>
I watched the first episode and then dropped it because it was shit. Does it actually get any better?
>>
>>87083655
it doesn't. the show is pure shit that's only rated highly because of its libcuck themes and people believing it's based on real people
>>
>>87083303
I always liked season 2, but it seemed outa place with the rest of the series. It did let following seasons change it up. Nothing tops beat cop mcnulty in season 4, lets me feel like maybe one day ill be happy even if its temporary
>>
>>87081407
wat
After the first 2 or 3 episodes it became really interesting for me and it got me involved.
brainlet confirmed
>>
>>87083655
Give it another chance. It's a bit of a slow burn at the start.

That being said, it's ultimately a show about characters and corruption. If you're looking for ebic tweests and Micheal Bay special effects just watch something else.
>>
Is the deuce any good
>>
>>87081223
Reminder that they cut the last season short so Simon could make Generation Kill. Fuck HBO.
>>
File: 7889.png (5KB, 205x246px) Image search: [Google]
7889.png
5KB, 205x246px
>>87081407
>>
>>87083892
don't give it another chance. it's garbage. it's not about characters since there's virtually no character development that takes place except as an afterthought in the last 10 minutes of a season. it's a shit show that is supposed to be boring because it's allegedly based on real people and events. it's not so it's just boring liberal jerk off trash
>>
>reminder we almost got a season 6
>it would have focused on the Latin gangs intruding on the predominately black gangs of Baltimore

I'm kinda happy it ended on 5.
>>
I saw the first season when it was airing and immediately became a fanboy but literally no one was watching it or giving a shit about it. I kept trying to convince friends to check it out but no one cared. I remember reading articles that it was on the verge of cancelation every season. Even the critics didn't talk about it. I remember getting supremely pissed off when house won the Emmy for best writing over it in s3 and everyone genuinely believed house was quality TV. It's almost like the show didn't exist until season 4 and 5.
>>
>>87081407
the Wire is not about *exciting shit happens* so maybe you shouldn't watch it
>>
>>87084077
This is how a good amount of shows are.

>no one knew about Wire till is was basically done
>no one knew about Breaking Bad til the end of season 4
>no one knew about GoT til season 3 and the meme of Red Wedding
>>
>>87084153
>lumping the Wire in with the garbage fires that are Breaking Bad and Game of Thrones
>>
>>87081407
You have double digit IQ.
>>
>>87083986
>it's supposed to be boring

It's supposed to be about realistic characters living life in Baltimore. This = boring for ADD plebs, sure.
>>
>>87084181
I'm not saying they have the same quality, just that the general populace isn't ahead of the curve.
>>
Iafter watching the wire 10 times, I cannot rewatch

same thing for the sopranos, but I can go up to s3
>>
>>87081407
If you are not into it by the third episode, quit. Wait a few years and try again. I did that and I think it's the best thing ever showed on television.
>>
It's an okay show but in season 3 the whole Hamsterdam thing was not believable at all, and when the cop decided to move that body that was pretty much it for me. When they started the "white guy tries to teach in an inner city black school" storyline and he was somehow surprised by his sudents being inner city kids I said fuck it, never made it to season 5.
>>
I hope we see something like it again but I don't hold my breath. Intelligent writing in TV and movies is comparable to an eclipse.
>>
>>87084488
>in season 3 the whole Hamsterdam thing was not believable at all

>never made it to season 5.
made me laugh
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.