[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long did you last? >scene where Light meets Ryuk there's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 39

File: shit.png (270KB, 655x360px) Image search: [Google]
shit.png
270KB, 655x360px
How long did you last?

>scene where Light meets Ryuk there's a storm and the lights go out
>two minutes later it's barely cloudy and there are two Chads outside picking on a Stacy
>>
Everything after the Kira news montage wasnt great, and also Light was very badly written.
>>
I lasted the entire movie.
>>
When L showed up and started acting and making even dumber decisions than Light Turner, I gave an honest alt + f4
>>
>>86896217
literally made it to that scene where light meets ryuk. What a fucking shitshow
>>
>>86896217
What the fuck even was this shit. It was a fucking abortion.
>>
>>86896217
>two Chads outside picking on a Stacy
you don't know what a Stacy is
>>
File: 1503749062831.gif (1MB, 316x320px) Image search: [Google]
1503749062831.gif
1MB, 316x320px
>>86896520
It sucks too because Nigga L was clearly really trying too, he got the way L talks down to a T along with a lot of his mannerisms, it's just that the actual script ruined it for him.
>>
I wish the light would've gone into some kind of philosophy of why he kills instead of "my mom's killer got away, so bad people should die".
not sure how i feel about light's girlfriend being a cunt. live action girlfriend was tragic because it showed what a psychopath light can be, since she was so nice
>>
>>86896689
nigger you delusional. I'm black and this 'L' ruined the entire movie. the movie sucked over all but the nail in the coffin is L.
It's like they said ok lets look at the anime L and lets do the complete opposite to what he is like.

quit being such a delusional bitch boy.
>>
>>86896625
Chads bully Stacies as part of their mating ritual
>>
>>86896217
till it ended.

you pathetic special snowflake weeb shits can't even stomach a bad movie.
>>
>>86896217
What is wrong with that man's face?
He looks like the Hardy boys characters from South Park
>soulless black eyes
>small pudgy lips
>lazy eye
>terrible dye job
>>
Damn, this sucked so much. People are shitting themselves over how bad Defenders were, but I rather watch them ten times then try turning on this shit again.
Fucking garbage.
>>
>>86896217
fucking christ that Ryuk looks like that 'dat ass' Obama
even Nips got it better
>>
File: why_netflix_from_this.jpg (42KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
why_netflix_from_this.jpg
42KB, 704x396px
>>
File: to_this.jpg (168KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
to_this.jpg
168KB, 1920x802px
>>
>>86896781
Agreed. I have no clue why people are saying he was the only redeemable part of the movie. Surprisingly, his skin color was the least of the problems. That looked nothing like L
>>
Willem Dafoe is good at everything he does.

Why is no one talking about Negro L's Masonic pocketwatch and mkultra mindrape orphanage? Interdasting take on the character.

Why didn't he just check seattle's internet and phone records though?
>>
>>86897572
you mean shitty cgi Willem Dafoe
>>
File: justin-bieber-pants-1.jpg (50KB, 330x617px) Image search: [Google]
justin-bieber-pants-1.jpg
50KB, 330x617px
>>86896689
>>
I heard rumors of berserk being next. Just meme after the recent CGI nightmare, or a direct continuation into reality?
>>
File: mpv-shot0003.jpg (137KB, 1920x802px) Image search: [Google]
mpv-shot0003.jpg
137KB, 1920x802px
FUCK THIS OMEGA LIGHT
I`M SO PISSED OFF
>>
I watched the whole thing because I don't have autism or watch anime/manga

It was alright
>>
fuckin kek'd my heart out at the L chasing Light scene. They kept pushing people and throwing stuff on the ground that weren't even in their way. The whole sequence looked straight out of looney tunes.
>>
>>86896689
>The Virgin Chase
>>
>>86896571
Same.
>>
>>86896217
I'm very generous with bad movies and TV, I went in expecting full American adaptation which was fine but
>Ryuk: actually it's pronounced ree-uh-k
>Light:Ree-OOK okay I got it
I know willem wasn't on the set but shouldn't the director have said something? Also light being a huge screaming faggot in the first ryuk scene was pretty awful, I thought I was watching needs declassified for a minute
>>
>>86896781
>i'm black

No you're not, you're a white retard from /pol/ who shits on any decent black actor because he 'ruined muh all-white idealistic utopia'

face it, apart from Dafoe, Keith saved this film
>>
>>86898626
.t assravaged nigger

the movie was shit and so was monkey L
>>
File: 1495919691559.jpg (38KB, 490x290px) Image search: [Google]
1495919691559.jpg
38KB, 490x290px
>>86898775
you have to go back
>>
>>86898775
>couldn't even keep his troll going for more than one post
>>
>>86898626
>Saved this film
Maybe they tried but they didn't save shit. It's still fucking awful
>>
File: aAPGBOR_700b.jpg (27KB, 468x468px) Image search: [Google]
aAPGBOR_700b.jpg
27KB, 468x468px
>Best detective in the world.
>I just showed kira my face.
>If only I could know what he's planning to do next.
>>
>>86898592
>I'm very generous with bad movies and TV
>proceeds to list weeb autist-tier details

Sure you are
>>
File: 1440772972530.jpg (34KB, 280x380px) Image search: [Google]
1440772972530.jpg
34KB, 280x380px
>hey my alias should be Kira because that's Light in some languages - wouldnt that point towards you? - b-b-but it sounds cool!
>Light thinks he could use the DN on Ryuk when it specifies it's for humans and someone has literally already written his name in it clearly to no lethal effect
>Watari is somehow his full name and not only his first or last name or more likely an alias since he goes about handing this name out on a fucking business card
>>
I went into the movie will very low expectations and I quite enjoyed it. but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone
>>
>>86899276
>you can undo writing someones name in the book by burning the page (but this can only be done once, ever)
>no one else in the grand history of the notebook has ever done this
>when Mia threatens Light by putting his name in the book if he doesnt give her it he doesnt just burn the fucking page with his name on it himself
>>
It gets better. But it's okay at best. Better to go in ignoring source material. If you want to watch deathnote just watch the fucking anime. I never understood this autism for source material.
>>
>>86899331

>you can't do stuff thats impossible but you can make people write messages in a language they don't understand
>Mia somehow sneaks up and ambushes an FBI agent
>>
>>86899585
Physically impossible you moron. Sketching a messege on a wall is physically possible and easy. He's being controlled by the note. Pretty sure this is possible on the anime/manga.
>>
>>86899641
but only if the person already knew that, that's why they can't make someone say the L real name
>>
>>86899641

I'm sure the victim couldn't act on knowledge they wouldn't have. He tried to get someone to write L's name and it didn't work.
>>
>Light now knows that there is a piece of paper in Whammy house with L's real name on it
>doesn't make a second attempt to learn it, just says fuck it when Watari dies

actually maybe L is his real name in this retarded canon and he should just try writing that down
>>
File: 1501736125149.jpg (40KB, 797x534px) Image search: [Google]
1501736125149.jpg
40KB, 797x534px
>>86896217

entire movie

it was kino
>>
>>86899738
>>86899749

to be fair suddenly getting the compulsion to write a message someone else wrote down and never told you is also physically impossible
>>
>>86899578
Nah dawg. It's a below average movie. The story is suppose to be about absolute power corrupts absolutely, not "let me be bad but sometimes regretful and in the end i might be good but not quiet because master keikaku" shit.
Light character is poorly written and the delivery is average at best. L is questionable. Dad doesn't add anything to the movie. gf is edgy womyn being smart and ruthless. The girl is fine but the character only annoys the audience. They created her to make people think Light might be not that bad after all. She isn't a character that could stand on her own. Ryuk was fine.

This isn't a smart mystery thriller like the original and doesn't pretend to be. Instead, it's nothing at all A movie of a boy that finds an assassination note which he uses to feel good about killing his mother's murderer. That's not an okay premise in any regard.
>>
>>86899738
He gets people to write about shinigami liking apples when they don't know shinigami like apples or who L is. He literally uses multiple who don't know each other to write the messege. Besides rules in the movie are slightly different and do specify physically impossible. It ie 100% physically possible to write Japanese. I don't speak it and couldn't do it. But it's possible. Me flying is not
>>86899749
That's because Light didn't know Ls real name. Not the person he was killing.
>>
>>86897707
It looked good you dumb faggot cunt
>>
>>86900005
>The story is suppose to be about absolute power corrupts absolutely

Not here. This movie is about teenage angst and what happens when a dysfunctional teenage couple gets their hands on a death note. The movie falls apart when they decide to KEEP shit that becomes nonsensical like L and Kira.
>>
>>86900060
>he wants to be a God
>He doesn't kill normal people or police officers. L is a detective that annoys him. He wants to kill him now
>He doesn't want to kill people that the internet says are monsters. He is cornered and find use in this people by getting him out because muh keikaku
>Doesn't want to kill watari but uses the death note to do his deeds. "don't worry guys, in the end i will save him. woops, he dead, not hard feelings L"
>gf understands me but sometimes she goes above the line. Instead of helping her, i might kill her if she doesn't change her ways.

I wouldn't consider that if it wasn't for some decisions. Like you said, the kira and L persona are justified in the 2006 movie and in the anime. Here, are just there beause "it isn't death not if there is no apples, a monster, a killer or a mysterious nameless detective".
>>
>>86896217
I've never seen the original, but I kinda liked this. Didn't understand why you weebs hated it
>>
>>86896217
I'm at the cafe meeting. It is insufferable, and I think the worst thing is the soundtrack. The anime soundtrack had real gravitas to it but this is just lame moody indie rock shit.
>>
>>86900486
>never seen original material
>think his opinion isn't biased therefore is better
The film is below average on itself.
>>
>>86896217
The same scene.

>demon looking motherfucker

cringe
>>
>what's that
>can't tell you
>...
>do you really want to know
>yes
>ok I'll tell you come with me
>>
File: REEEEE.gif (375KB, 400x272px) Image search: [Google]
REEEEE.gif
375KB, 400x272px
>>86899416
>when Mia threatens Light by putting his name in the book if he doesnt give her it he doesnt just burn the fucking page with his name on it himself
>>
>>86901148
His name was already on a page that was ripped out as I understood it. Otherwise the whole plot would be even more fucking retarded.
>>
>>86900486
I've never seen the og either and I lasted less than 5 minutes. What is wrong with you?
>>
>>86901236
Yeah. That's what led to the discussion where Mia threatens him. I don't remember there being any rule against undoing something someone else did, so Light was just being retarded with the convoluted manner in which he solved things .
>>
that face that girl made after she found out her name was written in the book was pure kino

the whole falling spinny wheel thing was hilarious too, with the stupid faces light made and the retarded musical overture
>>
>>86900486
Why are there so many underaged faggots on /tv/ these days?
>>
>>86900486
>haven't seen the original
>thinks remake isn't dog shit
Compare this to the equivalent Netflix scene and wonder how they could have messed up something so basic and iconic to the series:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yIAey8Vg4w
>>
>>86896781
>Awkward
>Mysterious
>Dedicated to his work to a harmful degree
>Sweets
>Ballsy and almost self-destructive in his attempts to catch Kira
>Type of person who is convinced he is right, Light is Kira no doubt.
Literally how do people argue L is so terrible? Even the press conference isn't that bad. L is the type of person who will go to extremes to test his theories. Trying to kill Light was the only out of character part, but even then at least the reasoning behind it was in character. It wasn't just "Oh why can't I catch him, I'll just kill him". And even then the ending of the movie redeems that by showing him closer to the original saying "nah I could kill that little shit but nah I'm gonna catch him". Movie isn't great, but it's not terrible. At worst it's okay. Terrible is Attack on Titan or Dragon Ball Evolution.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9TCfPZARIk

10x better
>>
>>86901680
L's character is supposed to be the embodiment of weaponized autism. Black L breaks this character in many ways:
1) He doesn't move like a shut-in nerd, and it's obvious that the actor is naturally athletic. It makes his odd antics feel out of place when he is obviously capable of suave body movement.
2) L is supposed to lean towards a philosophy law and order, even though he's mainly driven by an obsessive compulsion to solve difficult problems. By the end of the movie, Netflix L just looks bad for race relations.
3) Black L doesn't come across as very smart, just an asshole who happens to know things other people don't. Anime L earned your respect because he demonstrated his ability on screen in a way that made sense.

I dunno, man, the Netflix L had none of the things that made the original L what he was.
>>
>>86896840
Not a weeb, but what does one gain out of intentionally stomaching a bad movie or a movie they more than likely will despise? That's like ragging on people for not finishing a shitty book or game. What's the endgame?
>>
>>86901635
Now I want to watch it for the fifth time.
>>
So in the end of the show, Light was allowed to become a shinigami right?
>>
>>86901346
>only watching something for 5 minutes

The absolute state of adhd retards
>>
>>86896217
I liked it because I had no familiarity with the source material.
>>
>>86896707

Are you talking about Shiori? I love showing dudes the jap movies because shit like that almost puts him above his manga/anime counterparts in the asshole department
>>
File: aa141769417914.jpg (819KB, 1534x1238px) Image search: [Google]
aa141769417914.jpg
819KB, 1534x1238px
>>86902497
He actually became a God of this world (ie a non-existent entity worshipped by millions)
>>
>>86899585

A call back to when she got tased herself as MisaMisa. Nice, but still retarded. Especially for the Raye Penber subplot
>>
File: 1490731233276.jpg (38KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1490731233276.jpg
38KB, 412x430px
>>86900995
>hey, i have a death god, i can kill anyone i want
>>lol k
>lemme prove it to you
>see? i killed that guy xD

jesus fucking christ what a moron
>>
>>86901407

Shit her face and the reaction was the best.

>"Are you fucking KIDDING me?!"
>>
>>86903367

I would love to see where their faith goes as they're being raped/murdered/robbed and are begging Kira to save them. They're all fucked.
>>
>>86903367
is this how Christianity started?
>>
>>86902497

You might be remembering fanart of him becoming a death god and writing notes as Ryuk watches on but that shit ain't canon.

He dies and realizes there is nothingness on the other side due to him using the death note to begin with.
>>
>>86896689
>he runs like "that kid" in gym class
>>
>>86896217
Why was the fucking school liblary full with jars and jars of candy?
>>
Kind of lost it at L's broadcast. He had no way to deduce that Kira was even watching, let alone was vengeful enough to kill him, and yet he decides not only that he was watching, but he would have killed him but couldn't

Only someone who's familiar with the source material could make any sense of this plot, and that's the least likely person who would enjoy such a train wreck
>>
>>86901635
This is by far my favorite scene in the series
>>
>>86896217
We made it to the part where Light tells Misa about the deathnote.
>>
>>86896217
Every single detail of this film was stupid. Like it was written & directed by an alien with no understanding of human behavior. The actors are clearly doing their best, but the material is what it is.

You could pick this movie apart, scene-by-scene, as a class for filmmakers in what NOT to do. This is what it looks like when the director allows his DP and production designer to walk all over him and run the set - every scene is constructed around "cool" visuals, at the expense of plot & characterization, nothing fits together or makes sense.

Most of the movie is just chunks of expository dialogue, exchanged between non-characters, who just happen to be standing right in front of a neon light because it looks cool. And then it turns out that there was no reason to sit through all that exposition, either, because any "rules" established by the film are forgotten and disregarded two scenes later.
>>
>>86898282
underrated post
>>
File: p13vs940wyhz.jpg (253KB, 2048x833px) Image search: [Google]
p13vs940wyhz.jpg
253KB, 2048x833px
I was genuinely shocked by how out of character everyone was besides Ryuk, I honestly think the writers didn't read the manga and just wrote a screenplay based on the death note concept and some mandates.
>>
File: 1501699466359.jpg (9KB, 130x143px) Image search: [Google]
1501699466359.jpg
9KB, 130x143px
>>86896217
>everyone sperging and nitpicking this are just cancerous weeaboos
it was a 6.5/10 at the very least
>>
>>86905246
>surname in reverse is I AM GAY

make me unread
>>
>>86902019
Stanfield's L was fine up until he had a mental breakdown over Watashi's disappearance.
>>
>>86901236
It couldn't have been ripped out considering the Calculus textbook was at home and he page burned up at the Ferris wheel.
Seems kind of silly in hindsight.
>>
>>86905317
It's actually i ma gay
funnier imo
>>
>>86905827
>Seems kind of silly in hindsight.
Seemed pretty silly while it was happening, too. The whole ferris wheel climax was needlessly complicated and absolutely retarded. He could've accomplished ALL of that without making himself the center of a huge public spectacle.
>>
>>86901680
>>Type of person who is convinced he is right, Light is Kira no doubt.
Jesus no. Original L was constantly saying that Light could be Kira with X probability, and that he would update that probability as new clues come in. He had an extremely rational and methodical approach that would take every possibility into account. And he wasn't "ballsy", every move was properly thought out to make sure Kira would always be caught no matter what.

For example, when he reveals himself to Light for the first time, he knows that if he dies Kira would be proven to be Light.
>>
>>86896781
Why lie? We all know you're not black, you could've just said what you don't like about L, even though he was objectively the least shitty character in the movie
>>
>>86897572
That was a pretty cool part though. I honestly wouldn't mind a sequel now with Near, played by Millie Bobbie Brown of course
>>
>>86898841
make me you fucking faggot
>>
>>86896217
Watched the whole movie while cleaning my room.

Light being such a little bitchboy was fucking horrid.
>>
>>86900486
The original is pretty shit too but the movie is even worse
>>
>>86901635
kino as fuck
>>
>>86902569
A man can only take so much cringe
>>
>>86900598
Not having seen the original would make his opinion unbiased, because he is not reviewing it under a preconceived notion of what it should or shouldn't be.
Her viewing it in an objective vacuum
>>
>>86896217
I turned it off after Light got in a fight with his cop dad.
One of my favorite early moments of the manga was when you learned that Light's dad was in charge of the Kira case, since you didn't even know he was a cop until then. Fuck I'm tempted to list everything wrong with that pile of shit based on what little I saw alone.
>>
>Light Yagami
>straight-A student
>incredibly charismatic
>generally popular, but chooses to study for his career in lieu of social status
>is adored by teachers and generally respected by students
>has a healthy relationship with his mother, father, and sister

>Light Turner
>probably straight-A, but solicits doing homework for other students, which ends up making him a problem child in school
>not charismatic
>not particularly popular
>has no known goal at all prior to finding the Note
>has an awful relationship with his widower father and has no siblings to speak of

Ryuk is just as much of a trainwreck. I didn't make it past the decapitation.
>>
File: 01.jpg (242KB, 566x635px) Image search: [Google]
01.jpg
242KB, 566x635px
>Nat Wolff's career will die in your lifetime
>>
>>86909368
It has to breathe first.
>>
>>86896689
not really, he was way too emotional, whereas L is supposed to be calm and soft-spoken
>>
>>86906712
>Jesus no. Original L was constantly saying that Light could be Kira with X probability, and that he would update that probability as new clues come in. He had an extremely rational and methodical approach that would take every possibility into account. And he wasn't "ballsy", every move was properly thought out to make sure Kira would always be caught no matter what.

Wrong. If you'd read the special edition volume you'd know that when L was saying 7 or 9% he actually meant 70 or 90. L was in fact entirely convinced Light was Kira when he met him because he is an egomaniac just like Light.
>>
>>86896689
you're just as bad as those faggots that memed finn was the only good part of TFA when really he was the worst part of it.
>>
>>86897707
VFX. CGI is pixar, toy story type shit.
>>
>>86901236
>>86901378

just turn your brain off lmao there's so many rules lol
>>
>>86896689
H-HE'S FAST!
>>
L was dumb, kira was dumb, watari was RETARDED and overall it felt like twilight with death note fanfic on top.

What an embarrassment.
>>
>>86905246
>Surname in reverse is Im a Gay
ftyt
>>
>>86902365
>who happens to know things other people don't.
That's what smart means, dummy.
>>
>>86909340
That's what bothers me most. Light Yagami was basically a prep with a bright future and the smarts to secure it. When he went completely nuts after getting the death note it was shocking just how far he went in a really short time.
In this he's just some asshole kid who has the daily life of your average school shooter. His reaction to the Note is exactly what you'd expect. In fact there aren't any surprises in this movie at all.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (103KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
103KB, 1280x720px
>>86902365
>actor is naturally athletic
so was L, did you forget the gay Light vs L tennis match?
>>
>>86909646
>tfw studios are fully aware of this and now think that turning a white character black is a cheap and easy way to garner instant unwarranted praise for the sake of progression

It's worse than tokenism.
>>
>>86902019
>dub

absolutely disgusting
>>
>>86910204
>>>/a/
>>
I knew it was going to be shit when Light jumped in to play white knight.

Light Yagami would have scoffed and gone home to study. And if he did get into a fight, he would have won because it would have turned out he took martial arts as a kid or something.
>>
>>86901635
amazing
>>
>>86910234
Now you're fucking getting it. Light is the definition of a Mary Sue gone mad. That's why I liked the original series; it subverted the Mary Sue trope by turning it into a villainous trait.
>>
>>86910297
Yeah, he's a bit megalomaniac even before getting the Note
>>
>>86910338
You could see the potential for sure. Strikes me that he'd have ended up being one of the more cutthroat business magnates if he never found the Note. Or a politician.
>>
>If you hit me thats child abuse
>>
>>86896217
i finished it, but was very close to quitting in the first 15 minutes

the last half hour was pretty good though. didn't make up for the shit show that was the rest of it
>>
File: 83f.png (380KB, 618x390px) Image search: [Google]
83f.png
380KB, 618x390px
>>86910997
>this was supposed to show his quick wit and mental acuity

I knew it was gonna be bad, but I didn't expect one of those lovable trainwrecks I actively look for.
>>
>>86910997
Honestly liked that scene, it's what a smart aleck would try and say to get out of a beating. Clearly no one took it seriously though
>>
>>86896689
idk if it was the actor or just the directing, but i got kind of the same feel. like a lot of the superficial mannerisms of L were well done, but the core of his character was off from the source material (getting emotional relatively easily, setting himself up with the extremely obvious weakness of having his butler vulnerable, considering murdering kira several times). but then again, they did this with every character. i don't think they necessarily fucked up and "didn't get" what the characters were in the source material, i think the writers just legitimately thought they were improving things with their changes. which makes them just as retarded, but still
>>
>>86896217
i watched the whole thing and that ending made me felt dirty
>>
>>86902019
L's dub voice is so far above the rest of the dub cast that it's jarring to listen to.
>>
File: worried.jpg (39KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
worried.jpg
39KB, 500x500px
So...

instead of having Watari go somewhere to find out L's name, why didn't Kira just say something like "Watari dies moments after shooting L/his employer in the head"

or if he didn't feel right about killing watari, why not just take all of the murderers he was going to kill and have them "die after shooting L" in an continuous stream of attempts. or just all at once have an army of them rush L at a news conference or something.
>>
>>86909590
Didn't L know light was kira the first time he saw him on camera and he did his thumb to the mouth thing? thats what i always thought
>>
Didn't read the manga, didn't watch the anime, didn't watch the series.

I think I win.
>>
>>86911375
He'd need L's name for that too smart boy
>>
File: 123123.jpg (1MB, 4030x4096px) Image search: [Google]
123123.jpg
1MB, 4030x4096px
torrent please
>>
>>86896217
Is it atleast worth watching as a comedy?
The scene when Light screams was comedy gold.
>>
>>86911880
Sort of. A lot of the comedy is drowned out by retardedly following manga plot beats for no reason. But sometimes the funny parts are gold.
>>
>>86911791

just tell him to kill his employer

or to blow himself up in the building where L would be. you could figure something out, wouldn't be that hard
>>
i honestly enjoyed the soundtrack, even though it was placed horribly.
>>
>>86896217
I actually cringed more in the begining, specially the scene where Light screams like a lil bitch after seeing Reeee yuck for the first time.

Then it got better when they introduced L.
>>
>>86911802
watchseriesonline
This isn't worth a Blu-Ray quality rip.
>>
So how well do they adapt the characters? If you can, list them and rate them. I've only read the manga and the novel.
>>
>>86912431
The change the fundamental core of the story. So in terms of character, none are done well at all.
>>
>George Soros and Hillary own shares in Netflix

ITS THEIR FAULT
>>
>>86912478
How badly did they change it? The part that made Death Note fun was the dynamic between Light and L with Light slowly losing it with the knowledge that someone may be just as smart as him
>>
>>86899578
>I never understood this autism for source material.
And I don't understand people like you.

Who are you trying to appeal to when you adapt something? Not the people who enjoyed the original work, I guess.

If you want to make garbage don't ride on the coat tails on something else to do it.
>>
>>86911375
One of the rules is you can't make people kill other people
>>
>>86912646
It's now a teen horror comedy and the core is mainly about teen angst and how Light deals with it. That could be fun on its own, but they decide to stick random plot beats in for no reason and it's a mess.
>>
>>86912726
>>86912646
>>86912431

It's an hour and fucking thirty minutes. There's no time for any smart mind games
>>
>>86912815
They could've at least attempted it at one point or extended the film a little.
>>
>>86912815
Yeah, which is why I said that being a teen horror comedy could be fun, but it still adds in stuff and pretends like it's a cat and mouse thing and it just falls flat
>>
>>86909552
>>86909552
the film did L better than the anime. L in the film acts like he does because fundamentally he has had a stunted upbringing. he naps because he's like a toddler. he eats tons of sweets because he's like a toddler. he sits and his mannerisms are like that of a toddler.

L in the anime is just yaoi bait. he's not an interesting character at all because all he does is stare blankly. watch the japanese films and see how fucking shit 'the real L' is.
>>
>>86912815
No but there's plenty of time for sex scenes and high school prom slow dances.
>>
>>86912863
>>86912869
Yeah, they could've, but they didn't. God knows why.
>>
File: lenotededeces.jpg (529KB, 1501x802px) Image search: [Google]
lenotededeces.jpg
529KB, 1501x802px
>>
>>86910010
It's not about progression here, some weebs thought black L (along with Defoe) was slightly less awful than the rest of the movie because at least with him early on, there were a few attempts to keep some of the tics and autism of the manga character in. While they just threw everything the fuck out with Light and Mia. It's a nerd thing. And I wouldn't say that's the same as saying that's good. Most people are only saying L was okay at the start too. I would guess the actor probably watched the anime or did other research but most of the actors didn't care about it if I had to guess.
>>
>>86912978
Cinegrids BTFO yet again!
>>
>>86912960
Obvious and shit fucking b8 although

>yaoi bait

can't argue there.
>>
>>86905246
>shocked by how out of character everyone was besides Ryuk

He was pretty bad too. Anime Ryuk is a bored death god just looking for some excitement. Movie Ryuk is portrayed as much more evil and seems to have the role of tempter i.e. they made him a demon.
>>
>>86909920
>japanese kids are conformist and if they don't do well in school they commit suicide
>they do tons of cram sessions and become robots
>yagami light

>american kids are scummy and individualistic
>mess about and some manage to coast by on natural intelligence
>also become psychopaths and go on shooting sprees
>light turner

they adapted it for a western audience. and light in the anime is fucking lame anyway, nobody would take it seriously at all if you tried to do light yagami for a western audience because it's like he was written by a 14 year old who has just discovered atheism and is trying to be as smart as possible.
>>
File: Ryuk_Shinigami_Eyes.jpg (10KB, 426x252px) Image search: [Google]
Ryuk_Shinigami_Eyes.jpg
10KB, 426x252px
Why didn't the movie cover the shinigami eyes at all? I could've swore this would've been brought up after L addressed Kira on tv.
>>
>>86912972
From what I am reading, just changing Light alone changes the whole tone of the damn thing. Yagami is a fucking charismatic ego maniac who thinks he knows what is right for the world and is suddenly confronted by someone else who is smart and slowly loses it. Turner (What a fucking generic name) seems to be the quiet sometimes smart guy. That change itself changes the whole thing.
>>
>>86900018
>He gets people to write about shinigami liking apples when they don't know shinigami like apples or who L is
No he didn't you idiot, he had them write suicide messages whose first words spelt out the message about Shinigami. He was literally shitposting L.
>>
>>86913142
because it's retarded as fuck even in the anime. if shinigami eyes are part of the fucking premise of the death note then they should've been a rule in the actual death note. but they're not, they are just some made up ass pull thrown in because the manga writers had run out of ideas. it is fucking pathetic how much exposition is given to that crap in the anime.
>>
>>86913160
>Yagami is a fucking charismatic ego maniac who thinks he knows what is right for the world and is suddenly confronted by someone else who is smart and slowly loses it.
the only people who think yagami is smart or charismatic are fellow teenagers who relate to him on a pseudointellectual level.
>>
>>86913195
Except it literally is one of the rules in the death note.
>>
>>86913224
I should've said "in his own mind".

Although he does have some level of intelligence and charisma. I mean fuck, how many people has he lured in because of it (Except for L, Near and others like them)
>>
Is it ever covered in any DN media what happens if a person legally changes their name after being written down in the death note?
>>
>>86913224
Except Light is extremely smart and charismatic. That's why, despite L suspecting him from the beginning, he's literally sitting next to L in later episodes to "help" hunt Kira down.
>>
>>86913297
This is just speculation but I think that it will always be your birth name.
>>
>>86913265
the only sin the netflix death note committed was portraying what a 'smart' teenager would actually do with a death note.

light yagami acts like he's some kind of mastermind criminal. the fuck? what experience does he have in any of that? how do you even take any of his machinations seriously? are any of them even plausible?
>>
File: slideshow-01.jpg (42KB, 502x300px) Image search: [Google]
slideshow-01.jpg
42KB, 502x300px
>>86913102
Put Light in a private school. Western accurate and fitting with his character. Just make his parents (and no reason not to give him two) a bit more successful in their fields and the money isn't an issue. Easy.

The fact is Light was intended to be the definition of the upstanding citizen, which brought more impact when he quickly went insane after using the Death Note. Light Turner is just some vitriolic nobody with a broken household who you'd expect would kill people with a notebook.
>>
>>86901635
The netflix version completely fucking blew the scene. Without L putting up a doppleganger to die, there's absolutely nothing to draw the conclusion that Kira needs a name and face to kill. Kira might have not killed him for any other reason instead. This movie was shit.
>>
couldn't he have burnt the page with his own name on? He had the book...
>>
>>86913317
>That's why, despite L suspecting him from the beginning, he's literally sitting next to L in later episodes to "help" hunt Kira down.
i'd like to be the one to tell you the show jumps the shark when light joins the task force, but it actually jumps the shark way before that.
>>
basically when Light shows Mia the death note out of fucking nowhere for no other purpose than to make her wet which
somehow fucking works?
(i forgot if she talks about how she likes killing before or after this)
just showing youre able to do this would raise some serious alarms in normal people
>>
File: image.jpg (78KB, 658x658px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
78KB, 658x658px
>>86896217
This movie made me feel like I was really drunk and blacking out. It felt like it was a spinoff made for people that have already watchdd the series. The anime is just so detailed to the point of near autism, which is the entire point. The movie was decent as a fan goofy service but thats it.
Also.. what was with L? He was so violent lol wtf
>>
>>86913359
Once a name is written down, it cannot be avoided, even with burning the book or the page.

At least, that was one of the rules of the original.
>>
The scene where misa induces him to kill those people on the website, thats the scene where i dropped
>>
>>86913337
The entire point of Death Note is what would happen if an idyllic genius got his hands on an easy-to-use weapon of mass destruction. Giving it to some above-average teenager just made it predictable and boring.
>>
>>86913420
the whole point of death note was "*tips fedora* just as planned" yaoi bait for people who think they're smart when it reality they're watching a dumb fucking japanese cartoon.
>>
File: 1503780825084.jpg (131KB, 500x642px) Image search: [Google]
1503780825084.jpg
131KB, 500x642px
THEY POPPED WATARI?
>>
>>86913454
Yes. It was Anime Sherlock.
If the director wanted something more he could've made something up. Adapt accurately or not at all.
>>
>>86913454
Well, yeah. The Death Note is just an excuse to have an Ego maniac have a battle of minds against the personification of autism.
>>
>>86913517
>Adapt accurately or not at all.
t. retard
plenty of great adaptations out there that aren't 1:1. in fact when it comes to anime the best thing you can do is distance yourself from the anime and all the fucking hallmarks that come from that medium.
>>
>>86896217
this is what anime posters think is good? im glad ive never seen an anime in my life after i watched this garbage. and dont try to defend saying its nothing like it, if your shitty anime has some faggot who can write names in a book and it kills them, yet still gets caught, its a piece of shit show
>>
>>86913454
>mad about anime
>on an anime website

b-but it's not an anime website

literally discussing anime right now kiddo
>>
>>86913589
Even if the reason he eventually gets caught is because of the same reason he started writing the names in the first place?
>>
>>86913589
As a rule of thumb nothing that comes from Shonen Jump is good. The work environment destines their manga to eventually become shit as they need to come up with more and more ways to drag something out. Most people who get into anime stop watching/reading shonenshit after a while.
>>
>>86913572
>plenty of great adaptations out there that aren't 1:1
And a metric fuckload more that are terrible, Death Note being one of them. Every time I see a bad adaptation that happened to be a great movie I always feel that the creative team could've better spent that time making something original. Adaptations should only be suited to hacks who only know how to translate source material to the page.
>>
File: image.png (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
2MB, 2048x1536px
>LORD KIRA

Genuinely one of the funniest moments in film history.
>>
>>86913654
it would literally be impossible to get caught. it was so stupid when the dad went into the hospital room and was like, so, it was you. unless the world of death note has magic that everyone knows about, no one would believe that a teenage kid from seattle managed to kill 400 criminals around the world in like 3 days
>>
>>86913297
>after being written down in the death note?
They're already fucked.
>>
>>86913084
why is that obvious bait? the original anime was trash. it's not hard to do anything better than that.
>>
>>86913611
yeah i'm discussing anime, a shit anime. i think the first 2 episodes of death note are actually quite good because they have an interesting premise but then it quickly falls apart. then they start throwing in stuff like amnesia and other retarded rules. the police meet L and he's one of the worst characters ever made (teenage girls love him though). then suddenly you've got light turning into some oscar winning actor managing to convince a widow to hand over her ID in perhaps one of the most awkwardly written asspulls of all time.

i'd say you could adapt something good from probably the first 2 or 3 episodes or use them as inspiration for something better and leave the rest in the gutter.

this adaptation wasn't actually that bad. it was miles better than the fucking japanese films + tv show.
>>
>>86913718
If anyone tried to be Kira with a Death Note in real life mass surveillance would eventually do him in. There's no escaping your internet history.
>>
>>86913517
>Adapt accurately or not at all.

lol
>>
>>86899826
L is his real name in the manga pretty much

L is pronounced Eru in japanese and that was his first name

Eru Lawliet
>>
>>86913819
>it was miles better than the fucking japanese films + tv show.
AHAHAHAHHA
*respirates*
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAAHAHAH
>>
>>86913832
I'm being serious. Otherwise what's the point of adaptation other than brand recognition? I'm on board with the not at all side of things.
>>
>>86913829
>what is television
how are they going to prove anything? wow, i googled the people who died. i also have a 24 hour livecam that shows i never left the house, what now fbi man
>>
File: ryuk.jpg (159KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
ryuk.jpg
159KB, 1600x800px
>>86913860
yes that was my exact reaction to the japanese films too.
>>
>>86913572
>plenty of great adaptations out there that aren't 1:1
name some
>in fact when it comes to anime the best thing you can do is distance yourself from the anime
>adapt anime but stay away from anime
lol
>>
>>86913874
To explore the ideas & themes from a fundamentally different perspective. If you're not allowed to do that, are you saying that all IP's and franchises should stagnate and die as they were originally conceived?

worst parts of the live action death note is when it tried to be the anime (awkward as fuck dialogue, weird pacing issues, etc)

best part of the movie was when it did it's own thing (bLack chimping out, light being a normal pansy, the ryuk misdirect, lord kira scene etc)

that should say everything
>>
Is that Akira adaptation still going through?
>>
>>86913829
Actually once Kira's MO becomes known, everybody's going to be googling info about criminals constantly. There'll be so much noise it'd be like trying to find a specific needle in a needlestack.
>>
>>86913888
You're not going to be killing any significant number of criminals to television. Kira wants to be a worldwide, not local, threat, and the most he'd be killing with television are his neighborhood niggers. The government won't care about your livecam, in desperate times like those they'll do whatever they want to stop the killer.
>>
>>86913829
Really depends on how well you plan ahead. Someone like Light could have used his dad's credentials to access criminal records in advance, and only start using the Death Note after acquiring those records.

Then once Kira worship becomes a thing people would leak out current criminal records, stuff from other countries, etc, to places like wikileaks and it wouldn't be hard to grab those anonymously.
>>
>>86913941
>are you saying that all IP's and franchises should stagnate and die as they were originally conceived?

It would make room for new IPs and franchises, so yes I would, and your own argument here supports this. Imagine if Wingard decided to just make a movie that was entirely its own thing. We'd have none of the anime bullshit and more of what worked.
>>
>>86913972
They can't seem to lock down a director. Nobody wants to make that movie
>>
>>86913874
there is no point to adaptation if you are doing it 1:1 accurately. if you are making a perfect replication of what already exists, why wouldn't people just experience the original?

if you are adapting something for a different medium then you should expect differences. what works in one medium may not work in another medium.

>>86913914
>name some
lord of the rings
edge of tomorrow
silence of the lambs
the godfather
fight club
atonement
>>
>>86914020
Wasn't Peele doing it after the success of Get Out?
>>
they missed out on two great anime scenes

>the reveal that the police chief is actually light's father
and
>"i know you're kira"

the plot should have been built around both of these scenes
>>
File: 7687544.png (667KB, 782x665px) Image search: [Google]
7687544.png
667KB, 782x665px
>Light refusing to kill any 'innocents'
>L lives
>Rules all fucked up
>Death god fucked up
>No eyes, no names and times
>Ending scene even more unrealistic than the bus set up in the cartoon
>L goes on a gun waving rampage, almost runs down people as he drives through a bus stop
>Light screaming like a girl when he sees the death god
>Everything
The only things I liked was the design and voice of the death god, and L seemed pretty good up til the point he completely broke character and chimped out.
>>
>>86904672
I think it's implied in the anime movie version that the death god ryuk has been telling lights story to is light. The unnamed death god then leaves for the human world
>>
>>86913914
>name some
Ghost in the shell
Dragonball Evolution
The Dark Tower
Street Fighter
Super Mario Bros
>>
>>86913982
The times would be off. The people googling after the death wouldn't be Kira, restricting the suspects to people who googled before the death.
>>
>>86914029
I just want to say that the source material for Edge of Tomorrow (All you need is kill) is great also.
>>
>>86914015
a movie full of compromises in exploring the themes it wants to. sure, you could make a movie that about a kill book where if you write names in it people die, but wouldn't that be so much more embarrassing than just embracing the IP he obviously wants to explore?

if you had your way, this movie would never exist. perhaps a much better IP would've been made in it's place, sure, but since this movie is at least a 6/10, and does nothing to detract from the original source material, i can't see it as anything other than a net positive.
>>
>>86914029
>why wouldn't people just experience the original?
Format, mostly. Nobody objected to Sin City, and it was about as 1:1 as it gets. Very few said "I might as well have just read the comic."
>>
>>86914049
They offered him the job, he turned it down and said he wanted to focus on original content. That was the last thing I've heard about the remake
>>
>>86914074
>this mad
lmao it's a movie you should expect differences
>>
>>86914029
>fight club
did you even read the book? the only thing that was changed (as far as i remmeber) was the ending and how Tyler and the protag met
>>
>>86914029
There isn't any point if you are going to try to be as faithful as possible.

You adapt shit because you want the audience of the original material.

>If you're going to make drastic sweeping changes, why don't you just make your own original work?
>>
>>86896781
>nigger you delusional. I'm black
>I'm black
Who cares, fuck off retard.
>>
>>86913829
>>86913888
>>86914000

what was with the cop at the end of the movie that seemingly opened up Light's search history on the school computer
>>
>>86904754
L chimping out is completely out of character but you have to at least hand it to the actor, he at least tried to show how L would run. L would be "that kid".
>>
>>86914120
>You adapt shit because you want the audience of the original material.

what

no
>>
>>86914120
>You adapt shit because you want the audience of the original material.
no you adapt because you see potential or an idea in a piece of work that is interesting to you. there is no obligation to 'the fans' of the original work. and the 'fans' of death note in america are barely even a blip on most studio's radars.
>>
>>86913454
Actually, for the most part its people like you who think too deep about an anime cartoon. I bet youre great to hang out with at parties.
>>
>>86914187
In any case, did people who did not know a whole lot about Death Note enjoy it?
>>
>>86914081
>if you had your way, this movie would never exist.

Yes it could. Black Swan wasn't an adaptation, but it was essentially Perfect Blue. And the ability to kill people remotely isn't exactly unique to Death Note. Wingard or the screenwriter could've taken that "kill whoever you want" idea and applied it some other way, like a movie about a guy who found out he could crush heads just by pretending to. You know, something.
>>
>>86914162
L chimping out actually provided a decent conflict of character than was sorely missing from the anime/manga. i liked that the ending was a bit ambiguous as to whether L had written light's name down or whether he hadn't. because L himself said kira was the person who killed people and he was the one who brought them to justice. far more interesting than anything the anime did with the character of L by a long shot.
>>
File: 1468617864993.gif (354KB, 240x200px) Image search: [Google]
1468617864993.gif
354KB, 240x200px
>>86899892
Shit taste.
>>
>>86914242
my sister hasn't watched the anime but knows bits and pieces from me talking about it. anyway she thought it was all right, she didn't understand much of it towards the end.
>>
>>86914254
I don't agree with your opinion.
>>
>>86914242
From my experience, nope.
>>
File: 1212678282205.jpg (29KB, 235x274px) Image search: [Google]
1212678282205.jpg
29KB, 235x274px
Why didn't he just burn the page with his name on it once he had it?
Why did he write that he would die and be resuscitated instead of just writing that he survived? He could have gone to the hospital either way.
Why did he act surprised when Mia grabbed the book when he wrote in it that she would grab the book?
>>
>>86896781
L wasn't great but Light was way worse than he was.
>>
>>86914323
>Why didn't he just burn the page with his name on it once he had it?
Not sure about this movie, but one of the original rules of the Death Note is that once a name is on it, there is no way off it.
>>
>>86914323
>Why did he act surprised when Mia grabbed the book when he wrote in it that she would grab the book?

Because he didn't write "she rejects the book and then grabs it", which is what happened.
>>
>>86914323
he needed to be 'out of action' for a few days so that the other guy could write some names in the book and clear his name.

i think he wrote 'if mia grabs the book' rather than 'mia grabs the book'
>>
>>86914368
This movie adds a rule that you can cancel one written death before it happens by burning the page.
>>
>>86914371
There was no "if"
>>
>>86914371
I don't think the Death Note supports if/else statements.
>>
>>86914323
>Why didn't he just burn the page with his name on it once he had it?

because he was getting chased you fucking moron
>>
>>86914428
2017 death note is a programming language
>>
File: 1462475112980.gif (1MB, 167x170px) Image search: [Google]
1462475112980.gif
1MB, 167x170px
i don't even mind that L was black, but holy shit did they make him so undignified - it was fucking hilarious watching that autistic chase scene, who thought it was a good idea to make the spergy, quiet, reserved super-detective the most off the wall and flippant character in the movie? he literally went insane in the end

it wasn't a TERRIBLE movie, but it wasn't good at all either, definitely a "watch and forget the first 10 minutes a day later" type flick
>>
>>86914446
thatsthejoke.jpg
>>
>>86914165
not an argument

>>86914187
>no you adapt because you see potential or an idea in a piece of work that is interesting to you
so why not make your own work? if you want to make death note make it fucking death note.

if you only like parts of death note, and are going to use that to springboard your own ideas, then make your own shit
>>
>>86914396
What if I write hundreds of names and set them to die five years from now at the exact same time, and then burn the entire book.
Who would die? Would there be a randomly selected survivor?
>>
>>86914446
im writing a YA novel called Deathcode gonna be rich
>>
>>86914499
>What if I write hundreds of names and set them to die five years from now
You can't, there's a two day limit
>>
>>86914513
I'm amazed this isn't a 20 year old YA novel series already.
>>
>at least 95 rules
really?
>>
>>86914519
Alright I'll rephrase. What if I write hundreds of names set to die two days from now at the exact same time, then burn the book? Would there be a randomly selected survivor?
>>
>>86914469
>so why not make your own work?
because there is no such thing as originality, every work of art is in part attributable to some other piece of art and adaptation is just an overt way of doing it rather than a covert way of doing it.

>if you want to make death note make it fucking death note

if you like parts of death note then what's wrong with taking the parts you like and changing the rest of it?
>>
>>86914541
Some of them are so specific that they don't matter and the majority of them are clarifications of other rules.
>>
>>86898626
implying blacks cant be impartial to miscasting based on race.

Im black and I rage everytime a black bond is ever mentioned.
>>
The entire movie. I thought it was decent. But I know that difference between based on and an adaptation.
>>
>Netflix
I got that far.
>>
>>86914513
>A young IT major finds a magical laptop
>There are no rules, you can program anyone's death if you can figure out the code to make it work
>Can use if/else statements to fine-tune the manner of death, or loops to cause groups of people to die in the same way
>You have to kill people to test your code and there are horrible grotesque consequences when you make runtime errors
I would read it
>>
>>86914541
http://deathnote.wikia.com/wiki/Rules_of_the_Death_Note
All of these applied in the manga. It's just that only the first 8 were written in the notebook itself (although Light later added two fake ones for his mind games), all the others are mostly worldbuilding fluff.
>>
>>86914541
most of the rules just get added as the anime goes on and they run out of ideas. there's weird shit like if the owner doesn't write any names for a few days then they lose all memory of the death note but when they touch it again they get their memory back. super retarded and purely there to suit the needs of the shitty plot.
>>
>>86914603
Even without any adaption the movie is fucking dogshit you retarded cocksucker.
>>
>>86914600
>i'm impartial
>i rage everytime

okay
>>
>out of nowhere the netflix defense force comes in and insists it's not THAT bad

Netflix is dead, kids. Before long they won't even have the pennies to pay you.
>>
>>86914627
Fuck, me too.
>>
File: fec.jpg (29KB, 600x606px) Image search: [Google]
fec.jpg
29KB, 600x606px
>>86914607
>>
>>86914627
Jesus Christ I'd rather watch this than Netflix Death Note.
I can even imagine a scene where he tests out a loopdeath on a busy crosswalk.
>>
>>86898841
>every opinion I don't like is /pol/
>>
>>86914632
>most of the rules just get added as the anime goes on and they run out of ideas. there's weird shit like if the owner doesn't write any names for a few days then they lose all memory of the death note but when they touch it again they get their memory back. super retarded and purely there to suit the needs of the shitty plot.
That memory rule is literally brought up in episode one, you retard.
>purely there to suit the needs of the shitty plot.
No shit. Wow Citizen Kane is fucking dumb the sled is only there to suit the needs of the plot. Back to the future is dumb the time machine is only there to suit the needs of the plot.
>>
>>86914812
your'e a brainlet
>>
File: it looks like fucking garbage.png (908KB, 1501x802px) Image search: [Google]
it looks like fucking garbage.png
908KB, 1501x802px
>>86912978
Putting it in a cinegrid doesn't change the fact that it looks like a weekly hour-long tv show
>>
>>86914926
Thats the joke.
>>
File: 1223680102688.jpg (22KB, 537x424px) Image search: [Google]
1223680102688.jpg
22KB, 537x424px
Why is Movie Light such a fucking pussy? N-no Mia we can't kill the police. Anime Light killed a fed with zero hesitation AND THEN laughed to himself as he made his fiancee neck herself for daring to investigate it.
>>
>>86914862
your*
>>
>>86914986
Because it's a pile of shit no matter what name you slap onto it.
At a guess it was a sad attempt to make Light relatable.
>>
>>86914249
>Black Swan wasn't an adaptation, but it was essentially Perfect Blue
go back to /a/ you fucking retard
>>
File: 93086_v4.jpg (33KB, 600x301px) Image search: [Google]
93086_v4.jpg
33KB, 600x301px
>>86915199
It'll trigger at least one Aronofskyfag every single time.
>>
>Aronofsky buys the rights to perfect blue
>BLACK SWAN'S NOT PERFECT BLUE REEEE
>>
>>86896781
L was the only part that wasn't shit.
>>
>>86896689
You're joking, right?

They basically replaced L with an entirely different character; some weird gothninja rapper nigger. Why is he so spindly?

The major problem was that there was just no fucking tension. They tried so hard in the finale to pull a "just as planned" but it was fucking weaksauce and boring. WOW, she left him alone to go get the book and he used that time to fuck her over and save himself. What a tweeeeest.
>>
>>86915520
>The major problem was that there was just no fucking tension.

You hit the nail on the head. Death Note carried itself on tension.
>>
>>86915594
Death Note had zero tension, fuck off. You basically knew everything that was going to happen.
>>
>>86896217
Finished it.
Better than the anime.
>>
>>86915776
You don't have to like it, but that doesn't mean you have to lie about it. It was predictable, sure, but of course there was tension.
>>
>>86915594
I mean, the entire movie was a problem, but it could potentially have been its own thing INSPIRED by Death Note if it had actually had some tension.

>L publicly calls out Kira at the smallest Metropolitan Police announcement in history and just kind of flails his arms around
>When L meets Light, Light basically just says "Yeah I'm Kira, you don't undastaaand" instead of putting up any form of resistance leaving you wondering how much L has worked out
>Absolutely no reason to have Mia, her killing the FBI agents made no difference to anything, it was extremely predictable she was going to go nuts the moment she says "WE will change the world"
>Ryuk is flat-out antagonistic towards Light and is shown to have somehow influenced what happened to the ferris wheel even though shinigami are neutral
>Instead of showing times when he kills people, the entire story goes by in a montage; when Light realizes he's done bad stuff he only thinks about himself, absolutely zero moral dilemma or intrigue

>>86915776
You're telling me you knew Light was going to deliberately give the book to some random, un-introduced character, lose his memories and team up with L to catch Kira, only to regain his memories when retrieving the evidence, framing Mia, and in a masterstroke, tricking a supernatural arbiter of the Death Note itself into sacrificing itself to kill his nemesis, thereby removing his prime pursuer and only equal and allowing him free reign with the Death Note for the next year?

You're going to tell me you really saw that coming?
>>
>>86915894
>but it could potentially have been its own thing INSPIRED by Death Note if it had actually had some tension.

Get rid of L and Kira and it's an alright, if cheesy, "a teenage couple gets a Death Note" story.
>>
>>86915816

One question about it.
Does Netflix pay you by the post, and how do you apply for a job like this?
>>
>>86915894
>Ryuk is flat-out antagonistic towards Light and is shown to have somehow influenced what happened to the ferris wheel even though shinigami are neutral

Ryuk was the worst part of all of this. He was clearly pulling Light's strings, and that's just not the character in the books. No fucking excuse for that cliche'd villainy either. Massive waste of Willem Dafoe.
>>
>>86915928
I wouldn't object to a canon spin-off. We know there are many shinigami and many Death Notes. No reason to confine it to Japan, just change the story to something fresh.

Which reminds me, why bother putting in that overly Japanese cult and character, ROOK, I AM MISUTAA WATARI ROOK HOW NIHONGO I AM DESUUU

Like why even put it in? It was so obvious it was to pander to people who know it's Japanese, but so what? What the fuck did anything about Japan have to do with anything? He killed a shitton of people overseas to cover his tracks, why Japan? Why is the black guy from Japan? That sounds intensely unrealistic.
>>
>>86915867
If you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to feel tense.

>>86915894
No, but I knew that Light would pull some card out of his ass to deal with L to escape the investigation since he was inevitably going to get caught, and the minute I saw L and Light get buddy buddy I knew one of them was going to die at the end of that little arc, and knew for certainty it was L after he suspected nothing when Light starts screaming after touching the death note in the helicopter.

Just because you may not know exactly how events will play out does not mean you don't know the general structure of events.
>>
>>86916171
>If you know what's going to happen, it's difficult to feel tense.
That's personal. You can't deny the tension was in the books, and that people felt it.
>>
File: L.png (863KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
L.png
863KB, 1600x900px
>>86896217
Goodnight, sweet prince.
>>
ryuk doesn't look right at all. Low budget or not, he shouldn't look this bad.
>>
I started watching this and hated it because it was corny, edgy, and cliche, and also because it wasn't like the anime. Then I remembered that the anime corny, edgy, and cliche, as well as shitty. I didn't even like the anime so why would I care if this swasn't like it. Once I realized that I got over it and just enjoyed it for what it was. Granted, I'm only 20 minutes in, but so far its OK. I just wish Willem Defoe was in costume instead of the CGI shit, but the CGI Ryuk isn't that bad.
>>
>>86915960
Not at all. I've always felt the anime was bloated and full of unnecessary shit. Plus I enjoy the ambiguous ending a lot more.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JK0e7RJGJXw
>>
>>86909655

>VFX = Visual Effects
>CGI = Computer Generated Imagery

1. They're almost one in the same these days
2. It's asinine to call this out among all things, Ryuk is clearly CGI.
>>
>>86916318
>they do it for free
Astounding. Probably shouldn't be surprised considering Netflix's far-left slant.
>>
>>86916313
>I just wish Willem Defoe was in costume instead of the CGI shit, but the CGI Ryuk isn't that bad.

Only the face is CGI, the rest is an actual suit
>>
I did not watch it yet. Can someone explain me HOW THE FUCK this ugly-ass beta bullyed school shooter Light got such a pretty standart beauty gf?

In the manga he was very handsome and shit, then Misa that only admired him, fell head over hills when she saw he was also hot and then wanted to (fuck) date him
>>
>>86916171
>No
Right
> I knew that Light would pull some card out of his ass to deal with L
Okay...but you didn't know HOW
That's... that's where the fun is
That's where the tension is Anon
It doesn't matter what you know, what matters is HOW he pulls it off, that's why you read/watch
>the minute I saw L and Light get buddy buddy I knew one of them was going to die at the end of that little arc
Some superhuman levels of prediction here, do you have a PhD? You sound super smart
It's like you can pick up on deliberate foreshadowing or something, whoa

>Just because you may not know exactly how events will play out does not mean you don't know the general structure of events.
Yeah...yeah it does Anon
That's literally what it means
Like, what happens when you watch other films? "I knew Ultron would lose lol" "I knew Godzilla wouldn't destroy all of Japan lol" "I knew Batman would beat the Joker lol"
Like...good job dude, good job being regular levels of observant
>>
>>86916341
Is this how you always react when someone has a different opinion from your own?
God forbid someone go against the hivemind.
>>
>>86916327
>kek
>>
>>86916349
>e HOW THE FUCK this ugly-ass beta bullyed school shooter Light got such a pretty standart beauty gf?

He's not bullied nor is he a school shooter type.
Also Misa in this is an egotistical popular bitch who loves the idea of the Note's power. So she fucks him.
>>
>>86916381
>defending objectively shitty movies is an act of rebellion now

Fascinating.
>>
>>86916381
But You're just fucking wrong anon
>>
>>86916349
She's attracted to the power. Not Light.
>>
>No potato chip scene
An utter, utter waste of time and money.
>>
File: 1471001647977.jpg (988KB, 1420x1436px) Image search: [Google]
1471001647977.jpg
988KB, 1420x1436px
>>86916346
Neat, that must be why it looks decent. If they made the costume why didn't they go all the way and get him in some makeup
>>
>>86916419
>objectively bad
Top kek
>>
>>86916476
When the production value, acting, script, and cinematography have all gone wrong, then yes, it's objectively bad. It's not what the director or crew intended, and if it is, then they should be ashamed of themselves for willingly making something this subpar.
>>
>>86901680
>huge bursts of emotion
>bad oversights ("search this entire house. Don't bother searching the girl who was sitting next to Light or any of her belongings though, just let her go on her way")
>I'm not going to show my face to the head of the task force because "I'm not in a trusting mood lately" but I guess I can just take my hoodie/mask off for Light
>no video surveillance, and pretty lacking general surveillance. Doesn't investigate any of Light's associations.

The whole movie was dumb as shit and L's character was fucking stupid. The guy's supposed to be literally ALWAYS calm and collected (only outburst in the manga was "Shinigami? Are we supposed to accept the existence of such a thing?!") whereas this fucking idiot was literally crying when Watari went missing. L knew that everyone in the task force was risking their lives and when whats-his-face died at the news station he was stone cold.
>>
>>86916530
Literally everything you said is wrong. Just go back to watching babbies first anime.
>>
>>86913819
Shit b8 m8
>>
>>86913819
You're absolutely correct.
>>
>>86916615
Hey, I didn't want Death Note to be a shitty movie. Hell, I expected at least decent mid-budget teen schlock. I didn't even get that. It was embarrassing, and considering Wingard's current Twitter hissy fit, I'd say that embarrassment was well deserved.
>>
>>86916197
Maybe so. Not for me, then.

>>86916360
Why is every sentence a new line?

>didn't know how
That's true, I did not. I did know it would have to have been some major asspull, though, and I wasn't wrong.

>deliberate foreshadowing
What are you trying to imply here? It was foreshadowed. Was I not supposed to see it so I could feel tension?

>all those examples
Nice strawman buddy. I understood Death Note's structure since the show dropped very obvious hints and the plot was extremely predictable. Just like how one can know Doctor Strange's structure 20 min into the movie. And why are you calling me a pleb for knowing what was going to happen and telling me I should've felt tension anyway? Are you autistic?
>>
>>86916724
I'd have a hissyfit too if I had a bunch of dumb weebs and people yelling "WHITEWASHED" at me.
>>
>>86916813
Good thing you don't direct, then. Pissing and moaning at any customer of a product you're bringing out is bad fucking business.
>>
>kira means light!

drizzy izzy opped
>>
>>86916839
Death threats and angry yelling aren't criticism. That's what he's making a stink about.
>>
>>86916943

Insecure as fuck to even entertain them. Why bother biting bait when you yourself know it's bait. It's just making him look asspained, because let's face it: he is.
>>
>Watari is his full name. No last name, not an alias
>Light thinks he can kill Ryuk with the Deathnote when the literal first rule is "The HUMAN whose name is written..."
>L calls for the police to "tear this place apart" when searching Light's house but apparently doesn't search the girl that was in the house at the time.
>For that matter, L seemed to take no interest in Light's associates.
>Mia doesn't realize that Light can just burn the page with his own name instead of giving her the Deathnote.
>Light apparently doesn't realize he can just burn the page with his own name on it after getting the DN back.

Not so much a plot hole, but
>Being able to burn the page to prevent the note from taking effect is fucking stupid and completely against the 'spirit' of the note and the series.
I legitimately thought that rule was going to be fake and Ryuk just did it to troll the poor sap who had it last.
>>
>>86914986
Because its American. The main character can't be a bad guy.
>>
>>86916263
blue light disrupts sleep
>>
>>86916263
>Okay in this scene we'll have them talk about needing sleep, and then L puts on some shades with blue light. The fact he has trouble sleeping adds nothing to the film and is never brought up again
Why though?
>>
>>86916327
Not only a shitty actor, but a shitty Light. Shit video by the way try posting it on reddit I hear they love memes.
>>
>>86918093
dont lie faggit you love it
>>
>>86916296
The budget was $40 million. That's probably more than both of the japanese films' budget put together.
>>
>>86918093
In his defense, with the way Light was written there's no way anyone could have made it a good portrayal. But that was to be expected, Americans would never let a sociopath be the protagonist of a mainstream movie.
>>
>>86899276
Did Light ever meet Watari in person? How did he picture his face if he didn't know what it looks like?
>>
>>86901236
It wasn't. You can see that his name is written in one of the pages of the Death Note when he's looking at it after taking it from Mia's locker
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.