[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will star trek writers ever begin to explore how the entirety

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 7

File: Khan_Noonien_Singh (3).jpg (303KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Khan_Noonien_Singh (3).jpg
303KB, 1440x1080px
Will star trek writers ever begin to explore how the entirety of star trek society was the result of a brutal planetary wide eugenics war? Star trek all makes so much more sense when you realize they're all descendents of genetically augmented humans but none of the writers seems to want to go there and the eugenics wars and their effects on the human genome always seems deliberately vague. Remember, Zephram Cochrane developed warp as an aging man in 2063 and would have been the first crop of eugenic humans born after the conclusion of the eugenics wars in the 90s.

Do you think star trek discovery will finally address the elephant in the room of a futuristic post racial utopia being rooted in a massive eugenic cleansing of humanity that occurred in the late 90s?
>>
>>86879387
It's unlikely Discovery will touch on anything that topical or relevant to future technology.

Everything is references now. We live in a reference culture. Discovery will just be a serious of "reveals" of things everyone has already seen in past series.

But please keep making good posts like this because it at least keeps the fire alive.
>>
>>86879387
the Eugenics Wars were in the late 20th century. they ended in the 1990s. Genetic Engineering was banned on Earth after that.

Then in the early 21st century was a nuclear world war. which caused a high mutation and cancer rate. A colonel went rogue and started a second eugenics movement. where they just wanted kill off all the genetic defective people. To spare them a life of pain and spare society the burden of caring for them. though this failed.

Kahn and his augments got in an early atomic powered sleeper ship and left the solar system.

the remaining augment embryos and augment research was locked away at a deep space facility.

no one in Star Trek was a genetically engineered superman until Bashir.
>>
>>86879697
Wouldn't there be people who are descended from augmented humans, and who thus have higher capabilities compared to the humans of previous eras?
>>
>>86879697
>Genetic Engineering was banned on Earth after that
Banning genetic engineering after ostensibly millions of genetically augmented people plunge the planet into a eugenics war in the late 90s doesn't really change much. Star trek's humanity is necessarily the result of eugnic augmentation whether the writers like it or not.
>>
>>86879819
>>86879816
TV canon makes it appear that the Augments were only a few hundred/thousand at most. They rose up to be the leaders of asian and african nations.

Unless they were fucking like rabbits with the normal population. I don't think there would be a significant amount of augment hybrids.
>>
>>86879878
It only takes a few talented people to catapult a civilization forward.
>>
>>86879819
The populace of augmented people was not that large. It was essentially still experimental when people like Khan used their advanced intellect, strength, and charisma to gain the power and fame they did.

I believe we're supposed to operate under the assumption that the majority of people were not of this selective gene pool. And that any of their descendants probably escaped with them.
>>
>>86879878
"In universe" history can be flawed in of itself, just as real life history is often mythologized and muddy as well. Augmented humans and the eugenics wars are a fundamental pillar of the Zephram Cochrane era and everything that sprang from it whether in universe federation historians like it or not.
>>
>>86879387
>Star trek all makes so much more sense when you realize they're all descendents of genetically augmented humans
They are actually -not- descendants of genetically augmented humans and that is one of the things that makes Trek more convincing to me. It's amazing that Gene and the writers had the foresight for this idea, or perhaps they simply lucked into it.

I believe that strong A.I. and uncontrolled genetic manipulation of the species are our two greatest threats to our advancement into space. These are the dark paths where we risk losing our humanity. We makes us "us".

The Eugenics War taught humanity a "lesson they will remember in their bones" to steal a line from Dune. They find eugenics absolutely repulsive, and that has kept them grounded and allowed them to stop the headlong plunge into losing their souls to machines (one reason you don't see much cybernetic augmentation, just things like Picards heart or Geordi's visor that bring people back to mostly "normal") and supermen.

A lot of Trek is about the search for something "more" out there in the universe, something that goes beyond concepts like the singularity.
>>
>>86879387
Post this on /r/daystrominstitute. You will get better replies.

>>86881590
see this thread
https://www.reddit.com/r/DaystromInstitute/comments/6vtugm/could_any_origin_story_for_the_borg_satisfy_you/
>>
>>86883195
>reddit
Heh, I'll pass
>>
>>86879387
The eugenic wars of the 1990s are described as a horrifying event up there with the holocaust. Certain humans of eugenic origin such as Khan became warlords and controlled the world. It is in no way implied that they are all descended from eugenic specimens.
Further to this, Star Trek always displayed an idealistic communist society, the whole point of adding in the eugenics war was to suggest another resurgence of fascism as a result of the collapse of capitalism, which would inevitably fail and make way for a communist society.
>>
>>86879697
But none of that happened. Is Star Trek some sort of fantasy programme?
>>
>>86883367
You don't remember the eugenics war?
I have some bad news anon...
>>
>>86883305
Millions of dysgenic people died and eugenic supermen like Khan were controlling large swathes of the planet. Two generations after the conclusion of the eugenics wars Zephram Cochrane invents warp drive in the ruins of the third world war that went nuclear and most likely eliminated even more dysgenic lines. Read between the lines.
>>
>>86883248
Stop being an idiot.
>>
>>86883447
There were not that many of the eugenic people like Khan.
And shit man, within 24 years of the dropping of the atomic bomb we went to the moon.
Roddenberry was a man with a story of hope, faith that humans can overcome these terrible things. The point was that, during a time where everyone fear atomic destruction, bad things may be around the corner, but we will overcome this and go to the stars and live in a better world.
That is the point of Star Trek. Hope.
>>
>>86883425
>eugenics war occurs
>I still exist
I don't think so buddy
>>
>>86883447
One could reason that Zephram Cochrane was able to proceed quickly with his research based on technological advancements and ideas sourced from augments while not being augmented himself.

In addition to this the lack of any huge governing bodies getting into the way of his research and actions could help him cut through some red tape that might have been holding back warp drive technology in the past. Organizations like NASA need everything to be just-so at every turn. Zephram winged it, rolled the dice, and it paid off.
>>
JJTrek makes me want to puke. The first five Star Trek movies are kino.
>>
File: TerranEmpire2.png (24KB, 139x316px) Image search: [Google]
TerranEmpire2.png
24KB, 139x316px
I would like to remind everyone on /tv/ that the Mirror Universe is our universe.
>>
>>86883509
>he actually believes that humans can travel through the lethal radiation cloak shielding Earth implemented by the Elders to contain our cancerspecies
Yes, atomic bombs are real and so was the moon landing, haha, I agree
>>
>>86883509
>>86883551
You are both going by the "official" canon which claims the eugenics wars had no appreciable effect on the human genome which is of course patently ridiculous. Events surrounding the eugenics wars have never been explored in depth within the universe. It isn't a stretch for the federation to consider the overall effects they had on humanity to be shameful.

But in any case the humanity portrayed in star trek is truly a step above ours and to argue it is rooted in the eugenics wars isn't exactly a stretch.
>>
>>86883615
>tfw theres a mirror universe where bernie won and is gassing opposition while trump is twooting about how free health care and importing canadians will solve everything
>>
>>86883699
>my fan fiction is better than canon
lmao
>>
>>86883757
>the official canon narrative is always 100% true, not open to questioning, and is necessarily sensical especially surrounding an event that hasn't been explored in depth canonically in the first place
kek I bet you still doubt the existence of section 31 because you're a naive idealist that still believes all federation lies wholeheartedly
>>
I didn't want to believe or accept your theory but I search my feeling s at it just seems like there might be some truth to it. I mean the kind of truth that could never be officially recorded.

Why have a eugenics war at all if its effects were supposed to be null to the over all story of Trek? Just a ww3 would have been enough of an overcome the odds scenario. But Eugenics, the very idea is to enhance the species. Even if it failed, as the official story says, genetics is a powerful force, those mutations if beneficial would likely be resilient and been passed on. It could be that the governing politics of The Federation or United Earth Government required that people believe this flare up of racist genetic politics was unsuccessful while benefiting from its success passively.

Was Gene leaving us a secret message that even our most vile and repugnant acts and eras are important contributions to our human experience, progress, achievement, and even definition of our self? That achieving the Utopia means embracing the lessons of our darker selves and letting our past be part of us while striving for greater?

Maybe it was a truth even the writers couldn't articulate but human nature encoded into the fabric of the mythology like the glint of the fires in the eyes of ancient story tellers, its not the facts that make a story true but the truth of the ideas and message.

Are Kirk and Khan really two parts of one whole that even though we cannot accept, we deep down acknowledge. They are, in the end, us.
>>
>>86879387
It really think they implemented some sort of pragmatic eugenics in his domains like killing the sick and dumb people.
>>
>>86879387
>>86877709
>>86877709
>>86877709
>>
>>86879387
this was my favorite character and aspect of star trek. space seed with the references to great man theory of history talking about napoleon, richard the lion hearted, genghis khan, alexander the great, etc.

great lines

>"improve technology and you win two-fold, improve man and you win by a thousand fold"
>>
>>86884296
Don't like gay Trekthreads. This one's fine, thanks though.
>>
>>86884296
>diverting attention away from an interesting topic specific thread to a shitty meme general
Proof that generals are cancer.
>>
This would explain why Kirk was able to defeat a guy that was supposed to be 5 time stronger than a normal man
>>
>>86884390
So much this. OP put some effort into laying out an interesting premise and some guy is trying to redirect posters into a thoughtless degenerate memethread? Why can he not just stay in his thread and be gay? Why does he have to parade around to recruit others?
>>
>>86883699
Even the official canon says records from the period are fragmented. So the idea that some of the human genepool in the 23rd century has benefited from augmentation is plausible. Certainly plausible enough to make a story out of it since it is topical and interesting.
>>
>>86884071
>Was Gene leaving us a secret message that even our most vile and repugnant acts and eras are important contributions to our human experience, progress, achievement, and even definition of our self?

There is a lot of medical research which came from Nazi and Japanese medical experiments in World War II that is still used today because it would be unethical to reproduce them.

Just the other day I saw a news article talking about how the "founding father" of gynecology committed atrocities in his research with the use of slave women as experiment subjects.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Marion_Sims

>Maybe it was a truth even the writers couldn't articulate but human nature encoded into the fabric of the mythology like the glint of the fires in the eyes of ancient story tellers, its not the facts that make a story true but the truth of the ideas and message.

I can't do anything with this but agree with it.
>>
>>86884071
The problem is that from a scientific standpoint, eugenics is a bad idea, not even considering humanitarian concerns. To act as if we know which genes are "useful" and which are not is hubris. Epidemics happen, environments and fitness change, "useless" genes start to come in handy. Engineering a more genetically homogenous race is shortsighted and the decrease in genetic diversity makes it less likely for the species to be able to respond to new diseases or epidemics, for example.
>>
File: ST-exhibit-3.jpg (86KB, 1000x525px) Image search: [Google]
ST-exhibit-3.jpg
86KB, 1000x525px
The control panels in this series....just wtf? Do augments only need unmarked blinking colored lights to operate a ship. Even King of the rocket men had labels for his suit dials. The prop team for TOS should have been shot.
>>
File: 1503331597046.png (117KB, 680x788px) Image search: [Google]
1503331597046.png
117KB, 680x788px
>>86884816
>tfw to eugenically superior for labels
>>
>>86884797
This. The seeds of criminal behaviour could prove useful in a number of circumstances.
>>
>>86883477

Get over yourself.
>>
>>86879387
are there any episodes like this?

i really like space seed and the pilot
>>
>>86885451
well, there's the arc with the genetically modified in ds9
>>
>>86885451

ENTERPRISE has some storylines about it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Augments
>>
>>86885310
you're the one subscribing to the idea that reddit is the boogeyman
>>
>>86885848
I think maybe he just doesn't like bleddit and doesn't want to go there.
No booogeymen necessary
Would that be acceptable?
>>
>>86879387

Considering all of the black people behave like white people, I'm going to throw it out there that Negros had their IQ uplifted to "equality".
>>
File: 432532.gif (875KB, 178x195px) Image search: [Google]
432532.gif
875KB, 178x195px
>>86879387
Nigga you seriously believe Captain Kirk was genetically modified?
>>
I'm always amused that Star Trek shows humans as the leaders of Starfleet. Most likely if humanity ever joins a federation of alien planets we'll be the dumbest ones. We'll be the Starfleet janitors.
>>
>>86887787
starfleet != federation
>>
>>86887862
They are both make-believe.
>>
File: 320x240.jpg (69KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
320x240.jpg
69KB, 320x240px
>two of the most iconic genetically mod humans are both shitskins

what did they mean by this?
>>
>>86883305
>the holocaust
>horrifying
kek
>>
They should retcon the Eugenics War as Khan being illuminati or some shit and influencing the scenes behind.

Which I think a novel I read did, mainly because of that Voyager episode.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.