[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"One thing that really pisses me off is when people tal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 1

File: S3E4_Vindicators.jpg (43KB, 615x340px) Image search: [Google]
S3E4_Vindicators.jpg
43KB, 615x340px
"One thing that really pisses me off is when people talk about how hiring writers should be a meritocracy. The people who say that have never ever thought about what that actually means and where that meritocracy comes from. Overwhelmingly, the person who is deciding who is the funniest is going to be a white guy, usually in his 30s or 40s who for sure grew up middle class or upper middle class. Someone like that is going to have very specific life experience and a specific sense of humor."

What did she mean by this?

http://splitsider.com/2017/08/rick-and-morty-writers-on-adult-swims-lack-of-shows-by-women-i-dont-think-its-too-late-to-change-things/
>>
>>86784215
didn't click link but quote makes a good point. Humour is subjective, a 'meritocracy' is only valid when that merit can be determined objectively.

Season 3 is good.
>>
>>86784215

That's why Roiland (AKA the only good thing about the show) is working on a side project w/o Dan Harmon.

Can't wait.
>>
>>86784351
>Humour is subjective
Wrong
>>
>>86784351
>Season 3 is good.
kill yourself
>>
>the person who is deciding who is the funniest is going to be a white guy
>((((white))))
>implying
>>
>>86784351
the only good episodes in season 3 are 1 and 5, neither of which were written by "LE WEMEN WRITERS XD"
>>
>>86784215

That's how something grows. A successful person builds an entertainment company using his talents for humour etc. This is now someone with a proven track record of what "is funny" so it's natural to listen to this guy (yeh usually a white guy who has worked hard, not a women promoted purely based on her gender) women now have everything they need to get where that white guy is, but they don't want to take the hard route. So let's pick people based on their gender and call it fair.

It's like a free mark approach vs a controlled economy. We all know which one works.
>>
And that's why Dave Chapelle is not considered funny by wealthy white people and Louis CK is hated by poor black immigrants.
>>
>>86784215
Not gonna click the link but valid point
>>
>>86784215
It should be illegal for women to write comedy.
>>
how about they create their own shows and hire their own writers instead of sandbagging existing ones
>>
>>86784215
>people talk about how hiring writers should be a meritocracy. The people who say that have never ever thought about what that actually means and where that meritocracy comes from [citation needed]
>the person who is deciding who is the funniest is going to be a white guy [citation needed]
>usually in his 30s or 40s [citation needed]
>middle class or upper middle class [citation needed]
>Someone like that is going to have very specific life experience [citation needed]
>and a specific sense of humor [citation needed]
>A good attempt Mrs. Gao but your lack of verifiable sources and your reliance on inserting your own baseless opinions diminish the credibility of your arguments, see me after class
>>
>>86784759
how about we just kill dan harmon instead

this would literally not be an issue if that GRRM analog was no longer alive
>>
They're right.
>>
>>86784775
Worse yet she doesn't even comprehend that it's the consumer that ultimately decides. This a concept that most people are taught in their childhood by their parents, or at least it used to be.
>>
>>86784603
There is no such thing as a free market or a command economy anymore. China is mixed and so is the western world. We haven't had free market capitalism since the oil and steel monopolies during the robber baron era. Pretty hypocritical to continue to whine about muh free market when we rely on anti trust and virtual government contract monopolies to keep everything going.

We are no different from China except that we needlessly incarcerate more people for petty drug shit and 'tough on crime' politics.

As for humor and 'meritocracy', that's not how entertainment works. Humor is subjective, there is no 'meritocracy' - instead you have mob rule where the lowest common denominator rules. If you have pleb taste in humor you are bound to succeed because you appeal to more mouth-breathers than better comedians and writers. When it comes to writing and entertainment, the underachievers win every time because they appeal to most of the idiots watching TV. That you think the top writers 'earned' anything shows how fucking stupid you are.
>>
>>86784351

Wrong. There are universal elements to humor.
>>
>>86784499
1>2>3>5>4
>writers room
>one writer
yeah sure whatever
>>
>>86784945
No there aren't.
>>
>>86784835
by consumer you mean the target audience
>>
>>86785073
no I mean the consumer, do you not know what target audience means?
>>
>>86784215
>meritocracy is an illusion, as the person judging "merit" is a select group of people

Really not that hard to understand OP
>>
>>86784351

Season 3 isn't good, but it's not because of female writers.
>>
>>86784215

Is there anything lamer than people explaining why you should find their lame shit funny?
>>
>>86784623
Wealthy white people loved David
Just like wealthy white people propelled hip hop into pop music.
>>
>>86784363
It's going to be ruined in 1-2 seasons anyway by Harmon because that's all he does. It happened with Community and R&M, it will happen again.
>>
>>86784215
well seeing how the only people that can watch tv or have internet are middle class or higher, it makes sense donut?
>>
>>86784215
because humor from a woman who gets coddled their whole life, told how great they are, who dont even need humor would be just as funny as the average man
>>
>>86784437
? but it is subjective.
>>
>>86785445
it is subjective to a point but the methodology is objective
>>
>>86785177
I think he was being facetious
>>
>>86784855

I'm aware of how fucked the free market is now, but I'm referring to the time before the crony capitalism you're talking about. So my example still stands.

Your drifting away from the point just so you can make the point that "humour is subjective" and the lowest commen denominator rules? No fucking a shit a child knows that. But within the context of the Adult Swim TV channel, they will have an idea of what humour they want to put out to the stoners and teenagers. Edgy, irreverent, whatever. I'll go back one thing. You are right I don't think many of the writers at AS are talented anymore. However the alternative your suggesting is even worse. Hire a bunch of writers you personally don't find that funny but hope you strike gold because they have lived different "experiences" to the mostly white male demo of AS.

You're the fucking idiot.
>>
>>86784215
>white guys are all dumb and can't get into cultural differences...

I hate whity as much as everyone else but this is a blanket statement and pretty racist...
>>
>>86784215
>Overwhelmingly, the person who is deciding who is the funniest is going to be a white guy, usually in his 30s or 40s who for sure grew up middle class or upper middle class.

Overwhelmingly its middle class white guys that watch R&M. So, why not hire writers that can deliver humor they know and like? Fuck, the only show real niggers watch on CN is DBZ. And Asians? They aint got no time for American Cartoons. Theyre studying to be Rick irl.
>>
>>86784215
yeah it's a show for "white guys in their 30s or 40s". if you don't wanna write for that audience then don't write for a show targeted at that audience. you retard.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.