[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are korean movies so much better written than any hollywood

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 1

File: The-Wailing.jpg (356KB, 1080x1600px) Image search: [Google]
The-Wailing.jpg
356KB, 1080x1600px
why are korean movies so much better written than any hollywood shitflick for the last decade?

They are ahead in esports and now they are about to surpass hollywood. Will south korea become the hollywood of 22th?
>>
>>86720585
This, Korean films have been great the past couple years. I'd make threads about recent movies like villainess, battleship islands and taxi driver but knowing /tv/ it would get no activity because it doesn't relate to capeshit or rotten tomatoes scores. I also wish my country would get more korean films on dvd because it's very rare here.
>>
>>86720585
Korea produces a ton of shit, you just don't hear about it unless you live there.
>>
>>86720585
Hollywood industry is basically just one big tax fraud scam and makes more money off shitty movies than it does off artistic classics regardless of how well the latter does.
Our entertainment industry is rotted from the core, only cure is burning it down and building it again.
>>
Do people still really pretend that The Wailing isn't awful shit? The zombie scene literally gave me second hand embarrassment for the director.
>>
>>86720585
My problem is that they never act like real people in Korean films. Maybe it's the result of their culture being different, but I'm pretty sure it's just that their dialogue and acting is consistently bad.
>>
>>86722138
That's an issue that I usually have with Chinese films. South Korea for the most part have semi-realistic with any issues being the result of translations.
>>
And you choose this fucking shitshow of a movie as an example of a well-written Korean?

>dumbass cop main character never uses his gun, even while in mortal danger. This fucker had a gun--I checked.
>dumbass cop acts like a vigilante throughout the entire movie, never reporting his findings to his superiors
>dumbass cop breaks into Japanese man's house, finds incriminating evidence, and kills the dude's fucking dog with no incident report or consequences whatsoever
>monk saves little girl. Oops, nevermind.
>ghost woman is the evil one and the Japanese man is the good one! Oops, nevermind, the ghost woman was good and the Jap was a demon. Yeah, that little non-twist was totally necessary, right?
>monk is about to die because evil-ghost-woman-who-isn't-actually-evil curses him. Oops, nevermind.
>monk turns out to be evil because why not
>dumbass cop told not to go back to his house by ghost woman, but he goes back anyway because...why exactly? There was no imminent danger whatsoever, so dumbass cop got himself and his family killed because he couldn't wait five fucking minutes

And I am supposed to give a shit about the characters in this overly long, overly convoluted mess of a movie?

By the way, A Tale of Two Sisters suffers from the same problems. Oldboy, The Chaser and I Saw The Devil are wildly improbable and illogical, but they are still enjoyable. Snowpiercer's heroes basically killed everybody on the train so that they could live a shittier life.

The Man from Nowhere and Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance are good, though.
>>
>>86722638

This film really went over your head, didn't it? At least you understood something of it, but you sound like you just want to massively hate it because hey, why not?

You are answering your own questions, the main character IS a dumbass. Not even an average Joe, a dumbass. And that one guy isn't a monk, he's a shaman. Also the evidence vanishes, didn't you watch the movie? They go back there and the pictures are gone.

Why exactly are the plot points you posted bad? The whole idea of the movie is to make you question everyone and provide wrong perspective. And the dumbass protagonist falls for it.

If your family was possibly being killed and a ghost comes to inform you that you shouldn't save them, what would you do? What a stupid ass thing to complain about.

You didn't list problems, you listed your own opinion.
>>
>>86722638
now I can finally understand how stupid people think
>>
>>86721714
this.
and sometimes you do get recommend it by retards on /tv/ who only like films because they are korean.

List of shit korean films i have personally watched:
>Lady Vengeance
>Bedevilled
>Failen
>Friends...
>The Children
>Mother
>>
>>86722638
Half of your points are "dumbass cop"
Well haven't you thought that maybe, just maybe, they are making a point of how actually stupid/incompetent the south korean police is?

Basically every korean film ever portrays the cops as corrupted immensely stupid pigs.
>>
>>86723098
Please explain why was Mother shit to you.
Use actual buzzword-free arguments if possible.
>>
>>86722969
>lol2deep4u

Fuck off. So the cop breaks into a house, finds evidence of murder, and kills the suspect's dog, but tells nobody about it? Nobody says anything to the fucking police? Not even the Jap (after removing all evidence, of course)?

Why was the main character even a cop in the first place? He never uses his gun, never does official investigations (or any policework at all), and never reports to his superiors. If this movie was set in the US, with proper localization, NOBODY would accept that a police officer could possibly be this shitty and moronic. Literally the only excuse for this idiotic plot is "police in South Korea are incompetent lol."

This movie is example of good writing? The cop even joins an angry mob for no reason. YOU'RE A FUCKING COP. ARREST SOMEBODY. TELL THE CHIEF ABOUT THE JAP.

Shit movie.
>>
>>86723107

Cops in South Korea are so bad that they don't remember that they have guns and don't understand how to tell other cops about crucial evidence in an investigation?

It's shitty writing, just like in The Chaser. The cops have to be stupid beyond all reason for these movies to work, and this is an example of good writing? Again, set The Wailing in America and it falls apart, because the plot makes zero fucking sense. "Hey, let's remake Se7en, but make Mills and Somerset absolutely retarded and incapable of following any police procedures whatsoever!"
>>
Oh, I forgot the part where all the police arrive at a murder scene and leave the suspect chilling on his porch with no restraints whatsoever. I guess cops in South Korea don't know how to use handcuffs or guns.

Memories of Murder is a far better examination of the South Korean police than The Wailing will ever be.
>>
>>86723403
What a braindead turboautist ameritard you are.

>Again, set The Wailing in America and it falls apart, because the plot makes zero fucking sense
Ofcourse it would apart because it's portraying South Korean cops, not American ones. How fucking dense are you?
How the fuck do you miss the point that in every single korean films the cops are the bumbling idiots, how? You say that's "bad writing", but then all characters should be bumbling stupid characters, not just the cops exclusively.
>>
>>86723533
While I agree that it's better, Memories of Murder also has a lot of bumbling stupid cops doing bad/incompetent work in the film, why don't you call it "bad writing" there also?
>>
>>86723623

So cops in South Korea don't know how to use guns, arrest people, or file incident reports? Jesus Christ, I should move there and become a serial killer, because the cops are sooo incompetent that don't know how to conduct an investigation on a basic level.

Shitty writing is shitty writing. Suspension of disbelief is gone.
>>
>>86723647

Memories of Murder has a plausible level of incompetence combined with corruption and police brutality. The cops in The Wailing are more unrealistic than the zombies, ghost women, and demons.

Seriously, NOBODY is arrested? No police work is done? Cops have guns they never use even when put in mortal danger? No cop talks to other cops about evidence in an ongoing investigation? The main character would sooner join an angry mob than get his fellow police officers to help? That goes beyond reason. It is illogical to the extreme.
>>
>>86723831
you are really stupid man
>>
>>86723965
And you're a faggot
>>
>>86723137
That was bait the rest was true hehe
>>
>>86723965

Why? Because I don't accept the terrible script of this terrible movie? Because I understand that even the most incompetent cops know that they are cops and are capable of using their service weapons and handcuffs? Is it because I believe that even the most incompetent cop can call for backup and seize incriminating property for evidence?

>South Korean cops are stupid lmfao. Just turn your brain off, bro!
>>
>>86723257

He cannot tell because he doesn't have any evidence about the Japanese guy. Of course he isn't gonna tell anyone about the dog, he would get in trouble.

When they first go into the Japanese guys house and kill the dog, the main character shows great anxiety over it and just wants to flee the scene. It could also be that the demon setup the photos (and the dog) because it knew that he was coming just to fuck with him.

And it's not that every police in incompetent, it's this guy who is incompetent. He's also a village cop, not a city cop, meaning that he has possibly never used his gun in any situation. It is weird that he doesn't use it but it's still in the boundaries of realism. You can't blame human characters for acting human.

And what the hell is he gonna tell people? That there's a Japanese demon living in the mountains? Especially when it's a well known childish rumor around the village? He would be laughed out of the building.
>>
>>86724371

Dude, the police arrive on the scene of multiple homicides, and they just let the suspect chill on his porch with ZERO restraints for an indefinite amount of time. And ALL police officers forgot they had guns, because they let a zombie attack one of their own and tried to stop the attack by hand. No mace, teasers, batons, or guns. Pure stupidity.

And why would the cop get in trouble for the incident with the dog? He could literally just lie aboutwhat happened, arrest the Japanese man, and seize all of his creepy shit, and that would make infinitely more sense than what he did, which was nothing at all.

Why were there any cops in this movie? Nobody in the force knows how to use their guns or handcuffs. Nobody in the force knows how to conduct an investigation even at the most basic level.

I don't even like guns or cops. I don't know shit about guns other than to turn the safety off before firing them. I would, however, try to defend myself or others with a gun when threatened by assailants. Apparently, NOBODY in South Korea knows how a gun works. Nobody in South Korea knows how handcuffs work.

The Wailing is a victim of bad writing on the simplest level. The main character doesn't act like any human being ever would. Why even get to the supernatural shit when the movie fails at its most basic level?
>>
>>86724183
Because you are conditioned to an intellegent detective trope and are confounded by something different. Because you cannot enjoy a film with a protagonist whom you cannot self insert as. The main character is a bumbling idiot. He is also dealing with demons and spooky shit and his daughter being possessed. He is selfish yet compassionate and he is a coward, but overcomes his cowardice out of love for his family. He's a great character. He does not act inconsistently at all.

Furthermore, this is a film, there is a world to the film. It's not our world. The film is satirising Korean police. The first half of it is a black comedy.
>>
>>86724735
I'm sorry, but willingness to shoot someone is not a basic human condition. Most people in the world could not/ would not shoot someone. This might be a difficult concept for an American to grasp.

The zombie stuff is all pretty retarded, a weak point to the film sure, but it's not even a overt life/ death situation.
>>
>>86724913

I am not asking for an "intelligent" police film. I am saying that I'm not buying into this film's horseshit. If you tried to sell me a movie where cops don"t know how to use guns, handcuffs or conduct investigations in any way, I wouldn't accept the movie's premise even if it was a satire.

Everybody in this movie has to be a complete fucking moron for its premise to work. That's not an example of good writing. Period.
>>
>>86723831
Also, on a basic interpersonal level, they establish that his superior officer & other colleagues thinks he's a retard and a pussy. It makes sense that he doesn't take his demon theories to them.
>>
>>86725058
I didn't say you're conditioned to intelligent police films, you're conditioned to unintelligent police films with 'intelligent' protagonists.
>>
>>86725058
>premise
I don't think you know what that word means
>>
>>86725308

It doesn't take an "intelligent" protagonist to realize that he is a fucking police officer, and the cop in The Wailing never does. This movie is one of the most retarded melodramas I have ever seen. It takes itself too seriously despite making zero sense from a human or narrative perspective.

You can keep responding to me and we can keep going back and forth, but I am not going to ignore the glaring flaws in this shit movie. No amount of apologetics is going to get me to accept that the entirety of cops in a village don't know how to use guns, handcuffs or conduct investigations. I would sooner believe in the cliche zombie shit than I would that.

The Wailing is a bad movie, and many South Korean movies are fucking ridiculous. If a movie's plot is so retarded that the only justification for it is that "it's set in <insert country here> where nothing makes sense," then that movie has bad writing.

Star Wars is a more believable film than The Wailing.
>>
>>86725528
you are a poopy brains shitlord
>>
>>86725730

Nice counterargument, fag.

But please, let's get back to how amazing these South Korean flicks are, with their flawless scripts. It doesn't matter how unnecessarily convoluted and unrealistic the movies are, as long as they are South Korean.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.