[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What were the functional purposes of this space station and the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: space station.jpg (43KB, 720x342px) Image search: [Google]
space station.jpg
43KB, 720x342px
What were the functional purposes of this space station and the means of space transit in this film?

The Moon colony seemed to be purely scientific and very small. I don't think there were any other colonies in our solar system in the film's universe either. So why is this station designed like a fancy hotel? Why are there businessmen in suits going to and fro? Why are there luxury stewardesses on the shuttles?

Doesn't make much sense if you think about it, can anyone explain any of this?
>>
That's a hotel.
>>
space hotel m8
>>
>>86694752
>>86694933

But why is it there? Who is it for? Who needs a luxury hotel in space at the level of development humanity is at in the film?
>>
Kubrick was a hack. That's why.
>>
>>86694961
Scientists and politicians.
>>
>>86695025

why would enough politicians be in space to warrant that?
>>
>>86694961
>>86694603
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_spacecraft_from_the_Space_Odyssey_series#Space_Station_V
>At the time of events depicted in the film, it is still under construction with an incomplete second wheel.
Stimulus spending
>>
>>86694961
space tourism will likely be one of the first commercial ventures
>>
I guess there were other places, they just didn't show it.

Suspended animation was considered a common technology suggesting that long distance space transit happened frequently. One of them even mentioned that space travel is a very mundane thing.
>>
Is the assumption you're working on that it's some kind of government/NASA whatever installation?
What if it's some Elon Musk style hyper rich entrepreneur who figured he'd build an orbital hotel for the heck of it and sell tickets for hundreds of thousands/millions?
In that case it doesn't need a functional purpose, or its functional purpose is to be there for people to go to.
>>
>>86695250
>What if it's some Elon Musk style hyper rich entrepreneur who figured he'd build an orbital hotel for the heck of it and sell tickets for hundreds of thousands/millions?
It's literally a Hilton.
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20120712-where-is-hiltons-lunar-hotel
>>
>>86695202
>One of them even mentioned that space travel is a very mundane thing.
>One of them even mentioned

What part of sleeping in your chair and having stewardesses come by and collect your loose pens wasn't obviously mundane? I mean, I'm not saying he didn't say it was mundane, and I'm certainty not saying that isn't valid, but in the first half hour you SEE that it is mundane. Why cite the character saying as such?
>>
can I have the doctors are not required picture. Vibrant shot.
>>
>>86694961
Rich fucks who want to spend their money for THE premier exclusive luxury spot just because they can.
>>
File: 1501198618048.jpg (19KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1501198618048.jpg
19KB, 480x480px
>>86694978
I know he's not on the level of Paul W.S. Anderson but come on anon, try harder than that.
>>
>>86695592
If people didn't need things explaining to them in words, this thread wouldn't exist, neither would most 2001 threads.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.