[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So can someone explain the significance of 'duality'

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: Twin_Peaks_sign.png (1MB, 1401x788px) Image search: [Google]
Twin_Peaks_sign.png
1MB, 1401x788px
So can someone explain the significance of 'duality' in Twin Peaks please?
I always see people go on about it (e.g BOB and MIKE, to Bobby and Mike) but what is the significance? What does it mean thematically? Is it just a gimmick people are impressed by?
>>
I'll bump out of interest
>>
you must be new to mankind. welcome, stranger.
>>
>>86684635
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with Native American mythology that Lynch based the show on.
>>
File: images.png (23KB, 700x1080px) Image search: [Google]
images.png
23KB, 700x1080px
>>86684635
give a hoot. read a book.
>>
>>86684635

There's a lot of things that be said to have dualism or duality in Twin Peaks. Basically every time you have a pair of characters that stand in sharp contrast to one another it's duality, whenever a character has aspects that stand in sharp contrast to the other it's dualism

E.g Leland Palmer, upright lawyer horribly afflicted by the death of his daughter vs Leland Palmer demon possessed incestuous monster rapist is an example of duality.

Dale Cooper, charming, dashing, righteous, cheery FBI agent vs Windom Earle, scheming, cackling mad supervillain fallen FBI agent, is an example of duality.
>>
>>86685817
But in itself it's not interesting.

What's interesting is what this system of dualistic opposition can tell you about the show.

For example, the opposition between Dale and Windom might reflect on a mundane level, the cosmic opposition between white lodge and black lodge and therefore good and evil.

(It's at stupid pedestrian interpretation that I don't subscribe to but it's a simple example of what I mean by organising and interpreting dualistic opposition)
>>
>>86685911

So basically, Duality is a tool in the toolbox of the cultural commenter, its significance depends on what he's trying to achieve in putting forward dualistic elements from the show.
>>
>>86685911
>What's interesting is what this system of dualistic opposition can tell you about the show.
What did you get from the show though? What did the dualism mean to you, and what did it say about the show and the characters in it?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.