[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to See Dunkirk in a theatre >only about three other

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (153KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
153KB, 1280x720px
>go to See Dunkirk in a theatre
>only about three other groups of people go to see it
>one group was a couple with a baby - thank god they left the theatre early (who takes a baby to a film - especially something like Dunkirk?)
>other two groups leave about 2/3 though the film, though
I don't understand, it was a great film - not the kind that one would walk out on. Did people actually think it was bad?
>>
>Yanks don't care about a war film that doesn't involve Murica saving the day

Colour me surprised.
>>
I've been trying to see it, but NO ONE will go with me.
>>
>>86549414
Maybe that's it. How did you know this theatre was in America, though?
>>
>>86549424
>he can't go to the kinoplex on his own

how insecure are you?
>>
>>86549125
i didn't like it that much honestly
>>
>>86549484
Because americans can't stand a ww2 film that isn't about them, also british language. And only americans are stupid enough to think that it's acceptable to bring a baby to a film in the theatre, let alone an extremely loud film set in fucking ww2.
>>
>>86549555
Probably a no singles policy
>>
>>86549125
The reason is simple, people is stupid and simple. Mind you, the movie isn't complex by any standard, but people, specially in america, is used to seeing simple shit like marvel and fast and furious movies. So yeah, most people are simple minded cattle.
>>
>>86549484

because nobody in europe is retarded enough to bring a baby to a fucking WW2 movie
>>
>>86550096
Top kek, I thought I was on /bant/ for a sec.
>>
>>86549414
Didn't know european history was allowed in Europe anymore.
>>
>>86549125
It came out almost a month ago
>>
>>86549608
Me too. It was a nice spectacle for a while but really lacked any narrative, thematic, or emotional hook to keep me interested.

I liked that so much of it was wordless, but it made every instance of Nolan's terrible dialogue that much worse
>>
I saw Silence in a theather with one other guy present. I deliberately look for showings that are likely to have empty theaters.
>>
File: dunkirk.jpg (310KB, 849x565px) Image search: [Google]
dunkirk.jpg
310KB, 849x565px
>>
When I went to see it, literally half the audience was old war vets. They talked about their war stories afterwards, it was nice.
>>
>>86550936
>>86550799
capeshitters detected.
>>
>>86550968
>movie is literally just really well made explosions and loud noises with no character or meaning behind it
>capeshitters are the ones that don't like it
>>
>>86550948
>literally half the audience was old war vets.
Bullshit
>>
>>86550342
for such an intellectual as yourself you sure can't type for shit
>>
>>86551017
>with no character or meaning behind it
I rest my case retard
>>
But how did he shoot down the stuka when only few meters of the ground and out of gas?
>>
>>86550845
what did you think of it? i loved it all,scorsese sure knows how to keep such a slow paced movie interesting(i didn't like the slow motion trampling by spiderman though,came off a little pretentious)
>>
>>86550562
Can the US even teach European history since it contains white people?
>>
>>86550968
Nope, just someone who wants to get entertained. Dunkirk reminds me of something youd "watch" in history class. Which is fine if you like that sort of thing I guess, Im just not going to pretend it doesnt bore the shit out of me so anonymous people on the internet think im cool.
>>
When I went to see it, literally half the audience was old WW1 vets. They talked about their war stories afterwards, it was nice.
>>
>>86551185
love this banter
>>
>>86551201
>Nope, just someone who wants to get entertained. Dunkirk reminds me of something youd "watch" in history class

You aren't helping your case right now.
>>
>>86549125
Surprisingly, only two couples left when I watched. But of course some people were complaing about the lack of dialogue etc.
>>
>>86551156

It was too long, but I thought it was good. I thought it was a poignant film.
>>
>>86551115
Everyone in that film is a stock type, I'm not even sure any of the soldiers had names

>scared, out of their depth kids who behave cowardly under pressure
>good village chap wants to be in the local paper
>the other kid who doesn't die
>stiff upper lip dad
>serious officer who *TWIST* has a conscience and stays behind
>faceless professional pilots
>a shameless coward. The one interesting character who gets the least amount of attention
>>
>>86551231
why he just repeated the same thing i said.
>>
>>86550845
>I deliberately look for showings that are likely to have empty theaters
this
>>
>>86551202
did the ww1 vets talk about being in mustard gas attacks too?seems real nasty(must've been tough encountering new tech such as tanks for the first time)
>>
>>86551144
He was high up before his engine turned off, as he said "to come down on the bastards". Then he was gliding, saw a Stuka coming and turned around to get it by surprise. Only then he lost a lot of altitude and was gliding extremely low, which is the reason why he couldn't parachute out either.
Actually hitting the Stuka at first try and bringing him immediately down was a bit pushing I admit, but not entirely implausible.
>>
>>86551274
>I'm not even sure any of the soldiers had names
they didn't. Congratulations on almost getting it, moron. This isn't even that deep of a movie, it is Nolan after all.
>>
>>86551325
That's what I'm saying dumbass, it isn't deep at all and I lost interest in the climax because I don't care about these characters outside of general empathy to not see people killed.
>>
>>86551269
yeah,i do agree that it was too long,also kichijiro's actor was a way too over the top,especially in the beginning if you ask me
>>
>>86551017
What about Rylance's son coming to understand what stoicism is? Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a succesful retreat? Hardy coming to understand personal sacrifice for a greater good?
Character is done through action, not just reciting lines. Also Nolan has said consistently that he wanted minimal character details to emphasise the situation these people were in, the event itself is the focus here not character
's backstory and their sweethearts waiting at home.
>>
>>86551383
you don't even need to know a characters name to care about them,you only find out the bride's name in kill bill at the end of the 2nd film
>>
>>86550146
A what?
>>
>>86550728
This

For fucks sake OP is a complete faggot as usual
>>
>>86551305
He was already gliding at low altitude when the navy officers position was threatened by two stukas bomb diving. He literally pulls up in the movie to one shot the stuka from below.
>>
File: Wut 1.jpg (93KB, 726x675px) Image search: [Google]
Wut 1.jpg
93KB, 726x675px
>>86549125

>Going to a theater that allows people to bring infants

This was your first mistake.
>>
>>86551560
Right? what kind of pleb theater doesn't have a daycare?
>>
2 out of the 3 stories were fucking shit

the dogfighting was boring and not realistic at fucking all

and the ground story was a loop of
sit on beach
duck and get bombed (while people fly around doing sommersaults with zero gore lel)

how the fuck did this get such praise? The boat story was the only decently planned out, directed, and paced with real grip.
>>
>>86551538
I vividly remember the shot from Tom Hardy's plane looking down on the beach, it was way up showing the entire stretch of the beach. Also it was a single Stuka at the end, not two of them.
>>
>>86551599
Boring is not a valid argument, it only says what your mood was while watching the film.
Same as saying "it was fun", that does not indicate anything about the actual quality of the film whatsoever.
>>
>>86551503
How do you not know about it, all modern cinema chains have it. You just probably never saw it implemented, they are pretty subtle about it but it's really embarassing, flashing the single guy with the flashlight and taking him "to the manager".
I make sure to always take a womens jacket with me, place it on my arm and I just say to the ticket guy that my lady is just at the bathroom. Just don't do this too often.
>>
>>86551683
okay here is a better word for it

not memorable. When your air choreography is a combination of the same fucking slow left/right turn and "oh no he's on my tail, get him for me" and a lack of leading shots in a supposedly realistic ww2 film, you have succeeded in creating a piece of shit that is not memorable, but instead, slogging scenes that despite being about flying machines with guns on them that regularly battled one another, with so much information about techniques, battle tactics, and possible situations that could fill 4 encyclopedias, are uneventful as shit

better?
>>
>>86551740
Can confirm this, don't go to the cinema on penis inspection day
>>
>>86551440
>What about Rylance's son coming to understand what stoicism is?
Where did he learn anything? We get an explanation for Rylance's stoicism late in the film but the kid should know full well why his dad is determined to save someone after his brother was killed. He shows a bit of character in not giving up Murphy as a murderer and coward, and doing a nice thing for his friend with the newspaper but that was too brief. I would have rather scene a film about cowardice and stolen valor (the kid was not a hero for falling down some stairs like the paper says).

>Styles coming to understand that there is something to praise in a successful retreat?
Styles was the kid they meet on the evac ship mess hall, right? The one who tried to throw a kid overboard? I don't remember him having a problem with retreating, they seemed to be eager to leave

>Hardy coming to understand personal sacrifice for a greater good?
He was lying about his fuel levels the whole film to keep up with his team.
>>
>>86549424
this stupid meme need to end
>>
>>86551280
>this easily assmad
>>
>>86551884
>Where did he learn anything?
First he is angry at the shellshocked Cillian and yelling at him that George is not allright. He is also shown how scared he is of him in that scene where he locks him in that below deck small room. And then when George dies and Cillian acts him again "Will the boy be allright?" he finally comes to understand the situation that telling him the reality would only fuck him up for the rest of his life and would gain nothing from it so he sucks it up and tells him a lie so he can live with himself. Stoicism.

>I would have rather scene a film about cowardice and stolen valor (the kid was not a hero for falling down some stairs like the paper says).
That's not cowardice, that's reality. Also the "stupid" way he dies is the point of that whole scene and the character of George. Nolan used it to show the juxtaposition of a senseless and pointless death of the boy with the senseless and pointless deaths of the soldiers on the other side. To show that not all "war heroes" are the usual true heroes we all imagine them to be.

>I don't remember him having a problem with retreating
He literally goes on a whole rant how much of fucking failure pussies they are for retreating, he even mistakes a blind man for a man who can't look at him straight.

>He was lying about his fuel levels the whole film to keep up with his team.
Nowhere is he lying, he was constantly on the verge of coming back or saving himself. He basically constantly sacrificed himself to save others, he could've just turned back when he was at 15 gallons of fuel (like his orders were) but he chose to shoot down that last bomber. Then he could've just parachuted out of his plane when he ran out of fuel, but he chose to do a 180 and hunt down that last Stuka to save the others. Then he lands his plane and immediately blows it up so the germans can't copy their technology. Sacrifice.
>>
>>86551531
I didn't expect the theatre to be full. What I was more surprised by was the fact that people were walking out.
>>
>>86551836
>lack of leading shots in a supposedly realistic ww2 film
The Spitfire pilots rarely got into turn wars in this movie. They just tried to get immediately behind the enemy planes, so they wouldn't be leading shots.
>>
>>86549414
>OBSESSED
>>
>>86549414
No one saved the day. The Germans showed you tea slurpers mercy.
>>
Was the largest aerial battle of WW2
>4 or 5 planes
Was nearly 300 civilian boats coming to aid soldiers in glorious effort
>20 boats
Civilians volunteered to help with their boats
>captain has to quickly debark before conscripted by military
Going to fill boat with those that need rescue
>glass skull kid jumps on board taking up space
Interesting silent duo make attempts to escape beach
>only character attachment of worth dissolves into nothing in limp hi-i'm-dutch scenario

For all these complaints (and I have more), I still give it a 7.5/10. Nolan directs some of it very well. It is a good war movie but not one of the greats. The battle deserved more historic accuracy (I know about the vets testimonies. They attest to the "feelings" they got on the beach which Nolan captured well ... NOT the events)
>>
>>86554196
The air narrative takes place in one hour, the sea narrative in one day and the land narrative in one week.
All of your numbers are total numbers considering the entire battle of Dunkirk. It's safe to say there were only a few Spitfires and/or Stukas flying in one hour or at one moment, not hundreds of them.
You are implying like Dunkirk was a big one day battle of 50 Stukas vs 50 Spitfires while 40 Destroyers are having trouble of transporting all the people so they need 900 more boats to get them safe, not a week long battle.

And no, most civilians didn't volunteer to help with their boats, their had to give the boats to the navy so they can use them for transport. The vast majority of the "civilian boats" were sailed by navy men, not regular old people. That's why Rylance was quickly trying to get off so the navy guys don't reach him (and because his son has died in the war so he has a strong will to help the soldiers)
Feel free to list the rest of your complaints.
>>
>>86554565
>The vast majority of the "civilian boats" were sailed by navy men, not regular old people
In this single regard, I stand chastised. I stand by my other complaints.
>>
>>86554765
>Critically, the worst day the RAF had at Dunkirk they lost 30 fighters. Weather and a lack of intensity are to blame.
That's their worst DAY, which has 24 hours. In the film Dunkirk we follow three Spitfire for one hour and all three of them go down. What's historically inacurrate here?

https://weaponsandwarfare.com/2015/09/17/operation-dynamo-air-operations-at-dunkirk-1940/
>>
>>86551740
Is this just an American thing?
>>
>>86555211
It's pretty much universal for every first world country.
You're either going to an old dying local cinema or you just never saw it implemented. I would be careful next time if I were you, it's not a pleasent experience at all.
>>
>>86555420
I'm from the UK and I must admit I've never seen it implemented but then if I recall I don't think I've ever been to a cinema alone.

That said I just feel like I would have noticed it in small print or something. I mean there was a guy on his own behind me in an IMAX just last month.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.