[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

At what age is it time to give up the dream of being a filmmaker

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 13

File: b3b.jpg (33KB, 600x573px) Image search: [Google]
b3b.jpg
33KB, 600x573px
At what age is it time to give up the dream of being a filmmaker if you haven't already made it?
>>
when your hair starts falling out.
>>
>>86495105
When you start posting on 4chan.
>>
Didn't Kurosawa start in his 30s?
>>
>>86495105
that guy is what i imagine every one of you looks like.
>>
>low quality youtuber thinks he's a filmmaker
OH NO NO NO
>>
>>86495105
when you're in a special education school
>>
>>86495105
just be yourself
>>
> Most of them started so they can achieve exposure and transfer to making real films
> Still stuck reviewing films on YouTube after a decade with no hope of improving

Kek
>>
>>86495105
>>
around the time that chucks suck and fuck got renamed to sneeds feed and seed
>>
>>86495267
And you're here in a Mongolian basket weaving organization website that reviews how the latest Rick and Morty episode was complete shit.
Point is, at least he is doing something with his life and making money off it.
>>
>>86495176
most directors begin doing features in their 30s
>>
>>86495105
It's not an age, it's a feeling
James boxed himself in a corner by being the AVGN for so many years. When he tired to make a film, it's obvious his skills could not branch out.
If you want to make films: make films.
If you want to be funny video game youtube man: I'm sorry.
>>
File: IMG_8631.jpg (135KB, 796x796px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8631.jpg
135KB, 796x796px
>>86495105
Right around here
>>
>>86495193
LMAO HAHAHAHAHHAHAHA fuck you

>that WAS a good though, fo'reals. Teared up a lil
>>
>>86495105
There is no such age, but James will never become a real filmmaker. He has no interest in real film, or culture, or theatre like most real filmmakers.
>>
36. still haven't given up. tried making a short film, but it wasn't accepted to the festival. but at least I got an IMDB credit.
Though I have no idea how to make any other film right now. I might be getting evicted. Don't follow your dreams kids. make money first. dreams are secondary.
>>
>>86495593
post short
>>
>>86495105

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxGRhd_iWuE
>>
>>86495193
Say that to my face, motherfucker. I'll polish my bald spot and fucking blind you.
>>
Quentin made his break through late 20s? The guy RLM shat directed his first film at 35, prior to that he only made short films.
>>
>>86495665
James never made a short film. His shitty home movies don't count.
>>
>>86495622
I would but its on withoutabox right now. I haven't linked it to imdb for streaming yet. at least I dont think its linked. guess I should d get around to that.
>>
>>86495366
he's also showcasing his dead dreams for the whole world
>>
>>86495593
>Don't follow your dreams kids. make money first. dreams are secondary.

You say that like you can't do both. Nolan and Tarantino worked on their film during weekends throughout several years.
>>
If you ask questions such as, "At what age is it time to give up the dream of being a filmmaker if you haven't already made it?", I have some bad news. You've already given up.
>>
>>86495665
>marrying before 25
lmao you just know this was made by a boomer
>>
>>86495787
>worked on their film during weekends
this is them putting their dreams second to their paying job.

I made the mistake of not working and just studying, while trying to actually make something. fuck, even went to college (on scholarship thankfully) but I should have just went to work again instead.

if you can do both, go for it.
>>
>>86495716
Sorry I fucked up that post.
Meant to say the guy RLM just shat on their recent review, David Sandberg, directed his first film at 35. Prior to that he only made short films.

But putting aside James home movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQe9sTnEIPY

This is as much of a short film as any.
>>
>>86495105
Be rational. Age doesn't really matter. What matters is if you have capital to make movies or know someone who is willing to give you capital. If you have rich parents, a rich relative, or your generally good at talking and convincing people, then there isn't really a limit age wise.
>>
>>86495895
Hell yeah
>>
>>86495973
of course I deleted the post after I thought there was no interest.
Give me a few minutes to upload it.
>>
>>86495843
>this is them putting their dreams second to their paying job.

Keep in mind this was during the 90s and indie fillmmakers shot on 16mm film, which is expensive. So they really did have to work all week to make money to buy the film stock for the weekend. Making sure you don't get evicted IS part of following your dream as you can't follow your dream if you are homeless. At least not with something like filmmaking which is a fairly expensive art form. Or at least it was.
>>
>>86495105
>wasting $500.000 on a shitty unfunny Youtube video
>>
>>86495992
How long ago did you make this?
>>
>>86496055
february. It was a miracle it even got made. it was the only nice day in the winter before it was raining every day and the temps went back to freezing.
>>
>>86496109
Eagerly awaiting the link
>>
>>86496178
about 15 minutes left.
>>
>>86495193

why ? because you look like him too ?
>>
>>86496235
no because im an attractive normie
>inb4 post face
>>
>>86495105
james doesn't come on here. i know him. but there is legit no age limit to being a filmmaker. unlike pop music where there is a age cap ot make it, you can be awesome at any age in film. the same goes for non-pop music, you can be any age.

OP don't worry about your age, just make good films if that's what you want to do. unless you're james, then, well... you've already imbedded yourself as a character and you need to keep going with it. and you're rich, you spoiled faggot, even your shitty nerd movie that was complete horse shit made money, despite being negative 1 star terrible.

so there's hope for the rest of us. at least none of us are james, amirite?
>>
>>86496305
What's the age limit for pop music?
>>
>>86496304
post face i bet youre a 6/10 max
>>
>>
His new AVGN video was good. The thing is though, you know it's not what he really wants to do. You can see it in his eyes, that he's sick of doing the Nerd. He wants to make a full length feature film and the AVGN movie bombed so it kind of crushed his dreams. I feel like he's dead inside.
>>
>>86496493
This kind of thinking is so stupid. He's made enough money to ride out the AVGN piggy bank for the rest of his life. If he really hated doing it he'd stop.
>>
>>86495105
I'd say most MAKE it in their 30's, some didn't until their 40's. Really, never ever, there's not enough good stories told remember that. And we're entering an era of a MASSIVE DEMAND for content. So even if you can't write too well, at least be prolific. This is coming from a guy who is in his mid twenties who has already produced and written two feature lengths features that have had limited distribution.

If I can do it, anyone can. Currently directing a music video, working on commercial for a massive company, and shooting a TV pilot in a few weeks.

You gotta really want it and hustle.
>>
Follow your dreams Anon. I am 23 and I just started doing standup comedy. Many people think that is way too late to even think about starting but fuck them!
>>
>>86495105
mid 40s
>>
>>86495105
The AVGN movie proved that james has zero desire to improve as a film maker and is perfectly okay with forever producing content in the same style and time-relative equivalent production values as when he was literally 11 years old

He's got zero respect or dignity
>>
Here's my short. Its literally the first production I've ever done, with zero help except for my mom holding the camera because I forgot to bring the tripod mount.

Its more a proof of concept, wondering can I do it. and I hoped to get into a festival in LA but it wasn't accepted. Making a film even when its short is really difficult without help.but it does make you look important as fuck. People were asking me to take their picture everywhere.

I even saw a local celebrity jared polin. So even if its not the best film (it might be boring) I think I did ok. I figure I'm only 26 and can try again later, if my family can get their shit together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ZsCC9UqV0&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>86496515
>If he really hated doing it he'd stop.
its easy money and he needs it.
>>
>>86495349
BASED
A
S
E
D
>>
>>86496602
>voiceover
It's an immediate no from me. I'm a script reader and any time a script begins with a voiceover, I trash it
>>
>>86496522
>You gotta really want it and hustle.
its making connections and getting a production crew (if the client isnt producing) to even make the project a reality.

Philly sucks for filmmakers. unless you really want to make rap videos in shady parts of town.
>>
It's not too late, you can start anon - but you have to start now. Don't put it off till tomorrow or next week - start now, and keep going. You genuinely can make it and start doing features in Hollywood, I did and we need more passionate storytellers with new ideas.

I believe in you.
>>
>>86496602
Its shit mate.
>>
>>86496647
lol its all voiced over.

I can totally understand that tho. I wanted a more narrative film with dialogue but it proved to be too challenging for me. Hard to do it with no friends or no money to hire anyone.
>>
>>86496704
Do a silent film. Silence is better than voiceover. Voiceover is one of the worst ways of conveying your story possible.
>>
>>86496716
Silent film? that would be interesting. maybe I'll try and do that next time. would be a nice challenge to convey a story through action than words. thanks.
>>
>>86496661
Yeah I found I was super good at producing and making connections early on.
I think people really need the personality for it.
There aren't enough producers out there, or people trying to be producers and elevate better artists.

Also please avoid VO in film, try harder, work harder, you are better than that anon.
>>
>>86496693
care to tell me why you think that?
>>
>>86496704
keep at it, at least it cuts together. I've seen worse shit with budgets.

dont try and be so pompous with the dialogue and work around voice over.

on another note --
i get sent scripts all the time and almost all of them are awful. i find it really really sad actually. people pour tons of time and sometimes their heart into it. but they never realized just how awful it was.
>>
>>86496767
>please avoid VO in film
is there ever a time for vo?
(yeah I know my voice sucks)

and yeah I'm definitely going try it again. hopefully with actual actors next time.
>>
>>86496813
>dont try and be so pompous with the dialogue
lol I was trying to be uplifting for the most part. guess I've been on 4chan too long.

Also,Why is voice over so discouraged. I know it can work in certain situations. obviously a 5 minute short film might not, but when?
>>
>>86496854
it just has to be SO good the dialogue, and maybe the context is unique and artfully done.

not for the sake of telling the story in a lazy fashion more it contributes to the overall narrative.

i would advise only ever producing another film or even script with VO only after you've made a few shorts or even a feature. got accepted into a few festivals, etc. gained some respect, so people won't tune out instantly.

NEVER start a story with it, or end one. (i mean not really but just keep it outta your head for a while)

Advice - find a film facebook group, a professional one, not one filled with shitty nobodies promoting their shit. go in there and humbly and nicely ask if anyone can help you with feedback on a script who is experienced or a produced writer. (someone legit not some other guy whose made a short film aka they write for a living)

get two professional writers to critic it, then some filmmaker friends you know and RESPECT and have done more than you to give you feedback.
then friends and family.

CONTENT IS KEY.
IS IT A COMPLETE STORY?

Surround yourself with filmmakers you WISH you were. Like real commercial producers etc.
>>
>>86497016
dont waste youur time with people are YOUR level who want the same stuff as you. they'll slow you down and unless you collab super well.
>>
>>86496602
This reminds me of barneys short movie in the simpsons lol
You are ugly bro. No homo bug u needed a hotter guy for me to care.

The style of the short is nice and the idea behind it is pretty good overall.
But i didnt teally connect with your face or voice.
U truly have what it takes to be a director. Great idea and good set up. As well as needing to stay behind the camera
>>
>>86497016
>contributes to the overall narrative
I see. I relied to heavily on VO to convey the story instead of the character. I should have flipped it.

This is great advice. thank you. I'll keep it in mind for my next project. and I'll see if I can check out some groups.
>>
>>86497102
>As well as needing to stay behind the camera
thanks....

Guess that's why I'm still single. I rather direct and produce anyway. Never thought I could be a leading man but never hurts to try. Plenty of dudes who are ugly and are actors.
>>
>>86497160
Well im just another ugly guy lol. So my opinion is not an accurate one.

I didnt even mind the voice over. It was uplifting. I liked the message.

I know it was hard to share ur hard work with us. So for me the work was good.

As a nin faggot on an annonymous board im just saying i would have cared more or be more engaged if u had a better looking actor in it.
I dont know, maybe ive been conditioned to expect that
>>
>>86497266
"Non" faggot i meant

Who knows you could become the next al pacino.

There was just something about u i felt non trustworthy or uncomfortable

I say ugly but like i say im not a fag.
Maybe lack of confidence

Something about u that makes me feel weird, something uninviting
>>
>>86497266
I can get that. Maybe people are expecting more typical hollywood types in most media. That's why I didn't get too offended by your comment. I'm guilty of doing that too sometimes. I mean never though beiber was anything special but people seemed to like him a lot. I'll deal with my looks later. lol

Thanks for watching and giving feedback. every little bit helps.
>>
>>86495105
did you photoshop this please tell me james isnt that bald i will be sad
>>
never...just you have to have another means of income to keep yourself afloat.
>>
>>86497321
damn. all of that. fuck I really have to work on that. thanks.

>Maybe lack of confidence
maybe. I was nervous being on camera. and I usually have social anxiety wit strangers. But people seem to be nice to me when 'm just being myself. Maybe I need acting classes.

Its weird how people see you on film. its like things you cant see for yourself until someone points it out.
>>
>>86497111
Exactly. Here's a challenge man, next film, tell a story with little to no dialogue, no more than one or two characters in one location.
Limitations MAKE you become inventive.
>>
File: 1410418899219.webm (3MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
1410418899219.webm
3MB, 1080x608px
>>86497417
It got pretty bad when he was filming the movie and was stressed out on no sleep, but it's much better now, probably started taking propecia.
>>
>>86497557
>tell a story with little to no dialogue
yeah, I'm going to brainstorm some ideas that might be filmable. I might have to check out some universities because I'm not sure I can be the lead while directing without looking weird. lol

Maybe I should ease into acting with some side characters once I'm able to have a more stable production.
>>
>>86497102
>>86497321
>i didnt teally connect
now that I think about it maybe this is what kept it from being accepted. That and maybe they've seen enough shorts with VOs as their thing . (I've seen so many shorts that are solely VO)
Just have to do better next time. and work on my looks or style or face or something lol.
>>
>>86497160
you have nice features mate just need to lose some weight in the face
also it was above average for what stuff like that usually is
>>
>>86498014
hey thanks anon. I'm working on losing some weight and keeping it off. Philly winters bloat me up.
>>
>>86496647
why?
>>
File: wut.png (194KB, 366x488px) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
194KB, 366x488px
>>86497266
>nin faggot
>>
>>86497648
It's a huge comb over you moron, he was balding af even before the movie
>>
>>86498364
It's hair regrowth. Nothing is being combed over.
>>
>>86498055
>Philly winters bloat me up.
Ah yes, the winters.
Not the forty big macs you eat in one sitting.
>>
File: 1502012420666.jpg (11KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1502012420666.jpg
11KB, 200x200px
>>86498880
Holy shit you're a dumb motherfucker.
>>
>>86498978
I don't know if you're trolling or just stupid, but that picture is several years old. James has hair regrowth since then.
>>
File: 1501397413072.jpg (302KB, 2040x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1501397413072.jpg
302KB, 2040x2048px
>tfw have wanted to become a director ever since I've been a kid
>tfw i will probably never reach that dream, and if i did, the results wouldn't be good
I've accepted my fate, but I still relate to James heavily
>>
>>86498970
I eat way too much pizza actually.
I usually get more exercise in the summer and its easier to get a caloric deficit then.

people think I lift weights in the summer but in the winter, sweaters don't do me any favors.
>>
>>86495366
Calm down, you're projecting quite hard.
>>
>>86495105
>still mad
>>
>>86495267
Modern Hollywood is a scam. Only (((certain people))) still perpetuate the myth that success or failure in the industry is a factor of talent.
>>
>>86495193
Fuck off Amy.
>>
>>86499019
That pic is from the Paperboy video, only a year ago
>>
>>86495105
When you need to ask this question on zambian sandcastle building forum
>>
>>86496602

Sort your audio out, that voiceover sounds ugly and that's nothing to do with the delivery (which also needs more conviction and dynamics).

Shots of someone walking through a city aren't interesting. We all do that every day. What are your shots actually saying? They're being descriptive rather than suggestive.

Be lyrical in the way you arrange and edit shots. You could have put so much more into that. This short film looks like a day's work.

The line "I'm not cut from their cloth" you could have had him making a t-shirt and cutting a cloth and having this implied rather than said with the voiceover. Shit like that dude.

Structurally, use the music to help it along. What you've got has no dynamics or movement. There's no sense of traction or development sonically.
>>
>>86500906
>The line "I'm not cut from their cloth" you could have had him making a t-shirt and cutting a cloth
top heh
>>
File: heh.png (1MB, 1500x1357px) Image search: [Google]
heh.png
1MB, 1500x1357px
>>86500906
>>
File: FaceApp_1502971488306.jpg (72KB, 604x547px) Image search: [Google]
FaceApp_1502971488306.jpg
72KB, 604x547px
Help me Mike
>>
File: FaceApp_1502971657040.jpg (110KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
FaceApp_1502971657040.jpg
110KB, 512x512px
>>86501888
Ryan was a mistake
>>
>>86501888
>>86501976

moar
>>
>>86501888

>2050
>The Angry Vidya Game Grampa
>cough, cough. NES kids! Cough cough
>>
>>86501976
ronald reagan?
>>
>>86495787
Were talking about succesfull film makers, what tarantino has to do with them?
>>
>>86495193

Wrong I'm a spic
>>
>>86495176
Ridey Scott made his first movie in his 40's
>>
>>86496542
standup comedy is ufunny 100% of the time,stop now before you'll forever be remembered for being cringey
>>
>mfw started making youtube videos in 2007
>started making better quality videos and animations in 2010 but gave up
>I was 14 then
Is it too late to start making videos?
>>
>>86498287
not him but its a cheap way of delivering exposition,it works better in character studies(american psycho,clockwork orange,taxi driver...)than in something like this
>>
>>86496926
use it to get inside a charcters head from a first person perspective(you did that somewhat right but the writen was pretty predictable) and for comedic effect.
example:
>There is an idea of a Patrick Bateman; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there.
>>
File: 1494650165093.jpg (39KB, 636x651px) Image search: [Google]
1494650165093.jpg
39KB, 636x651px
>>86495105
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XacN05uJY00&t=235

;_;
>>
>>86503011
>"Beaners. hehehe. beans. beans make you fart."
>>
>>86495267
The worst thing is that the spergs you look up to them want to be just like them and then make their own shitty videos. It's a never-ending cycle
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.