[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/tv/ is better than this right? http://nypost.com/2017/08/1

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

/tv/ is better than this right?

http://nypost.com/2017/08/16/millennials-dont-really-care-about-classic-movies/

We all watch the classics, right?
>>
>>86493805
>black and white shit
grandpa it's time to stop posting
>>
>>86493805
I do but I'm Gen. Z. My favorite actor is Maurice Chevalier.
>>
Millennials don’t really care about classic movies

It appears that the “Golden Age of Cinema” has lost its sheen to the young over the years, as millennials are turning their back on classic movies.

A new study finds that less than a quarter of millennials have watched a film from start to finish that was made back in the 1940s or 50s and only a third have seen one from the 1960s.

Thirty percent of young people also admit to never having watched a black and white film all the way through – as opposed to 85 percent of those over 50 – with 20 percent branding the films “boring.”

A new survey polling 1,000 millennials and 1,000 Americans over the age of 50 conducted by FYE.com, reveals that looking back into the history of cinema isn’t the preference of youth today, with millennials exponentially more likely to have binged on films of the last 15 years than on classics from bygone eras.

Less than half of millennials have seen the likes of “Gone with the Wind,” “The Sound of Music,” “To Kill a Mockingbird,” or even “The Shawshank Redemption” — rated the greatest film of all time on IMDB.
>>
>>86493865
Only 28 percent have seen “Casablanca,” 16 percent have watched “Once Upon a Time in the West” and only a measly 12 percent have seen the Hitchcock classic “Rear Window” – though the director’s “Psycho” fares moderately better at a rate of 38 percent.

On the other side of things, some over-50s appear to have the tendency to stick to their old classics and ignore new cinema altogether with one in ten admitting they aren’t sure if they have seen a film newer than 2010 – and eight percent straight up saying no, they have not.

And while millennials believe that movies have only gotten more entertaining over time, 30 percent admit to having felt social pressure to lie that they have seen an old classic in its entirety – compared to just three percent of over-50s.

“There is so much out there in terms of classic cinema that sometimes it can seem overwhelming, but today it is easier than ever to catch up on the classics – or the newest blockbusters – in whatever form you may prefer,” says Bill Miller, VP of DVD/Blu-ray Sales at FYE. His company is focusing on “engaging the fan that’s very loyal.” That can mean looking at niches and franchises with rabid followings and bringing in more products in those areas.

There is even a disparity in genres between the generations, with millennials twice as likely to choose horror as their top favorite and over-50s more than twice as likely to pick westerns.

Millennials are also twice as likely to not be bothered by too much gore or too much nudity than the older group.

But the older generation and the younger one don’t differ on every front, as the research reveals that when it comes to what exactly makes a movie a classic, they are in complete agreement. Both say that the top qualities of a classic film are a great plot, staying relatable over time and containing memorable scenes or quotes.
>>
>>86493892
As for how the different ages enjoy their films, it appears that streaming services are still largely a favorite of the young, with 72 percent of millennials naming it as a common way they watch movies, as opposed to just 30 percent of people over 50.

Younger people are also more likely to enjoy films in the theater, on DVD or Blu-ray, or illegally downloaded online. They were only topped by over-50s when it comes to watching films on cable or TV.

Millennials are also considerably more finicky when it comes to picture quality, as they were found to be twice as likely as over-50s to say that they tend to only watch things in HD.

“We want to offer fans movies they love in any format, DVD, Blu-ray, 3D, and 4K and whatever may come next” Miller said. “We have taken steps to almost reinvent ourselves, tying into a lot of the product categories and franchises that our customers have loved, expanding into consumer products that appeal to millennials… while also going after the fan who has been a customer for a long time and taking them to the next level.”
>>
File: BioShock.png (642KB, 1024x1325px) Image search: [Google]
BioShock.png
642KB, 1024x1325px
>>86493805
give me some decopunk any day of the week
>>
>racist old white garbage

literally don't care
>>
>>86493805
MIllenials this millenials that someone hit me in the head with a whiffle ball bat
>>
Just look at /tv/, where the average age I'm convinced is 16, the oldest film most people have seen is probably the original Star Wars. I laugh whenever /tv/ tries to say we're superior to any other movie forum since this board has the exact same obsession with modern blockbusters as every other major forum and the exact same response when older films are brought up, "dated", "boring", "doesn't hold up". Because to most users here and other users on other sites if a film from the fucking 40s doesn't play to their inflexible modern sensibilities it's bad. Fuck plebs man.
>>
>>86493805
Plebs gonna pleb what else is new?
>>86493865
>less than half of millenials have seen "To Kill A Mockingbird" and "Shawshank Redemption"
I'm calling bullshit on that. They show those in school.
>>
>>86494584
>but you only watch old movies because you're a tryhard that wants people to think you're smart
You share a board with a lot of people that unironically believe this
>>
File: 1395988220302.png (345KB, 631x478px) Image search: [Google]
1395988220302.png
345KB, 631x478px
the women in classic films all seem to have similar, sharper facial features. why do we see less actresses that look like this nowadays?
>>
>>86494584
Noone pretends this is a smart board though. This board has literal crossposters from 9gag and Reddit.
>>
>>86493805
I love the classic films, but most people I know don't. On the one hand, I always am able to recommend movies to people, but I come across as a sperg when they aren't interested in a movie like The Rules of the Game.
>>
>>86493865
>>86493892
I was born in 1983, I've watched all of the films you mentioned and found all of them extremely boring.
>>
>>86493865
>A new study finds
into the trash
>>
>>86493805
Tbh I'm 20 and my favorite movies are generally Classic Hollywood movies from the 30s to the 60s. On the other hand, I find it hard to get into arthouse and foreign films.
>>
File: grace kelly kiss.webm (3MB, 1790x1080px) Image search: [Google]
grace kelly kiss.webm
3MB, 1790x1080px
Waifu's were better then.
>>
>>86493805
> tfw wake up at the usual 3-4 am
> turn on Movies4Men
> tfw watch some classic black and white Kino
>>
>>86493805
>We all watch the classics, right?
I'm a film noir fanatic so yes although probably not the "classics" as they would identify them. Millenials don't understand or care for writing I mean they can barely speak decent english so it's hardly surprising that they just want MUH VISCERAL EXPERIENCE. The only good thing about millenials is the likelihood we get to watch them die in the upcoming collapse and war.
>>
>>86495260
would be more erotic if they made you wear a cuckcage
>>
>>86494749
different beauty standards.
actresses were also slimmer
the same way a lot of leading men were well above average height and thin: James Stewart, Gary Cooper, Cary Grant, Henry Fonda
>>
>>86495678
>actresses were also slimmer
compared to the podium Auschwitz victims that we have today
>>
>>86494663
You'd be surprised how many self professed cinephiles hold this belief. They could have seen thousands of films from the 21st century but under 100 from before 1960.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.