[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't know if this is the worst best picture winner I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: Out-of-Africa-Gallery-5.jpg (329KB, 800x445px) Image search: [Google]
Out-of-Africa-Gallery-5.jpg
329KB, 800x445px
I don't know if this is the worst best picture winner I've seen but it certainly is the most milquetoast. Truly a terrible experience.

That aside, Sydney Pollack hasn't made a single good movie.
>actually winning best director for this
>>
This is one of those "movies men don't understand" kinos
>>
>Out of Africa
>features a white """"""""""""""man""""""""""""""
>>
>>86475027
I don't see how this can be worse/forgettable than crash or spotlight

Come to think of it 90% of best picture winners are forgettable shit like 10 years later
>>
>>86475027
>That aside, Sydney Pollack hasn't made a single good movie.
I'm inclined to agree. I watched The Yakuza recently thinking it would be pretty awesome since it was a Paul Schrader script and starred fucking Robert Mitchum. It damn near bored me to tears. Pollack is a great actor though.
>>
File: MGM.jpg (31KB, 688x542px) Image search: [Google]
MGM.jpg
31KB, 688x542px
1943: Casablanca. B+ movie at best. Classically overrated. Heaven Can Wait was also nominated and certainly a better film.

1962: Lawrence of Arabia. C+ gruel. Only "great" because of huge army of extras and massive budget for the time. People liked seeing the grand spectacle. Movie was mostly shit other than a few actors and parts. Another overrated shit. The Longest Day, Music Man, and Mutiny on the Bounty were all nominated and were all better.

1969: Midnight Cowboy. Almost pure shit. The acid was good this era. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid should obviously have won that year.

1977: Annie Hall. Never saw this Allen film. I like a few of his but .... um .... Star Wars???

1981: Chariots of Fire. Was a decent film but Raiders of the Lost Ark was obvious winner

1985: Out of Africa. Not the worst but dreary and forgettable. Back to the Future and Cocoon were both that year. tsk tsk

1986: Platoon. I love a good war movie. This was a social examination cry fest. Soooo overrated. Aliens should have been nominated and won. Also Ferris Buelers day off was that year. Which of these films has had lasting cultural impact?

There are other films that didn't deserve the award over the competition but I tried to keep it to the ones that were outright bad or criminally mediocre. (Chariots of Fire was good)
>>
>>86475027
>That aside, Sydney Pollack hasn't made a single good movie.
The Firm
3 Days of the Condor

Other than those two, he sucks.
>>
>>86476827
Annie Hall is unironically better than Star Wars.
Lawrence of Arabia is objectively a masterpiece.
Platoon deserved its win and is probably the only movie from that decade to do so.

You are so full of shit taste reading your post is making me hold my nose.
>>
>>86476918
>Annie Hall is unironically better than Star Wars.
OK. Hard to believe but I cannot dispute since I haven't seen it. Seems a bold claim.
>Lawrence of Arabia is objectively a masterpiece.
Nope. Super irritating and tedious. Also clunky storytelling. Belongs with lesser feel-good films rejected for Tom Hattan's Saturday afternoon show.
>Platoon deserved its win and is probably the only movie from that decade to do so.
Platoon was a random stroll through a story-free war setting that ended with pre-programed feels. Everyone knew the end due to the marketing and it still managed to feel forced. Watched that whole movie for THIS?? Aliens undoubtedly better film making and FBDO, while puerile, still fetches pop culture reference to this day.

But taste is what it is. I may disagree with you but I'd drinks at the bar with.
>>
File: 1501551376964.png (94KB, 192x187px) Image search: [Google]
1501551376964.png
94KB, 192x187px
>>86476827
>Lawrence of Arabia
>C+ gruel

Opinion discarded
>>
>>86477322
>Lawrence of Arabia
>feel-good film
Holy shit I have seen EVERYTHING
>>
Shakespeare in love is probably the worst.
>>
>>86477771
>>86477800
I'll never understand the love of this movie.
>>
>>86477771
Detail your opinion of what makes LoA a good movie.
>>
>>86477923
not that poster but:

editing, cinematography, acting, writing, scope.
It's virtually perfect
>>
>>86477865
>>86477923
>A cinematographic masterpiece
>Outstanding performance by Peter O'Toole and great performances by the other actors
>Great writing
>Epic not only on the scale of telling the story of the Arab Revolt, but of telling the intimate tale of a man's fall from grace and into disillusion
>Great score

And to a degree I can't exactly describe why I love it so much. It is pure, epic grandeur with a pith of emotional intensity, set in an exotic locale filmed gorgeously. As a historical piece it is poor but as a work of art is incredible.

https://youtu.be/uE0DBpw09SU

The cut in this scene is one of the greatest in film history
>>
>>86477923
No that guy, but I think LoA works on numerous levels. It is a tragedy, it is a thesis on what the Middle East is and why it can never be truly changed, it is a testament to iconic imagery and performances (Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Alec Guiness of course), it has become so ingrained in pop culture that it becomes a myth, a masterclass in modern editing (it's a 4 hour movie but it really never drags, every scene is paced with a careful rhythm). There's tension, honor, pride, shame, action. It is lofty ambition at its finest.
>>
>>86478337
Beautifully put, anon.
>>
>>86477322
>still fetches pop culture reference to this day.
yeah so does Platoon.
>>
>>86478286
This scene is my personal favorite. The way Larence's voice cracks before taking the drink shakes me to my core https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_EZCG2Ex8Q0
>>
>>86478221
>>86478286
>>86478337

I agree that there are some great moments of acting (Omar and Alec are always spot on) and the cinematography is, indeed, great. But I disagree on the rhythm, acting (the rest), and especially the writing and editing. It is tedious. It succeeds in the realm of its era because everyone loved a giant spectacle of grand scope like Ben Hur. I feel like this movie skates on that. Many of the things you three cite as qualities are things I don't necessarily disagree with but rather it is the degree. In many ways it does work but not well enough for me to give more than a C+ overall. Yes, there are a scattering of A grade moments but for every one of those you have a "Orenz! Orenz! Orenz Orenz!" moment.
I seriously prefer almost every other nominated film of that year over it.

Differing opinions are spice to conversation. It's fine and fun to throw around insults online over differing opinion but I can tell that I'd enjoy talking movies in more civil settings IRL with you faggot scum.
>>
>>86478518
Not so much.
>>
File: 1493410525809.jpg (32KB, 650x488px) Image search: [Google]
1493410525809.jpg
32KB, 650x488px
>>86475027
>disrespecting Robert Redford
>>
>>86478745
>"Orenz! Orenz! Orenz Orenz!"
what exactly is your problem with those moments?
>>
File: Platoon[1].jpg (19KB, 615x409px) Image search: [Google]
Platoon[1].jpg
19KB, 615x409px
>>86478776
but enough to instantly be recognizable, because it's iconic.
>>
>>86478745
Fair enough, I suppose it's just an issue of taste.
>>
>>86476827
obvious bait but still funny
>>
>>86478918
That and the shotgun smoking are the only memorable parts of the film. And hardly known by anyone who wasn't alive then. Certainly not the story. Nope. Just an image and a prepackaged opinion that was greater than the film itself (which wasn't hard and thus my opinion)
>>
>>86479131
I will admit to fudging just a little for b8 sake. But still authentic gist of my opinion.
>>
>>86479190
oh and now you're gonna argue Ferris Bueller and Aliens have memorable stories? More memorable than Platoon?
>>
File: beard.jpg (58KB, 1024x754px) Image search: [Google]
beard.jpg
58KB, 1024x754px
>>86479334
Platoon has no story.
Alas, gotta go.
Was fun
>>
>>86475027
>milquetoast
>>
>>86475861
I certainly liked spotlight but agreed, pretty standard fare. Felt like argo, that is to say, how much you like it really depends on how much you care about the source material.
>>
>>86477322
>feel-good films
Lawrence of Arabia.

Feel good movie

Damn, someone wants to be raped by turks
>>
>>86479669
I had the same reaction lol
>>
>>86475027
It a good movie and its the other side of the coin from master and commander, it is one of the best woman films made.

People hate me since i think The Conversation should have won over Godfather Part II, even if there was three great films that year.

Chicago, The Artist, and Argo all did nothing for me. All the other films I understand why they won.

>I actually adore spotlight
>>
>>86479723
kek
>>
>>86475027
>Sydney Pollack hasn't made a single good movie

The Yakuza and Jeremiah Johnson are pretty good
>>
>>86478827
Nothing about the acting was even mentioned you cunt.
>>
>>86475861

million dollar baby... anyone remember that?
>>
>>86481497
Yes, first time I realized Casey was the better actor and it had michelle monaghan...

Wait...wrong movie....

That was the 2nd film that Hillary "isn't hot but has great DSL" Swank played a mannish role and won a oscar, and was clint eastwoods winner even if it not his best work.
>>
>>86475027
Is your horse a good shot?
>>
>>86475027
Why has Hollywood stopped producing this type of epic dramas?
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.