[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>the original It was bad when did this meme start? it was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: tumblr_of9qiaxH8W1tr6ni8o1_500.gif (2MB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_of9qiaxH8W1tr6ni8o1_500.gif
2MB, 500x330px
>the original It was bad

when did this meme start? it was one of the most beloved icons of the horror genre
pennywise might be the scariest monster of all time
>>
>>86456733
Kid story was like a 7/10
Adult story was like a 5 or 6/10

Overall it's not nearly as bad as the meme nostalgia critic said it was (like half the shit he talks about).

t. Someone who saw it for the first time a month ago
>>
File: photo_2017-08-09_18-33-51.jpg (45KB, 960x896px) Image search: [Google]
photo_2017-08-09_18-33-51.jpg
45KB, 960x896px
It's dated and was made for TV, so I wouldn't expect the same treatment as a movie since they had to frame scenes and arcs differently.

Charming, Curry carried a lot of the film. The directors admit they kinda fucked up with the ending.
>>
>>86456733
the original It was bad. It has a handful of well-done scenes all of which involve pennywise in some way, every other scene is poorly acted boring trash. It was a tv-movie and it looks like one, cheap as fuck and lit like a sitcom.
It was scary when you were a child, laughable as an adult. Tim Curry is hilarious in this movie, and it's not a bad thing. As it's own thing it's a 6/10, as an adaptation of the book it's even lower.
>>
>>86456733
Jay Bauman of Redlettermedia said it on Twitter so it must be true
>>
a game thrones
>>
>>86457536
literally who?
>>
>>86457596
meme show
>>
>>86456733
>beloved icons of the horror genre
Curry as Pennywise was. No one ever talked about the rest of he movie. It's not bad it's just not a good adaptation of the book and because it was a TV movie it's kind of boring and bland.
>>
UWAAH UWAAH UWAAH
>>
>>86456733
The only good thing about the tv series was Tim curry. If you watched it as a child then you probably have fond memories of being spooked, but watching it as an adult, it's clearly a shitty tv movie
>>
>>86457596
Movie reviewers that curate the opinions of a lot of /tv/ users. Every time they put out their opinion on something /tv/ quickly starts parroting it. Even if you don't know who they are by name you have most likely seen their faces posted here.
>>
>>86456733
The only thing I've ever heard mentioned about this movie was Pennywise and Tim Curry. I've never heard anyone talk about any other part. If the only thing they can mention is Tim, it's not that great.
>>
>>86456733
Looks like you haven't read the book
>>
>>86458191
You're going to be saying that a lot. It's sort of expected with huge properties like LotR that everyone hasn't read the book, but I'm still shocked at how many people are completely unfamiliar with the actual book IT
>>
First half of IT was actually incredible, the adults really stunk it up but I love it either way
>exxccussee me SIR! Do you have Prince Albert in a can???
>>
The 10 year old kid behind me in the movie theater line the other day summed it up by saying It was his favourite horror flick. That being said, I liked a lot of horror movies as a kid that I can barely sit through now. I watched It again a few weeks ago for the first time in a while and it was okay, but pretty much on par with watching 6-7 episodes of Seinfeld back to back
>>
>>86456733
A little bit of Nostalgia tinted glasses. Tim Curry is great as always and carries the show, and the first half is pretty solid, but the ultimate resolution is a wet fart.
Like other anons have mentioned it wasn't a theatrical release, it was a two part miniseries/movie of the week (remember when we had those?) so it suffers from a limited budget and having to be edited for early 90's television.
It's good. I personally like it, but if someone called it "shit" I wouldn't be the least bit confused or upset.
>>
>>86456733

I wouldn't call it bad. It's just mediocre outside of based Tim Curry. You're only right in that Pennywise is an icon of horror.
>>
>>86458515

I've read Misery which was mediocre and Pet Sematary which was trash, there's no way I'm reading more King
>>
>>86456954
Just watched myself for the first time this week.
I agree its about 7/10, maybe a bit higher if you only count the horror genre. I didn't know there were people who thought it's bad, that's interesting because I always thought it was like universally praised.
>>
>>86461244
King is the most mediocre praised author on the market. Not surprising you feel that way.
>>
>>86458515
>completely unfamiliar with the actual book IT

Even though it's a well-known TV movie and a good seller, I doubt that a lot of fans of the movie and even people who bought the book actually read it from start to finish. Probably too long for most peopple to actually finish.
>>
>>86456733
When people with functioning brains watched it.
>>
>>86456954
It was pretty badly made. It wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't good and it certainly didn't really matter.
>>
>>86456733
>pennywise might be the scariest monster of all time

In the book? Maybe. In the miniseries? Who the fuck are you trying to kid?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3ZbnfXEuyc
>>
>>86458556
No, fuck off
>>
>>86456733
The 90s tv movie was bad as an adaptation. Although Tim Curry gave a legendary performance, it's not a good reflection of what the books Pennywise was. While Curry's was a charismatic quip machine, in the book he maybe made one joke towards Ben in the library. He spent the rest of his time tearing heads and arms of kids.
>>
>>86457873
Yeah, pretty much.
>>
>>86457137

>its dated

irrelevant
>>
>>86456733
>>86457137
still missing the yellow bowler hat
>>
>>86462018
the whole scary clown thing is really hit or miss, for the people who are afraid of clowns though pennywise probably tops the list
>>
>>86460179
>It is like 7 episodes of Seinfeld
KEK
>>
>>86464466
I'm sorry but Clowns being scary is a fucking meme. If you're legitametly scared of a clown you're emotionally stunted, fucked in the head or had some kind of childhood trauma related to clowns. Pennywise was scary because of his intense, predatory and malevolent nature.
>>
>>86456733
I tried watching it a few days ago and stopped after 20 minutes because it was absolute shit. The only redeeming quality I had seen was Curry in the boat scene. I can't imagine investing over three hours in it.
>>
>>86456733
It was always a bad cheaply-made movie. It was originally made for TV broadcast -- wasn't even a real film.

It's corny as shit and doesn't follow the novel. The only saving grace is watching Tim Curry ham it up from under the make-up.
>>
>>86463541
Dated doesn't mean what you think it means.

Not everything that is old is dated.
>>
>>86456733
This is /tv/. We dislike things that are popular.
>>
>>86464636
We're hardwired to fear clowns for the same reason that we react badly to corpses, mannequins and animations in the uncanny valley.

It's an evolutionary mechanism to stop us from imprinting on things that are almost (but not quite) human -- things that could be potentially dangerous.
>>
>>86464849
so what you be sayin is dat that anon be retarded wit no survival instincts?
>>
>>86456733
Anyone got the webm of the new sewer scene ??
>>
>>86456733
>when did this meme start?
When horror fans who first watched the film as adults and had read the book were asked how they felt about it.
>>
>>86464937
If he somehow didn't evolve this particular phobia, he probably has others. Maybe he hates snakes or something.
>>
i was campy with a few gruesome scenes.
it was made for TV and it showed, the directions was all over the place and the script had a lot of problems. the special effects were good enough for the most part, while the clown makeup was good
as others pointed out, the first part was the better one and a rather successful horror movie, while the second part was poorly written and lacked suspense
without Tim Curry the movie would have been barely watchable as he had both intensity and campy humor. i can't image how this scene >>86462018 would have turned out with someone else playing the part
>>
>>86461379
>7/10 film
>8/10 horror film
You need to watch more movies, kiddo.
>>
>>86461244
It is one of his best though. Not high lit obviously.
>>
>>86462018
why is pennywise warning ritchie to gtfo and not just kill him?
>>
>>86465153
>it was made for TV and it showed, the directions was all over the place

The lighting and the cinematography both sucked, as did the soundtrack. Instead of a horror movie feel, it had the look and feel of an after-school special.

Tim Curry was the only good thing about that disaster.
>>
>>86465406
>Tim Curry was the only good thing about that disaster.
This seems to be the one thing that almost everyone agrees on.
>>
>>86461405
>King is the most mediocre praised author on the market.

I'll never understand how he became so popular. Tried reading some of his books as a teen, and they were just garbage that I refused to even finish.
>>
>>86464849
>>86464636
I like the psychology of things like this.
Thats all I wanted to say.
>>
>>86465736

What other authors did you enjoy?
>>
>>86465911

Never got much into horror, as I prefer history, but I've read a couple of Koontz books, and they were alright.
>>
File: 900826090.jpg (79KB, 700x858px) Image search: [Google]
900826090.jpg
79KB, 700x858px
the even tv lighting kills it for me, it just doesn't even *look* scary. the budget being so low didn't really help either

it's not horrible or anything, but a little more care and effort could have elevated it
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.