[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>same director >same actors >same source material >shot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: lord-of-the-rings-trilogy.jpg (260KB, 1452x701px) Image search: [Google]
lord-of-the-rings-trilogy.jpg
260KB, 1452x701px
>same director
>same actors
>same source material
>shot at the same time
So why do they gradually decrease in quality with each movie? Some people say TT is the worst but at least it doesn't have a 2 hour battle that's won by an invincible ghost army. There's just no reason FOTR should be so >>>>> ROTK
>>
It could just be a consequence of the fellowship splitting up. You go from pretty much one storyline in fellowship to 3 in TT (Frodo, Aragorn, Merry and Pippin) then by ROTK it splinters even more.
>>
>>86402670
Those cover arts look pretty bad desu. Especially Two Towers, it's just a shitty photoshop and Gimli looks like he's about to fuck Eowyn up.
>>
>>86403749
>gimli looks like he's about to fuck eowyn up

Kek
>>
>>86402670
ROTK was the only bad one, it was typical blockbuster shlock
>battle after battle with no stakes
>Legolas and gimli becoming shallow characters making lazy quips all throughout the movie
>awful cgi
>>
>>86402670
Half way through filming the first, he realized they could've taken the eagles.
>>
>>86403939
I think the whole frodo/sam storyline and all the endings were excellent, it's exactly what I wanted from the final film. I agree that the other parts were weaker though.
>>
>>86402670
>States that the movies are using the same source material.
>Doesn't realize it was the source material that is the entire reason for the deterioration

The ghost army was in the book dummy.
>>
I would kill to hear Peter Jackson's pitch to the executives for the the trilogy to be made.
>>
>>86402670
they dont, you are not suppose to watch them all in a row it gets boring
watch them with week between each and you will see they all are great
>>
>>86404070
Same. It's fucking insane.
>Known for low production splatter movies
>Lotr is insanely big already, so there would be very high standards to meet
>will need hundreds of millions to make
>asks for two movies, execs tell him to make three
>the madman actually fucking did it and created some of the best films in history
I don't give a shit about his other works, he will always be a legend for this.
>>
Because his tone progression sucks and his directing chops are limited. Hence all the slowmo.

Fellowship is great the others suffer from too much cg shit direction and back and forth monotony.
>>
Galadriel feet
>>
>>86404031
But they didn't wave over everything and kill entire armies. All they did was show up and scare the Eastern Men off their boats and shit, to make way for Aragon to enter. Then they were like "Are we square?"
>>
>>86403749
>Arwen that prominent in all three posters
>>
File: The Big Three.jpg (28KB, 841x130px) Image search: [Google]
The Big Three.jpg
28KB, 841x130px
Reminder
>>
>>86404424
yeah but that ain't fun
>>
>>86402670
because peter already made the perfect fantasy movie with fellowship and you can't top perfection
>>
File: 1500509915461.png (360KB, 550x558px) Image search: [Google]
1500509915461.png
360KB, 550x558px
>>86404440
My fucking God! I never looked closely at the posters til now but they are fucking hot garbage.
>>
>Age of Ultron budget
approx. $316 million
>LOTR Trilogy budget
approx. $281 million
>>
>>86402670

Because Jackson only actually properly prepped and wrote the first film. Sure he had a lot of ideas and stuff ready for the sequels, namely the battle sequences, but a lot more of it was rushed and not properly thought out and he basically winged parts of it.

By the end of the third one he was in full Hobbit-tier mode but of course people will never admit this. The ending battle was overbloated as well.

Add to this a bunch of assumed studio interference and pressure to make the movies more "epic" and "give the fans what they want" which I have no idea if is true or not, but I imagine it is.
>>
>>86404578
robots cost more money to film
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e7BkmF8CJpQ

Why dont composers have passion like this anymore
>>
>>86404478
>let's wait until the trilogy is finished before we give him the awards
>>
>>86404603
God damn robo-actor unions
>>
read what Viggo says about it - after Fellowship money started pouring Jackson went nuts with CGI and reshoots
>>
>>86404250
He was already an Academy Award nominated director making big budget films before he even thought of LOTR. No one else was making it and he originally only got 75 millions to make it.
>>
>>86404816
What from the films are reshoots?
>>
>>86404816
>reminder Jackson did reshoots after ROTK won Best Picture
>>
>>86404930
Pretty much everything they shot after 2000 was a reshoot.
>>
>>86405051
That's what I'm asking what was shot then?I thought it all was done in 2000 or before. Everything is a lie.
>>
>>86404632
This guy watched the movie and then composed the music, maybe in a month
He isn't Beethoven, not big deal (but the music is great and I am glad for his work, to be honest)
>>
>>86404031
True, however Fellowship is the movie that most closely followed the way the book portrayed things. Peter/Fran/Philippa repeatedly defended the changes made to Faramir but it was a straight up wrong-headed decision.
>>
>>86403987
>I think the whole Sam/frodo storylines and the endings were excellent
I agree with you there, the grey havens ending was extremely powerful
>>
>>86405118
Technically principal photography for all three movies was completed between like 1999 and 2000s. However, they would go back in between the movie releases to either reshoot scenes or fill in gaps as needed.
>>
>>86406124
>Peter/Fran/Philippa repeatedly defended the changes made to Faramir but it was a straight up wrong-headed decision.
Listen to the Commentary. Jackson says one of the few changes he really regretted was having faramir be tempted by the ring.
>>
>>86406271
Oh that's cool. They probably didn't realize just how much fan backlash they would get for that.
>>
>>86406334
I'd really recommend listening to all of the commentary tracks. Really comfy and informative, and a lot of great stories about the making of.
Most of the big changes he adresses and gives his reasoning for. Like the elves showing up at helm deep, the ghost army, or Arwen showing up where she's not supposed to.
Lord of the rings isn't a flawless 1:1 adaptation but it does a really great job of translating a story that had mostly been considered impossible to film. Some things are missing or changed, but you have to consider the practical aspects.
For example, the scouring of the shire is my favorite part of the story, but how do you fit that into a script that already had people complaining about how long the ending was already? Thats another 30 minutes of screen time and anticlimactic after the epic battles against mordor.
>>
>>86402670
I think RotK is the best.
>>
>>86407171
Yeah, I totally agree that overall, it was an amazing success as an adaptation. In the House of Tom Bombadil is my personal favorite chapter but that's obviously one of the first things to get cut.
>>
>>86404371
based cateposter does it again
>>
>>86407279
>obviously the first thing is to cut the best part of the story

hmmmm
>>
>>86407314
Well the best part of the chapter is the prose while Tom relates the history of the region to the hobbits so I don't think that would translate well into film.
>>
>>86406271
I love whenever Fran and Philippa team up against Peter in the commentary or when they explain something to him that he didn't get before, including what scenes they wrote themselves or what came from the books
>>
>>86407314
You've got to think about it in an editorial sense. What does tom bring to the story as a whole? The only thing he really does is give merry the blade of westerness, and you can write around that by having galadriel give them swords.
You've got to fit these three books into three 200 page screenplays.
>>
>>86404482
Neither is leaving out the Grey company.
>>
>>86407581
It gives a memorable scene, a memorable character and the air of fantasy that the movie needs. Almost like you should fit it in instead of inventing 15 CGI battles that all look the same.
>>
Do you guys think the scene from fellowship where they hide from the ringwraith under the tree was a mistake or intentional? I'm talking about how the ringwraiths appears from the tree even though he should have been seen on the right side of the tree first.

It could be intentional, in that he either came from an angle or was invisible or something.
>>
>>86402670
Each film had a different editor working on it.
>>
>>86407947
Listen to the commentary, they forgot to turn the invisibility off on the horse's hind legs
>>
FoTR is about the adventure and relationship of the Fellowship. TT and RoTK are about muh politics and muh battles
>>
>>86408078
I'm actually listening to the commentary as I'm writing this, but it's the one with Peter Jackson and the writers. Which one are you talking about? Production?
>>
FOTR was always the best source material

You give less of a shit in TT & ROTK because it's not a few focused characters anymore, it's big CGI armies clashing into each other
>>
>>86408352
The problem is that the books really weren't all about big CGI armies clashing.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.