[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

this was so much better than it had any business being. al

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 5

File: John-Wick-Poster.jpg (525KB, 1296x720px) Image search: [Google]
John-Wick-Poster.jpg
525KB, 1296x720px
this was so much better than it had any business being.

also this action sequence is the GOAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation_id=annotation_1560598227&feature=iv&src_vid=tr_6doXL0zk&v=DlH3c4dgF8Q
>>
tacticool kino will always be good
>>
>>86299377
then why did Atomic Blonde suck? (same director)
>>
>>86299412
>hating atomic blonde

fag
>>
It's kiddie garbage. Digital blood, edgy awkward music, fights are just shooting with near to no coreography. Cringeworthy text-on-screen that serves no purpose. "Russian" mobster who clearly has a Swedish accent and isn't even trying to hide it. Keanu phoned in his performance for a quick buck just reading lines he probably didn't even bother memorizing. Literally ZERO characters that are more than generic cardboard cutouts to justify moving from scene to scene.

And it's so poorly written. Look at that scene you linked. I'm definitely not complaining of an action movie not being realistic, but a movie has to make sense within its own logic.

At 1.35 onwards he has a clear shot of his target, not moving, nothing distracting him. Literally pointing his weapon at him for 5 seconds but deciding not to pull the trigger. That's allright, maybe he thought this was too personal to use a gun. He wants to beat him hand-to-hand, right? Maybe strangle him? Nope. In the end he just shoots him.

Why the FUCK is that shot of him staring him down for 5 seconds in the film if you wanted to do the whole action scene in the club? It's like mid filming the director realized they had already booked the stunt men and changed it on the fly.
>>86299412
Oh fuck I was going to go see that. Thanks for the warning.
>>
i just saw this last night. it was good, but not as good as hyped for the last few years, i think.
>>
File: 1417191723081.gif (468KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1417191723081.gif
468KB, 500x282px
>>86299412

>badass chicks
>>
>>86299559
has this ever worked?
>>
>>86299502

By the time he got to his initial target and could kill him personally he was probably really tired from killing so many of his father's men and just wanted to go home and take a nap.
>>
>>86299502
>Cringeworthy text-on-screen that serves no purpose
You mean subtitles? Sorry not all of us speak Russian.
>>
>>86299760
cocи хyй
>>
>>86299502
I got the impression at that point he wanted a more personal kill but by the end out of respect to his father for handing him over he gave him a quick death. also I also got the impression he wanted to look him in the eye for it because he could have sniped him in the safe house as well but didn't.
>>
>>86299412
I just saw that last night, it was fucking great dude
>>
>>86299934
how did it compare to wick to you?
>>
>>86299412
I just watched it 20 minutes ago and I agree, Wick wasn't amazing but Blonde was just hot garbage
>>
>>86299236
At least the first movie had a bit of actual plot. Part 2 was basically just Keanu Reeves doing one smooth looking choreography after the other.
>>
>>86299997
you mean.

Atomic garbage.
>>
>>86299760
This is a subtitle. Burned in, not an external track. Totally fine.
>>
This movie was a load of shit, so fucking fake gunplay and CGI gunshots
Punisher War Zone is better
>>
>>86300156
i still don't get what your fucking problem is?
>>
He's saying hardcoded subtitles are shit
>>
>>86299760
This is a cringy text-on-screen effect.
>>86299893
That's stretching it, and they were looking eye-to-eye in the bath house. Then he goes on to execute some random grunt with flair and letting the target escape. The famous hitman known for always getting his work done.

Don't even try to say that making mistakes not fitting of his character represents his emotional investment in this particular job. The movie isn't that clever and he acts like the perfect assassin robot he's supposed to be for the rest of the movie.
>>
>>86300105
Well played, sir.
>>
>>86300203
they're necessary for like 99% of the viewers though.
>>
>>86300172
Punisher always has great sequences, the fight with the Russian is still the most brutal fight in capeshit.
>>
>>86300230
how is that cringey? I feel like most of what you're saying is very nit-picky
>>
>>86300203
No I'm saying using a variety of colors, fonts and stylization in the subtitles doesn't look cool. It looks cheap and something aimed at 12 year olds. Which fits this movie perfectly.

The ending battle (and the whole movie desu) feels like a group of 12 year old boys got together and listed COOL THINGS they want to see then some sorry intern had to write a script around it. You know what's cool? Silhouette of two guys standing next to each other in the rain grappling. You know what's also cool? Stabbing someone through your own arm fuck yea that's cool put that in, now figure out some reason why these two guys would be doing it.
>>86300191
I started typing a reply to someone else mid-thought.
>>
>>86299412
Action film about 'badass woymen'
>>
>>86300334
did those two things even happen? and I mean yeah, you're right about that. the plot is only a very thin part of the story to give motive to the action, but it actually was "cool" and turned out to be a lot of fun. that's what action movies are, they usually are awful but for some reason I can't articulate i enjoyed this one a lot.
>>
>>86300306
>Punisher War Zone
>the fight with the Russian
I don't remember that
Do you mean Loony Bin Jim?
>>
>>86300492
I'm sorry. He stabbed himself so he could reach the other guys elbow and break it. Same thing effectively.
>very thin part of the story to give motive to the action
I realize that, I watch a lot of action movies. But if you're going to do a movie where the plot is just an excuse to change the backdrop for fights then don't have digital blood that looks like it was added on the director's nephew's laptop and fights that are mostly just walking and shooting a pistol. And certainly don't use some failed emo high school rock band's songs as your sountrack.

This movie actually had quite a bit of dialogue and time devoted to plot for a movie "solely for action" and a GOOD CAST that was totally underutilized. Did you even remember Willem Dafoe was in the film? Dean Winters is a good actor too, playing the role of an extra. Keanu and Nyqvist are also more than competent. Writing better dialogue for them wouldn't have hurt the action scenes.
>>
>>86300768
I liked that the action scenes were as you say >walking and shooting a pistol

I hate the big over the top explosive stuff in the average action flick. also I really liked Dafoe's part, short sweet and badass. there was no need for more of him. if anything i'd have given Ian Mcshane a little more screentime but even then I don't think anyone overstayed their welcome and appreciated it.
I guess we just like different things in action movies but I really enjoyed this film and thought it broke the mold a little bit
>>
>>86299412
Because David Leitch clearly is the weak link and shouldn't be let to direct movies on his own
The story is a mess
The characters are unlikable and poorly written
The only decent thing is the action and McAvoy
>>
>>86299236
>this was so much better than it had any business being.

What the fuck does this even mean? That it shouldn't have been good?
>>
>>86301006
>Ian Mcshane
Oh yeah he was in the movie too. I'm not saying Dafoe or Winters needed more screen time, both had plenty. I'm saying the roles (of every character, not just them) were incredibly one-dimensional and therefore their talents just felt wasted.
>I hate the big over the top explosive stuff in the average action flick.
Me too. That's why I watch a lot of Hong Kong movies. In Hong Kong movies guns are basically non existent. The alternative to >walking and shooting a pistol is well coreographed and creative hand to hand combat, not oil barrels exploding every time something happens.

The nonchalant "let me just walk in and execute everyone" style is cool once. You shouldn't base the action in a movie relying on action scenes on it.
>>
>>86301348
I don't know, I can't think of anything I would change about it honestly. What you've criticized are the things I liked about it. Out of curiosity what would you have done differently?
>>
If John Woo had written and directed these they would without a a doubt been the best action films ever made.
>>
>>86301462
MUCH less shooting, more hand to hand combat with a variety of weapons and utilizing the environment, no stylizing the subtitles and throwing them in the middle of the screen like it's max payne 3 (and the worst part about that game too), REAL BLOOD PACKS, REAL BLANKS, characters that can't be summed up with one word, hire someone who can talk with a Russian accent or at least without a noticable accent and most of all change the god damn soundtrack to literally anything that isn't this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNTjM3_0N80

Like I said even the characters I'm bitching about had plenty of screentime and dialogue lines. They were just incredibly unimaginative and one dimensional. In other words: write better.

There are things the movie did well like not abusing shaky cam and quick cuts. But then it was all ruined by CGI so obvious it looked like one of those youtube after effects channels.
>>
>>86301307
Low budget, little marketing, small cast, it doesn't measure up to these triple A films but it performs just as well; you spoonfed fucking pleb
>>
>>86302447
>small cast
What did he mean by this?
The movie had a well known hollywood actress for basically every relevant role, and a total of 24 named characters with plenty of other characters in talking parts that weren't explicitly named.
>>
>>86302773
what the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>86302447

None of this implies that the movie will be bad or average.
>>
>>86302867
how much clearer could he have made that post?
>>
>>86302978
it doesn't have to imply that, modern day films are measured by the amount of stars and money is dumped into marketing, now grandpa get with the times or fucking die
>>
File: 1486001885649.jpg (39KB, 319x242px) Image search: [Google]
1486001885649.jpg
39KB, 319x242px
>>86302867
>>
>>86303040
>The movie had a well known hollywood actress for basically every relevant role

are we talking about the same movie?
>>
>>86299412
Action in that movie was great, but the movie itself was a mess. The reason Wick was good is because it was incredibly straight forward. Blonde tried to be smart and it failed. When it was straight forward, it was good, but the whole movie tried too hard.
>>
it's totally devoid of a plot and none of the characters are capable of showing emotion but it's good if you like those youtube videos where a guy goes around shooting nobodies for 90 minutes
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.