[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are horror movies so shit nowadays? All of them rely on cheap

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: hqdefault.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
Why are horror movies so shit nowadays? All of them rely on cheap jump scares and it's always the same found footage gimmick
>>
Horror doesnt sell anynore
>>
>>86284585
Because the films in the genre that tread new ground are hated by fans of the genre. So you end up with no middle ground between copypasta found footage garbage and indie "horror" movies that increasingly don't bother to be horror
>>
Being original is hard nowadays.
>>
>>86284585
You said it yourself. Its easy to create a "horror" movie with a certin formula. Jump scares + eerie noises + group of teens + found footage. You can add the fact that most teams dont rely on practical effects as they used to a couple decades ago. Having actors to "act" like creatures are there when they're not is a big downgrade. All of it because the develop blockbuster flicks insted of actual pieces of work you can see.
The horror genre needs mor Rick Bakers and Tom Savinis to give that tangible side back in movies.
>>
>>86284585
Horror is a meme. It's not possible for fiction to be 'scary'. If a piece of fiction instills horror into you it's not because the fiction itself is horrifying; rather, it's because you're a manchild in the freudian sense of the word. This is further evidenced by the fact that movies that aren't typically categorized as 'horror' are most frequently brought up in threads about the 'scariest' movies of all time. Get a job, raise a family, take on responsibility and you will see that these popcorn demons are fairytales compared to the horrors of dealing with landlords, paying mortgages, making sure your child isn't dead every hour, making sure your now useless wife isn't fucking other people etc.. this is your life for the next 60 years and then you die (or less if you're lucky enough to have been blessed with the gift of a heart attack). this is true horror. only underaged people and NEETs will disgaree. Tell me /tv/, what keeps you up at night? A Nightmare on Elmstreet? Paranormal Activity 3D. Your student loans?
>>
>>86285353
Your mom keeps me up at night.
>>
>>86284585

It pisses me off when there is a chance of a little scare with something happening in the background and they put a scream sound effect for no reason.
>>
>spooky stretched mouth face
>>
>>86284585
It's all been done.

Watch a nice Giallo & walk through a city street. Are they chasing me?
>>
>>86285353
Brown people, I mean they are just so scary.
>>
We're living in a golden age of horror you uninformed ignorant pleb.
>>
real videodrome when
>>
>>86285648
>It's all been done.

No, it hasn't. It's just that everyone treats horror as cheap, stale genre.
>>
>>86285353
Horror requires you to become invested in the story and put yourself in the characters shoes, this is what effective horror does, Anyone can go into a theatre turn off their brains and say "yeah bro this shit aint scary id just kick the creepers ass haha"
>>
>>86284585

>It Follows
>The Witch
>I Am the Pretty Thing That Lives in the House

All of these are helping to change the dynamic of what horror is
>>
>>86285842
IT FOLLOWS IS FUCKING SHIT FUCK YOU
>>
>>86285796
Yes except the exact opposite is true, horror is utterly shallow even next to other genre-fiction greats like 'action' and murder mystery novels
An 'effective horror movie' requires you to switch off your brain to get a pathetic little momentary thrill out of it
Horror is the cinematic equivalent of one of those pens with a woman who takes her clothes off when you press the nib down
>>
>>86285870

Shouldn't have typed that one here, it's for people who have actually had sex with at least one person
>>
>>86284585
because horror is a shit genre. it's for teenagers and dumb people that scare easily.
>>
>>86286055
I've had sex with one person and It Follows still sucks.
>>
>>86284585
Because real life is more horrifying than any movie. In America anyway.
>>
File: goosebumps.jpg (42KB, 279x402px) Image search: [Google]
goosebumps.jpg
42KB, 279x402px
"scary" horror movies are dead

campy fun filled goofy horror movies are the new superkino
>>
>>86285842
>It Follows
psychological thriller
>The Witch
period drama
>>
>>86284585
If it isn't laden in irony, nobody cares. Being genuinely scared is considered lame.
>>
The problems with the horror genre today can be boiled down to two things;
1. Horror film that believes a good horror film is how much horror in can inflict in 90 minutes. This bloats the movie and destroys any conceivable story by filling it with nothing other than jump scares and attempted frightening imagery. This fails because scary stuff isn't scary when it's blatantly trying too hard.
and;
2. The horror genre's current obsession with originality. Everyone wants to write a new cult hit. With your weirdo hipster horror bs. It doesn't have to be something completely unlike everything that's ever been done. Your haunted teen crayon box demon who takes the form of cowboy boot is a garbled mess.

Swap the formula for writing horror from 'okay we need to scare people, but how?' to 'let's tell a disturbing story and not spare the audience from its gruesome moments'.

A good scary film isn't one that makes you scream. It's one that unsettles you and makes you think when you're alone surrounded by shadows in your room at night.
>>
>>86286105

>it sucks

Great review. What would be an example of good horror to you
>>
>>86285842
Add Don't Breath to that list
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.