[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what the fuck did they mean by this?I thought lotr was kino not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 9

what the fuck did they mean by this?I thought lotr was kino not some feminist propoganda. Is this shit /reddit/ now?
>>
It really does come off like "girl power" shit in the movies. I wish they threw in a line mentioning the prophecy when Gandalf talked about him.
>>
in the book merry kills him
>>
>>86276277
Disregard that, he did.

Looks like I need to rewatch the movies again.
>>
Isn't she still technically a man though?
>>
'Begone foul dwimmerlaik, lord of carrion! Leave the dead in peace!'
A cold voice answered: 'Come not between the Nazgûl and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in thy turn. He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.'
A sword rang as it was drawn. 'Do what you will; but I will hinder it, if I may.'
'Hinder me? Thou fool. No living man may hinder me!'
Then Merry heard of all sounds in that hour the strangest. It seemed that Dernhelm laughed, and the clear voice was like the ring of steel. 'But no living man am I! You look upon a woman. Éowyn I am, Éomund’s daughter. You stand between me and my lord and kin. Begone, if you be not deathless! For living or dark undead, I will smite you if you touch him.'
>>
i really like eowyn, i wish she had more scenes with her brother and uncle and less with aragorn and that whole dead end romance.
>>
You thought wrong, virgin.
>>
>>86276402
Women are a different species.
>>
why did he talk about himself in the 3rd person?
he should have said don't come between me and my prey.
>>
>>86276107
Literally what happened in the book.

Then Merry comes up and stabs him in back of the knee. The last piece of human flesh the Nazgul had left was his kneecap or someshit, hence it was his weak spot.

Makes sense to modify it for the film. Why bother explaining all that shit?
>>
>>86276438
I came here to post this. delete pls
>>
>>86276618
Think you're reading it wrong, it describes Merry piercing invisible sinews behind his knee and the sword being made by his bitter enemies is able to deal some excrutiating pain. There's no flesh on the Lich King.
>>
Imagine this movie coming out today
The collective butthurt of altright babbies would be amazing
>>
fine! i'll post them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmTz7EAYLrs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ_-rmuPZC4
>>
>alt right whining intensifies
>>
>>86276851
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34CqtpYE-1k
>>
>>86276736

>Sons of Gondor! Of Rohan! My brothers! I see in your eyes the same fear that would take the heart of me! A day may come when the courage of men fails, when we forsake our friends and break all bonds of fellowship. But it is not this day. An hour of wolves and shattered shields when the age of Men comes crashing down! But it is not this day! This day we fight! By all that you hold dear on this good Earth, I bid you stand! Men of the West!
>>
>>86276930
Has Aragon taken the red pill?
>>
>>86277007
He's a literal race mixer and one of his best friends is a jew (dwarf, read Tolkien's notes). So I'd say yes.
>>
>>86276107
It was pippin stabbing him with a dagger from the witch elf, and I don't think it was supposed to come off as gurllll power, eowyn should have said that line with the feeling of last resort, desperation, and knowing she will die.
>>
>>86276851
i love how she turns her head incase her uncle catches her eye and recognises her

>>86276910
that desperate '...eowyn' at the end, they could have cut that and it would still be powerful but that moment of fear when the end is upon him and he thought he was ready, having regained his honor.
it's the humanity of the trilogy that makes them so special.
>>
>>86277069
Read Tolkien's notes. The intent is very much girl power from a christian perspective.
>>
>>86276107
In Lord of the Rings, Man/Men is the word used for the human race, similar to how Elf or Dwarf is used to describe all elves and dwarves (the race is literally called Man in Lord of the Rings Online, even if your character is female).

This scene is based on a prophecy made by Glorfindel after the Witch King was forced to retreat back to Mordor after losing Angmar:

>"He will not return to this land. Far off yet is his doom, and not by the hand of man will he fall."

So the prophecy appears to point towards an elf as the slayer of the Witch King, but the prophecy actually refers to the secondary meaning of man in Lord of the Rings (gender).
>>
It came across as good ol prophecy trickery to me. Part of the tide turning against Sauron, whereas his victory seemed inevitable before.
>>
It's not obnoxious like it is in GOT or w/e.
>>
>>86277516
>>86277532

this

its literally macbeth tier prophecy bullshit
>>
>>86276438
This is so autistic. Do people actually read this crap?
>>
>>86277577
>do people actually read books?
surprisingly yes
>>
>>86277577
Have you ever read literature with language past a middle-schooler's level of vocabulary before?
>>
>>86277577

t. brainlet
>>
>>86276618
Merry had a short sword he found in the tombs of the Barrow Downs near the Shire. This was near the territory of Angmar, the Witch King's realm when he was alive and in the period after his death when he was under Sauron. The sword was however actually a magic dagger made thousands of years ago specifically to kill the Witch King but had been lost to the ages. When Merry stabbed the Witch King the dagger severed his connection to the mortal realm which meant Eowyn could kill him, although technically anyone could at that point. None of this was included in the film.

Tolkien wrote it because he thought Shakespeare missed a trick with the "No man of woman born" line from the Scottish Play. He thought it would have been better if the prophecy was worldplay and his wife killed him.
>>
>>86276402
I bet Macbeth triggered the fuck out of you too.
>>
>>86276402
She is a man in species, not in gender.
Merry is a halfling in species, but a man in gender.
They together manage to kill the Witch King, the prophecy remains correct because it guaranteed him invincibility upon a technicality, and it's not Feminist crap either.
>>
>>86276607
He takes a threat and tells it like it's a general well-known rule. He's basically telling her how incredibly stupid she is to even try. Also, LotR is written in a faux-medieval style because Tolkien loved mythology and wanted to create his own. And characters in those epics tend to waffle. He could have said "your ass is about to enter a world of pain , dumb bitch" but that wouldn't have quite the same ring to it.
>>
>>86276277
The actual dialogue from the book was much more Shakespearean and much more cringeworthy
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_i3Ax4YJySg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5y99rpk8to&t=1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUu1DA5HCs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3I8I_i8Syw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6LGJ7evrAg
>>
>>86276107
Come on man it was 2003. It was just Jackson trying to sound clever.
>>
>>86277577
It was a different time.
>>
>>86277577
Different time and all that, but yes, Tolkien was more of a chronicler/historian than competent author.

Master of world-building, failure at making anything readable.
>>
File: 28.jpg (71KB, 612x612px) Image search: [Google]
28.jpg
71KB, 612x612px
>>86279908
>>
>>86279932
Tell me again how great he is at writing when I'm reading about yet another feast that goes on for 15 pages describing the food.
>>
>>86280018

what? who do you think you're talking about?
>>
>>86276277
>I wish they threw in a line mentioning the prophecy when Gandalf talked about him.
Didn't Gandalf say "the one no man can kill" in the movie?
>>
>>86279908
This is a tired meme, Tolkien's prose is very good
>>
>>86276107
These images are somewhat misleading. Merry stabs the Witch-King in the leg right after he says "no man can kill me", which lets Eowyn stab him.

>feminist propoganda
Not really. The line from the books is "no living man may hinder me". That still leaves him open to be hurt/killed by hobbits, elves, dwarves, wizards, women, etc. . So he's brought down by a combination of a hobbit and a woman. I thought it was pretty clever tbqh.
>>
>>86280018
>THIS WRITING IS TOO DETAILED, WHY ARE THERE SO MANY WORDS
/lit/ would love you
>>
>>86280018
Try 30 pages describing a cathedral and then hang yourself for not appreciating classics
>>
>>86277577
>>86279908
I haven't read the books in a long time but if I'm remembering properly, only the witch king uses this ultra-flowery, Shakespearian style. Everyone else just sounds vaguely medieval, with the occasional dip into Shakespearian speaking.
>>
>>86276107
>>86280143
When you think about it, "no man can kill me" isn't really a big deal when most people in Middle-Earth aren't human males.
>>
>>86277879
Confusing clumsy grandiloquent prose with highbrow authorship is another layer of plebiness. Begone genre-shitter.
>>
>>86280241
i always thought he meant ''no mortal can kill me'' so human, elf, dwarf, hobbit male or female he was unafraid of in battle.
>>
>>86280108
The slobs in the basement of your local hobby shop aren't an authority on literature, retard. Go peddle your contrarian horseshit somewhere else.
>>
>>86277577
But that was actually quite nice.
>>
>>86280154
/lit/ also has it's head shoved so far up it's own ass that it would come out it's mouth again.
>>
>>86276438
>this guy made a career out of plagiarizing Wagner
Quite impressive when you think about it.
>>
>>86280805
>plagiarizing
t.doesnt understand art
>>
>woman does something
>"WHAT IS THIS SJW FEMINIST EMPOWERMENT BULLSHIT"
can you imagine being like this
>>
>>86281030
depressing thought isn't it.
>>
>>86280976
He took Der Ring des Nibelungen and made it worse, so yeah, it's plagiarizing.
>>
>>86276107
Return of the king is where Hackson really started to shine through.
>FotR
9/10
>TT
8/10
>RotK
7/10
>>
>>86276107
also sort of stolen from Macbeth. "No man born of woman shall kill me."
"I was born from a c-section lol"
>>
>>86281142
>shakespeare is a plagiarizer because he got ispiration from ovid
>>
>>86277152
Damn, that's some real shit anon
>>
Reminder that she got royally fucked up just from touching the witch king but the movie hardly touches on it.
>>
>>86281190
I think the movies were good and way more true to the books than the GOT series is. Hackson only shined during the Hobbit films were he decided to make a book of 300 pages into 3 movies 3 hours each. I don't know if that's really his fault though, maybe the studio made him.
>>
File: image.jay.jpg (71KB, 829x392px) Image search: [Google]
image.jay.jpg
71KB, 829x392px
>>86276851
>>
File: 1468897991633.jpg (121KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
1468897991633.jpg
121KB, 960x960px
>>86280406
>grandiloquent
i see the jest hit a sore spot since you deemed it necessary to go and open thesaurus to prove him wrong
>genre-shitter
pic related, you should go back to /lit/ where you can pretend to only read philosophy with other big ego/low self-esteem autists
>>
>>86281459
is it nice to be you?
>>
>>86276295
Technically merry did kill him as he stabbed him in the back she just tuck the kill steal
>>
So this is what it's come to. Being triggered by wordplay in a movie about wizards and magical rings that came out 14 years ago.

Is anyone actually this frail?
>>
>>86276736
Why? The movie is about white people defending against a nigger invasion. If anything with the shit that happens in Europe it would probably be labelled as a right wing movie.
>>
>>86281459
How can someone write this and not cringe at themselves?
>>
I like LOTR as much as the next guy but I liked this line.

Woman too have a place in red-pilled middle earth.
>>
>>86281220
Shakespeare was a hack, so you're correct.
>>
>>86281774
>>86281774
>The movie is about white people defending against a nigger invasion
Are you an idiot? Even Tolkien would clearly tell you that's not the point. For fuck's sake fallen Númenóreans serve Sauron while the Drúedain never strayed from Eru.
>>
>>86282223
Then why don't the humans just welcome the orcs and make a peaceful multicultural society? Was tolkien racist or something like that? Orc are probably nice people. The men, hobbits, elves are just intolerant of their ways. Sauron literally translates in "peace" in black tongue.
>>
>>86282325
You people should seriously seek help.
>>
>>86282325
Are you going to address my point? Or are you going to LARP when the primary source proves you dead wrong.
>>
>>86282373
Your point is you're making a dead man talk and that's fucking stupid. "Even tolkien would have..."? Oh yeah?

>>86282371
You biggoted orcophobe. I bet you voted for Aragorn. People like you make me sick.
>>
File: clean your room faggot.jpg (141KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
clean your room faggot.jpg
141KB, 1024x683px
>>86278165

>be in tragedy lit class
>talking about macbeth
>bring up that lady macbeth is a villain
>all females in the class make a gasp
>several of them verbally attack me
>>
>>86282458
>dead man talk
You should read Tolkien's letters to his original German editor. It speaks volumes.
>>
File: 1424530091756.jpg (20KB, 251x242px) Image search: [Google]
1424530091756.jpg
20KB, 251x242px
>middle earth nationalists
Back to >>>/pol/
>>
File: image.png (87KB, 174x267px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
87KB, 174x267px
>>86281774
lol
>>
>>86282498
>things that didn't happen etc
>>
>>86282458
I'm not putting words in anyone's mouth. You might want to consider how appalled Tolkien was by South Africa's apartheid policy, he even wrote about it.
>>
>>86282639
>South Africa's apartheid
Which is completely unrelated to a foreign invasion by violent people with barbaric ideology. And if anything, the root of the problem is a multiethnic society which always lead to segregation one way or another. Even nowadays there is a resegregation operated by the minority themselves. Because that's human nature.
Tolkien would probably be horrified to what happen to white people in South Africa right now, by the way.
>>
>>86282762
>segregation
Yeah that's why it takes a fellowship of men, elves, dwarves, wizards and hobbits to start actually cooperating to defeat Sauron. Tolkien had no problem with races marrying each other considering that's literally what Aragorn does.
>>
>>86282498
>I was attacked
>>verbally
>>>attacked???
>"females"

Keep fightin' the good fight!
>>
>>86281449
All the original three movies are still good but the quality started to dip with each installment
>>
>>86276910
K I N O
I
N
O
>>
>>86282862
He had problems with orcs at least. Why no good orc in the fellowship? Aren't there good orcs? Are they racially determined to be evil? Sounds like racism to me.
>>
>>86278641
t. underage
>>
>>86277166
idk why TV has to hate on this, LOTR as a whole is based around the stories of men, this is only a subplot of a warrior woman archetype, it's not like she was an amazing fighter better than all the "stupid dumb men", she just wanted to fight for her homeland.
>>
>>86276107
She wasn't doing it to prove she was as good as a fighter as any man. She was doing it to protect her uncle and save her people. Her "grrl power" comes from a place a compassion like Mulan's, rather than a place of anger and resentment that many other grrl archtypes fall into.
>>
>>86281449
>maybe the studio made him
of course they did, original plan was 2 films but 3 of them means more money
>>
>>86277879
That poster doesn't read past the shitposts on this website
>>
It was prophecy but SJWs lapped it up as some kind of progressive statement and completely took it out of the context of the mythology. Now you can't say anything against that without being called a misogynistic satan worshipper.
>>
>>86281030
>>86281123
I don't know which is more depressing
>woman does something
>WOW LOOK AT THIS SJW FEMINIST BULLSHIT
Or
>woman does something
>WOW LOOK AT HOW EMPOWERING AND PROGRESSIVE THIS IS
Fuck me, and it's only going to get worse
>>
File: 1502425195754.jpg (132KB, 1024x789px) Image search: [Google]
1502425195754.jpg
132KB, 1024x789px
>>86282617
>>86282930

but it did happen
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.