[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is GoT better than LotR because there is moral ambiguity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

File: jon-snow-and-daenerys.jpg (140KB, 736x1104px) Image search: [Google]
jon-snow-and-daenerys.jpg
140KB, 736x1104px
Is GoT better than LotR because there is moral ambiguity and anyone can die?
>>
>>86271283
>anyone can die
are you retarded?
>>
>>86271283
>anyone can die
ask me again when the two of your pic die
>>
>>86271283
The problem is that "moral ambiguity" in GoT usually just ends up meaning that the morally ambiguous character in question is just a prick.
>>
>>86271382
One of them already died. Checkmate.
;^)
>>
>>86271283

>Anyone can die

Clearly you haven't seen the most recent episode
>>
People die in LOTR too....
>>
File: 1hqdefault1.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1hqdefault1.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>le gray means better
>>
File: 1502232783951.jpg (9KB, 591x559px) Image search: [Google]
1502232783951.jpg
9KB, 591x559px
>>86271559
STANNIS COMEBACK CONFIRMED
>>
GRRM's approach to moral ambiguity is having a character act like a good guy 90% of the time and then murder a child for fun.
>>
LOTR takes on the form of myth and uses archetypal characters, themes, and narratives to present a certain moral outlook. Most of these elements are already found in mythological stories in multiple cultures across multiple time periods around the world and throughout history. This makes LOTR easy to recognize and connect with as well as the ability to map it onto and apply its message to the real world without explicitly being an allegory for something in the real world.

GoT takes the form of "realism" and moral relativism. While it may seem realistic and accurate to the way that real people think and act, in a morally grey way, it doesn't really try to say anything about the real world. In terms of applicability you may say, this character is acting like this political figure, but I don't really see anything else beyond that.

In terms of which is better you can look at it via entertainment value or the underlying philosophy of the work. My interpretation of the two is that Tolkien tries to say something about our world, namely how to orient and conduct ourselves in the world, through the characters and narrative of Middle Earth. GRRM doesn't seem to be trying to say anything about our world, except that there is moral ambiguity in the real world. It seems too focused on what is happening in the stories and its own world to really have much substance behind it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.