[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Was Batman v Superman simply too deep for modern audiences

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 5

File: Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg (124KB, 257x380px) Image search: [Google]
Batman_v_Superman_poster.jpg
124KB, 257x380px
Was Batman v Superman simply too deep for modern audiences to understand?
>>
>>86223917
no, it was just shit
>>
obviously
>>
The problem is everyone wanted a fun marvel esque film with Bale's batman. The change of Batman was very jarring for audiences the trailers didn't help things either. Everyone knew about doomsday and wonder woman so the entire film everyone was waiting for them to appear. Poorly managed more than anything, had those plot details not been spoiled several reviews would of had ''twists and turns kept it interesting C Plus
>>
>>86223917
>too deep
Yeah, knee deep

IN SHIT!
>>
>>86223917
>>
>>86224009
>The problem is Snyder can't make a good film and the script wasn't finished when they started shooting
FTFY
>>
>>86223917
If you think this was deep then you should watch Rick and Morty desu
>>
File: 1500903210735.jpg (475KB, 1106x1012px) Image search: [Google]
1500903210735.jpg
475KB, 1106x1012px
>>86223917

>tfw too intelligent for MCU
>>
let's get these out first

>dude MARTHA lmao
if you STILL can't comprehend this you're a literal brainlet
>doomsday
nothing wrong with combining multiple stories into one if the result makes sense
it's a film first, gtfo with that nerd adaptation shit
>lex
brainlet
>why superman doesn't quip
brainlet
>>
>another false flag thread
You know he's getting ready that pic """"""proving""""" DC has shills ready too, transparent as fuck
>>
>neither Batman nor superman nor lexs motivation makes sense
>Snyder throwing philosophy 101 concepts at the script at random without any concern for coherence
>>
I dunno. Maybe not so much to deep as it was too dark and too unpleasant. I mean, there are movies, even action movies, that have some deeper themes but still find an audience because they're an entertaining watch, even if one doesn't pay attention or simply doesn't understand what they're trying to say.

Batman v Superman was a movie that very much expected viewers to watch it on its own terms, sure, it does have good action but it also has very stern and serious characters, long and heavy dialogue, a plot whose details are pretty easy to miss if you don't pay attention, kind of a dark and muted colour scheme, somewhat harsh sound design...

You can go into something like Logan and get an action movie that has quite a bit to say about people confronting their own mortality and getting old and passing the torch to a new generation... but you also get an action movie with a sorta conventional structure and some humor and some lighthearted moments.

So there was very little appeal to a broader audience, even one that's usually on board with super hero movies. I dunno, it just seems like a designated cult movie to me, one that will find an audience willing to engage with it and appreciate it for what it is but it's gonna be kind of a limited one.
>>
>>86223917
No, it was serious, like films used to be.
The problem is that millennials can`t take things seriously and have to be constantly entertained with bright colours, a simple story than anyone with a single-digit IQ can follow while parrots to their friends and send a tweet (all at the same time), and quips to be (((fun))).
>>
>>86224291
>if the result makes sense
How does Doomsday make sense in BvS?
>>
>>86223917
Can someone honestly explain to me why /tv/ defends this shit so ardently? I really don't get it.
>>
>>86224682
It's a rage bait meme
>>
>>86224682
It's a meme you dip
>>
Not at alls
pajeets and mexicans love it and they're some of the lowest people you'll ever meet
>>
>>86224682
Contrarianism. The same reason why they shit on Wonder Woman all the time.
>>
The problem with Batman vs. Superman is that much of the plot doesn't pass the "so what" test. Like Lois's investigation of Lex's mercenaries and their special Lex-branded bullets. An absurd scheme to frame Superman for wrecking an African village which leads to Superman being summoned to court. But so what? The courtroom is blown up before Superman says a word and the entire subplot is never mentioned again. Lex tries to prejudice Batman and Superman against one another by stealing disability checks and sharing articles about Batman branding criminals. So what? The fight is eventually staged by simply kidnapping Superman's mom, rendering Lex's preceding machinations completely pointless. Abysmal storytelling and an unforgiveable waste of time in a movie that despite a bloated 3+ hours length, can't even spare a few minutes to give Superman more than 42 lines or squeeze in scenes for Wonder Woman to talk to anyone other than Bruce Wayne.

In contrast, Marvel's Civil War is a masterpiece of efficient storytelling. Batman vs Superman struggles to effectively tell a story about a couple of superheroes, one villain and a love interest. Civil War manages to credibly weave over a dozen heroes into a tightly-focused story, two of whom are main characters, half of which are properly developed and characterised and all of whom, even the "guest stars", get something cool to say or do. Fucking FALCON gets more dialogue in Civil War than Superman does in his own movie! "Quip"-filled though it may be, the conversations in Civil War flow like real banter between real people, and do a good job of conveying the personalities of the characters. Zack Snyder seems to believe a few pompous pronouncements and Biblical motifs are enough to secure the audiences empathy with his heroes. But they aren't. Hence Batman vs Superman's 27% RT score, Razzie award, and failure to reach $1bn despite starring the two biggest names in the comic book industry.
>>
>>86224682

It's the closest the genre has to a genuine epic. It's pretty clunky in parts but it does things other cape movies just don't do and treats it's material with a sense of gravity absolutely noone, that includes Nolan, ever approached it with.

There was an attempt there to make every single frame look artistic, every single line meaningful and every singe minor detail matter.

Again, some will argue and have argued that it collapses under its own weight as soon as it starts but you can't accuse them of not putting in the effort and wether you think it's a failure or a success you gotta admit that there's nothing like it in the genre.
>>
File: whedon2.jpg (29KB, 536x262px) Image search: [Google]
whedon2.jpg
29KB, 536x262px
>>86224682
Hi Whedon! What are you up ta?
>>
File: 1502231977211.gif (1MB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
1502231977211.gif
1MB, 218x218px
>>86224940
>Every single frame look artistic
>Every single line meaningful
>>
>>86223917
Literally yes. The Freudian themes of Batman's character interwoven with an overarching plot about Superman/God's relationship with the first world was too much for normies looking for "DO WE HAVE ANY ORANGE SLICES".
>>
>>86224705
>>86224711
>>86224722
>the absolute state of pleb/tv/
I defend it because i think it's a good movie
>>
>>86224722
yeah imdb scores are all that matter
fuck discussion and opinions.
>>
>>86225031
this man has one last chance to uncuck himself

do you believe in him, /tv/? so far he's underwhelming
>>
>>86225159
Yes, fuck dumb discussion and stupid opinions.

Surely you don't think a post like >>86224291 is quality?
>>
>>86225158
No you don't
>>
>>86224319
How many timezones do they cover? I think they've talked about having a discord so there must be a bit of international cooperation to make up /tv/'s catalog so routinely. Would love a chance to see "behind the scenes" for a week.
>>
>>86223917
It was too heavy, audiences want snarky nolan movies or quippy marvel movies.
>>
>>86225159
>yeah imdb scores are all that matter
>fuck discussion and opinions.

Are you under the impression that IMDB scores do not reflect "opinions"?
>>
>>86225304

He's not a good movie director and he never will be. Everything good he made was on tv. And he made some pretty damn good stuff for tv but from the last trailer it's clear that's already blanding up Justice League till very little of Snyder's original vision will be left.
>>
>Was Batman v Superman simply too deep for modern audiences to understand?
Yes, it's the Rick and Morty of films
>>
>>86224732
I feel like the extended edition did a much better service at developing Lex's scheme to pit the two against each other and made it seem less pointless (though they still force you to make a lot of assumptions and imaginations about how they react to each turn of events since the development of their contempt towards each other completely cuts off after the bombing of the capital building scene).

Martha, that horrid coincidence, didn't have to be an awful, terrible mechanism to get Batman to change his mind about Superman. Coincidences are fine if scarce and under control, but there was no build up to Bruce's sensitivity over that name. A Batman prequel would have done the job if they had the care to explore the mentality of a much darker, more hurt and emotionally scared Batman where they knitted in moments where the mention of Bruce's mother, or simply her first name, would trigger him. Maybe if his mother told him some special meaningful advice that had a double meaning and that second meaning wasn't revealed to Bruce or the audience until his confrontation with Superman and it became obvious what his mother really meant, then maybe Martha would've worked for at least most people watching the movie.

Anyway, moments and hidden biblical motifs shouldn't take priority over the plot, and that's really the most fundamental reason why this movie bombed the reviews.
>>
>>86223952
FPBP
>>
all my friends hated this film. I didnt.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.