[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It took me quite a while to grasp the full extend of the genius

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: friends.jpg (83KB, 500x695px) Image search: [Google]
friends.jpg
83KB, 500x695px
It took me quite a while to grasp the full extend of the genius of Friends. There are streaks of episodes that are consistently comedic genius, some streaks of rather formulaic sitcom making.

It took me a while to notice how the friends for me are at their best when they are lying, mean, childish, petty and generally really depraved of a healthy emotional life. That's where the best comedy lies as far as I can tell.
It has its feel good moments, but not as much as people make it out to be. If you really watch and understand Friends you see that it's not really a typical feel-good show. It's incredible how they all still seem so incredibly lovable, which is a testament to the talent and chemistry that the actors have. Actually, the show is not so far from the level of unrealistic human depravity seen in Seinfeld.

And Phoebe is brutal pretty much all the time.
Definitely a very underrated character.
She's the anti-hippie.

Anyways, Friends thread please!
>>
>>86216128
I like friends too mate
>>
>>86216208
Seriously, I'm 28 now and watching everything for the 3d time. I feel like this is the first time I really understand it, its really incredible how the show was made. It's in the same ranks of art as the best classical composers and the best literature, if you ask me. It deserves to be studied and taken 'seriously' you know... It eluded me for quite a while, just looks like a funny show with heart, but it's much more. It's really amazing to me how much your perspective on things can change when you dive deeper. So many brilliant stuff just goes unnoticed, its so easy to think that you have it figured out, for me.
>>
>>86216413
> It's in the same ranks of art as the best classical composers and the best literature
I like friends too mate but I don't know about that
>>
I kind of feel the samw way but maybe not to the same extent. For me Friends officially lost that whatever spark in London. When the return from London and Monica and Chandler become an Item is when things take a turn for the worst.
>>
>>86216446
It's an unpopular opinion and it's very complicated to explain. But this show works on surface level for the masses, but also on a deeper intellectual level. That's where the real good stuff is and they managed to create it consistently in periods. It's basically magic going on.
Like how unlikely a group like The Beatles is to come together.

I started to get it when I realized that almost everything they say and converse about is pretty fucked up. Just imagine how characters like these could exist in real life. It's all completely absurd apart from how it just looks like on the surface. Yet it is inspired by real life anxieties, fears, desires and conventions, which is what makes it relatable. They act out ours for us.
>>
>>86216519
It gets formulaic for a little while, but anon, it picks up again for sure from episode 15 from season 8, The One With The Birthing Video.

They completely piss on the idea of Joey falling in love with Rachel. They did it for the comedic possibilities. Joey's heartache is unapologetically abused to create hilarious situations out of his misery and shame. And for some reason they manage to make the eventual emotional support for each other feel real too.
>>
Friends < Enemies
>>
>>86216128
I will never stop watching Friends.
Never.
I'm a 30 year old man that still watches it almost daily.
It's very soothing to me for some reason...
>>
>>86216975
Remember that time when Ross intuitively acted giddily when Joey told him he was in love with someone 'from work' (Rachel) but felt bad about it?
He thought it was a bit funny as Joey gets all the ladies and now he can help Joey for once and not feel as helpless as a lover.

Ross is like 'Joey Tribbiani without a date on valentine's day? What going on huh, girl trouble? Heh.'
Then Joey is a bit guarded and says 'Sort of, ha ha'.
Ross replies with a giddy 'Really?'
Then Joey says like, legit in pain and a bit angrily 'You don't have to seem so happy about it'. Lol.
A subtle irony to me is that Joey has never been in love he just fucks. His character has had literally no love life up until then.
>>
File: 1501851673082.jpg (77KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1501851673082.jpg
77KB, 500x500px
Friends is trash
>>
>>86217544
No, you're not smart enough to fully understand it, but you can understand what's going on on a surface level and find that to be uninteresting.
Congratulations, you're one step beyond a casual.
You're also probably on that level where you feel better about yourself because you don't like things that many/most people do like. It makes you feel special to think that for someone with your intellect the other people's normal stuff is for you like going back to watching the Teletubbies. They're all basically dumb children that want to see the same shit over and over to you. This makes you feel slightly less unhappy about your miserable life, so you recon it's important to hold on to.
>>
>>86217544
This is true. Friends was literally pleb garbage, wasn't good then, even worse now.
>>
>>86217544
you're just triggered by the fact that the characters in the show have regular sex
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.