[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is it about The Thin Red Line that puts itself head over

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: the_thin_red_line_10.png (2MB, 1920x816px) Image search: [Google]
the_thin_red_line_10.png
2MB, 1920x816px
What is it about The Thin Red Line that puts itself head over shoulders above Dunkirk?
I just can't put my finger on it, What I watched invoked a similar feeling to when I first saw TTRL, but I can't say for certain why.
All I know is that TTRL does just about everything better than Dunkirk, but I can't quantify how or why.
>>
>>85943067
Dunkirk is about cowards trying to flee the advancing Germans.

Thin Red Line is about the most brutal combat in the rainforests of Guadalcanal surrounded by beautiful nature, yet hidden dangers.

My honest problem with Dunkirk was the historical irrelevance of it. Brits love pretending how it was a miracle etc and the moment they "won the war", but its an anecdote in the European theatre, when the real war was yet to begin a year later.

The US sending inexperienced 18 year old marines into combat against veteran Japanese soldiers (China war) was the only thing stopping the Japanese navy from cutting off the Australian continent from US support. If Australia fell, British colonies would have been done and the US would have been much more hard pressed to win in Midway.

tl:dr

>Guadalcanal was a turning point in a brutal and unopposed Japanese onslaught (beating US and Britain in the region previously)

>Dunkirk was a bunch of inexperienced and irrelevant troops losing a 6 week conquest of France not really changing anything in the outcome of the war.
>>
>>85944113
>My honest problem with Dunkirk was the historical irrelevance of it.
Yeah, what prevented Germany from attempting a landing on the British coast wasn't poorly equipped troops, it was the RAF and Royal Navy. Even if the brits had been wiped out on that shitty beach it wouldn't have changed the course of the war.
>>
>>85944113
>>85944326
Samefag
>>
>>85944113
I understand the contexts are different, I was more alluding to a war backdrop, without it being the focus, much like a Theater Play.

It's a big thing I noted in Dunkirk, how at any given time there are at max a dozen characters with dialogue, and every dogfight is between 4 or less planes.

Even the quintessential beach shots don't nearly capture the 400,000 troops stranded, nor the hundreds of vessels sent to pick them up.

The entire thing felt scaled down
>>
>>85944435

You know there is a poster counter right?
>>
It's the grass mate
>>
>>85944550
that reminders, why the fuck was the sand so foamy and light, it didn't seem like sand at all
>>
Thin red line was shit. I didn't like it's pacing or character development. I read the book beforehand so had far higher expectations.
>>
>>85944614
its called sea foam lad
>>
>>85944526
You know changing your IP is as hard as opening Clover on your phone right?
>>
>>85943067
It has a story. It has characters. It has dialogue. It has sincere feelings and authentic feeling violence.

Its significantly better.

Dunkirk is a hollywood PG War movie. Its very well executed but it has nothing to say. Its 100% focused only on a gritty experience.
>>
>>85943067
The simple yet effective crescendoing theme song in Thin Red Line

BTFO Nolan's literal ticking clock
>>
>>85944711
For what purpose? Not everybody is as autistic as you.
>>
>>85944989
I'm not even the guy you were originally replying to. Relax. It's not that serious. You said something dumb and I informed you why it was invalid. That's all.
>>
>>85945068
I'm not that other guy either. What I said about autism and purpose is valid enough though.
>>
I guarantee nobody ITT was alive to see the Thin Red Line when it first came out in theaters. It was a huge flop and people were pretty upset about it
>>
>>85945778
SPR was more appealing to me back then because muh firefights but even as a dumb teenager I enjoyed the thin red line a lot
>>
>>85944113

Why does it matter though? What's wrong with telling a story from the war that doesn't necessarily have relevance to the outcome of the War? Doesn't really change the fact that it's a good story.

>Brits love pretending how it was a miracle etc and the moment they "won the war"

Maybe that's true for British people but the movie certainly didn't say that. Hell, the last line of dialogue was from Churchill's speech when he basically said now we have enough men to hold the line until America comes to our rescue.
>>
TTRL was made by a competent director
>>
>>85946233
It's a bit upsetting because even if the film doesn't say it, it's being repeated ad nauseam by the advertising around it. "The event that shaped history" and all that tripe.
>>
>>85943067
TTRL was so fucking boring
Just bunch of shitty pretentious poetry narrated by actors reading their lines over some pretty nature shots.
Of course dumbfucks on /tv/ will pretend it's some high art and call it kino to sound smart and intelligent.
>>
>>85944670
the thin red line was around about the greatest movie ever - if u cannot apreciate its greatness u are plebian.
>>
>war movie
>zero blood

i'll pass thanks
>>
File: 1418048534075.jpg (727KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1418048534075.jpg
727KB, 3000x3000px
>>85943067
Because based Terry is a good director and Nolan is a hack
>>
File: u fckin weasel.jpg (42KB, 400x589px) Image search: [Google]
u fckin weasel.jpg
42KB, 400x589px
>>85944113
>not really changing anything in the outcome of the war.
>>
>>85947057
he's a retard
With BEF lost, UK would sue for peace, USA wouldn't be dragged into war and Germans would defeat SU
>>
>>85947128
>UK would sue for peace

>Churchill
>Sue for peace
>Over a measly few 100k soldiers

Top fucking kek
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.