[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just watched the Plinkett TPM video. Qui-Gon is the main character

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: featured4.jpg (961KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
featured4.jpg
961KB, 800x1200px
Just watched the Plinkett TPM video.
Qui-Gon is the main character of TPM.
He doesn't change.

MacReady is the main character of The Thing.
He doesn't change.

wtf I hate The Thing now
>>
DUDE PIZZA ROLLS LMAO
>>
>>85926628
I haven't watched the Plinkett TPM video. Not all of it, anyway. I think it was split into seven or nine parts on YouTube and I watched the first part.

Does he say that a protagonist must change in order to be a good protagonist, or something? That seems a bit silly. Some great protagonists function as well as they do because of their distinct lack of change. The Man with No Name, for one. John McClane, for another, and those two are just off the top of my head.
>>
>>85926628
MacReady does change. His clothes change more than a few times.

Qui-Gon always wears the brown and beige robes.
>>
>>85928257
He actually said that TPM didn't have a protagonist at all.
But Qui Gon was the protagonist.

The change thing may have been his fallback, but I can't remember.
>>
>>85928307
Qui Gon is a monk though.
>>
>>85928321
Qui-Gon is undoubtedly the primary protagonist of TPM, yes.
>>
>>85928384
Wait what? I thought it was obi wan.
>>
>>85926628
Childs and Mac were both human at the end.
>>
>>85928465
Obi-Wan spends half the movie sitting on the ship with a black guy twiddling his thumbs.
>>
>>85928494
I thought he drank from the molotov cocktail?
>>
qui gon is the mentor, the protagonist is anakin
how can qui gon be the protagonist if he dies mid way through the flick lmfao are these niggas for real ?
>>
>>85928528
Do you believe everything people tell you?
>>
>>85928528
I guess it's plausible but I like the ending best if they're both human but can't trust each other and it's all futile anyway since there's no way out.
>>
>>85928563
I do if I then witness it myself, yes.
>>
>>85928539
>mid way through
No?????
>>
>>85928500
Yeah but what the fuck is qui gon's deal? We know nothing about him, what are his motivations? At least obi wan you can root for him, we want to see him become a jedi master and it also sets up the parallel for ani in episodes 2 and 3. Qui Gon wants to...investigate a trade blockade? And his death is only a plot point to motivate the true main character (obi wan) into fufilling his goal. Callin Qui Gon the main character of phantom menace is like calling Ben Kenobi the main character of A New Hope.
>>
Thought MacReady was more of a loner, getting drunk alone in his shack while everyone hung out in the rec room? By the end of the film, he's the leader who's willing to kill himself to stop the Thing.
>>
File: 1499396881582.jpg (42KB, 640x430px) Image search: [Google]
1499396881582.jpg
42KB, 640x430px
>>85928751
>We know nothing about him, what are his motivations?
What?
Qui Gon is our full fledged Jedi to guide us through the galaxy pre-Empire. He is a maverick who often disagrees with the other Jedi.
>>
>>85928721
This. You guys are seriously misremembering the movie.
>>
>>85928751
>Callin Qui Gon the main character of phantom menace is like calling Ben Kenobi the main character of A New Hope.
Have ever even seen TPM?
Qui Gon has double the screentime of Old Ben.
>>
File: 4903373-3407587541-the_w.png (1MB, 867x921px) Image search: [Google]
4903373-3407587541-the_w.png
1MB, 867x921px
The plinkett character test is fucking stupid, think of your favorite character from fiction and realize he doesn't pass it, I'll start.
>>
>>85928751
That's hardly a fair comparison, Qui-Gon had far more screentime in TPM than Obi-Wan had in ANH.

We begin the movie following Qui-Gon and his apprentice. Qui-Gon is a full-fledged Jedi Knight, the first we've ever seen (unless you count Luke in RotJ). He and his apprentice are on a mission, during which he saves the life of Jar Jar without Obi-Wan present. They then rescue the Queen of Naboo and are stranded en route to Coruscant on Tatooine, where he leaves the ship, again without Obi-Wan, and meets Anakin, frees him, and returns. Then he pleads his case to the council on Coruscant. Then they return to Naboo where he meets his fate.

Think of it this way; with the exception of the last five minutes of the film after Qui-Gon dies, what the hell does Obi-Wan do without him? And yet we see Qui-Gon do heaps without Obi-Wan. His apprentice is a supporting character, a window, as you said, to episodes 2 and 3. Qui-Gon is our protagonist; it's his journey we see unfold, and it's him that the characters of Anakin, Jar Jar and Padme all meet, his story they attach themselves to.
>>
>>85928931
See, I'm sure you're not a singular genius. You're some dude online, and you get that Qui Gon was the protagonist.

Why do people listen to a guy like Mike who thinks TPM doesn't have a protagonist?
>>
>>85929074
Well, he's funny. I mean, this is the same effect that a lot of talk-show hosts (both liberal and conservative) have. Offer an opinion with a few wisecracks thrown in and people tend to agree more often than if you just say it dry.
I'm not a psychologist but I'm sure there's probably some mumbo-jumbo term for getting people to agree with you through the use of humour. Some mental correlation between amusement and agreement.
>>
File: StarwarsepisodeVIIIcharacter.jpg (99KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
StarwarsepisodeVIIIcharacter.jpg
99KB, 960x540px
>>85928927
>favorite character from fiction is Geralt

oh geez
>>
>>85928321
>>85928384
>>85928465
>>85928500
You guys are fucking retarded, Anakin is the protagonist of the entire prequel trilogy, just like Luke is the protagonist of the entire OT. The main character of TPM is Anakin. How are people seriously this dense
>>
>>85929740
Anakin is certainly a big player in TPM, but ge doesn't become THE protagonist until AotC.
>>
>>85928931
Fair enough I can see that as an argument for Qui Gonn being the main character. I still don't think he's an especially good main character though. Usually a good static character will be at least well rounded, such that his principles, characteristics and motivations are well defined enough at the beginning and there's no need necessarily for any kind of change. Qui Gonn is just flat.
>>
>>85929947
>such that his principles, characteristics and motivations are well defined enough at the beginning
This describes Qui Gon. We see through the film that he is fiercely dedicated to what hr thinks is right, even at the cost of his ostracization.
>>
>>85929914
Wrong. He is the protagonist in every movie. That's the whole fucking point. Protagonist =/= most screentime, you plebs
>>
>>85930148
black dick
>>
>>85930044
but what are those things? what are his principles? his motivations? what does he desire? Like Luke in episode 4 clearly what he desires is adventure, wanderlust to get off tatoine etc. This makes him a somewhat compelling protagonist because these are base human wants and desires. a lot of people can empathise with him. What is Qui Gonn's motivation?

I guess you can argue his desire is to safely complete his mission but is that a compelling motivation for a character that's supposed to be a maverick and someone who disagrees often with the jedi council? You can also argue that his motivation is to look after obi wan and facilitate his training then why is he so obsessed with anakin and completely forgets about obi wan like half way through? his last words to obi wan are to train anakin.

You could then argue that his whole motivation has been to train anakin this entire time. But the means for that doesn't get introduced until like half way into the movie. I feel like Qui Gonn Jinn is the main character of this movie but at the same time he's the most side character esque main character of any movie ever. He's just a tool to move the story forward most of the time instead of being the agent of change that moves it forward himself. He has no personal convictions, all his personal convictions and beliefs are just what the story need at the time.
>>
>>85930650
?????
His personal conviction is his belief in what he believes is right more than he believes in bureaucracy is what defines him.
He is supposed to be on a mission, and yet he lets the force guide him to free a little slave boy and take it with him. Again the code, but with the force.

Qui-Go is the the lynchpin of the entire saga, the only Jedi who hadn't lost his way.
>>
>>85930805
>Again
*against
whoops
>>
>>85928927
>Having a favourite character from the whole of fiction
Autism.
>>
>>85928931
>Qui-Gon is a full-fledged Jedi Knight
That's why he wears the robes, right? Because it wasn't just something Obi Wan wore because the circumstances. And also that's why every Jedi needs to have a lightsaber.
>>
>>85931335
The robes being Jedi attire was established by both Luke's outfit and the outfits of the force ghosts on Endor in RotJ.

We've been over this.
>>
>>85929740
Anakin doesn't even show up until halfway through the film, and he's hardly a point of relation for the audience. He's a side-character in TPM, nothng more.
He's the Lando Calrissian of TPM.
>>
>>85926628
MacReady does change. He goes from being a helicopter pilot to an alien slaying badass.
>>
>>85931965
That's not really what I meant. Not change in action, but in Attitude.
Maccready was always the kind of guy to do what he did. He didn't change.
>>
>>85931335
Also, it's stated he's a Jedi.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.