[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjV FmaKtksg The initial re

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 7

File: syke.png (304KB, 633x437px) Image search: [Google]
syke.png
304KB, 633x437px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjVFmaKtksg

The initial reaction to Phantom Menace was overwhelmingly positive. What happened?
>>
Plebs have pleb tastes
>>
>The initial reaction to Phantom Menace was overwhelmingly positive.
Among people who stood in line for weeks to see it, yes. Most other people were disappointed, and reviews were mediocre.
>>
>>85899414
it was a fun popcorn flick if you turned your brain off
>>
>>85899414

People always want starwars to be better, to recapture the original glory.
>>
The hype was real m8, people were crazy for it and they couldn't possibly step back and look at it without bias.

I remember the hype for the DVD release too.
>>
>>85899414
Babyfigs will never understand the Hype phantom menace had behind it.
I was in literal denial about it untill attack of the clones came out and I had the sneaking suspicion that these movies might actually suck.
>>
It was the best prequel and actually has original ideas. Unlike VII
>>
>>85899414
Alright, I'm a legit oldfag. By oldfag I mean I'm old. Everyone was excited for Phantom Menace strictly because of the light saber battles. That's it, there's no deep truth to the story. We were fucking nerds that liked Star Wars and it was nice to see them actually get into a sword fight. Really, that's the entire selling point of the movie.

If you want to break it down, the original trilogy was great. But a new generation that grew up on it wanted to see that big sword battle. That's really fucking it. That's why it was all flipping around and "karate in the garage" foolishness. It's just demographics man.
>>
>>85899414
>What happened?
recency bias, same thing happened to me then, same thing happened to me now with TFA. You get really excited for it because it's Star Wars, and the shittiness of the movie doesn't really hit you because you're still being a fanboy about the whole thing, but that eventually dies down and you're hit with the reality of the situation.
>>
>>85899807
true, I was hyped for TFA simply because I wanted new Star Wars and I was disappointed by how much of an empty sequel bait it was
At least all the prequels had their own complete stories
>>
i don't get why people hate Ep1 the most, it's the most similar to the old ones
>>
>>85899414
Probably convinced themselves that it was good.
I did the same thing back in '99.
>>
>>85900038
fucking true bro, first time I saw I said well we're off to a great start, 2nd time I felt quite mixed on it and convinced myself it was still atleast good, then by the third time streaming it I had to pause it and walk away it was pissing me off how poor it was and how unimaginative, now I h8 it
>>
People liked the prequels until the Plinkett reviews made it cool to hate on them.
>>
>>85900192
2 is easily the worst.
The fucking love story in that movie is the worst stuff in the whole series. At least 1 has the pod race and some practical locations and effects.
>>
File: 1500236024480.png (357KB, 496x374px) Image search: [Google]
1500236024480.png
357KB, 496x374px
>>85899414
Id watch all 3 prequels on a loop for a weekend before I'd watch TFA ever again.
>>
>>85900283
This isn't true.
I hated Ep 1 back in 2001 when I got a bit older and rewatched it with my brother.
It was terrible.
>>
>>85900252
I went back and saw the 3D rerelease just to see it on the big screen again and it was the most fucking boring movie I've ever sat through in a theatre.
>>
>>85899414
there's a long gap from 1983 to 1999
people wanted more star wars and it was a huge event
but now, those days are over with disney releasing starwars movies a year
>>
>>85900192
Because it was the biggest disappointment. AOTC is much, much worse, but people were expecting less after TPM. You have to remember that TPM was hyped up to an insane amount, and that kind of disappointment leaves a lasting impression. Also, by the time AOTC came out TPM hate was such a meme, people just kept repeating that it was the worst SW movie.
>>
>>85900363
it really drags through the whole middle section, had a strong opening (not including crappy cgi droids and obvious green screen) and a half decent end but naboo to coruscont is fucking dull
>>
>>85900518
There are a lot of things wrong with the beginning.
Force speed for example should have never existed outside of games.
>>
>>85900038
I walked out of TFA and said to my two star wars super nerd fans "did we just see a remade new hope but Luke's a girl now??" They got so pissy and defensive and on recollection I can tell they were both upset but just couldn't admit the movie wasn't that good. Per most star wars mega nerd fans.
>>
>>85900708

you were right but nobody likes being duped.
>>
>>85900637
force speed when, sorry it's been ages since I last saw it
>>
TPM is the best of the prequels and I cannot accept people thinking otherwise -- ESPECIALLY people who think RotS isn't extremely overrated and a bloated movie through and through.
>>
>>85900750
When they were fighting the droids in the beginning.
The ones with the force fields. It's never used or addressed again, and they really needed it with Maul.
>>
>>85900708
l would have had the same response desu but you were right anon took me 3 watches to truly understand the depths of their failure.
>>
>>85900839
Yep forgot that bit, must have blacked it out
>>
>>85900708
>They got so pissy and defensive and on recollection I can tell they were both upset but just couldn't admit the movie wasn't that good.
I was like that too when I first saw it because of what >>85900038 said
>>
>>85900935
I've watched these movies more times than I care to admit, but I've only watched TFA and Rogue One once.
>>
>>85900788
>RotS isn't extremely overrated and a bloated movie through and through.
I don't get it. ROTS is easily better. Pacing, less shitty dialogue, better acting, amazing soundtrack, etc.
>>
>>85901032
It's not, though. The pacing feels somewhat rushed, the dialogue is still Lucas-tier, the acting is at best the same, the soundtrack doesn't really stand-out more than TPM, the story feels crammed to tie up every loose end Lucas could by the end, the saber fight between Obi-Wan and Anakin was hilarious and barely had any tension; the CGI is STILL a glaring issue, etc. etc.

It's just not as good as people wish it was.
>>
>>85900935
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MY4tXUtu9_I
Here it is.
>>
>>85900984
| still will watch them if they happen to be on the TV but TFA never again, they at least had original ideas Not crappy shallow hollywood remakes
>>
>what happened?
They actually saw it.
>>
>>85901032
You mean the fight that's 20 minutes too long?
Or how about when Anakin murders a bunch of children for ??? reason?
>>
>>85900321
this, I went to the cinema with my little cousin and holy shit. the worst star wars shit I never see even worst than knight of the old republic online.
>>
>>85901159
the opening space battle sequence is amazing, that long panning shot is beautiful, the previous 2 did not have cinematography like that
>>
>>85899414
back when america was still sort of white...now it's all over.

lmao
>>
File: Picture 322.png (45KB, 1419x111px) Image search: [Google]
Picture 322.png
45KB, 1419x111px
>>85899414
>The initial reaction to Phantom Menace was overwhelmingly positive
>>
>>85901318
The opening space battle is amazing... for 10 seconds.

TPM's flying scenes were of the same quality -- just replace "I'll try spinning" with "This is where the fun begins."

Again, it's people being impressed with the visuals than the product. RotS just feels so bloated and crammed. It had to make up for AotC AND answer all the questions in one movie and did a poor job on both ends.
>>
>>85901159
>The pacing feels somewhat rushed,
That's probably because, by Lucas's own admission, he left 80% of the plot he wanted to tell in prequels solely for the third movie, and he freaked out about how to fit the necessary things in.

He really should have planned things better and not wasted the first two movies on pointless bullshit.
>>
>>85901406
>The negative reviews were already starting to arrive by that point, but it didn’t seem to matter. Time and Newsweek, both of which had raved about the original Star Wars, gave Phantom Menace the thumbs-down. “The actors are wallpaper, the jokes are juvenile, there’s no romance, and the dialogue lands with the thud of a computer-instruction manual,†thundered Peter Travers in Rolling Stone. “Joyless, overly reverential and impenetrably plotted,†concluded the Washington Post. Variety complained that the movie lacked any emotional pull, wonder, or awe. There were quite a few positive reviews, though, including one from the biggest name in criticism. Roger Ebert had been personally briefed by Lucas and was on the director’s wavelength. “Dialogue isn’t the point,†he insisted. “These movies are about new things to look at.â€

>At first, moviegoers seemed to agree with Ebert. Gallup released a Phantom Menace poll—in fact, Gallup released three Phantom Menace polls, because that’s how big a deal the franchise was—taken between May 21 and June 19, 1999. In the first poll, 52 percent of people who saw the movie described it as “excellentâ€; by the third poll, that number had fallen to 33 percent. But most of the balance had shifted into the “good†category. The percentage of people describing the movie as “poor†never went above 6 percent—about the same as the percentage of respondents calling it “one of the greatest movies I’ve ever seen.â€
>>
>>85901318
Is it more or less impressive than the intro to Dawn of War?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtAH7kGEqic
>>
>>85901592
>Negative reviews may have slowed ticket sales, but only in the sense that a pile of sandbags can slow a tsunami. Prerelease estimates put the opening weekend gross at between $100 million and $190 million; as it turned out, Phantom took a week to reach $134 million. But the film was raking in money all the same. “It’s entirely critic-proof,†said NPR film critic Elvis Mitchell, who wasn’t a fan. “It doesn’t matter if this movie is basically like an intergalactic version of C-Span. They’re talking about treaties for two hours. No. People will go. They want to see it because they want to be part of the phenomenon.â€
>>
File: 1501381093914.jpg (68KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1501381093914.jpg
68KB, 700x700px
Every time I see the shills come out to shit on George, I have to wonder: What does Disney have to gain from demonizing George so much? What do they get out of attempting to ruin this man's legacy?

Then it hits me: They've been doing this for years.

Think about it. All that hatred of George Lucas? All those bad reviews of the prequels? Disney has been behind it all. They've been slowly getting people to hate George and his vision of Star Wars because they want to tarnish his name. They're so jealous of his success that they want the whole world to hate the Star Wars prequels, simply because they're unlike anything Hollywood had ever seen at the time. Think about it: How come, in every video you watch of the premier of Episode 1, everyone comes out praising it and talking about how good it was, yet shills will tell you that everyone "always" hated the prequels? They're trying to force their revisionist history upon us because, deep down, the Mouse knows that it can never release something as genuine and brilliant as the prequels.

What do they hope to accomplish from this? Simple: the destruction of the Star Wars name as a whole.

After decades of hatred from "fans" and paid critics, George finally gave up. He decided to sell Star Wars, because of how much it was ruining his life. And guess who was already waiting at the door, pen and legally-binding contract in hand? Disney, of course. This was their plan all along, see: Disney already controls a good majority of the entertainment industry, so what do they have to gain from buying Star Wars? Well, let me ask you this: Why would they get rid of decades of lore and world-building, just to release a mediocre remake of ANH?

Disney doesn't actually care about releasing a good Star Wars film, they just want it so they can destroy it. A simple case of "If I can't have it, no one can."

They've been playing this game for 18 years, and it looks like they've finally won.

Game over, George. Game over, Star Wars.
>>
>>85900984
I've tried 4 times to watch TFA again after seeing it in the theaters. I get 15 minutes in everytime and just can't finish it.
>>
>>85901861
It's boring as shit, the initial hype is gone.
All I'm left with is feeling like I should be watching A New Hope instead.
>>
>>85901763
I dont know if it really worked most people with a brain could see TFA for the shallow remake it was.
>>
>>85901763
but they literally have it now so why are they still destroying it?
>>
>>85901712
GOAT intro to any game ever.
>>
>>85900728
I think that's why I hate TFA so much. I walked into it thinking "okay a new star wars lets see what's up" and I got a remade new hope. If they would wouldhave just said we remade new hope I wouldn't care but it was wasa full on bait and switch. And apparently TLJ is just remade empire. So bravo Disney.
>>
>>85902004
>Disney doesn't actually care about releasing a good Star Wars film, they just want it so they can destroy it. A simple case of "If I can't have it, no one can."
>>
File: JUST REHASH MY SHIT UP.png (1MB, 1920x948px) Image search: [Google]
JUST REHASH MY SHIT UP.png
1MB, 1920x948px
>>85902078
>And apparently TLJ is just remade empire
literally down to remaking scenes
>>
>>85902128
>A simple case of "If I can't have it, no one can."
but why have that mentality if they literally have it?
I think you're mistaking incompetence with malice, they just keep hiring talentless Hacks like JJ because they don't know any better
>>
The first thing I heard leaving the theatre back then was some fat nerd saying he couldn't believe how shit it was.
>>
>>85902221
The Star Wars name is going to make money no matter what. It's almost like a game: See how much you can rape the lore and ruin these beloved characters before it stops being profitable (Which is never).
>>
>>85902156

>Using a salt lake bed instead of snow

>We're so new guize!
>>
>>85902156
Is right and it's so sad. A global media corporation with unlimited reach and resources is shockingly lazy. Maybe it's because they know that Star Wars will make money no matter what. It's sad that they're doing this to the franchise.

'1' had the best CGI of the prequels, although the story left much to be desired and the characters lacked development. As a whole, the prequels main shortcoming was their failure to sufficiently inform on the original trilogy.
>>
>>85901159
>The pacing feels somewhat rushed
A bless after the lethargy of the other two prequels
>the dialogue is still Lucas-tier
No trade disputes, two lines about love, I'd say already better than AOTC. NOOOOOOOOO, "she lost the will to live" and "only a Sith deals in absolutes" are bad, yeah
>the acting is at best the same
Not as stiff as before, but that's just my opinion.
>the story feels crammed to tie up every loose end Lucas could by the end
very true

The other points while legit didn't make the movie less enjoyable to me.
>>
Daily Reminder that Lucas said Phantom Menace was the only Star Wars movie that turned out exactly like he wanted.
Any quality the original trilogy has, it has in spite of, not because of, George Lucas.
>>
>>85902468
he also said he went too far in a few places
>>
>>85902468
People tend to forget that Lucas was a hack who lucked out.

The best of the OT has the least Lucas involvement.
>>
>>85902468
>Daily Reminder that Lucas said Phantom Menace was the only Star Wars movie that turned out exactly like he wanted.
That's kind of funny considering it's basically just the rejected first draft of Star Wars with different character/planet names, and some small plot details. I guess he might have been happy he finally got back to ripping off The Hidden Fortress.
>>
>>85902579
except ANH is the best one
>>
>>85899414
people started thinking about the story
>>
>>85902662
I'd argue, but you're just being a contrarian.
>>
>>85902662
He's not the reason it's good. He had friends help hm with the script constantly, and right before filming started, he got Willard Huyck and Gloria Katz to rewrite all the dialogue. His edit of the film was also awful, and without his wife recutting it, it would probably have been a pretty shit movie.
>>
>>85901978
It doesn't matter. All they care about is how it made 2 billion
>>
>>85902897
But... the dialogue in all the movies is terrible?
>>
>>85902744
>contrarian
it's the most highly rated one retard, I love ESB but it's really nothing like the fun adventure of ANH
>>
Contrarian internet hipsters happened
>>
5 > 4 > 3 > 6 > 1 > 7 > RO > 2
>>
>>85905104
5 > 4 > 6 > 1 > 3 > 2

Disney Star Wars is not canon.
>>
5 > 3 > 4 > 6 > 2 > 1 >>> RO >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 7
>>
>>85900038
That's bullshit.
I love Star Wars and literally cried when I heard the title music in theaters again but I fucking hated Ep VII even while I wat watching it.
>>
>>85905334
5>1>4>3>6>2>>>>>>>>>>>>>RO>>>>>>>>>7
>>
>>85902070
Umm, sweetie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DOKzTHaPfM
>>
5>3>4>1>R1>2>6>7
>>
>star wars
>>
>>85901271
hey now thats rude. TOR was leagues better than TFA
>>
>>85905104
>>85905217
>>85905334
>>85905455
>>85906676
5>4>6=3>1>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2>7
>>
It was a bad movie.
>>
>tfw people pretend TFA is worse than the prequels just to look cool on /tv/.
>>
i was 11 when i saw the movie. i remember walking out of the theater feeling a natural high. i played hydro thunder in the arcade room pretending i was anakin pod racing. i felt like a million bucks when i won.

years later i realized how bad the movie was, but lucas succeeding in what his goal was: making a movie for young kids and getting them to buy their shitty toys and vidya for years to come
>>
>>85899738
>Babyfigs will never understand the Hype phantom menace had behind it.
In fairness I was nine when TPM came out so I didn't fully understand, but the hype for TFA was insane and I definitely remember that a hell of a lot better. They must have been on the same level, if not more so, because people desperately wanted TFA to redeem Star Wars from the Prequels.
>>
>>85899414
They're in denial because they waited 10 hours to see a turd.
>>
>>85899414
star wars nerds love rogue one too
>>
>>85901763
It couldn't possibly be that people just don't like the prequels. No it has to be some anti-Star Wars conspiracy by Disney. Why? To what end? You honestly think that a giant corporation is jealous of Star Wars?
>>
My father took my brother and I to see it when i was in kindergarten. They both thought it was garbage, but i was enthralled. Turns out I'm a total pleb.
>>
>>85907577
No sense responding anon, this is definitely pasta.
>>
The original set was about Jews (Yehudi, Jedi) fighting Nazis (Darth helmet). The prequels spoofed Jews (that elephant-nosed slavemaster) and the politics critiqued Globalization. Needless to say, the friendly hand of the media was withdrawn. Lemmings followed the Ebert Party line, so as not to be caught out as uncool.
>>
File: gtht.jpg (48KB, 650x415px) Image search: [Google]
gtht.jpg
48KB, 650x415px
>The initial reaction to Phantom Menace was overwhelmingly positive

The original trilogy was one of the most iconic franchises in the history of film. And no one had seen a new SW film in over 15 years. People WANTED the prequels to succeed if for no other reason than they wanted to recapture that magic they felt watching the OT. So there was definitely a lot of self-delusion going on.

Once the hate for TPM was fairly universal, I remember a lot of fans lauding AOTC on the forums and newsgroups when it came out...so desperate where they to believe that the franchise had been rescued from mediocrity. Obviously that stinker has fared no better in the test of time.
>>
Remember, Disney was constantly critically bashed in the 1970s. Rumors that it was antisemitic circulated in the msm. They put in Eisner and Katzenburg and suddenly every Disney project was a work of genius. Even though mostly they remade the Disney product of the 1970s.
>>
File: 267402_1.jpg (55KB, 630x630px) Image search: [Google]
267402_1.jpg
55KB, 630x630px
>>85900321
>>85901271
>>85901208
>>
>>85899414
Same for tfa
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.