[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Star Trek threads so popular when Babylon 5 was a superior

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: fff.png (379KB, 546x479px) Image search: [Google]
fff.png
379KB, 546x479px
Why are Star Trek threads so popular when Babylon 5 was a superior show in every way?
>>
File: Derek_Mobotabwe.jpg (99KB, 978x729px) Image search: [Google]
Derek_Mobotabwe.jpg
99KB, 978x729px
Did the diversity thing better.
>>
One is a cultural icon, the other is niche entertainment for neckbeards.
>>
>>85863078
Let's be honest, no one discusses TOS in Trekthreads. I dare you to start a TOS thread right now, see what happens.
>>
>>85863483
>I dare you to start a TOS thread right now, see what happens.
I'll take you up on that. The results might be good
>>
>>85863483
Well, yes, that's also a factor: there's so much more trek to watch than Babylon 5.

And I always disliked the cold and cynical world they had in Babylon. Star Trek felt a lot more optimistic and lively.
>>
>>85862572
It was on cable, which a lot of people didn't have at the time. So no one watched it, and no one remembers it.
>>
>>85864023
>It was on cable
No it wasn't.
>>
>>85863483
>Let's be honest, no one discusses TOS in Trekthreads.
People do talk about TOS now and then, but what does that have to do with anything? The other series are still trek.
>>
>>85864123
If we're only including cultural icons and excluding niche entertainment for neckbeards, TOS is the only Star Trek we're talking about. And TOS has no purchase on /tv/.

QED:
>>85863536
>>85863576
>>
Because it wasn't.
>>
>>85863566
Thats a comfy pic. McCoy has always been my favorite doctor.
>>
>>85864633
>>85863566
How is that pic even a thing? Wasn't DeForest Kelly dead long before Voyager aired or was even a thought in some writer's head?
>>
>>85862572
>when Babylon 5 was a superior show in every way?
except at acting, direction, sfx, pacing, ....
>>
>>85864739
>...
Finish your list then.
>>
When you read that Michael O Hare aka first Captain went mad in real life
>>
File: Star Trek doctor_s1b.jpg (150KB, 512x720px) Image search: [Google]
Star Trek doctor_s1b.jpg
150KB, 512x720px
>>85864660
Kelley died in 1999, and Voyager aired between 1995-2001. But I guess it's also possible that they met in other circumstances too. Voyager wasn't Picardo's first TV gig or anything.
>>
>>85864794
Yeah but he got it together enough to come back in the third season.
>>
>>85864787
It's easier to just list where its superior:
- its story arcs
that's it
>>
>>85864859
Bruce Boxleitner by himself outacts everyone from the TOStrek.
>>
Babylon 5 is superior to Trek on the subject of telling a more involved, complicated story. That's about it. It's worse on pretty much every other level.
>>
>>85864859
No. No, my friend, FINISH YOUR LIST. I have a point-by-point rebuttal waiting and I'm not going to go to the trouble of assembling a comparative image in Photoshop just to have you flippantly add more items of criticism after the fact.

You started the list. You added an ellipsis. Finish it.

>It's easier
Winning arguments isn't easy, as you're learning right now. Let's see your full list.
>>
>>85864115
In my neck of the woods, only cable stations carried it during the first run. After the show ended the local NBC station ran the last couple seasons after midnight. Too edgy for the local market, I guess.
>>
>>85864936
can you just give us a preview on your rebuttal for effects?
>>
>>85865111
stories, arcs, ...
>>
>>85862572
Babylon 5 had lesbian telepaths. It triggered the small-minded American audience.
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 528x544px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 528x544px
"Commander, tell me about your sexual organs."
>>
File: morella.jpg (19KB, 232x280px) Image search: [Google]
morella.jpg
19KB, 232x280px
This is Lady Morella. Say something nice about her.
>>
>>85865575
She's got huge tracts of land.
>>
>>85862572
This show's cast is fucking cursed!
More regulars have died than the original Star Trek and that show is damn near 30 years older!
>>
>>85863576
>>85863576
>>85863576
>>
>>85865318
>Babylon 5 had lesbian telepaths. It triggered the small-minded American audience.

thank goodness DS9 had no lesbians at all

except for Trill

and most women in the mirror universe
>>
I'm watching B5 fir the first time because I ran out of Star Trek, and I like it, but I just feel like DS9 more or less did the same thing with very similar characters better (not accusing either of being a rip-off of the other though)

Sheredin > Sisko (they're actually not all that similar as characters though aside from being captains of a space mall and MUH DEAD GAY WIFE)
Kira >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ivonova
Garak > G'Kar
Dukat > Londo
Odo/O'Brien > Garibaldi (Garibaldi is kinda like both characters mashed together)
Dominion > AN ANCIENT EVIL AWAKENS
Psi Corps > Section 31
Bashir > Franklin
>>
>>85866306

yea the entire run of ds9 is bonkers compared to the first three episodes of b5

its not even a contest
>>
File: gowron KAK.png (228KB, 508x596px) Image search: [Google]
gowron KAK.png
228KB, 508x596px
>>85865678
>>
>>85866364
>Sheridan
>first 3 episodes
Calm down a little.
>>
A lot of poor and corny acting, far more than Trek
Garbage special effects and cheap looking sets
Long burn in until the show gets interesting and not based around the story of the week. This type of show could work today with streaming or with DVRs, but back in the 90s this type of structure did not work well with broadcast TV
>>
>>85864516
>If we're only including cultural icons
Next Gen was pretty big. Not as fuck huge as the original, but then again, Babylon 5 is no where near that in the first place. All the future series being a continuation of trek still makes them relevant. Quit being autistic and trying to move the goal posts Babbylon 5 faggot.
>>
>>85866633
Someone asked about Earl Grey tea at the gym and I made a quip about Captain Picard and everyone thought I had made an historical reference.
>>
>>85866668
>Quit being autistic and trying to move the goal posts Babbylon 5 faggot.
Since you seemed to have missed it the first time.
>>
>>85866528
>back in the 90s this type of structure did not work well
5 seasons and a bunch of shitty movies is pretty good
>>
>>85866727
>shitty movies
"SARAH, CLEAR THE ROAD!"
"I'm on it!"

Should I post it?
>>
>>85866701
Spoonfeeding, Star Trek: The Next Generation did well in its time, as did Babylon 5, but in 2017 is not a cultural icon and is in fact niche entertainment for neckbeards.
>>
>>85866727
I meant as an explanation as why it did not beat Trek in ratings/popularity
>>
>>85866779
And as it's been said before, that is a completely arbitrary designation. Quit moving the goalposts.
>>
>>85866902
Someone actually asked me about Earl Grey tea at the gym and I made a quip about Captain Picard and everyone thought I had made an historical reference.

This happened to me.
>>
>>85866991
What happened when you got to the showers anon? Tell me.
>>
>>85865918
>he keeps linking his thread no one cares about

Sad!
>>
>>85867029
>implying I shower at the gym where old Asian men blow snot rockets into the same sinks where people shave and brush their teeth, dry their balls and assholes with hair dryers and sit naked on changing benches with no towel down
I'll shower in the comfort of my own home, thank you. I can shampoo my Corolla's interior at the self-serve car wash.
>>
>>85862603
>Derek Mobotabwe
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.