[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

In almost every way but name this was the "back-to-basics"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 5

In almost every way but name this was the "back-to-basics" Alien movie that everyone wanted out of Covenant. I guess the fact that everyone slept on it proves audiences really don't know what they want.
>>
>>85842994
Audiences want capeshit and pixar
>>
>>85843057

True. I feel like good sci-fi is so scarce these days. Life wasn't like one of the GREATS but it was really enjoyable and it had some creative twists on the trapped in space genre that kept things interesting. Calvin made for a different kind of alien than what we usually see. That more adaptive survival kind of action rather than stalking its prey like a lot of other alien movies before it.
>>
This flick has nothing to do with the original Alien movies and it was shit.
>>
File: 1500753990977.png (126KB, 402x398px) Image search: [Google]
1500753990977.png
126KB, 402x398px
>>85842994
this was pure dogshit full of plotholes nobody asked for

>dude the ISS only has one radio and the alium drank all the coolant
>>
>>85843341
>ISS only has one radio

Even if that were true, which they never stated, they DID state that Calvin fucked the comms.

>Alien drank all the coolant

What's wrong with that? It sucked up oxygen candles in seconds flat and was shown to be hyperintelligent.

You need to stop equating plotholes with (in your opinion) implausibilities.
>>
The hand breaking scene and Ryan Reynolds death actually made me feel uneasy
>>
File: 1498611523056.jpg (165KB, 1920x1847px) Image search: [Google]
1498611523056.jpg
165KB, 1920x1847px
>>85843426
>they DID state that Calvin fucked the comms.
>implying not every system on the ISS has tripple redunancy
>implying the alium is smart enough to know what systems support the comms
>at the same time alien is too stupid to open a door lol
also flamethrowers on board of the ISS, what retard wrote this?

>What's wrong with that?
communication system shit doesn't need coolant and even if it was like that, how did the alium go from a fire distinguisher closed circuit that is under several hundred PSI to the "coolant" of the comms?
these systems have nothing to do with each other you retarded mong and it was just lazy and shitty writing.
the movie is legit TURD.
0/10 wouldn't pirate again to rewatch.
>>
>>85842994
It's not the alien movie people wanted, it's the basic-bitch trapped-in-a-space-station / oil-platform / arctic-base with-a-thing-and-some-people-that-ignore-quarantine-protocols movie that we get sex of every fuking year.
>>
>>85843740
*six
>>
>>85842994
>gyllenhaals character = worst most lame/boring character
>ends up being the one who survives til the end
>shit edgy ending
yeah this movie was shit
>>
>>85843740

name two more we got this year that weren't Life

It's a genre. Nobody gets upset when James Wan puts out another shitty paranormal haunting movie.
>>
>>85843426
>quarantine lab has multiple air holes that can only be closed ONE AT A TIME, slowly.
>ISS has holes on the outside and the alien can go in whenever it wants
>>
>>85844856

How is that a plothole?
>>
File: 1423172177746.png (401KB, 684x626px) Image search: [Google]
1423172177746.png
401KB, 684x626px
>>85843871
>shit edgy ending
it is only there to make it a monster movie on earth, you really are slow
>>
>>85845489
The setting doesn't match the story.
>>
>>85845980

Which part exactly? The holes didn't lead directly to space, you understand that right?
>>
>>85846194
I didn't watch the movie. But his complaint is that the movie is pretty specifically about astronauts on the ISS encountering a hostile alien, but then the characters don't act like astronauts and the ISS setting becomes ignored.

I didn't watch the movie because I just wanted a movie about discovering life from space.
>>
>>85842994
It's not that, just the people who would have liked it didn't see it, because the alien franchise already burned up all the goodwill it had in the bank.
>>
>>85846283

They do act like the scientists they are though. The biologist is caught up in this new life form to a fault. The captain sacrifices herself for the good of her crew. The second engineer sacrifices himself for the biologist because his knowledge will be more valuable and he's also the one they sound out for space walk repairs. The doctor cares more about human life than safety protocol. The quarantine officer is the opposite, willing to let them die to keep the alien from reaching Earth. The pilot attempts to use his knowledge of the ship's systems to seal, burn and vent the alien. There's at least one point in the movie for each character where their expertise in their field comes into play. And multiple points where they're specifically using their knowledge to (try to) outsmart the alien. If anything that was one of the movie's strengths. The characters felt like real astronauts/scientists who, rather than panicking and acting stupid, were using their knowledge to survive and/or save the Earth from alien contact.

His complaint had something to do with him confusing the thrusters with fire control vents. Who knows how.
>>
I thought covenant was alright. Literally the only bad thing about it is the retarded religious undertones and the retarded boss fight at the end.
>>
>>85846791

The entire movie is bad because it attempts to retread Alien gimmicks with a modern ADD riddled horror audience. It has none of the calm pacing and build up of the original but still tries to use those same exact scenes like the burster, facehugger and medlab without understanding anything about what made them work in the original.

Basically, Ridley is a hack.
>>
>>85842994
So like, there's a little hope at the end right? Because Calvin needs time to take in the new climate.
>>
>>85842994
>"back-to-basics" Alien movie
I don't want that though, fuck remaking Alien over and over again.
>>
>>85842994
>I guess the fact that everyone slept on it proves audiences really don't know what they want.
Or maybe nobody went to see it because it didn't have "Alien" in the title?
>>
>>85847107

I was pondering over whether it would be worse if this was Calvin's final stage of growth or if he continues to get bigger. A perfect organism at that size is basically unstoppable but can be contained if you get lucky. If it can grow to kaiju size it'll be city destroying levels but also big enough to keep track of and maybe destroy.

Either way I don't think there's much hope. Especially considering it landed in Vietnam. By the time anyone figures anything out there Calvin will have taken in so much nutrients and adapted entirely. It's the size of your palm right now in the middle of the ocean. We're fucked.
>>
>>85847107

Interpret this however you want but the director said this in an interview

>Jake's character is the only one that never has a violent reaction against Calvin. And it takes quite a long time before he lands. And he is still alive. Something has happened in that pod. Calvin is just looking for communication
>>
Watched it today.loved the ending.only flaw: tentacles...again?
Best thing about it: calvin used the memory of the persons he obtained for its survival. Like a real virus. Cant live on your own? You a host. Parasite from space niggas. He should have crashed on the moon,because we are full.
>>
>>85847361
Get you a host. Freaking typo. Every cell is a brain,every cell is a muscle. When he absorbs to grow, it uses everything like dna,rna, usefull resourses like proteinmatter. Expotential growing. Shits overpowerd.
>>
>>85843173
I understand why would you call it sci-fi, but really, it isn't.
>>
>>85847324
Oh, so Earth is fucked.
>>
>survives indefinitely in a vacuum
>incinerators don't even touch it
>drinks coolant like cola
>gets bigger, smarter and stronger
We need more op aliens in movies
>>
>>85847715
Second.
>>
>>85847361
>Best thing about it: calvin used the memory of the persons he obtained for its survival.

Definitely agree. I saw a lot of complaints (even ITT) about how it's just another "trapped in space" alien movie that didn't do anything new. But I felt that the monster in this was wildly more creative than anything we've seen in a long time. Even Covenant was just ultimate predator picking everyone off shit again. The director talked in interviews about how Calvin wasn't a hostile being it was just looking to communicate and so the Earth isn't necessarily doomed now. It just had to learn and adapt because everyone but David was hostile towards it. So every "kill" was unique and interesting because it was more "This thing wants to hurt me, what's the most efficient way to stop it and allow for my survival?" Notice it doesn't initially try to devour the rat until the rat bites it. It tried to communicate and understand. Same thing with Ryan Reynolds. It doesn't initially attack him until RR tries to kill it. And with the captain it doesn't straight up kill her it fucks with her coolant so that she has to go back inside (and take Calvin with her).

>>85847711

Not according to the director but he seems to want to leave it up for us to interpret.
>So Calvin has evolved more in this pod, and the take-away is Earth is not automatically doomed?
>Yes, yes, yes. That's why I don't see this as a set-up to a sequel. I see this as its own ending. The tragedy with sequels that come out are not the sequels themselves – there are many great sequels in cinema history – but that the audience has stopped contemplating about endings that are not complete and final. If you had an ending like this 30 years ago, people would contemplate about the ending, and what it meant. Now people want a resolution, and think of course it is an ending that leads to a sequel where Calvin attacks the rest of humanity. They're wrong.
>>
>>85842994
No, it proves that movies need promotion and a small movie will find it hard to compete with the big productions that devote a large percentage of their budget to full spectrum media dominance.
>>
>>85847799
Nice.just like the scene with the japanese getting in his sleepingpod.calvin could have opened it.tried and then left it alone because the person tried to be left alone.
>>
>>85847799
Wow. Thanks for that input. When I finished this movie I was really jonesing for a sequel, honestly. I thought Calvin was chilling given that I had been doing a lot of work exterminating infestation and doing lawn care the day I watched it, it was the perfect storm. Completely fucked with my head. But that insight into Calvin is cool as shit.
>>
>>85848038

Same here. It makes for a really interesting interpretation. I was talking with my friend about it after initially seeing it and she had asked what I thought about the ending and I said I figured Calvin kept him alive to feed on the way down to Earth or as bait for whoever opens it. Never even initially occurred to me that Calvin didn't want to harm him. But the more I thought about it the more it made sense too. If you recall back to the beginning Calvin breaks all of the biologists fingers and mangles his hand because he kept electrocuting Calvin and then tried to distract it with the same hostile tool. But at the end Calvin is wrapped around David's hand and starts to pull back and I fully expected him to bend his fingers back and mangle him as well but he just pins the hand to the wall.
>>
>>85843341
>Radios using coolant
I'm not a radio engineer or anything, but do radios actually use coolant? I'm fairly certain they don't.
>>
>>85847009
The entire movie is an examination of a homicidal robot with daddy issues. It does this very well. You don't understand what makes Covenant great.
>>
>>85850391

No that was Prometheus.

Covenant is a shitty attempt at continuing Prometheus but Ridley being too much of a pussy to ignore the fans so he half assed both the traditional Alien aspects and the Prometheus aspects leading to a shitty unfinished unfocused product.
>>
>>85850541
Watch it again faggot. It expands on Prometheus in between the shitty aliens.
>>
Everyone slept on it because it was painfully generic, derivative garbage. Alien Covenant was 100x better, and it wasn't even that good.
>>
>>85847009
lol I think the guy who directed Alien understands what made those scenes work in Alien better than some retarded anon who didn't understand what he was going for in Covenant at all but okay
>>
Why did Miranda's navigation fail?
>>
File: 1465877419967.jpg (60KB, 321x322px) Image search: [Google]
1465877419967.jpg
60KB, 321x322px
>>85850822
Because she hit some debris or something
>implying you didn't jack off to her screaming
>>
>>85848019
Underrated post
>>
>>85850805

Lol pretty sure the prequels are great movies George Lucas understands Star Wars better than some fuckin internet dweebs
>>
>>85851133
You're memeing, but you're right, he does.
>>
I remember the trailers made Gyllenhaal seem really sinister like he'd be helping the alien out of curiosity or something
>>
>>85850656

It tries to and does so poorly because it tried and failed to do two things at once. Gotta love /tv/ contrarianidk. Covenant was shit and everyone knew it immediately but now the YOU DIDN'T UNNERSTAN brigade comes out of hiding. The movie has godawful pacing, non-existent idiotic characters, retreads tons of old tropes poorly and is basically carried by Fassbender's performance. Someone ITT mentioned the characters in Life not acting like astronauts. Christ then what do you call the characters in Covenant. They ran around like chickens with their heads cut off making the absolute worst possible decision at every turn almost deliberately.

>David has been leading your people to slaughter and you've caught him lying and being deceptive not to mention the aliens you've seen incubating in your other crewmembers
>David: come look at this egg, go on get closer
>Retard: ok
>>
>>85851329
>characters made stupid decisions so it was a bad movie
okay
>>
>>85851389
>list multiple complaints
>isolate one and pretend it was the only criticism

Fuck off Ridley you don't know how to make good movies anymore. Thank god they gave Blade Runner to Villenueve.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.