[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have a thread for this? Angel's Egg 1985. I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Cover.jpg (157KB, 519x600px) Image search: [Google]
Cover.jpg
157KB, 519x600px
Can we have a thread for this? Angel's Egg 1985.
I really liked it.
>>
File: Red Backdrop.webm (2MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
Red Backdrop.webm
2MB, 1080x608px
Watched it over the weekend and I'm not sure what I make of it. So was the land mass Noah's ark?
>>
File: Fish Pass the Tainted Window.webm (3MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
Fish Pass the Tainted Window.webm
3MB, 1080x608px
I also made a handful of webms for it because I really like the art/aesthetic. The fishermen chasing the shadow whales was my favorite part.
>>
I don't get it
>>
I didn't like it as much as I thought I would from reading about it
I love abstracted ambiguous storytelling
I love gothic visuals
I love inexplicable imagery
I love themes
I (tastefully, in a non-sexual way) love small anime girls

But I don't love Angel's Egg

It's depressing, desu
>>
>>85801179
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-9VeKb63Y0
I'd say 9/10 senpai
>>
File: The Tanks.webm (3MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
The Tanks.webm
3MB, 1080x608px
I got more webms.
>>85802756
>I love abstracted ambiguous storytelling
>I love gothic visuals
>I love inexplicable imagery
>I love themes
This is why I liked it. I don't quite get the story beyond Noah's ark flipped over and his birds never made it back to him etc etc, but I liked watching the movie.
>>
File: Stone Bone Horse.webm (2MB, 1080x608px) Image search: [Google]
Stone Bone Horse.webm
2MB, 1080x608px
>>
>>85805073

Erggghh, essentially the story such as it is is set in a world in which the Flood took place, but Land was never found / there was no salvation, just endless floating and dwindling until only the girl and the man were left. "Flood" and "Land" are metaphorical terms, not literal terms, it could've been any sort of apocalypse, the "birds" sent out to look for land could've been genetically engineered to search for habitable planets... You can invent any explanation for what's happening that you like, really. The point is, the girl still has this egg / faith, the man is disillusioned and shatters her egg / faith, she sudokus, but becomes a woman / adult at the same time. The eggs that float up to the water's surface could be a metaphor for the renewed faith that death / martyrdom inspires; maybe even the life cycle of these beings is that they die & then release the eggs that might become angels, but that's just speculation.

The giant globe that descends and disappears at the end, with a statue of the girl on it, is pretty obviously collecting the final souls of the almost extinct people. Again, that's a metaphor, but essentially, God is cleaning up the dead world left behind after the flood.

For some insight into the story I actually suggest that you read some literary analysis of Gene Wolfe's "Shadow of the Torturer" series. There are very strong parallels between the stories, and they share very similar, deep Christian lore themes.
>>
>>85805073
>I don't quite get the story beyond Noah's ark flipped over and his birds never made it back to him
japs find christianity interesting so they usually use it just for cool factor, more than likely there's nothing else to get here. evangelion did the same, the authors basically said that the christian themes were there just because they thought it was cool.
>>
>>85806412
oshii was christian, he was even considering studying at a seminary in his youth. angel's egg is heavily influenced by his own crisis of faith, the theological aspect goes much deeper than anno using a gnostic framework to tell a personal story
>>
should I watch this movie. I see it mentioned from time to time but I've never seen it.
>>
File: jodie foster.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jodie foster.gif
2MB, 320x240px
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.