[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>While Star Wars: The Force Awakens ruled the domestic box

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: TheForceAwakens_China.jpg (137KB, 780x438px) Image search: [Google]
TheForceAwakens_China.jpg
137KB, 780x438px
>While Star Wars: The Force Awakens ruled the domestic box office for a month, and then had a strong showing in most other countries over the same period, it looks like the honeymoon may already be over in China. This is a big loss, as China is the world’s second-largest movie market. While the film had a strong showing on its initial release, bringing in more than $50 million, the second weekend was not nearly as exciting, resulting in a drop of 72%.

>Box office estimates for The Force Awakens now have the movie finishing its Chinese run with no more than $125 million. This would put the movie ahead of Terminator: Genisys but behind Mission: Impossible - Rogue Nation. While a total over $100 million would be generally viewed as a success for any western movie, the other movies are not Star Wars. While the The Force Awakens was not necessarily expecting to have the earth shattering effect that it’s had in the rest of the western world, it was certainly expected to do better than this. Star Wars: The Force Awakens finished second in China to a local animated feature called Boonie Bears 3 that’s based on a CCTV cartoon series. That was not planned for. The reason for the serious drop is not entirely clear; according to The Hollywood Reporter, the movie’s word of mouth in China isn’t great, though exactly what it is they don’t like is not clear.

>though exactly what it is they don’t like is not clear

What did China mean by this?
>>
>>85720804
>poster
When you value social justice for all but not enough to sacrifice profit
>>
>>85720804
It never had a honeymoon in China to begin with. Disney re-released all 6 SW films in China over the course of a few months to try and create hype for the 7th but it backfired.
>>
>>85720804
>feminism
>niggers
These things aren't popular in China.
>>
>>85721615
I wonder how dinsey will do gays since its out right banned in china now
>>
File: Finn-Original-Concept-Art.jpg (55KB, 564x814px) Image search: [Google]
Finn-Original-Concept-Art.jpg
55KB, 564x814px
>>85721474

They did sacrifice profit by casting Boyega as Finn (who was originally a white han solo type rogue character, pic related). Stuff like the poster was just work to minimize it. The only question is how much did they leave on the table.

They had originally hoped to pass Avatar and become highest grossing all time, but the brutal China drop-off blew that out of the water. They even pushed all the previous films there to try and get people warmed up for it. From the article;

>While it’s true that China does not have the relationship with Star Wars that the rest of the world has, Disney spent a lot of money over the last several months to make the nation familiar with the property. The previous films were finally released on local On Demand services several months ago, and the last trailer for the film saw its Chinese premier on the side of The Great Wall of China. Apparently that was not enough.

>This poorer than expected showing in China will put a serious hitch in any expectations for Star Wars: The Force Awakens to become the highest grossing movie of all time. It currently sits about $900 million short of Avatar, which currently holds that crown. China was the last market to see The Force Awakens premiere, so that $50 million was the last big opening weekend the film will see anywhere. Not that the movie has already lost the steam it had built up, but overtaking Avatar is just short of impossible.
>>
>>85721692

I think that ban pertains only to TV.
>>
>>85721597
By the time the seventh one came out, people were just tired of it. Too much too soon, that's why the opening weekend was relatively weak. And once word spread that it's just a repeat of the fourth one, and had two very ugly leads, all interest died out hence the second week drop off.

Supposedly, the next one has an asian woman, and people were assuming it was going to be a kpop tier actress, but once the pictures of that thing was released, people all over Asia were offended. Some even say that Disney is insulting Asians by casting someone so ugly.

China in particular. They will tolerate dark skins, like in the Fast and Furious franchise, and Jackie Chan's black boy. But SJW shit, especially gay shit, is banned. It amazes me that Sony even thought that they would get approved to show in China, shows how retarded they are.

/tv/ could run a studio better than Sony.
>>
>>85721788
I see where you're coming from, but the fact that they cast a nog in the first place doesn't cancel it out. At that point in time, marketing were faced with an ethical decision about whether or not to shrink the guy down on the poster, and they chose to go ahead and do it, because they thought it would get them more money, and they cared about that more than being moralfags. The best defense you can give is that they're inconsistent about the implementation of their principles, which isn't really much of a defense when you consider that they expect us to wholeheartedly absorb a message they only partially accept themselves.
>>
>>85722510

I guess they thought erasing him from the poster would be enough damage control, but it didn't work.

If they rumors are true and the new asian character in the next one gets blacked it would pretty much be suicide, thats why I don't believe it.
>>
>>85721788
>>85722510
I'm almost glad the cast someone else as Finn, a Han Solo clone would have made the movie even more of a rip off than it was of 4.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.