[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck does this piece of shit have such a high score on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 90
Thread images: 10

File: rogue-one-character-line-up.jpg (419KB, 1500x1063px) Image search: [Google]
rogue-one-character-line-up.jpg
419KB, 1500x1063px
How the fuck does this piece of shit have such a high score on IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes??

It's like a generic military movie, with a vietnam last segment, but with Star Wars costumes.

>Space ships that never existed before now do
>Storm Trooper armor that never existed before now does
>James Earl Jones doesn't even sound proper
>Kyle Katarn's "Steal the plans to the death star" story replaced by these literal-who Minority Super Team

I understand Disney is garbage.
I understand Force Awakens was also mediocre.
But I can't understand how the first full feature spin off could set the bar so low. I have zero hope for the Han Solo spin off.
>>
At last some truth about that piece of shitsney. Reminder that this board praised that shit just because it was slightly less shitty than TFA just because of muh one minute vader killing people...
>>
but it's so gritty, and I can finally take star wars seriously
>>
>>85688940
>blaster machine guns exist
>never used again by either side even though they're portable and can mow down a platoon in seconds
Why didn't they give one of these to Ki Adi Mundi since he jobbed to a fucking ledge and didn't even use his lightsaber?
>>
Read the New York Times review. Disney more or less threatened critics to give it a high score. Not joking.
>>
>>85689443
OP here. It just isnt. It's so safe and weak. Just because there are a bunch of Storm Troopers dying like a cheap Brosnan James Bond doesn't mean it has real grit.

>>85692059
I gotta read this.

>>85690796
That now reminds me of those useless tanks that didn't even exist before.
>>
>>85688940
It's kino
>>
IT BROKE NEW GROUND
>>
>>85688940
the best part is that all of those characters are dead
>>
This is what really makes me mad about this site.

I took my kids to see it and they love it, along with The Force Awakens. I tried to hold back tears sitting there in a theater with my kids watching Star Wars. They even got to see Darth Vader on screen, like I did when I was a kid.

The Force Awakens and Rogue One had everything us fans have ever wanted. X-Wing and TIE Fighter battles, Han Solo, Darth Vader, cameos we can recognize.

Get your head out of your butts.
>>
>>85692952
We don't care about your kids.

And your kids loving it is not an argument. You put almost everything with space ships, lasers and kids would love it. Not an argument sir.
>>
>>85692952
Bad copy pasta from reddit.

I just read the NYT review. How can Disney even redeem themselves?
They can't make Star Wars.
They can't make super hero movies.
They are focusing on remaking their classic animated films into live action.
>>
>>85692952

My kids liked TFA but were bored as fuck by this one, my 7 year old daughter asking "why'd they bring that guy?" for every character other than the assassin and his robot and I had no answer since she's right and they're all pointless to the story and die anyway and no one cares.
>>
>>85692952
>had everything us fans have ever wanted.
Yes I definitely got what I wanted with a literal Mary Sue character and the brushing off of a death of one of the most important characters. But oh boy, spaceships!!!!!
>>
File: 1455566706598a.jpg (134KB, 474x503px) Image search: [Google]
1455566706598a.jpg
134KB, 474x503px
>>85692721

This.

Gen Xers finally got the prequel they deserved, while all the MUH LUCAS millennials are trying to defend his mess.
>>
>>85693614

RotS was way better.
>>
>>85688940
I APPLAUDED IT FOR BEING DIFFERENT

X WINGS AS WELL AS TIE FIGHTERS
>>
>>85693614
>>85692721
You guys don't even watch kino.
>>
>>85693614
Gen Xers ruined Star Wars.

>Muh X-Wings and Tie Fighters
>Muh Han Solo
>Muh Cantina bar aliens
>Muh Vader
>Muh childhood
>>
It had cool battles and way less forced cameos and plot recycling than TFA.
It was a nice filkm and way better than what I expected it to be.
>>
GRAND MOFF TARKIN
>>
>>85694553
It follows nearly the same plot of a new hope just like TFA
>>
>They fucking retconned Dark Forces for THIS?

This is what I was thinking the entire time I was watching this shit movie in the theater.
>>
Because everyone fapped to her that's why
>>
Was three times better than TFA to be honest. Though I'm too young to be a nostalgiafag so maybe my opinion is irrelevant who knows
>>
File: 1483381316749.jpg (8KB, 244x248px) Image search: [Google]
1483381316749.jpg
8KB, 244x248px
>>85692952
>The Force Awakens and Rogue One had everything us fans have ever wanted.
>The Force Awakens
Yeah, we wanted a rehashed story, flat characters, bad CGI, bad practical effects, bad cinematography, forced references, and a bad soundtrack.
>>
>>85693201
Your 7 yr old daughter is a pleb and should khs
>>
>>85695645
she probably doesn't even lift
>>
File: tumblr_ohdug7xzll1vjpohao3_250.gif (760KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ohdug7xzll1vjpohao3_250.gif
760KB, 250x250px
>What's your call sign, pilot?!
>It's uh..uhm..rogue..
>Rogue One: A Star Wars Story!

Seriously?
>>
>>85692952
Rogue One isn't appropriate for kids.
>>
>>85692952

Fuck off I watched this with my 60 year old parents who saw the original movie as young adults and we all thought it was aweful. There was no tension or purpous to the action all the characters were unnecessary. The only redeaming part was the space battle at the end. Even Darth vader wrecking shit felt like holow fan service.
>>
>>85688940
>"Space ships and stormtrooper armour that didn't exist before now does"
>implying that just because we didn't see it in the original trilogy it couldn't have existed
>"Kyle Katarns story replaced"
>implying anybody knows or gives a fuck about some dumb video game charachter
I don't like Disney either but the reasons you gave for hating this movie were just stupid. It wasn't perfect by any means but it was still an enjoyable, solid film.
>>
>>85695917
>when you misspell awful and make it sound good
>>
>>85688940

Because SW fans were begging for a movie like this for decades.
>>
>>85689443

Fuck off RLM. This was the most retarded comment they had on this. People are taking SW seriously for half a century. You really think those 40+ dudes building 1:1 X-wings in their garage care if mainstream takes them seriously?
>>
>>85693939

It was garbage except for maybe 20 minutes.
>>
>>85694408
>Muh X-Wings and Tie Fighters

I don't get this complaint. Those are machines both sides used in that period. This is SW lore since 70's. Are they supposed to suddenly start using different shit because RLM told you so?
>>
((()))
>>
>>85688940
>but with Star Wars costumes
that's your answer
>>
>>85692713
What are you talking about?
Literally every good guy in the movie dies
And 15 minutes in one of the supposed good guys kills an innocent person so he can escape
OP is a faggot as usual
>>
>>85688940
I like how you mention all those things, but not the bizarre decision to keep Peter Cushing's character in the movie, by making a terrifying uncanny-valley marionette of the dead actor. Every scene that thing is in, you're just sitting there like, "why are people talking to that videogame character like it's a person?"

They probably spent some ungodly amount of money getting him in there, even though he's in no way essential to the plot, and he's one of those characters nobody remembers from A New Hope anyway. It's at the level of a trivia thing - you go back and rewatch it and you're like "hey, that's Peter Cushing! weird." But nobody would miss him. The only people who even know what the character's name is are some fringe Extended Universe Nerds. Why even keep him in? Or just recast him, if it's such a problem.
>>
>>85689131

hard to deny the Vader scene desu. It was pretty legit.
>>
>>85692059
that would make sense

in Australia we had a lot of newspapers say it wasn't that great and have legitimate criticisms of it, so the positive American reaction was a surprise to me
>>
>>85688940
Agenda.
>>
>>85696836
>SW lore
>>
>>85688940
I'd watch R 1 on repeat for a week before I'd watch TFA ever again
>>
>>85688940

>It's another EU fag threatened by women and minorities thread
>>
>>85692713
>"It's so safe and weak"
>every main character dies
Sure thing, buddy.
Pretty sure you're confusing it with The Force Awakens.
>>
>>85697222
it had no main characters though, like hor rrmartinrr puts a name on soldier#4234 just to have him killed
vader could have had the plans too
>a fucking death star

I'm baffled this shit flied in the last millennia, but it is current year ffs
>>
>>85697331
Sorry you're too deaf and blind to notice Jyn, Cassian, K2SO, Chirrut, Baze, and Bodhi.
>>
>>85688940
Also jan ors>jyn erso
>>
>>85697378
A bunch of literal whos, case in point
>>
File: U2KL2Wf.jpg (556KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
U2KL2Wf.jpg
556KB, 1280x1920px
>>85697572
Wrong.
>>
Easily one of the lamest movies i have ever seen. every single fucking piece of this movie from the dialogue, to the music, to entire fight scenes was crafted ONLY so retarded morons in cinemas would clap when they saw something they recognised. if you believe this movie is anything other than a brainless cashgrab from idiotic star wars fans, you must have a degenerative brain disorder
>>
To be fair it's not particularly worse than the average Disney capeshit flick.
>>
>>85698043
I've never had the force awakens described so perfectly
>>
>>85697019
Because Peter Cushing's character was in charge of the Death Star and with the short timeframe between R1 and ANH it'd be weird if he wasn't around in some capacity.

Also Lucasfilm has been pushing Grand Moff Tarkin across all fronts for the last six years and throwing him into all the cartoons and books to make up for how the EU barely used him.
>>
>>85697100
TFA: 6.1/10
R1: 6.3/10

Both are hella mediocre
>>
>>85697021
No it wasn't. It made no sense and no, the "rule of cool" doesn't apply.
>>
>>85698211
I don't know, I've enjoyed some of the MCU stuff. They're not good movies, but a few of them are fun, and that's really all I expect of them. Both the new Star Wars films are awful though, for all the reasons mentioned in this thread and more.
>>
>>85692952
I hate you.
>>
>>85698650
> to make up for how the EU barely used him.

Didn't he have an affair with a dominatrix imperial officer slut?
>>
>no back story for any of the characters
>even the lead of the movie has no real background
>never get to see what happens with jyn between the time she left with forrest whitaker to the time shes 25
>side characters are literally whos
>no commitment or emotional attachment to anyone
>near impossible to care about what happens to anyone
>just boring unemotional slog from beginning to end

You know, i wouldnt mind the PC culture bullshit attached to these movies if they had some real characters. These female leads have zero personality and charisma.
>>
>>85701253
Jyn's past after Saw saves her as a girl in the beginning is in the novel.
It goes into Saw raising Jyn and what was happening when he abandoned her which is mentioned during the movie.
I've read it personally and enjoyed but it's because I did want to know Jyn's backstory.
>>
>>85688940
Its because everyone was brain washed into hating the prequels so much that they believed anything not prequels is some master piece bullshit when the prequels were actually good.
>>
>>85692952
0/10 bait
>>
>>85703146
But I like both the prequels and Rogue One.
It's The Force Awakens I think is trash.
>>
>>85703396
Best and only acceptable opinion here.
>>
>>85688940
>It's like a generic military movie, with a vietnam last segment, but with Star Wars costumes.
It's decently directed and executed. What's the problem?

>Space ships that never existed before now do
>Storm Trooper armor that never existed before now does
This isn't valid criticism. Especially considering that Rogue One takes place at the very least 20 years after Revenge of the Sith (based off Anakin's and Luke's age).

>Kyle Katarn's "Steal the plans to the death star" story replaced by these literal-who Minority Super Team
>literal who is replaced by literal-whos
Nice argument!

What you're really complaining about (or why you really think this movie is shit) is the female protagonist and the other non-white characters. You think Rogue One and The Force Awakens are shit only because their casts aren't exclusively made up of white male characters. This isn't film criticism. It's just asinine.
>>
Did any of you guys watch Rogue One more than once? It's weird. I've seen all the movies from the OT and PT many times. Now I really hated both TFA and Rogue One. Rogue One seemed a tiny bit better. But I would still rather watch TFA again than Rogue One. Maybe it's just an age thing, and I wouldn't rewatch Star Wars as an adult.
>>
>>85705434
I've saw Rogue One about three times.
Liked it more the last time after I read the Catalyst and Rebel Rising novels.
>>
>>85688940
Diversity, you bigot.
>>
File: CVV5jFtU8AAQ2Us.jpg (54KB, 599x408px) Image search: [Google]
CVV5jFtU8AAQ2Us.jpg
54KB, 599x408px
>>85705332
they choosed the minorities only for the sake they were minorities not because of skills
>>
>>85688940
Well RT has no standards any more. High profile films either always have +90% or awful scores. As for IMDB, that's easy. Star Wars fans being Star Wars fans.
>>
I thought it was pretty good. K2-S0 was a OTT and irritating though.

>that last vader scene doe senpai
>>
>>85694408
>Gen Xers ruined Star Wars.
No, money-grubbing corporate drones killed Star Wars. They are totally incompetent to know what made the original movies so popular and so they create mimeographs of the original films to pass off as new material.

I don't think you'll see many Gen-Xers in the audiences of the new Star Wars films. From most of the footages of theaters I've seen, the audience is largely comprised of millennials and younger.

The only blame the Gen-Xers have is being pandered to by studio executives, who themselves may or may not be Gen-Xers.

However, idiocy among soulless, money-grubbing executives transcends generations although admittedly the Baby Boomers took it to a new level.
>>
>>85697021
It was shit. Vader should not have been doing the dirty work of killing a bunch of rebel cannon fodder. That's what the stormtroopers are for. Vader is only there to interrogate the captives.
>>
>>85705434

Rogue one was a smidge better cause it had better action and one compelling character in the blind warrior monk.

Where as TFA had no good action and their most compelling characyer was Traitor Trooper
>>
>>85688940
>robot
>asian
>jew
>arab
>asian
>arab
where are all the white people
>>
>>85708601
>where are all the white people
They got their revenge between Rogue: One and A New Hope. After getting the plans for the Death Star stolen at the end of Rogue: One, the empire killed almost every colored person in the galaxy. That's why you see practically no colored people in a New Hope.
>>
>>85708776
I see, so I'm supposed to cheer for the bad guys
very clever storytelling disney
>>
>>85705332
Nice delusions
>>
File: 1589540.jpg (23KB, 689x388px) Image search: [Google]
1589540.jpg
23KB, 689x388px
>>85708515
>compelling character in the blind warrior monk.
I am one with the force the force is one with me
>>
I don't understand how someone could prefer Rogue One over TFA. I thought TFA was fairly mediocre but at least it was colourful and had a couple good characters. Rogue One had me bored out of my mind 80% of the time with absolutely no good characters. Not to mention the whole thing felt miserable and gave me no reason to care.
>>
>>85690796
>never used again by either side
>what is hoth
they're usually not used by individual soldiers because they're heavy and require large power packs which are dangerous
baz used one because he doesn't give a fuck but they're not something you would issue to every soldier.
>>
oh look, /tv/ is following blind contrarianism again.

Bravo.
>>
>>85688940
this was infuriating, especially since they pretty much copied kyle katarn's costume for Casian
>>
Disney has critics by the balls.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/13/movies/star-wars-rogue-one-review.html?_r=0

>Whether that is enough — whether the fractures in the Rebel Alliance and the power struggles in the imperial ranks quicken our pulses and engage our emotions — is the big question, but it really isn’t a question at all. Millions of people will sit through this thoroughly mediocre movie (directed with basic competence by Gareth Edwards from a surprisingly hackish script by Chris Weitz and Tony Gilroy) and convince themselves that it’s perfectly delightful. It’s so much easier to obey than to resist. The spoiler warning sent by the Disney empire instructed journalists to “continue to be our partners on this journey,” and defiance is unthinkable, even if “partner” is taken as a synonym for “shill.”
>>
>>85690796
>bitching about imaginary machine guns in a fantasy movie
>so obsessed he can't suspend disbelief and just enjoy the movie
>unironically uses a wrestling term to refer to a character's death

Sir you can't just leave all this spaghetti here
>>
>>85688940
Rogue One was the best Star Wars movie since Empire. I know you wanna seem all cool and edgy and hate on it because (gasp!) Disney made it but you just come off sounding like a lonely elitist cunt. The movie was amazing, it's too bad you feel like you have to be "too cool for school" to let yourself enjoy it too. I bet you're the kind of edgetard that will argue what a masterpiece Revenge of the Sith was.
Thread posts: 90
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.