[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will there ever be a horror film that is as good as the video

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

File: silent-hill-2.jpg (47KB, 1000x562px) Image search: [Google]
silent-hill-2.jpg
47KB, 1000x562px
Will there ever be a horror film that is as good as the video games Silent Hill 1, 2, 3, and 4, especially 2? As of now there is not.
>inb4 vidya is shit
most is but Silent Hill is truly exceptional
>>
>>85661846
Probably not, part of the reason for what made SH2 great was how the story was integrated into the gameplay
>>
File: sh4.jpg (530KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
sh4.jpg
530KB, 2560x1600px
>>85662584
SH4's story is underrated as fuck too. The way it's told is very clever usage of the medium and could never be adapted to film.
>>
>>85662677
Haven't played SH4 so can't comment on that. Well it's kinda sad to see horror movies pander to so many demographics when there's a pretty steady demand for great storytelling in horror. Sad to see a great genre relegated to such mediocrity.
>>
File: Silent_Hill_4_-_Ghosts_(5).png (594KB, 709x531px) Image search: [Google]
Silent_Hill_4_-_Ghosts_(5).png
594KB, 709x531px
>>85662677
SH4 is unironically my favourite of the original 4.

I just think the story is interesting, the concept is neat and the ghosts are by far the scariest enemies in the whole series
>>
File: jacobs_ladder_still_a_l.jpg (40KB, 768x433px) Image search: [Google]
jacobs_ladder_still_a_l.jpg
40KB, 768x433px
>>85663317
if you enjoy horror films and play Silent Hill I'm sure you've already seen it but if not be sure to watch Jacob's Ladder. One of the best horror films ever and almost certainly SH's greatest inspiration. Play SH4, it's super underrated, rough around the edges but it does some of the coolest things in the series.
>>85663694
for me it's 2>1>4>3, 3 is still great and did some stuff best of all but it's the least inspired/original of the classic SH games IMO.
>>
>>85664287
Definitely seen JL, a really good film but what really attracted me to the games where its themes, most notable in SH2. SH 2 has quite possibly the best portrayal of depression in a game (or in any fictional medium). The scene in the OP pic was what made me take notice, considering the way he talks and how he handles himself. He felt like a person who has almost nothing and just fills up his day with meandering. Usually characters such as these feel very tired and uninspired and the story of the game isn't that unique but James just stays with you long after the game has ended. My only gripe would be that the dialogue is a bit too on the nose and feels a bit corny. Really glad to see this thread not turn into a shitpost fest
>>
File: sh2.png (628KB, 2784x1824px) Image search: [Google]
sh2.png
628KB, 2784x1824px
>>85665184
Jaems is a treasure, it'll always be beyond me how some people think his VA sucks, same as Angela. Flaming staircase was one of the best scenes in the game, Angela being so suddenly grounded in her preformance compared to her usual weird, airy self really added to the impact of the scene.
>Or maybe... you think you can save me? Will you love me? Take care of me? Heal all my pain? That's what I thought.
>James just remains silent
>the inflection on James' line "that's ridiculous, I'd never kill myself"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyaLoaUbExk
>>
>>85661846
I'm just grateful that 3D shit movie wasn't trying to be sh2 or that there hasn't and hopefully won't be any attempt at it. They can use pyramid head as an ornament all they want but only the ones who played truly fuckin know.
>>
>video game man child has watched every horror film and can say without question they are worse than his poorly written """deep""" japanese jumpscare simulators on the ps2
>>
>>85666295
Something i've noticed about weebs and video game players who consider games serious art is an inability to see any actual subtle subtext. They think heavy handed "HES GUILTY ABOUT HIS WIFES DEATH SO THE MONSTER HAS TITS LIKE HIS WIFE" is the utmost in symbolism because they literally can't comprehend anything else. I enjoy these games but people like OP seriously have 90 IQ
>>
I love Silent Hill 1-4 and the feeling of isolation and desperation is unparalleled. I still get nervous while playing the first one. I hope I'll never get used to it.
>>
Are we ever getting a proper hd re release with shit not completely ruined?
>>
>>85667040
>will Konami ever be good again?
lol
>>
>>85667040
I would never bet on that. Konami only makes pachinkos now.
>>
>>85666295
>I have never played Silent Hill please rape my face
there are three or four jumpscares max throughout all four Silent Hill games combined.
>>
>>85667040
Probably not which is absolutely baffling, the PC versions work perfectly and look amazing with a minor fan patch and there is currently NO way for Konami to make money off the PC ports. They could spend like 2 weeks time making official patches for 2, 3, and 4 on PC and sell them on Steam. They're nearly perfect ports and they are the best way to play IMO.
>>
File: 1489323266929.jpg (62KB, 719x719px) Image search: [Google]
1489323266929.jpg
62KB, 719x719px
>>85666404
>pleb only notices the most obvious surface level symbolism
>calls others brainlets
>>
>>85667241
I thought they lost the code?
>>
File: sh guide.png (2MB, 1300x3277px) Image search: [Google]
sh guide.png
2MB, 1300x3277px
>>85667365
The PC ports are still easily accessible on torrent websites, they could just steal it from there or reverse engineer it from a disk. Losing the source code was only a problem because the games had to be altered to work on PS3/X360 but that wouldn't matter with PC.
>>
Be honest, did you figure out the piano puzzle all by yourself or with some help?
>>
>>85667581
figured it out by myself eventually, the main thing that stumped me was that I didn't pay attention to the title "A tale of birds without a voice" so i was trying to work with the keys that WERE making noise instead of vice versa. It's one of the best puzzles in the series but honestly I think it's a bit harsh for the first fucking puzzle, the SH2 coin puzzle is a more reasonable first encounter.
>>
>>85667581
I finished la mulana without a guide ama
>>
>>85667516
cheers for this
>>
>>85667956
no problem, anyone that likes horror should play SH1-4, even if they generally dislike vidya and it's hard to find a good way to play them today.
>>
>>85667581
by myself
>>
You cant make a game into a movie when the story of the game revolves around the gameplay. This is why game movies almost always fail and are in general a massive waste of time.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.