[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Max Landis is a fucking enigma to me. He's got phenomenal

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 9

Max Landis is a fucking enigma to me.

He's got phenomenal ideas and can pitch greatstuff. But he's somehow a fucking hack when it comes to execution.

How can this be??
I want to like him, but he's terrible by any metric.
>>
>>85653166
>He's got phenomenal ideas and can pitch greatstuff.
No, you are just a brainlet.
>>
File: 1381942615871.jpg (57KB, 605x605px) Image search: [Google]
1381942615871.jpg
57KB, 605x605px
>>85653166
> He's got phenomenal ideas
>>
>>85653166
If not for his ethnicity and his father's connections he would be nothing.
>>
Max "How do I" Landis
>>
I liked the dirk gently show he did.

>inb4 it's not faithful enough to the source
>>
>>85653166
He has 1 good idea of every 10 he pitches. Of all the movies he's written, that one's Chronicle.
>>
Will he ever be paired w/ a director to match his ideas?
>>
>>85653551
Max 'Can't' Landis
>>
>>85653166
>phenomenal ideas
>>
>>85655311
Well literally Bright, but I'm sure someone will say that doesn't count.
His Bradley Cooper movie will depend entirely on a talented director
>>
>>85653166
creating good art is not easy
>>
>>85653166
He sticks his ground with his projects and values though, and that's hard to come by. People hate it when you do this, I know first hand.
>>
>>85655447
>People hate it when you do this, I know first hand.
Explain.
>>
File: 1497964509163.jpg (43KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1497964509163.jpg
43KB, 640x480px
>>85653166
>He's got phenomenal ideas
>>
File: 1495308779769.gif (2MB, 270x188px) Image search: [Google]
1495308779769.gif
2MB, 270x188px
>>85653166
Superman: American Alien was a 10/10 comic book miniseries.

Sometimes people miss, sometimes people hit.
>>
He's talked a lot about what working on the industry is like, though. Not as a way to excuse himself and say "it's not my fault", but simply calling it what is.

Writers don't write movies, they write a script, and a lot of the time that's where their involvement ends. Whatever changes are made later, either by producer, director, or even the actors, is done without consulting the writer on whether that's good or doesn't fuck with the story in any way. He's said that for most of the movies he's not even invited to the set, let alone the script readings.

Compare any of the movies he's written the script for to Dirk Gently, which he not only writes but also oversees on every level as the showrunner.
>>
>>85655487
>Be in high school
>Be on school's cross country team
>Before every meet, our team is congregated under the team's tent waiting for the races to start
>Coach's wife and 1 year old daughter always shows up about 30 minutes before the race
>1 year old daughter always recognizes are uniforms, and runs up to us to give each individual person on the team a hug
>We look absolutely ridiculous when she does this, and are laughed at by everyone
>One day I get absolutely annoyed when she does it
>She gets to me, and I push her off of me, propelling he about 4 feet in the air
>Coach is absolutely infuriated at me for refusing to baby sit his child, and starts to yell at me
>I start to yell back and tell him how his daughter made our team look like an absolute joke before every race
>Kicks me off the team right then and there

I didn't give a fuck then, and still don't give a fuck now. I stood my ground and stayed by my principles. It's not my fault he's raising a whore for a daughter.
>>
>>85655650
Your so edgy kid
>>
>>85655650
Kid kicker.

You made us all proud.
>>
>>85655650
Are you saying you got assblasted because a toddler thought it was cute to give hugs? Jaysis
>>
>>85655614
Yer, the latter is gash, gash for nigras!
>>
>>85653166
Because he's not the one executing it.
>>
>>85655650
>>She gets to me, and I push her off of me, propelling he about 4 feet in the air
Is that even legal?
>>
File: 1499917032392.png (287KB, 368x469px) Image search: [Google]
1499917032392.png
287KB, 368x469px
>>85655650
Autism
>>
>>85655650
>and I push her off of me, propelling he about 4 feet in the air

you threw a one year old four feet in the air and the father didn't flatten you?

cool story bro.
>>
>>85656080
He was a teacher and a coach, I would've rightfully sued his ass if he got physical with me. I should've sued him for sexual harassment from his daughter too.
>>
Writes great script, sells it.

His job is done.

Then the execs hires someone to rewrite a little, director rewrites, hires rewriters, actors come on and suggest stuff, filming changes stuff, budget changes stuff.

Stfu OP when you know zero about filmmaking.
>>
>>85655650
You were in the wrong.
>>
>>85653166
He's a fucking cuck retard with shit ideas. Kys.
>>
>>85653405
You can chop heads off with a helicopter blade and your son can still work in Hollywood if you're a jew.
>>
>>85653166
Max "Nepotism" Landis

Max "Son of a Child Murderer" Landis

OUT! OUT! OUT!
>>
>>85653627
>good idea
>Chronicle
It's just a mix of Akira/Carrie/Blair Witch Project
>>
Just suck his cock already /tv/
>>
>>85655650
>Be in high school

Stopped reading here.
>>
>>85653166
>He's got phenomenal ideas and can pitch greatstuff

Listen to his pitch for a LOTR sequel trilogy then get back to me on that.
>>
File: 1501187536234.jpg (269KB, 600x908px) Image search: [Google]
1501187536234.jpg
269KB, 600x908px
>>85653166
>He's got phenomenal ideas
>>
>>85653166
he's an ideas guy, but he needs somebody to do the substance

this isn't a foreign concept in various forms of media. Even fucking video games understand this
>>
I like his spirit and his motivational core youtube videos are pretty fun. But I dislike how he seems to try to play off every bad product as NOT ME GUYS! IT'S THE STUDIO! LOOK HOW MANY TIMES MY IDEA GOT REWRITTEN!

Even if that's true, his track record speaks for itself. Not a lot of great projects.
>>
>>85655650
Absolute Nonsense.
>>
>>85653405
Pretty sure being John Landis' father works as reverse nepotism. He made it in hollywood despite being his son, not because.
>>
>tfw you follow him on Twitter and he seems like a genuine, nice person and better than the vast majority of people in Hollywood
>>
>>85653166
None of his ideas are good. Every one of them is retarded.
>>
>>85655650
What's the problem with a kid giving you a hug?
>>
>>85657025

Every story is just the crucifixion or The Odyssey. Who cares.
>>
I hate it when some film crashes and burns and this guy is like "I CAN DO BETTER HERE'S MY PITCH".
>>
He reminds me of Kevin Smith in someways.

You make one good thing in Hollywood and the rest of your career is chasing that hype and success again.
Somehow you are also the go-to guy about all things geek and you can actual talk whole shit ton about the geeky things in a somewhat entertaining way.

But then people get sick of you.
>>
>>85657783
Are you literally retarded?
>>
>>85657783
It helped get his foot in the door very early one.
>>
>>85657783
top kek, do you think he made it on talent?
>>
Dirk gentlys is perfect.
>>
>son of a successful Jewish director
HMMM...I WONDER HOW HE GOT A ROLE IN HOLLYWOOD

>inb4 successful
At killing people
>>
>>85655311
He literally wrote and directed one movie that ended up being total shit. He is just shit when it comes to making film, period. He is good at writing stories and analyzing stories, hence why he is good at pitching some creative ideas and analyzing stuff. He is also adept at Hollywood business, so he can explain and analyze things in an accessible way, although that's more to do with him being a jew.
>>
>>85656274
>max landis
>writes great script
I think you might be the one who doesnt know too much about filmmaking
>>
>>85655650
You win the biggest flag award today
>>
>>85655650
>Autism: The Post
>>
>>85653166
A script isn't a movie. A good script can become a crap movie and vice versa.

I think Max is kind of a hack but this is still true.
>>
File: meoDmyI.webm (1MB, 360x270px) Image search: [Google]
meoDmyI.webm
1MB, 360x270px
>>85653166
>>
daily reminder that if the California judicial system worked Max Landis wouldn't exist since his dad would have still been serving that jail sentence
>>
Because to get a movie made you just need to pitch well and impress an executive. Get them excited to front the money.

He's a good talker.
>>
>>85655650
>>85655650

jesus fucking christ people like you are why i dont actually engage in conversation on this board.

are you honestly unaware of how much of a fucking loser you are?
>>
>>85659474
what's this from?
>>
>>85659716
the twilight zone movie directed by john landis

>Director John Landis violated California's child labor laws by hiring 7-year-old Myca Dinh Le and 6-year-old Renee Shin-Yi Chen without the required permits. Landis and several other staff members were also responsible for a number of labor violations connected with other people involved in the accident, all of which came to light after the incident had occurred.

>Le and Chen were being paid under the table to circumvent California's child labor laws, which did not permit children to work at night. Landis opted not to seek a special waiver, either because he did not think he would get permission for such a late hour or because he knew he would never get approval to have young children as part of a scene with a large number of explosives. The casting agents were unaware that the children would be involved in the scene. Associate producer George Folsey, Jr. told the children's parents not to tell any firefighters on set that the children were part of the scene, and also hid them from a fire safety officer who also worked as a welfare worker. A fire safety officer was concerned the blasts would cause a crash, but did not tell Landis of his concerns. Morrow's friend and former Combat! co-star Dick Peabody wrote that Morrow's last words before the accident were "I've got to be crazy to do this shot. I should've asked for a double."
>>
>>85659716
An example of how Hollywood values human life.
>>
>>85659978

jesus fucking christ.

Thanks for the info anon
>>
>>85653166
reminds me of Paul Denino
>>
>>85659978

I assume the parents and Morrow's family got a fuck huge payout for this?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kdSN4NBvCA&t=0s

mfw based max landis triggers autism girl
>>
>>85655650
>People actually replying to this as if it's real
>>
>>85660163
I like how he hasn't backed down on his TFA criticism. Rey is bad and people should feel bad about not realizing she's bad.
>>
>>85660163
>old man jar jar

intrigued desu
>>
>>85655614
it depends on the project, though. some writers are on set and involved in rewrites as production goes on, ie lord of the rings.
>>
File: 1463256330483.jpg (92KB, 871x689px) Image search: [Google]
1463256330483.jpg
92KB, 871x689px
>>85657783
>he's a victim goyim
>>
>>85660163

Yea this shows just how he gets his script sold.

Dude is engaging as fuck
>>
>>85653166
He's got good ideas but so does just about every other asshole on this fucking planet. "Good ideas" are worth shit if you can't actually make them work, and Max Landis can't make "good ideas" work.
>>
i like his youtube videos about writing and that's about it.
>>
>>85660163
anyone else think Max Landis auditioned for Kylo Ren and they just decided to cast the similar looking dude Adam Driver
>>
>>85653166
Anyone can put together an idea and smoothly make it sound like it's a surefire hit
That's all Max Landis has: The knowledge to know how you pitch an idea and make it sound clever and riveting and emotionally resonant, at least for the moment
>>
>>85655650
nice b8
>>
>>85655650

(YOU)
>>
>>85653166

He just needs more practice, I'm sure he'll find his footing after he's got 3 or 4 more wide release feature films under his belt.
>>
Didn't Max Landis use to post on /tv/?
>>
>>85661565
mods probably banned him like they ban most users nowadays. then just expect everyone to come back after 3days without any chance for appeal. im a couple bans away from never coming back. i'm in "search for other board sites" mode right now. once i find one im comfortable settling into then i probably wont return
>>
>>85655650
Excelent start for your school shooter pitch, Max
>>
>>85656165
This is bad bait, no one is this much of a cunt
>>
>>85655650
How does it feel to be a virgin?
>>
>>85653166
Literally what the call an "ideas man" in the industry.
>>
>>85663212
This doesn't even fucking make sense. Never post here again.
>>
>>85663291
If you've unironically never heard that term, then you're underage. Never post here again.
>>
>everything's been done so rather than try to find a creative angle on the hero's journey or explore non-linear narratives I'll just smash together preexisting concepts and hope some of them don't completely suck
he's a competent film critic but he's just not that good of a writer
>>
>>85660163
He's charismatic, which is probably more than any of us posting on this korean puppet show forum can say.
>>
>>85655650
yeah you're full of shit and never ran XC. who the fuck sits on their asses waiting for their uniforms to be delivered on a silver platter before a meet? why the fuck aren't you fags warming up? also why aren't you in charge of your own god damn uniforms? You really need mommy to dry clean it for you?
I bet you're a heel-striker you ultra fag
>>
>>85663824
Where in the fuck did he say they were waiting on their uniforms before the meet? They're waiting on the races to start
>American education
>>
>>85664038
>30 minutes before a fucking race
>daughter shows up with their uniforms
No self respecting team worth a shit would warm up without their own god damn uniform on, which means he was sitting on his ass just waiting for his loli delivery
Since you're obviously a fat fuck you shouldn't comment on shit you have no knowledge of, like high school sports
>>
>>85664280
Where in the fuck are you reading that the ONE YEAR OLD daughter is showing up with their uniforms? He clearly says she runs up to them because she recognizes their uniforms. And yes, I ran xc in high school, I understand how it works.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.