[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone else here didn't like how this barely had any plot

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: Dunkirk.jpg (69KB, 635x939px) Image search: [Google]
Dunkirk.jpg
69KB, 635x939px
Anyone else here didn't like how this barely had any plot to it at all?

>dude muh three perspectives

I enjoyed Spiderman: Homecoming more than this film, based solely on the fact that it actually had a story.
>>
>I enjoyed Spiderman: Homecoming more

ok bye
>>
File: 1461275076182.jpg (86KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1461275076182.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
>The fastidiously severe images that are usually a watermark of Nolan’s willful artistry here give way to an anonymously practical recessiveness; rather than inflect his images, he lets the scale of his format, the 70mm. negative and the IMAX screen, do the bulk of the visual work. The next step in the movie’s immersive viewing might have been for cold water to wash along the aisles. Hans Zimmer’s absurdly overbearing music, which virtually bellows emotional commands at viewers, is matched by Nolan’s use of bass sounds—whether those of the music or of sound effects—that made the floor rumble and the seats shake at the IMAX screening I attended. The sensory overload of “Dunkirk” is also an anti-intellectual barrage that effaces the actual differences that were overcome with difficulty in pursuing the war—not just personal ones but also skepticism of bureaucracy, resentment of military discipline and hierarchy, social and political conflicts—the full spectrum of public discord that may have been muted in the midst of the war but that were detailed afterward by journalists, historians, and artists. (George Orwell’s wartime writings also give a sense of it.) “Dunkirk” seems, rather, like one of the self-censoring exhortations of wartime itself. Nolan’s sense of memory and of history is as flattened-out and untroubled as his sense of psychology and of character.
>>
>>85608011

>i watch movies entirely for the plot
>i don't understand what visual storytelling is
>i want the exposition to be spoon-fed to me in voice-overs

reddit is that way, friend
>>
>>85608819
>visual storytelling
>Wow, IMAX! It's huge! All i need to see, A+ Bravo Nolan you've done it again!

Nolan is Reddit: The Director, friend
>>
but dude world war 2 lmao

hollywood is running out of capeshit to recycle so now they're moving on to history

now we'll get a movie about every wikipedia article there is
>>
>>85608888
see>>85608819
>reddit is that way, friend
>>
>>85608011
Well unlike most nolan films famous for their plot twists and so on, this movie is very simple and telling the story non-chronologically makes a lot of sense as otherwise you would have 1/3 of the movie being about some troops getting off the beach, then 1/3 of the movie about the boat heading to dunkirk, and then 1/3 of the movie just plane footage with a final. Sure someone might edit such a thing when it comes out, but the intercutting made a lot of sense.

There IS a plot, even if simple, as each of the three stories has a well defined dramatic path with intros, rising tension, a climax, falling tension, and the conclusion.

I know it TV job to hate what is popular, but this is one of those movies that genuinely should be viewed as a top ten movie since 2010.
>>
>>85608819
>>85608952
funny you say that when it's from Nolan and people liked batman and interstellar way more
>>
If you care about history you completely ignore fiction. If you want to see a few pieces of vintage uniforms and so forth filmed with modern equipment, you watch a war movie now and then and skip over the boring bits.

For example Fury had delicious vintage AFVs. Of course the rest of it was cartoonish but if you expect the general public to care you have the 'tism.
>>
Nolan, the master of movie puzzles is very bad at even comprehed the puzzles of the human heart.

How ironic.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN3yrJP24-I
>>
>>85608011
>implying kino needs story
>implying story doesn't hold kino back

go read a book kid
>>
>>85610171
>go read a book
>implying story doesn't hold pure literature back
>not reading solely for the prose

go play a videogame kid
>>
The problem of the film isn't that it doesn't have a strong plot. It's that the other parts (like cinematography and characters) aren't good enough to make up for it.
>>
>First reviews come out
>"OMG NOLAN DID IT AGAIN PRAISE BE HE!!"
>A week later
>"This movie is trash like every other movie he made !!"
>>
I loved this movie but why didn't they end it with bane next the plane, why did they cut back to the guy on the train for a split second before the credits?
>>
File: IMG_5800.png (45KB, 200x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5800.png
45KB, 200x194px
>>85608011
>I enjoyed Spider-Man: Homecoming more than this film
>>
>>85608011
>it's an "ameritard can't fathom the idea that a ww2 film doesn't have to always be the usual WE THE BEST LET'S KILL ALL THE EBIL NAZIS SO HEROIC SO PATRIOTIC SO VICTORIOUS shootout gorefest flick" episode

What do you need to call it "a plot"? A scene where Tom Hardy is sipping tea and jerking off to dear ol' Marge in the airbase? A scene of all the soldiers telling corny childhood stories around a campfire? A shoved love side story? Exposition dumps? Mid-bombing quips and jokes?
I swear you summerfag surface-level tourist crossposters are the worst.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.