[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't understand this sci-fi memery speak, what did he

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: maxresdefault.jpg (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
59KB, 1920x1080px
I don't understand this sci-fi memery speak, what did he mean by seeing "attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate"? Is there a deeper meaning he's trying to convey?
>>
File: Girls.jpg (77KB, 600x536px) Image search: [Google]
Girls.jpg
77KB, 600x536px
>he's never seen C-beams glitter near Tannhauser Gate
>>
>>85603685

Watch Soldier. Basically Earth in the Blade Runner universe has mastered space travel and there are battles raging across space.
>>
Were they even real memories, or implants?
>>
>>85603685
material for future spin-offs
>>
I swear to God, if the sequel has Gosling visiting it or any references to Tannhäuser in any way, shape or form, I'll hunt down Ridley Scott and send him to the retirement home manu military with a bent axe up his ass. I don't wanna know what a c-beam is, just like I didn't wanna know about the space jockey, you old senile fuck!
>>
>>85603987
Will the sequel make Deckard a replicant and tarnish both the greatness of the original film and what little is left of Harrison Ford's integrity?
>>
>>85603987
>watching the sequal at all

I refuse to see this "Ghost in the shell" , overly used CGI mess......this sequal was never asked for.
>>
>>85603685
>Tannhäuser

would that be pronounced tann-hoyser?
>>
>>85604110

I always thought Deckard was a replicant, or at least it was heavily implied.
>>
>>85604188
Ridley Scott says yes; Harrison Ford and the writers of the screenplay say absolutely not. It doesn't make any damn sense for him to be but Ridley Scott has demonstrated with the Alien franchise that he's capable of sabotaging his own work.
>>
>>85604188
In the book he's not but in the film its implied he is but never confirmed.
>>
>>85604110
Deckard Was a replicant dude
which is even worse since he now is 10x his life expectancy
>>
>>85604184
if hes german, yes
>>
>>85604188
It wasn't.

REEEEEEEEE.

They included the unicorn later, cause Edward James olmos it's good at origami.
>>
>>85603987
It's not riddles directing. Some other guy.
>>
>>85604239
There's a half a dozen reasons it wouldn't make any sense, as well as completely undermining the central theme of the film, but Ridley Scott says he was. He seems to be the only one involved in the film that thought so.
>>
>>85604216
Someone should take Ridley Scotts drivers licence away....he 79 years old and crashes every vehicle hes driven in the past 6 years

Prometheus
Alien Covenant
Blade Runner
>>
So were the memories of the attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion and C-beams at the Tannhauser Gate real? Or implanted?
>>
File: based rutger.jpg (160KB, 783x1200px) Image search: [Google]
based rutger.jpg
160KB, 783x1200px
>>85603685

Rutger Hauer made up the 'Tannhäuser gate' part of the monologue himself, as well as the whole 'lost in time like tears in rain'.

>When Hauer performed the scene, the film crew applauded and some even cried.
>>
>>85603685
The guy is about to die and all he has left are his memories. Don't they say you see your life flash by at that moment?
>>
>>85603685

He saw a lot of amazing shit.
>>
>Undermining the beauty of your own film to promote a bullshit plot twist that only you like and defend it for decades afterward
>>
>All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain

How much of a hard life did Roy had?
>>
>>85604110
>what little is left of Harrison Ford's integrity?
part time
>>
>>85604325

He did all that in a 4 year lifespan?
>>
>>85604263
He's producing and keeping control over it, he doesn't want another Aliens
>>
>>85604355
If I'm not mistaken Replicants were made to do dangerous jobs or fight in wars.
So it isn't too far fetched to think he saw combat
>>
>>85604355
Replicants were made to serve specific purposes, that was kind of the point of it, when you are made beautiful, strong, basically perfect and serve a purpose you can achieve a lot, still these guys feel empty and humanity is jealous of their own creation
>>
They talk about the whole Deckard is a replicant thing in the Dangerous Days documentary which is damn good. 3.5 hours though, so only worth it if you really like the film or want to know gory details of filmmaking in the 80s.
>>
>>85603685
>attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion
I always assumed it meant the constellation Orion. Like there was some war near betelgeuse (which is arabic for armpit of the god, for its location in the constelation). So a space battle.
>and watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate
c as in the scientific notation. Like the "c" in "E=mc^2" the speed of light. Laser beams. Which would be invisible unless they're traveling through a medium (think about a laser pointer or flashlight beam going through smoke or fog). Tannhauser was a wagner opera, so naming something after it would have to be appropriately dramatic and grand.
But hes not just saying that he saw pretty things, but that they were moments that touched him spiritually and philosophically. Basically watching man use his godlike ability to create life and bridge time and space, and it's used in the purpose of destruction.
He's doing the same destructive things in the persuit of more life. He realizes that's human, that everyone is railing against god for more time, and that there is no cure for it. He spares deckard because he realizes it won't do anything. That were all afraid of death. He tries to pass along his final wisdom and accepts fate like a man.
>>
>>85604110
I took the point to be the fact that that question was even raised was enough.
>>
>>85604355
Replicants dont get time off or vacation. A soldier model is probably just constantly shuffled from conflict to conflict until they die in battle or hit the four year lifespan.
>>
>>85604325
>he guy is about to die and all he has left are his memories. Don't they say you see your life flash by at that moment?
That is not true. I have known this since I had a ... moment ... on my motorcycle two years ago when I KNEW I was going to die and nothing flashed by me. You just sort of get tunnel vision with things going black on the periphery and you kinda pass out.
>>
>>85603685
>watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate
For many, many years I didn't get that he was talking about "c"-beams, as in, a WEAPON. I thought he was talking about some kind of otherworldly, mystical space creatures called "seabeams".
>>
>>85603811
They were implants, because he never really was a Nexus 6 replican,t he never left earth because you are a fucking moron.
>>
>>85604282
>RS: Oh, it was always my thesis theory. It was one or two people who were relevant were... I can't remember if Hampton agreed with me or not. But I remember someone had said, “Well, isn't it corny?” I said, “Listen, I'll be the best fucking judge of that. I'm the director, okay?” So, and that, you learn -- you know, by then I'm 44, so I'm no fucking chicken. I'm a very experienced director from commercials and The Duellists and Alien. So, I'm able to, you know, answer that with confidence at the time, and say, “You know, back off, it's what it's gonna be.” Harrison, he was never -- I don't remember, actually. I think Harrison was going, “Uh, I don't know about that.” I said, “But you have to be, because Gaff, who leaves a trail of origami everywhere, will leave you a little piece of origami at the end of the movie to say, ‘I've been here, I left her alive, and I can't resist letting you know what's in your most private thoughts when you get drunk is a fucking unicorn!’” Right? So, I love Beavis and Butthead, so what should follow that is “Duh.” So now it will be revealed [in the sequel], one way or the other.
>>
>>85605660
It's amazing this rambling, senile old man still gets asked to do movies.
>>
File: 692.gif (486KB, 238x155px) Image search: [Google]
692.gif
486KB, 238x155px
>>85605118
>>
>>85605711
Hes made enough movies I would call favorites that if he wants to go senile on the screen he's earned the right.
And his movies STILL look great, he's just always been at the mercy of the script and editor when it comes to the story and more human elements. Of his movies. I think at this point the people he used to use are all dead or retired. Also his brothers deaths fucked him up.
>>
File: zero percent funny.png (387KB, 311x692px) Image search: [Google]
zero percent funny.png
387KB, 311x692px
>When you have a really vivd dream about being a replicant sent to do a job you'll die at the end of and you can't tell it's a dream
>>
Trivia: in the original script when Roy kills Tyrell he was going to turn out to be a replicant, then on another level he was going to find the actual Tyrell's long-dead body. They never filmed it.
>>
File: Nicholson.gif (2MB, 346x259px) Image search: [Google]
Nicholson.gif
2MB, 346x259px
>>85604922
>and nothing flashed by me.
Sounds like your life to me.
>>
>>85603685
Shit movie.

Boring af.

Cinematography was good tho.
>>
>>85604922
There is always someone that say 'b-but me". Not everyone is the same, not all man dies the same way.

You'd an accident, it seems. It was fast, your mind didn't conjure any memories. Some die sleeping, some (awake) die faster than you that they are completely unaware to their fate, some have time to ponder...get what I'm saying? Grow some sensitivity to appreciate other's experiences (even in media form).

So, he knew he was dying and he had the time to think on his life, and life itself, and try to connect to another person in his final moments.
>>
>>85603685
What movie is this from
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.