[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is /tv/ so fixated on children's movies and movies for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 1

File: chewbacca.jpg (79KB, 1600x753px) Image search: [Google]
chewbacca.jpg
79KB, 1600x753px
Why is /tv/ so fixated on children's movies and movies for young kids if they supposedly had such a bad childhood?

Why do you want to relive the time you watched Star Wars while you could hear your mom sobbing through the walls?
>>
>>85596805
If someone had a bad childhood yet is nostalgic for the films of their childhood they're probably remembering those films as their only escape from the tough times and that is why they like them so much.
>>
>>85596805

because western culture in general is being infantilized by the media. we are constantly told that it's great to obsess over kid's movies dumb shit, to buy merchandise related to kid's movies and to base our identities around child's things.
>>
>>85596805
Cause I didn't have a bad childhood?
>>
>>85597043
then why do you feel the need to relive it
>>
>>85597396
Because it fills me with feelings of nostalgia and thoughts of a simpler easier time.

Or you know, the moves are just fun to watch.
>>
>>85596805
>Nerd culture is the product of a late capitalist conspiracy, designed to infantalize the consumer as a means of non-aggressive control
Pegg

>"The movies are for children but they don't want to admit it. There's a small group of fans that do not like comic sidekicks. They want the films to be tough like The Terminator and they get very upset and opinionated about anything that has anything to do with being childlike."
- George Lucas

>"SW ate the heart and the soul of Hollywood. It created the big-budget comic book mentality."
- P. Schrader

>"A 12yo boy told me proudly that he had seen SW over a 100 times? I said 'could you promise never to see it again?' He burst into tears. I just hope the lad, now in his 30s, isn't living in a fantasy world of secondhand childish banalities"
- Alec Guinness

>"I don't think they are making [comic book movies] an elevated art form, I think it's still just Batman running around in a stupid cape. It's for kids, it's adolescent in its core."
- David Cronenberg
>>
>>85597526
wow, Alec was a dick

kinda feel bad for the kid, imagine being a kid, meeting the guy who played Obi Wan Kenobi and he tells you never to watch his movie ever again
>>
>>85597701
It was for the kid's own good.

Star Wars is fucking cancer.
>>
>>85597714
Still makes him a bit of an asshole though.
>>
>>85597701
>>85597701
old farts grew up in a time before having to humor autistics was a requirement
>>
>escape shitty childhood into movies
>all the positive emotions in my life are tied to old movies
>>
>>85597752
It was a fucking 12 year old kid
>>
>>85597714
You cal talk to people without making them cry to be fair.
>>
>>85597526
>I only watch mature movies for mature people such as myself
>>
>>85597714

Mot nerd shit is fucking cancer. Pegg was spot on.You all claim to be onto the jews and their ways yet you lap up this mindless comic book vomit.
>>
>>85597831
t. Posts on Facebook he is "totally excited to see new avengers squee!"
>>
>>85597855
It's almost like there are people with different opinions on this populated website.
>>
Anyone who unironically labels themselves as part of a "nerd" culture/community deserves to be thrown into a dumpster. A waste of life, an embarrassment to their ancestors
>>
>>85597855
The consumption of anyone's creative output regardless of its intended audience is at its core fruitless and a waste of time. If you were truly "above it" you'd go out into the real world and have real experiences instead of artificial ones. But you sit there all high and mighty because you waste your life watching Kubrick instead of Star Wars. You're not fooling anyone but yourself.
>>
>>85598052
Theres a difference between experiencing Brothers Karamazov and consuming Harry Potter.
>>
>>85596805
>Why is /tv/ so fixated on children's movies and movies for young kids if they supposedly had such a bad childhood?

I read /tv/ every day and have been for years and bad childhoods are not a recurring theme on this board. My observations have been most of /tv/ comes from boring lower middle class families where Mom and Dad get along fine but are also distant.
>>
>>85598114
Only if it translates into the real world.
>>
>>85598138
Of course but pop culture is inherently more concerned with wish fufillment and manipulating feelings of nostalgia in manchildren than staples of high art
>>
>>85597701
>be Alec Guinness
>be a classic trained actor from England
>play in the Old Vic even before the war
>command a landind craft at the invasion of Sicily
>play with the likes of Olivier, Gielgud, Richardson
>successfully go to hollywood
>play in Lawrence of Arabia, Bridge of River Kwai, Doctor Zhivago
>get older
>get a script about some fairy tale bullshit space film
>realize, before anyone else, including its creator, how big it will be
>successfully negotiate royalties of the film so you can have a comfortable pension and start to star in films you actually like
>go to fucking tunisia to film that shit
>film is a success
>you become insanely healthy just with 2.25 percent of the gross royalties paid to the director, George Lucas, who received one-fifth of the box office takings
>son't have to take just any role any more
>return for the sequels to play some cameos in a goofy way
>years pass
>stupid twink comes and tells you how much he loved that bullshit and how he watched that fantasy shit 100 times

You know what!? I'd try to help him too!
>>
>>85598052

>>muh utilitarian anti art drivel

please jump in a well
>>
>>85596805
>Projecting this hard
My dad got me into star wars anon
>>
>>85596805
i didn't watch any star wars films until i was 18
>>
>>85597788
>It was a fucking 12 year old kid

twelve year old boys should be developing interests in school, sports and girls.

watching movies over and over again every day is what children who have the mental maturity of about 3-5 years old do.
>>
>>85596805

My adulthood is that much worse.

I've been stricken with a condition called Interstitial Cystitis and my only memories of a pain-free existence is as a child.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.