[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a couple episodes into season 2. I'm a bit late,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 9

File: 1280x720-xXT.jpg (244KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1280x720-xXT.jpg
244KB, 1280x720px
I'm a couple episodes into season 2. I'm a bit late, I know. What the hell happened? Did they get a new writer?
>>
season 2 is better than season 1 just keep watching. I thought season 3 was the best season of them all, every episode was interesting, unexpected and unique.
>>
>>85545377
I'll definitely stick with it. Right now, I'm a bit dumbfounded. The show underwent a major change in direction. It feels like all the loose ends from season 1 were resolved awkwardly, and the characters are behaving radically different. I'm enjoying it but I can't help but wonder what went on behind the scenes.
>>
Season 2 is objectively worse than season 1
>>
>>85545811
Enjoy. Season 1 was entirely based on a book, but Season 2 is completely and original and is amongst the best seasons of television ever made.
>>
>>85545977
For real? That's high praise. I liked the season premiere, but the second episode was just so jarring to me.
>>
the material in season 1 came mostly from a book written by someone who isn't a total retard

season 2 and 3 were entirely lindelof writing what essentially amounts to fanfiction of said book
>>
File: 1497904402147.jpg (148KB, 1919x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1497904402147.jpg
148KB, 1919x1079px
>>85546527
I watched every episode, and the series has plenty of moments that will blow you away. I won't go as far as to say it's the greatest show ever produced, but it has some of the greatest scenes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xscxEfujcsI
>>
File: 1354199345027.jpg (42KB, 210x263px) Image search: [Google]
1354199345027.jpg
42KB, 210x263px
>>85545335

is a good show anon. It does require a bit of faith and imagination tho, which I love.

also

> Matt is based af.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynoYJi35Ac
>>
>>85546986
aimee is my waifu
>>
>>85545335
This is the best show of the last 10 years.
I fucking stand by that statement

What other show even tries to go that level of emotional depth?
There is zero conflict but what there is between characters
It is very very good.

Season 2 is my favourite. Not saying that 3 is worse, it may be better objectively, but I liked 2 the most .
>>
>>85548004
>t. damon lindelof
>>
>>85548074
>>85546787
Leftovers is the best thing Lindelof ever has done.
He's a SHIT writer.
Just terrible
And yet Leftovers never stops being GOAT

I can only assume that the book writer was such a good influence and that Damon actually listened to him
>>
>>85548132
faulty assumption, as the second the book material ran out, leftovers is lost 2.0
>>
>>85548186
Except that Leftovers had a totally clear message throughout while LOST never knew what the fuck it was doing.
Even if Leftovers was written as it went on, it was totally consistent
>>
>>85548260
the message of the leftovers wears thin in the first episode
>>
>>85548260
the clear message being dude accept the mystery lmao

bravo lindelof
>>
>>85548318
I thought the message was kevin was jesus
>>
>>85548314
>>85548318
Who here /missedthepoint/
>>
>>85548362
what point? the point is to accept the mystery
>>
>>85548449
>I watched the intro credits of S2 and "figured" out the lyrics

Nah, moron. The point was that family means everything.
>>
>>85548492
that is the most laughable headcanon ive ever read
>>
File: 1404528398959.jpg (22KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
1404528398959.jpg
22KB, 400x300px
>all these plebs shitting on based lindelof and the LOST
I'm embarrassed on your behalf for expressing such shit opinions in a public forum

ps: the only thing that's objectively bad about The Leftovers is Max Richters shitty twee chinese restaurant score
>>
>>85548492
you literally made up a point to fit a completely pointless series
>>
>>85548556
>twee

wow, I haven't heard that for a decade
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
>piano music starts playing
>>
>show is literally: dude accept the mystery lmao
>the leftovers autists on this board routinely try and dissect this show and create their own theories for what happened

do you not see the problem with this? you are doing the very thing this show is telling you to not do. are you stupid?
>>
>>85548532
>>85548564
How the fuck can you watch this show and not come to this conclusion?
What was the entire point of the end of Season 2?
How did Kevin "come back from the dead"?

Why was Kevin Sr so distraught at the end of S3?

What did Kevin and Nora talk about in the final episode?
What bonded them together?
Love and fucking acceptance.

Love the people you are around. Love your family. Fuck the world.
That's what the show says.
>>
>>85548719
i think you need to accept the mystery LOL
>>
>>85548671
its a trapping of the late teens and early 20s to try, desperately, to ascribe meaning to absolutely everything.

This is basically what lindelof has built his entire career around.
>>
File: 1454900234609.jpg (562KB, 1709x2565px) Image search: [Google]
1454900234609.jpg
562KB, 1709x2565px
>>85548607
I feel it is the perfect adjective to describe Max Richter's """"compositions"""".
>>
>>85548719
The problem with that interpretation is how kevin abandons his family in the end to try to find nora
>>
>>85548837
and also, completely ignoring whether noras story is fake or real (because dude accept the mystery), she also abandons her family in her story.

it's not surprising leftovers fans are incredibly stupid.
>>
>>85548671
>>show is literally: dude accept the mystery lmao
The show is "let the mystery be" lol

and it works

Also I don't trust anyone's opinion of this show who hasn't seen and loved Picnic at Hanging Rock. That movie was a direct inspiration for The Leftovers
>>
>>85545942
your placement of words in wrong, season 2 objectively shits on season 1
>>
Avoid it like the plague . It's Lindelof
>>
>>85548884
>The show is "let the mystery be" lol

you aren't getting the joke, are you? because a serious man did the same thing this shitty show did and it did it better
>>
>>85548837
>>85548883
Kevin doesn't abandon his family.
It takes 10+ years to find Nora again.
Tommy and Jane are off doing their lives
And Kevin is a part of it.
Nora is also apart of Kevin's life and he doesn't give up on her.

Nora was wrong leaving Matt to die without her. She was like you fags who believed that things had to believed and had to be announced to the world as a true or false statement
Kevin didn't care about Nora's story inasmuch that it didn't affect how he felt.

You guys are shitposting with "Dude let the mystery be", but that's part of the truth of it. It doesn't matter so long as you have each other.
And that was always the point
>>
>>85549040
>She was like you fags who believed that things had to believed and had to be announced to the world as a true or false statement

Oh look, a completely random string of words that has no bearing upon what anyone has said and betrays the fact you're using imagined opposition to validate some random and possibly idiotic position.
>>
>>85549040
>Jane

who?

unless you missed remembered the name that holy kino slut JANE

jesus christ

margaret qualley is fucking perfect

tfw no jane GF
>>
>>85549146
You mock the "Let the mystery be" shit because you, apparently take the other side.
Fuck the mystery. Tell me what happened and tell me the truth.
Post machine Nora was afraid of those questions, so she never looked for anyone of her own life.
Not even Matt for his funeral.

Stupid people don't like The Leftovers. No surprise
>>
File: 1483075794600.jpg (87KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
1483075794600.jpg
87KB, 640x633px
>>85549368
>You mock the "Let the mystery be" shit because you, apparently take the other side.
>Fuck the mystery. Tell me what happened and tell me the truth.

kek. good luck with that, im sure damon left the secrets of the universe in this show somewhere, keep looking
>>
>>85549368
No, the show's "accept the mystery" bullshit is mocked because of how hackneyed it is. Lindelof didn't have any idea what was happening or what point there was to anything, as there's equal amounts of justification for just about any headcanon you want to ascribe to the show, just as you can find any amount of contradiction for any headcanon. As has been proven in this thread. By you.
>>
>>85548988
why can't I love both A Serious Man and The Leftovers for similar reasons?
>>
>>85549518
No one knew what was happening, and that was the point, you ignorant autistic negro
>>
>>85549559
Even the writers.
>>
>>85549594
Did you really expect a written out explanation of the Departure?
>>
>>85549630
No. What I expected was for the show to not constantly mine the departure for intrigue that could go nowhere. For the show to actually be character driven, rather than entirely plot driven.
>>
>>85549720
It was entirely character driven though
The Departure only ever showed up as a source of trauma
Replace the Departure with 9/11 and it'd be the exact same show
>>
>>85549720
>For the show to actually be character driven
the show is completely character driven though.
>>
>>85549764
>>85549834
No, sons, it wasn't. The definition of character driven is the events are the results of character actions/interaction. This does not apply, at all, to the leftovers. Plot just drops on characters constantly and all characters did was react to it, and not even in a manner that is remotely believable.
>>
>>85549856
>Plot just drops on characters constantly
Name one instance
>>
>>85549630
no one who watched this expected an answer. the first season was built on the fall out of the departure, that's fine. then season 2 comes around and all of a sudden kevin can't die and he's apparently jesus and goes to limbo to talk to dead people. it was hysterically bad. i really dont know how anyone took this show seriously by that point, it's just lindelof throwing mysterious shit at a wall and using 'lol let the mystery be bro' as an excuse for hack writing that means nothing
>>
>>85549905
Every matt episode
>>
>>85549905
kevin not dying is a plot thrown at kevin's face. there's absolutely nothing character driven about kevin being unable to die
>>
>>85549905
kevin's alternate personality
>>
>>85549917
Kevin can die.
He wasn't Jesus
It was just random chance he lived each time
>>
>>85549986
you're not letting the mystery be
>>
>>85549986
"random" events in a written narrative are plot, son.

Just because the plot of leftovers was "random bullshit happens for no reason" does not mean the show was character driven.
>>
>>85549950
>matt goes to gamble
>he wins
>he beats the head in of the person who tries to steal from him

>matt treats his wife
>she wakes up randomly as she does seldomly
>he treats it as a sign
>he thinks it means she has to be in Jarden

>matt goes on a trip
>someone says he's god
>he thinks that's bullshit
>he tries to speak to him anyways
>bullshit happens
>god gets eaten randomly

Where's the "forced plot" again?
>>
>>85550059
You said it yourself, though only once. Despite the fact it's the basis of every mattisode.

>bullshit happens
>>
>>85550093
>bullshit happens
Is not the same as "plot driven"
The show still responded to that bullshit emotionally

An episode of Star Trek is an example of plot driven shit where how people feel are secondary
>>
Would you take care of Mary that long?
>>
Was the world a better place on the "other side"? I mean, with less people, everyone can have a better life without crime and poverty, right? thats why the fargo girl was the only one to come back
>>
>>85550245
Yes, that is the definition of plot driven. Characters in star trek are just there as foil to plot. just like leftovers.
>>
>>85550325
Nora didn't go
She was scammed
>>
>>85550356
how?
>>
>>85550578
Because Nora would cry from the fucking rooftops if it were real
If she went to where the Departures went, she'd tell everyone.
>>
>>85545335
season 1 is the best. its all downhill from there. they focus way too much on biblical shite as well what happened to the people who disappeared. the ending is shit and some characters completely do a 180 on what they believe with some characters just completely fucking off in the 3rd season
>>
Were you a good gecko to your sister, anons?
>>
File: sad vincent.jpg (212KB, 1256x1611px) Image search: [Google]
sad vincent.jpg
212KB, 1256x1611px
>>85548631
>violins begin playing
>>
File: sad frog.jpg (18KB, 396x385px) Image search: [Google]
sad frog.jpg
18KB, 396x385px
The saddest line in the whole show is when Kevin is talking to John in the dog pound and John says how could Evey leave him if she loved him.
And Kevin says "What if she didn't?"

That's Kevin in a nutshell. Kevin's thing is that he doesn't really believe anyone can really love him.
I think we all feel that
>>
>>85550735
>some characters completely do a 180 on what they believe
post two examples of this happening
>>
>>85551098
Laurie does it like six times
>>
>>85551172
Laurie is always consistent
She wants to deny people pain.
And she often can't take that responsibility
>>
>>85551211
>She wants to deny people pain

>she spends the entire first season wallowing in pain with people wallowing in pain causing pain to her entire family

>>
>>85551270
Laurie joined the GR because she couldn't do it any more.
She couldn't burden the responsibility of shouldering the load of everyone's shoulder.

It was her rebellion when things were too much.
>>
>>85551378
negro, in the first season the focus characters were fucked up because they, in a moment, wanted the people who departed around them gone.
>>
>>85551449
Yeah, and?
Laurie didn't have anyone who departed.
Only the baby and she couldn't tell Kevin about it and how he would have felt
>>
>>85551530
>Laurie didn't have anyone who departed.
>Only the baby

>>
>>85551566
What we're saying is not incompatible
Laurie couldn't go back to Kevin because she couldn't tell him about the baby and she needed to
>>
>>85545335
it's a good show, but I didn't really like how it ended since it ended up being focused on Nora a lot and I really hated that character. the two Kevin death episodes and all the matt episodes are fucking kino though. it's worth watching the entire show just for those imo
>>
>>85551639
>hated Nora
seriously fuck off
>>
>>85551604
laurie wanted the baby gone because it meant she couldn't leave kevin
>>
>>85551449
>characters were fucked up because they, in a moment, wanted the people who departed around them gone
this is literally fan fiction and never stated or even mentioned in the show at all.
>>
>>85551656
Yes what we both say is true
>>
>>85551672
It's the central idea behind season 1. Its dropped in the later seasons because lindelof didn't understand it.
>>
>>85551654
Nora was a bitch in Season 3 though
>>
>>85551688
You're trying to say that laurie wants to deny people pain.

so to do that she inflicts pain upon her entire family by, functionally, committing suicide, but still being there.
>>
This show never had a plan for where it was going or what the point was but they came up with some interesting stories and it's all well-made. Nothing gets explained properly in the end so don't get your hopes up.
Also the fans of this show have an irresistible urge to use the word KINO constantly which is annoying.
>>
>>85551755
She's still selfish though
I'm not saying that she's a Jesus Christ who takes everyone's sins
But Laurie's job was to take pain as a psychiatrist and as we saw, there was a point where it was too much and she broke and said "fuck it all".

I guess it's more of a season 3 thing.
With her with John, she's making people happy despite the truth.
And when she drugs John and the rest at that Australian fuckhut, it's to prevent them from hearing her say that their wants are total bullshit and that Kevin is just a man.

Kinda surprised she didn't actually kill herself desu
>>
>>85551812
>plans
>explanations
What's it like being autistic?
>>
>>85551839
Laurie was a shitty psychiatrist. This is the fundamental core of her character. Something real happened to her, that she couldn't talk away with meaningless platitudes, and she couldn't cope, so she joined a cult.

Your read is the shittiest possible read and is utter hogwash based in absolutely nothing.
>>
>>85551812
>Nothing gets explained properly in the end

stick to your Walking Dead kid, you clearly can't handle pure telekino
>>
>>85551866
I know how dare someone want a TV show to make any sense
Only someone with a mental disability would want that
>>
>>85552023
leftovers made perfect sense you though...lmao. what shows do you enjoy that have 'plans for where it's going'?
>>
>>85552100
Breaking Bad. Not only did they throw a bunch of ideas and themes out, they actually followed them to their conclusion. Look I don't care, whatever, but this show was basically an art show where they had a bunch of cool ideas on screen that didn't add up to anything coherent. If that bothers you, get over it.
>>
>>85545335
Stop at Season 2. Please.

Season 3 was a joke. Almost literally. They go to Australia and shit and make a joke of everything.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.